Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
the EU
germany is doing a great job managing the eurozone
wow these germans loving this up, maybe a different course would be a good idea?
grexit
View Results

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

you hosed up europe a half century ago and you are going to gently caress it up again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Who is this old lady.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

ich bin homosexuell

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Anschluss der Österreich again imo

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
We have to deal with German regulators at my job, and they are the biggest rear end holes.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
Bitch looks like literally hitlers granddaughter

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
:godwin:

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

TEAYCHES posted:

you hosed up europe a half century ago and you are going to gently caress it up again

if they do it nice and legal-like from the comfort of their own sovereign territory it doesn't count

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
What did Germany do? I wasn't watching.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
But really what are the Krauts doing this time? Genocide again?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Reminder that the Christian Democratic Union was co-founded by Nazi party members, therefore they are the Nazi's successor party - hth.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

grexit is german for goku

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

germans seems like they are awesome as underlings but loving suck at ruling because they hold everyone else up to their impossible standards

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
Mm, and they don't even reach their own 'standards' generally. See the increasing poverty in Germany for reference. They may all be Turks, however.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

To the D&D mods let's be clear that this was a thread intended for GBS and I would never post this in your august subforum.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

To put some context into the original post, here's Wolfgang Schäuble:

Here's Yanis Varoufakis:

In my opinion, one of the best reasons so far for giving Greece much easier terms, is to go back to the Treaty of Versailles. Yanis Varoufakis himself referenced this, much to the consternation of his German colleagues. Currently Greece is wracked by humanitarian crisis and a burgeoning Nazi party. Historically, this does not tend to pan out well in the long run.

Greece has bought itself a few months of time to put together a more coherent plan and gather itself, but it's up to the Germans to come to their senses and not force Greece to come to impossible terms.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
So when are us Yanks scheduled to invade?

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

JebanyPedal posted:

Who is this old lady.

have you been living under a rock for the last 22 years? how do you not recognize hillary clinton?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

I think it's time for some new leadership in Germany.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

In my opinion, I think it's weird that Germany is attempting to enforce political rule over the Eurozone, a system which has no effective democratic political structure.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

babypolis posted:

germans seems like they are awesome as underlings but loving suck at ruling because they hold everyone else up to their impossible standards

germans are slow, dim-witted and authoritarian, and in a successful campaign of propaganda have turned this into a positive by calling it efficiency and punctuality

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Berlin

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
Europe's problems in the first half of the 20th Century had a lot to do with Germany thinking it had some kind of Special Destiny.

Europe's problems in the first half of the 21st Century have a lot to do with Germany refusing to accept that destiny.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Europe's problems in the first half of the 20th Century had a lot to do with Germany thinking it had some kind of Special Destiny.

Europe's problems in the first half of the 21st Century have a lot to do with Germany refusing to accept that destiny.

I'd like to hear someone who's better informed talk about how or why a fictional Germany Keynesian engine would benefit the Eurozone.

Also the differences between states in the United States failing at deficits vs. states in the Eurozone failing at deficits, and what this means as far as democratic political representation goes in an economic union.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Hrm yeah, maybe Germany really is on a Sonderweg and are the rightful hegemons of Europe, that seems reasonable

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

Hrm yeah, maybe Germany really is on a Sonderweg and are the rightful hegemons of Europe, that seems reasonable

Yes because that's clearly what I meant to anybody intelligent enough to know what subtext is :rolleyes:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Yes because that's clearly what I meant to anybody intelligent enough to know what subtext is :rolleyes:

i know what the subtext is, i'm saying it's bad and dumb, just like the person who posted it

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

i know what the subtext is, i'm saying it's bad and dumb, just like the person who posted it

:allears:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Please don't turn this thread into a flamewar. It's already had difficulties in the cradle and I'd prefer that it turn into an interesting discussion on the place of Germany in the Eurozone, as well as some decent analysis of how economic decisions are made within a system which doesn't seem to allow much political disagreement.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

When the Eurozone was founded did European leaders have any idea that Germany would become the dominant power? If they did, did they account for it in any way?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
ich bin nazi

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I guess a better question from an outsider context, is why are all financial questions focused on Germany? Is it an incorrect reading that Germany is the dominant power? I wonder if what analysis I've read overstates the German command of Eurozone economic policy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
germans lust for greek deth

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
Yeah, whine about Germany's leadership in the eurozone.

They're the 'dominant power' basically of necessity, because the eurozone's economy pretty much relies on them totally.

Maybe the rest of you slackers should start pulling your weight, yeah? Then maybe the germans would be more inclined to sit back down.

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 8, 2015

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

ninotoreS posted:

Yeah, whine about Germany's leadership in the eurozone.

They're taking charge basically of necessity, because the eurozone's economy pretty much relies on them totally.

Maybe the rest of you slackers should start pulling your weight, yeah? Then maybe the krauts would be more inclined to sit back down.

Is it a case of necessity? I'd like to read a better analysis of how this really works. While Germany is an engine of production they aren't plurality of production, are they? Does that give them political hegemony?

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

TEAYCHES posted:

Is it a case of necessity? I'd like to read a better analysis of how this really works. While Germany is an engine of production they aren't plurality of production, are they? Does that give them political hegemony?

I'm just saying Germany shoulders a lot in the eurozone. More than any other member individually, I think. Naturally, this results in them believing they have a right to authority. And that's not unreasonable, is it?

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 8, 2015

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

TEAYCHES posted:

I'd like to hear someone who's better informed talk about how or why a fictional Germany Keynesian engine would benefit the Eurozone.

Also the differences between states in the United States failing at deficits vs. states in the Eurozone failing at deficits, and what this means as far as democratic political representation goes in an economic union.

One major difference is that the United States has a federal fiscal policy, and despite its failures, this means that state budgets can and do rely on money given to it by the federal government and paid with federal taxes, so the rich states subsidize the poor states through the mere fact of progressive taxation on a federal level in a way that creates much less Greece-style political jostling. In fact, the most recent crisis along these lines involved states rejecting Federal funding for expansion of Medicare!

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

ninotoreS posted:

I'm just saying Germany shoulders a lot in the eurozone. More than anyone else. Naturally, this results in them believing they have a right to authority. And that's not unreasonable, is it?

That depends on what scale political democracy exists, from which German authority is derived.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Germany has the money, money is power and influence. Not hard. Don't be a poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Darth123123 posted:

Germany has the money, money is power and influence. Not hard. Don't be a poor.

Is that good? Is it just? By what principle does Europe pretend to be founded upon?

Maybe in the short term, might is right. But in the long run, political legitimacy is an important question. How many crises can Germany take the reigns on and not suffer further political intransigence on the part of weaker European states?

• Locked thread