Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Welcome to Poxnora, a weird hybrid between a CCG and a Turn Based Strategy. There are 8 factions to play (which can be played pure or mixed with any other faction), and the game is primarily played 1v1 PvP. There are options for 2v2 and player vs computer, but they are played substantially less. I find Poxnora to be a pretty fun game, and hopefully I can capture the excitement of a close game for you guys properly. Without any further ado, a brief primer:

If that was enough to get you interested in playing, we have a SA Thread for the game already!

This is actually the second LP I've done of Poxnora. I've taken some advice and input from people after the first one and hopefully this will be a little easier to follow and a little more entertaining. That being said, still looking for any crazy combos anybody would like to see or any suggestions on how to improve the flow.

The first thread has long since fallen into the archrives, but if you want to hear Agent and I talk about the videos the playlist for the previous LP is here

Videos so far:

Deck list

Deck list

Deck list

Deck List

Deck List

Deck List

Deck List

Blackmage Yapo fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Poxnora Factions
Factions are divided by "good" and "evil" (Protectorate and Wrath). Each faction has its own unique bonus that is active in game and these bonuses are halved when playing a split faction BG. Full Faction (FF) is 30 runes of one faction, Split Faction (SF) is 15 runes from one faction and 15 runes from another. You don't have to play a theme when playing a faction. Some themes have more synergy then others, while some of the strongest battle groups are just a collection of good runes from multiple themes in a faction. But some themes work so well together or are so much fun it's hard not to run them as pure themes.

Forglar Swamp (FS) is a pretty straight forward water based faction. Thier faction bonus is extra nora generation every turn. Some common themes in the faction are:
  • Boghoppers (frog people)
  • Firk (psychic squid people)
  • Poison
  • Aquatic (need water to not suck)
  • Jellibrium (jellyfish people)
  • Tortuns (turtle people)

Forsaken Waste (FW) is your standard necromancy faction. They also have the best global damage/attrition options in the game to annoy the poo poo out of your opponent. Thier faction bonus is faster cooldown on thier runes (when guys die, you can play them again faster). Common themes include:
  • Zombies
  • Skelletons
  • Creepers (psychic bug things? they're weird)
  • Witches
  • Vampires
  • Global attrition
  • Stitched (guys that leave parts when they die so you can bring them back)

Ironfist Stronghold (IS) is a pretty straight foward good guy fantasy faction. They tend to all group together and slowly grind through thier opponents. Thier faction bonus is reduced damage from spells. Themes:
  • Dwarves (subtheme: drunk dwarves)
  • Barbarians
  • Constructs (think animated golems)
  • Trolls (the extra tough kind)
  • Leoss (cat people)
  • Paladins

K'thir Forest (KF) is the main hippy faction. It has all sorts foresty creatures. Thier faction bonus is increased speed. Themes:
  • Elves
  • Trees (they're alive somehow, don't ask)
  • Bears
  • Rangers
  • Faries
  • Wizards
  • Archers
  • Vashal (porcupine guys)

Savage Tundra (ST) is home to all of your ice related needs. They have some of the best and most damaging spells in the game, as well as the faction bonus giving extra HP to make thier champs better. Themes:
  • Jakei (blue elf people)
  • Yetis
  • Ferren (ferret people)
  • Amplify Ice damage
  • Lonx (different cat people)
  • Strig (giant owl guys)

Shattered Peaks (SP) is a really weird amalgamation of different things going on. Overall, they tend to have better synergy than most within the themes as well as some of the best utility relics/equips/spells in the game. Thier faction bonus gives you a small refund when you deploy a champ and when it dies. Themes:
  • Moga and G'hern (little guys who are cheap and suck without direction from the big guys, big guys get buff with more little guys)
  • Cyclops
  • Voil (literally bats)
  • Beasts
  • Hyaenids (hyena people)
  • Kanen (different version of the little guy/big guy dynamic)
  • Slags (acid filled sacs)

Sundered Lands (SL) is a faction composed almost entirely of different sorts of dragons or dragon people. Thier faction bonus is damage reduction from champ attacks. Themes:
  • Regular Dragons
  • Skeezick (dragon/dwarf hybrids)
  • Draksar (dragon/any other race hybrids)
  • Beasts
  • Sand terrain
  • Amplify Fire and/or Acid
  • Spiders
  • Myx (think the bugs from Starship Troopers)

The Underdepths (UD) is your quintestial high fantasy demons. They've got elf chicks with cleavage, big scary monsters, and lots of lava. Their faction bonus provides a bonus to champions' damage. Themes:
  • Deep Elfs
  • Goblins
  • Minotaurs
  • Amplify fire
  • Demons
  • Spiders

These are all just the big standard themes for these factions, you can end up with some crazy stuff if you start looking hard into ways to make gimmicks. I know my last few games I've run up against a couple decks that were designed to make one champion crazy good to try and just use it to steamroll everything else on the board. I've seen trick stealth decks where you suddenly show up next to your opponents base and blow it up before he can do anything about it. What I'm saying here is give me some challenges/ideas and I'll see what fun I can come up with to make it work.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Deck list

So I started off with the Ironfist Stronghold Paladin deck this time because it was my most watched of the previous LP. It has actually chagned quite a bit since then because of the revamp to the game, but the basic playstyle remains the same. Send your dudes forward in a big phalanx and don't let any of them die.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Alright, I was a big fan of the last Poxnora LP so I'll be following this one with interest.

