Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
I do have some hopes that some of these shows might be good, and from what I've seen so far there isn't anything really objectionable. The worst I can say is that any super hero team anchored by Iron Fist and Luke Cage should be Heroes for Hire, not the Defenders, that was entirely different superhero team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Like I said there are plenty of other good runs on the character that I didn't mention that are worth reading. The Nocenti run is fine, the Diggle run between Brubaker and Waid is fine, and the Kevin Smith run is a run that also exists and can be read with your eyes.

It's been something like ten or 15 years since I've read it, but wasn't Smith's run the one with Mysterio as the bad guy? I just remember that being horribly nonsensical. Like Kevin Smith was trying to make the goofy Spiderman villain with the goldfish bowl on his head into some sort of gritty villain.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
OK, so that was the Kevin Smith was the run I was thinking of. Deadpool was being polite. The Kevin Smith run on Daredevil was utter poo poo. I say that as someone who even enjoyed Mallrats, but Kevin Smith cannot write superhero stories worth a drat.

The Kevin Smith run is poo poo. You have been warned.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 1, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Starjammers are almost certainly under the Fox agreement as the ties to X-Men are pretty much universal. The Starjammers are great and if Fox were smart they would have started thinking of how to get that property onscreen after Guardians of the Galaxy. They're not known for being very smart though.

Considering how much they ruined your character in Wolverine: Origins, I'm inclined to agree.

"Hey, let's take a popular character who is known for never shutting the gently caress up, but we sew his mouth shut."
"loving brilliant plan, only let's also give him a bunch of random superpowers he has never shown in the comics."

I just assume there was copious amounts of Cocaine involved in those decisions. Because then that would make more sense than sober people making that film.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 3, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

tsob posted:

I only said the Starjammers because it was the first cosmic Marvel team to come to mind that wasn't the Guardians. I completely forget the issues regarding rights (hence lamenting no Spiedy tv show too). A Nova tv show or something would be cool too. I just want some cosmic Marvel on my tv essentially. Having something that was about space pirates would just be a bonus.

Guardians of the Galaxy kind of neutered the Nova Corps. In Guardians of the Galaxy, the Nova Corps are just basically beat cops without any super powers and maybe some extra tech.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 3, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
OK, I'm only about half an episode in. For those of you ahead of me I'm curious if any of the Daredevil rogues show up at some point. Ya know Typhoid Mary, maybe Bullseye. Feel free to spoil me on it.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
1x03 Mild spoilers. Ben Urich is showing up as the local crime reporter? Figured he'd be locked up with Spiderman. poo poo. After that beatdown at the end of the second episode, I'm about to have a nerdgasm.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

WarLocke posted:

General spoiler/question:

I can't tell if they're going with 'sonar hearing' or super-senses or whatever or not. I mean, I can kind of get him maybe learning to listen for heartbeats, and then a little physiology/psychology handles the 'is this guy lying' bit. But telling if someone is conscious by listening? Smelling a dude's cologne through walls on a different floor? Hearing people calling for help across the city?!?

Maybe this gets explained at some point, idunno.

General Daredevil origin story:

The chemicals that blinded him gave him super senses. If you think that's silly, wait till you find out what happens when four turtles and a rat get exposed to those chemicals.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Bunnita posted:

Just finished

Oh my god. I don't read comic books so I'm sure I missed a TON of references but someone earlier mentioned, that goo is what got the turtles right? The shot of it flowing out of the can seemed a bit obvious. That and the 'access tunnels' screamed TMNT to me.

I was sort of kidding about the TMNT connection earlier. The TMNT are a separate comic book company, that was heavily inspired by Daredevil. Including the origin story, and things like Daredevil was trained by a guy named Stick, but the Ninja Turtles were trained by a guy named Splinter. And Daredevil fights a bunch of ninjas called the Hand, and the Ninja Turtles fight the Foot Clan.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 11, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Soonmot posted:

series end spoilers relating to this She's probably not from K'un-Lun, at least, I hope not. There are seven different hidden kingdoms, each with their own Immortal Weapon (of which Iron Fist and Steel Serpent are an example). Basically, I just really hope to see Bride of Nine Spider and The Prince of Orphans on screen.

It's possible that she might be working for the Mandarin. Since IM3 only had fake Mandarins, there is an option of there being a real Mandarin is still out there.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
1x13
Was it just me, or did the classic costume at the end look purple? Nothing wrong with purple, in fact it's a better color for night stealth work than the classic red or black. Just wondering if my brain kind of failed because I had watched 12 straight hours of TV.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Onean posted:

This, so much this. I wish we'd get more of it. I mean, for a recent example my family dragged me to the theaters to see Taken 3, and all I can remember about the entire movie is how the fight scenes were so bad with this I felt sick and couldn't follow anything that was happening.

