Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I haven't played WoW in about 8 years but i still remember the "WHERE IS MANKIRKS WIFE" that was a constant presence in the chat there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The real troll is getting people to play MMORPG grindfests.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Sloober posted:

I haven't played WoW in about 8 years but i still remember the "WHERE IS MANKIRKS WIFE" that was a constant presence in the chat there.

Yeha you have to bear in mind that the Quest was not "Find Mankriks Wifes Body", it was "Find Mankirks Wife" with absolutely no indication of what you're looking for. iirc the body was just off the southern barrens road, just far away enough for you to disregard it and carry on running past it multiple times. I dont think there were any Map markers back then at all either

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KozmoNaut posted:

I agree. I've tried like 5 of them and City of Heroes was the only one I actually enjoyed. :rip:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Astrobastard posted:

Yeha you have to bear in mind that the Quest was not "Find Mankriks Wifes Body", it was "Find Mankirks Wife" with absolutely no indication of what you're looking for. iirc the body was just off the southern barrens road, just far away enough for you to disregard it and carry on running past it multiple times. I dont think there were any Map markers back then at all either

And now people complain that every WoW quest is "dumbed down" repeat stuff like collect poop. :shepface:

Personally my favorite WoW quest line was always the one in the shadow wood place, hosed if I remember the name, where not only was there a high level elite patrolling the whole area to gently caress you up but at the end of the quest line you summoned a really high level elite because the quest giver was a dick, and it promptly killed most if not all of the town and anyone who got in its way. His name was Stitches and he was my favorite enemy in that game. Then they nerfed him, and eventually just moved him off to some poo poo corner area where he doesn't even move.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

KozmoNaut posted:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Time and space are warping in Drangleic. I've never understood why so many people have such trouble with this.

Really the last thing that needs to be said on the subject is that the devs explicitly stated in the design works that it was meant to be a literal elevator up a volcano with Iron Keep resting in a caldera at the top. No time warps or spacial anomalies, they just failed to communicate their world design and owned the mistake.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Deified Data posted:

Really the last thing that needs to be said on the subject is that the devs explicitly stated in the design works that it was meant to be a literal elevator up a volcano with Iron Keep resting in a caldera at the top. No time warps or spacial anomalies, they just failed to communicate their world design and owned the mistake.

Good to know! Do you have a link?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Deified Data posted:

You just made me realize that Caldera isn't just some village name in Morrowind but rather a volcanic term lol.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Iron Crowned posted:

I agree. I've tried like 5 of them and City of Heroes was the only one I actually enjoyed. :rip:

Speaking of. Probably not as bad as the Barrens, but definitely the same kind of troll: The Hollows.

For people who don't know, The Hollows was the first optional zone in CoH, set in an area where a huge sinkhole opened up and unearthed a cave system and rock monsters. The lower level parts of the zone were the remains of the city itself, the sinkhole (and the parkland to the south) was for higher-level stuff.

The problem: the Hollows' level range was 6-15. The game's travel powers were unlocked at 14. So travelling around that sinkhole was both very hard, and necessary. The people angling for Flight could get Hover, allowing them to glide veeeery slowly over everything, but that wasn't very good either.

And the people who wanted Super Speed were double-hosed, since wven when they did get their travel power they had no verticality, making zones like the Hollows really painful even if you outlevelled the enemies.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Good to know! Do you have a link?

About halfway down the page: http://peterbarnard1984.tumblr.com/post/113787568485/dark-souls-2-design-works-translation-part-2

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

Speaking of. Probably not as bad as the Barrens, but definitely the same kind of troll: The Hollows.

For people who don't know, The Hollows was the first optional zone in CoH, set in an area where a huge sinkhole opened up and unearthed a cave system and rock monsters. The lower level parts of the zone were the remains of the city itself, the sinkhole (and the parkland to the south) was for higher-level stuff.

The problem: the Hollows' level range was 6-15. The game's travel powers were unlocked at 14. So travelling around that sinkhole was both very hard, and necessary. The people angling for Flight could get Hover, allowing them to glide veeeery slowly over everything, but that wasn't very good either.

And the people who wanted Super Speed were double-hosed, since wven when they did get their travel power they had no verticality, making zones like the Hollows really painful even if you outlevelled the enemies.

I can't imagine doing Hollows stuff as super speed (or taking super speed at all) without also having Combat Jumping. Which turned super speed into "Bullshit run up anything that isn't a flat straight 90 degree wall" and got me out of those drat holes if I fell in while visiting for the Faultline Arc.