I'd be interested in seeing some of the more interesting split faction decks, especially weird ones with really conflicting themes like Undead/Paladin if any of those are possible.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I genuinely enjoyed the last LP and I'm looking forward to seeing what's been changed. I'm glad you went with paladins! I'm a sucker for their gimmick, although I wouldn't mind seeing some of Ironfist's other gimmicks are.

Sushi Face
Oct 11, 2006

Tastes like funk
Awesome - now I'm going to have to check this out again. Put together a Stitched deck, they're pretty fun and cool?

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Zore posted:

Alright, I was a big fan of the last Poxnora LP so I'll be following this one with interest.

I'd be interested in seeing some of the more interesting split faction decks, especially weird ones with really conflicting themes like Undead/Paladin if any of those are possible.

I looked at undead options, and they only have like 5 champions that benefit from the glowy ground, so that's probably a no go.

I'll look into putting some stitches together, and I've already got plans for another IS gimmick.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Still want to see giant owls slaughter everything.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blackmage Yapo posted:

I looked at undead options, and they only have like 5 champions that benefit from the glowy ground, so that's probably a no go.

I'll look into putting some stitches together, and I've already got plans for another IS gimmick.

Ah well, are Voil still a goon deck of choice? They were pretty cool in the last LP and I'd like to see some more of them as well.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I play voils and i got soundly trounced by yapo's paladins last week.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Charles Bukowski posted:

I play voils badly and i got soundly trounced by yapo's paladins last week.

FTFY.

I've got a bat deck put together but I'm still trying to fine tune it how I want it. The revamp has shaken everything up and I'm not quite as proficient at making good decks as I once was. The like 6 month layoff isn't helping any, either.

Got another video with Agent done, gonna put it up tomorrow afternoon if everything goes to plan.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Ah, its not enough that you beat me, but that both you beat me and I beat myself. Thanks yapo. Maybe I'll fiddle around with my moga's.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
I've been so burned by poxnora dev(s) for so long I've lost hope that the community will ever grow, or that the game will ever draw me back in. None of my station cash can be used to buy new runes. A bleak day in terms of me hoping to have much fun playing poxnora again, myself.

So thank you again for keeping interest in this game alive, living vicariously through your series takes me back to the days where I used to spectate matches late at night in bed before falling asleep.

Poxnora is a very deep, complicated, fun game that blends a lot of the best aspects of cards and strategy. Every single part of the game that isn't the game though has been fairly bad (patches/businessmodel/clientcode/companyownershipchangeyhandsies...etc). If you can get a good game of poxnora played you'll have a ton of fun though!

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Deck list

The video where Agent finally breaks down, we all knew it was coming. This video shows off some of the cool new stuff they've added with the revamp. The cool new water effects are pretty, but they absolutely murder the video size. Pox makes my life terrible in every possible way.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Frogs are always better than dwarfmen

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Huh, looks like the revamp might actually make this more viable to a casual like me. I might try this again as I always enjoyed the basics, but hated not being able to compete.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Where's our video Yapo? The one where you made me cry!

namad
Nov 7, 2013
If possible I'd like to see some new themes, as in theme's for battlegroups that you didn't cover in last year's let's play. I agree it is nice to see several games from each deck though. I think maybe 3-5 games would be about the right number? Perhaps including games from last year? So when you bring back an old favorite from last year, maybe run it 3-4 games? and when you come up with something new maybe 4-5?

Alternatively just play what you want when you want, that way you don't get sick of it!

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Charles Bukowski posted:

Where's our video Yapo? The one where you made me cry!

I actually ended up deleting it because it didn't make for very good watching.

If you feel like you missed out, just imagine a face running in to a fist forever. And if it makes you feel better that deck is surprisingly good, we'll be seeing it later in the thread.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Ugh you jerks makin' me double post in my own thread

Deck list

We finally play against someone whos got a pretty good idea of what they're doing. That being said this deck is super weird and I have no idea what the synergy/overall point is supposed to be. This will be the last of the Paladins for this round, but we might come back to them later.

Also this is what the game ends up looking like when two players are too afraid to engage each other when there is no center font involved:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sleipnir had eight legs you idiot.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
Do we get to vote on future theme's?

I think I'd like to see zombies or skeletons or draksar if any of those are still viable at all!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Oh, missed this update.

Frog-dudes are pretty cool. I'd be interested in seeing you play them in the future.