1x13
I love how great all of the characters are. Vanessa, Fisk, Matt, the Priest, everyone. So drat good. Vanessa in particular. She's not trying to change Fisk, Fisk isn't trying to change her. They accept each other for who they are, and don't lie to the other. Aside from the very beginning where Fisk asks her out the first time, it's one of the few TV romances I haven't cringed at in some way, and the beginning part makes sense for the character after a couple episodes so I'm not counting it.

Vanessa was kind of a weird pixie dream girl for a supervillain. But I could see her becoming a more realistic version of Typhoid Mary next season.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 11, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

cams posted:

yeah, it could work, i just think it would completely change the theme having a completely sincere story about a chinese kid going off and learning magic kung fu. sure he can still make fun of it and such but i think it puts it one step away from the point of the story.

i would just really, really want to avoid a vibe of "ancient chinese secret, huh?"

but i mean nothing i've brought up is a concrete reason why it wouldn't work, just why i as a white american guy would be wary about doin it. i feel like if i were going to introduce a chinese hero to the mcu, i'd rather it not be the magic kung fu guy.

As a white American guy, I'd say it's just best to just put the token minority heroes out there. OK, so a lot of the minority characters are stereotypes, but it at least gives the minority characters a foot in the door, and gives minorities heroes they can look up to.

I wanted to be Peter Parker when I grew up. Some other kids wanted to grow up to be Luke Cage. It's kind of a dick move that we had to like different superheroes because of race. It turns out Peter Parker and Luke Cage are awesome together.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 12, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Eddain posted:

Does Daredevil have a steady girlfriend or is he a revolving door? It seemed like Karen had a thing for him halfway through the series but then Foggy was always with her, but then Foggy went back to Marci.

Daredevil doesn't really have a Lois Lane waiting for him that he has to marry because continuity says so. In the comics he had a fling with Karen Page, but that didn't work out, and he's still a bachelor.

There is no canonical romantic interest to drag the story down like on Arrow or The Flash. In fact, one of his best villains is a crazy ex. Matt Murdock regularly sticks his dick in crazy, and has to pay for it afterward.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 12, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The Punisher doesn't have to be portrayed as a one-hundred-percent-right hero and is frequently more interesting when he isn't. In Garth Ennis' Punisher MAX, he's only the hero because the villains are far worse, and the comic doesn't just use this as a winking justification for him butchering people, it's actually a serious thing that he's shown frequently wrestling with.

It would be interesting to see him as an antagonist in Daredevil, because he's what Matt doesn't want to become, but that doesn't necessitate making him unsympathetic or discounting him from the protagonist role in the future.

I think the problem with having the Punisher as a protagonist is that in order for it the audience to sympathize with him, then the villains he goes after have to be so absolutely evil that the Punisher is justified in killing them. And then move onto the next horrible example of man's inhumanity to man, then the Punisher kills them, and so on. After a while it just kind of becomes a slog, that's why I gave up on Ennis' Punisher.

I agree thought that he would make a pretty good Daredevil antagonist as the bad guy with some good points who can challenge Matt's ideals.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Soonmot posted:

But if it was only the heroin, why did Fisk constantly go out of his way to treat her with respect and consult her? Leland was the only other crime head Fisk interacted with to the same degree amd he was constantly treated as an underling. Fisk meant something to Gau (Gau or Gao), otherwise why would she waste her time on Earth running drugs instead of awesome inscruitable evil kung-fu things?

I think Fisk may have just respected Gao because, well she's a little old lady, who is also the head of an international drug syndicate. The Russians were thugs, Nobu was a representative for the Yakuza/The Hand, but he wasn't the head guy, and Leland was a money launderer who never got his hands dirty himself.

Compare that to Gao, who has a job in a very violent industry, and probably a hundred law enforcement agencies who would like to bust her, yet she managed to grow old doing very illegal things. So her advice is probably worth at least listening to.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

old dog child posted:

I want Netflix to make every show. They have got to have more hits than busts at this point.

So I haven't read the comics. Was this an origin story for Fisk or is his arc finished? Will Daredevil use new villains next season? I am just curious because I want to start mindlessly speculating about next season but the series wrapped up pretty neatly so I don't have much to use.

P.S.

I will miss you Ben Urlich. :sigh:

I speculated a few days ago that the Vanessa storyline was vaguely reminiscent of Typhoid Mary, mostly because that's the only character from the comics I can think of who was romantic with Fisk. So I could see Vanessa becoming a more realistic version of Typhoid Mary, where they keep the crazy, but ditch the superpowers.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

There's another woman that Fisk is romantic with in the comics you're forgetting about. Her name might be familiar though: Vanessa. His wife. For like forty years of stories.