So, that probably wasn't possible back when the Hollows were new and relevant then :v:

God, the game opened up so much later on when anybody could get a jetpack for pocket change as soon as they made a character. Other MMOs not having cheap and plentiful jetpacks is such a cruelty.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

That was a fascinating read, thank you.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Deified Data posted:

Just because an author says it doesn't make it so.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Lady Naga posted:

Just because an author says it doesn't make it so.

Or maybe...it could :420:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how you accidentally make a tower with an elevator at the top of it that's supposed to take you up to a lake of lava without realizing that the lake isn't going to fit on the top of the tower.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Triarii posted:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how you accidentally make a tower with an elevator at the top of it that's supposed to take you up to a lake of lava without realizing that the lake isn't going to fit on the top of the tower.

Poor team communication. I assume Earthen Peak, then, was supposed to be built into the mountain side which makes sense since the castle even looks like it was all kind of carved not built and at the peak of the mountain would be the volcano with Iron Keep. Hence the elevator. But no one really told the map designer that one, so they made a castle made out of a mountain but forgot the mountain. Included an elevator that went up, in a castle that based on a screenshot is just sitting in the middle of a lake, so you come out on the peak of a mountain that's only seen in the distance.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

IIRC the sudden transitions in Dark Souls 2 are supposed to symbolize much longer periods of travel, because the areas are geographically spreads out a lot more. This is why the walls suddenly change design halfway up the elevator and in most other connecting tunnels - it's supposed to represented two "different" places that just had nothing interesting between them. Your character just did some offscreen travel.

It isn't done all that well, though, especially since Dark Souls environments are built extremely literally in every other game/area, so suddenly having symbolic design like that falls flat.

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

Zinkraptor posted:

IIRC the sudden transitions in Dark Souls 2 are supposed to symbolize much longer periods of travel, because the areas are geographically spreads out a lot more. This is why the walls suddenly change design halfway up the elevator and in most other connecting tunnels - it's supposed to represented two "different" places that just had nothing interesting between them. Your character just did some offscreen travel.

It isn't done all that well, though, especially since Dark Souls environments are built extremely literally in every other game/area, so suddenly having symbolic design like that falls flat.

should've just used a giant bird again

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

A Classy Ghost posted:

should've just used a giant bird again

Christ's sake Gerry the giant bird can't be your solution to everything

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

Alaois posted:

Christ's sake Gerry the giant bird can't be your solution to everything

Yeah, but get this, this one is made of fire and lives in a volcano!

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I hope Dark Souls 3 is nothing but giant birds.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

After the final boss it zooms out and reveals the entire game was on the back of a giant bird.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Turns out the birds are regular-sized, the players are just tiny. Descendants of the Furtive Pygmy and all that.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

So long as it's only the lower parts, similar to the Dragon Butts, best enemy of Dark Souls 1.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

So long as it's only the lower parts, similar to the Dragon Butts, best enemy of Dark Souls 1.

7 taurus demon in a row, 11 capra demon in a row, 20 DRAGON BUTT IN A ROW

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Decrepus posted:

Make them work like matryoshka dolls: kill a dragon butt and a taurus pops out, then kill that and get a capra, then kill that and win a bonewheel!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Decrepus posted:

The thing that got me about that part was how they were all just kinda standing there. Every other enemy has an excuse for being where it is, or is at least off screen for its idle behaviour, so they might have been just passing through and decided to take a swing at you on a lark. The demons were just standing in an axis-aligned row formation for no purpose.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Somfin posted:

The thing that got me about that part was how they were all just kinda standing there. Every other enemy has an excuse for being where it is, or is at least off screen for its idle behaviour, so they might have been just passing through and decided to take a swing at you on a lark. The demons were just standing in an axis-aligned row formation for no purpose.

Izalith was where the developers gave up. Don't the floating ballsack dragon statue guys not even have a death animation or something? You kill them and they just kind of fade away. One of the bosses is a recolor of a boss who was already another boss with a different weapon.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Maybe that was where they dumped all the dragons they killed, but they were too immortal to stop.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Lotish posted:

Make them work like matryoshka dolls: kill a dragon butt and a taurus pops out, then kill that and get a capra, then kill that and win a bonewheel!

Is it bad that the bonewheel was the part that gave me chills?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
At least the dragon butts came back in Dark Souls 2 as actual finished enemies. The imperfect are pretty horrifying.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'm kinda hoping that, despite never having played these games, that in Dark Souls 3 aggravating, unjustifiably impossible level design is gonna be sprinkled all about just to annoy players. Not even cool, Antichamber style impossible, just lazy seeming lack of cohesion or continuity just to annoy jerkwads.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Nuebot posted:

Izalith was where the developers gave up. Don't the floating ballsack dragon statue guys not even have a death animation or something? You kill them and they just kind of fade away. One of the bosses is a recolor of a boss who was already another boss with a different weapon.