Actually, a video where you go over, or go in depth on a deck and how you built it could be pretty interesting.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
A rune manager video would be really informative, I'd like to see one, I'm not sure if it would be possible to make it "entertaining" or not though.

Some sort of :effort: screenshot explanation of deck building might work better, but even more work to do.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

namad posted:

Do we get to vote on future theme's?

I think I'd like to see zombies or skeletons or draksar if any of those are still viable at all!

Well you're in luck! And yeah, taking votes on future stuff. Trying to get a stitched deck figured from a request earlier

Deck List

So another double header to start off a new race. I reall like the Draksars but they have been nerfed pretty severly from the past. On the bright side, most of them are stupid cheap now so you can put a lot of dudes out on the field.

Zore posted:

Oh, missed this update.

Frog-dudes are pretty cool. I'd be interested in seeing you play them in the future.

Actually, a video where you go over, or go in depth on a deck and how you built it could be pretty interesting.

I did a video of me just talking about overall strategy stuff last time, I'll see if I can do something similar with deck construction and my reasoning behind my choices. Only problem is my deck building skills have seemed really sub par lately, no so promises that it'll actually be good.

Semquais
Dec 5, 2013
Can't believe i missed this lp this long, glad to see it continue from before.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I'm curious, is a witch theme playable yet?

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

numerrik posted:

I'm curious, is a witch theme playable yet?

It is, actually! One of the regulars is trying to get me to play it but won't loan me the poo poo to do so.

Deck List

So this guys deck is total dildos. I hate it so much but I thought you all might enjoy me getting completely wrecked by a well done gimmick deck.

Sorry for the delays, but my second job has started up again. Videos will probably start coming out a bit slower.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I could get together the stuff to do it and would loan it to you if you gave me a list.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
I remember when elder murkwurm came out with judgement, judgement was strong but overall the murkwurm was so overpriced as to not be OP. The draksar judge gets judgement for like free or something though and it's just nuts!

Sushi Face
Oct 11, 2006

Tastes like funk
I can loan you my Stitched deck for a bit if you'd like. Havn't touched it since all these changes so may be setup in a dumb way but offers there if you want 'em.

fhawksawkward
Sep 8, 2011
I tried this because of the last thread. The revamp looks like it brought some nice improvements. Have they changed the matchmaking at all? I wasn't a fan of getting randomly matched with people who could just Augur of Tides me to death over and over.

Last year they posted an April Fools deck in the free starters that was just 30 exploding manticores. If they do something like that this year you should show it off. If you're taking requests, do something that rushes really hard. Bonus points if it's an Underdepths deck.

namad
Nov 7, 2013

fhawksawkward posted:

I tried this because of the last thread. The revamp looks like it brought some nice improvements. Have they changed the matchmaking at all? I wasn't a fan of getting randomly matched with people who could just Augur of Tides me to death over and over.

Last year they posted an April Fools deck in the free starters that was just 30 exploding manticores. If they do something like that this year you should show it off. If you're taking requests, do something that rushes really hard. Bonus points if it's an Underdepths deck.

The problem is mostly that there are only like 100people playing at any time at most and so the odds of actually creating an evenly matched match are less than stellar. Splitting the playerbase in half with 2v2 mode doesn't help that, but it is fun. At least full faction and split faction aren't separate queues anymore like they were five years ago, that split things in fourths.

The matchmaking isn't really broken, it works as is expected, it first tries to match you with someone near your skill level then a few minutes later gives up and just gives you anyone. They did redo the math on what it means to be a certain rank, and they made ranks update more frequently, so at least players will be a more accurate rank than before. Which was the only upgrade they could really do, to improve it further they just need to be more popular.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Deck List

IT'S AN EASTER MIRACLE! So turns out that in addition to starting up more work I forgot how absolutely amazeballs Wasteland 2 is. Sorry about that. I'm going to try and get back in the groove of things and get some more videos made up for you guys.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That second guy was very bad for a person with a name like that.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
Yapo only shows off matches he wins. Two out of two videos proves it!

Keep up the good work.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Deck List

So this is one of the most intense games I've had in a long time. I won't spoil the result for you, but you should definately watch it before you scroll down and see what anybody else has to say.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Wow, that was a shitload of dead kitties right there. :catstare:
You should boot that owl from your deck though. All the other creatures are very sad when they start losing, but that dumb bird just falls asleep on the spot. Kind of a lovely work ethic.
Does the fact that these games seem to be a lot closer than in the previous LP mean that we can look forward to some 1v1 statue wrassling in the future?

Jostiband fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 15, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Could you not have used one of those free cats to threaten his "safe" font up top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

goatface posted:

Could you not have used one of those free cats to threaten his "safe" font up top?

No, because Yapo is bad at video games.

or maybe they're summons and can't contest.

A better question is why Yapo keeps half his cats in the back field

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 16, 2015

• Locked thread