Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tohveli
Nov 25, 2007

♪ オー マリア
The situation is such that after having been at the company as a software developer for almost 7 years, due to certain unfortunate events that have happened to previous PMs, I have been promoted to continue as the project manager for a team of 10 people. I did enjoy writing specifications and deving the software, and to a lesser extent being the scrum master, but now it is time to get adjusted to the new role.

My question is though, what do you think is the role of the PM (Project Manager), and how to be a good one?
So far it seems I've been doing a lot what I've previously done (speccing new features), but with more deciding and time scheduling, and less coding. And more internal communication. Email, that takes a lot of time with customers.

My list so far:
  • Shield the team from customer requests
  • Provide the team and stake holders a roadmap of major features to come (e.g. gantt chart for the next year)
  • "Resource management" (I hate that word, they are people not "resources") - are there enough people to pull off what we want in the schedule we want - or alternatively, when can we promise to deliver these features with the people we have
  • Have the final say if team has multiple varying opinions
  • High level specifications of features and contribute to writing user stories (Agile)
  • Communicate with marketing and other departments

What have been your experiences with project managers or with someone you know who became one?

tohveli fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Large organizations would have a product manager who determines the business side, a development manager who drives getting those done, then you may have project managers who tend to be the unfortunate one who has to chase people all day to meet there projected task dates and join each and every meeting for note taking.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

PM is all about risk and schedule management, and clear communication to stakeholders (dev team included). No one likes surprises - so contain them early when you see them and show how to move forward to get the project shipped as expected. You cannot avoid surprises, they happen all the time regardless of how great planning is. No one really cares what it takes to deliver either, except you, even though they say they do; so figure out what each stakeholders preference for detail is and customize your communication to them.

Now, the best PMs manage the team doing the deliverable work by understanding the job they do, being supportive of them in getting it done, and relate that info the desired outcome of the project. Sometimes that means rolling up the sleeves and reviewing the code, providing input to design, clarifying requirements or reducing scope, sometimes its more HR related to coaching / self confidence / experience etc; you have to make judgement calls as to where your time is best spent to manage the risk and schedule management. Always look 2 steps ahead to next milestone and the one beyond that so you can steer the ship smoothly.

If you are in a bigger company (10 people in your team? probably smaller place) you will likely be less hands on and more communication and planning.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

tohveli posted:

* Provide the team and stake holders a roadmap of major features to come (e.g. gantt chart for the next year)
It's very difficult to plan a roadmap for an entire year. Even a 3 month plan can get wildly distorted. I'd say plan for the next quarter, with sketches of what you want done in the next quarter. This is what the SAFe methodology suggests, which is about the sanest way I've seen people try to scale Agile to an organization-level.

quote:

* Have the final say if team has multiple varying opinions
I think this depends on whether they're talking about architectural or feature decisions. If it's feature decisions then it's obvious you have the final say. But if they can't agree on the architecture of some solution, it should be up to the development manager to arbitrate. Don't get involved.

In my experience it's best for the PO to stay well away from technical discussions. A PO's primary job is to deliver features. The teams job is to write them in the best way they see fit, and chances are they'll choose some time-expensive chromed out solution (as is their wont). A PO will have to negotiate with the team to come to a compromise. If the PO always has the final say on how they do it, then it's no longer a negotiation and the PO will tend to choose the shortest cheapest path to get what they want. This often ends up accumulating technical debt and the internal quality of the product goes down. Let the team decide how to implement, but be prepared to negotiate if their proposal is too expensive.

quote:

What have been your experiences with project managers or with someone you know who became one?
There's basically no time for coding anymore. It's a full time job and it's mostly spent in meetings and email. Unlike coding where you can get in the flow and codecodecode, it's often necessary as a PM/PO to context-switch a LOT. It's a very different skillset.

• Locked thread