At least there's a lore reason for the boss recolor - he and the other 2 are all brothers. DemonBros. You think the statue guys look like ballsacks? I always called them turd demons. They look like poop.

The dragon butts tho. Yeah no idea. I'm too busy running past them to prevent my EYES FROM BLEEDING to really take a long look at them. That lava texture is the worst thing since worst things were even a thing.

As for more thread content:

Checked out the demo of Dying Light last night. I should preface this by saying that I really really wanted to like Dead Island, from the same developers, but I just....couldn't. Certain first-person engines are nausea inducing for me and I don't know why. I can't play Skyrim at all for this reason. Dead Island wasn't as bad - since I could play maybe 45 minutes before needing a break. But the clunky as poo poo combat, HP sponge/tank enemies and ridiculous weapon degradation stuff all sucked. Hard. And I was really trying to like it.

So I was hoping that in Dying Light they had learned from their mistakes. Eh. Sorta. The combat is still super clunky. Enemies still feel HP spongy. The weapon degradation is slightly improved and at least I don't have to go find a workbench to repair it. The engine is slightly less nausea inducing as I only felt slightly woozy after the hour of gameplay the demo had.

I think my biggest problem is: the zombies are a little too smart for you know....zombies. Even the basic mooks can see you from way too far of a distance and figure out a path to get to you even if it's complicated - which seems odd for theoretically "mindless" zombies. You get firecrackers which you are supposed to use as a distraction, but they don't work very well. You toss them in one direction and run in the other, look back, and most of the horde is coming after you anyway. The fast moving ones are even worse, since they will straight up dodge attacks and flip around like ninjas. Rotting corpses, flipping around like ninjas.

I guess all this can be handwaved away with "not zombies, but infected humans" and fine - but it's not like most non-infected humans are physically capable of jumping around like ninjas, zombie or no.

I only played a little bit of night time, but the "virals" or whatever they're called are pretty bullshit as well. The combat stamina system seems to make no sense either. I can parkour all around, jumping on top of cars and pulling up onto roofs and ledges and zip across trainyards, but I can't swing an axe 4 times without suddenly getting winded? I'm not asking for realism in my zombie simulator - but internal consistency would be nice.

Yeah so - won't be picking up the full version, methinks.

I will continue biding my time until Dark Souls III

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

HaB posted:

The dragon butts tho. Yeah no idea. I'm too busy running past them to prevent my EYES FROM BLEEDING to really take a long look at them. That lava texture is the worst thing since worst things were even a thing.

Literally just dragonbutts. The rear halves from the zombie dragons.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

HaB posted:

Dying Light

You pretty much played the entire game, maybe you missed out on some cool weapons but it's very repetitive.

The story sucks too because the player character is an rear end in a top hat who suddenly tries to become likeable when he meets the love interest

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

You pretty much played the entire game, maybe you missed out on some cool weapons but it's very repetitive.

The story sucks too because the player character is an rear end in a top hat who suddenly tries to become likeable when he meets the love interest

To be fair, once you'upgraded a bit and gotten more stamina, level a little and found/made better weapons - the enemies become hilariously easy to avoid, and even easier to kill. I liked Dying Light, but I didn't expect it to be anything more than a mindless zombie head smasher game.
Once you've fully unlocked the upgrades and gotten awesome weapons, human enemies are still a pain in the dick to fight though, with their guns and weird 80% accuracy to block your attacks.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

princecoo posted:

Once you've fully unlocked the upgrades and gotten awesome weapons, human enemies are still a pain in the dick to fight though, with their guns and weird 80% accuracy to block your attacks.
Pfff, no. You get the strong rifle and shoot them in the head, killing them instantly. As do molotovs.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I want dark souls 3 to have a dragon centipede that's just a conga line of dragon butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

rodbeard posted:

I want dark souls 3 to have a dragon centipede that's just a conga line of dragon butts.

I immediately thought of another boss and I can't remember what game it's from but it's like that. A centipede made out of other enemies and whenever you beat one the others behind it would fall off and start roaming the stage making it a pain in the rear end to kill the boss because you'd either have to stop and kill the others while the boss did its thing, or try to ignore them while killing the boss. So it should be like that.

• Locked thread