OK, my mistake, wasn't really ever a huge Daredevil fan, so I don't recall seeing his wife show up.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

She became a pretty major player during parts of Bendis' run, but died at the end of it. She was always around before that in various capacities since '69. In the comics she was less "I find all this crime stuff SUPER HOT" and more of Fisk's concision that he never listened to who hated being the wife of a crime lord.

E: She was also in a few episodes of the 90's Spider-Man cartoon.

Also, she had weird hair.

To be fair, I try to forget about Marvel animated shows. I think it's safe to say that they are not very good.

Edit: Could be worse hair, she could be have Osborne hair.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 13, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Xealot posted:

Yeah, that really sucks. I can't think of a feature film I've seen in a long time that compares, artistically, to a good dramatic series that follows characters and themes for longer.

It's crazy to me that, because of however it is that differing revenue models for features and on-demand TV work, a single film that costs $200 Million will earn $1 Billion. But that same $200 Million used to create 5 separate series and 60 hours of content, released over 2 years, is somehow a riskier or less profitable model.

Maybe it's the lower revenues of services like Netflix? Or just the event nature of a blockbuster release? I understand when it comes to really CG-heavy features like Avengers; you couldn't make that into a TV series in a cost-effective way, I'm sure. But not every property is like that.

All I mean is, I hope this Netflix experiment is wildly successful and encourages them to trust this format for other properties. Because I can't describe how much better this was than some Daredevil rebooted feature, and it cost WAY less than that would have...in theory 1/5th of the $200 Million Defenders price tag.

Well Netflix is a bit different then other networks because they actually have raw numbers to back up their decisions. They can actually see how many subscribers watch their shows, and see when people drop out. That's like the golden goose for most networks, usually networks have to pay Nielsen to get a statistical analysis of people's TV watching habits. Netflix has the raw numbers on what people watch, and don't watch.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

old dog child posted:

I don't know who Typhoid Mary is, but I like the idea if that hero is similar to the historical chick.

She really doesn't have all that much to do with the historical chick.

The comic version of Typhoid Mary is an assassin that works for The Kingpin. She suffers from multiple personality disorder. (Yeah, I know it's a bullshit disorder, but it's a thing in comics.) She has three personalities. There's a Mary, who is actually a nice sweet girl, then there's Typhoid Mary who is kind of a crazy assassin who works for Fisk and can hold her own in a fight against Daredevil. Typhoid Mary is nominally the main personality.

And if someone pisses off Typhoid Mary too much, then she switches over to her third personality, Bloody Mary, who is a whole new level of batshit crazy.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 13, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

tsob posted:

It's never Spider-man's fault, no more than it's a cops fault that a serial killer escapes jail to kill again. Spider-man is essentially just a civil servant going out and catching the guy who did it. If it's anyone's fault it's the fault of the people for not asking for better measures or appealing for the death penalty to deal with those people on a permanent basis, same as with any killer. Spider-man might be a vigilante, but that doesn't mean he is or should be an executioner. It's not up to him to decide what to do with Green Goblin or whoever when he stops him, it's up to the system. And the system fails every time.

A few pages back, but that whole argument was one of the many things that pissed me off about The Civil War. Spiderman has about as much legal and moral authority for use of force as any other random citizen capturing a criminal in the commission of a crime. Spiderman catches crooks, then hands them over to the cops to process, and then justice is done. If the people of New York think that the Green Goblin should be executed, then New York needs to revise it's death penalty laws.

And not lay the blame on Spiderman, because Spiderman refuses to be judge, jury,and executioner. Because there is no way that expecting superheros to take those three roles is going to end well.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 15, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Sorvah posted:

If he's passed the bar in America they definitely have his fingerprints on file...but it didn't even occur anyone. Like everyone must have assumed 'this highly trained violent vigilante can't have had any criminal past, no point in checking.'

Just because they have his fingerprints on file doesn't mean they have any usable prints.

I remember reading a thing a while back that fingerprinting experts these days spend most of their time in court explaining that good fingerprints are hard to come by. Take a front door knob for example, you have two people living in a place, leaving their greasy mitts all over the knob, then toss in friends coming to visit, a cable repair man, and they all use the front door.Then the door knob just becomes a big greasy mess of prints that's no good for prints.

They can go for fingerprints on obvious murder weapons like knives, but if someone uses a less obvious murder weapon, like a gun then fingerprints aren't that great.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 15, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

He's sort of right about the child actor, I haven't seen one so bad since Daniel Radcliffe in early Harry Potter movies.

I think the main thing I disliked wasn't the actual fighting or the costume, I mean yeah the costume was bad but what really made it look like rear end was every time he started using the dual batons. The way he held them just looked so comically stupid, pun intended.

I thought the child actors were OK, but not great. If you think that was bad, then you've never seen that drat Weiner kid from Mad Men. The show runner cast his own kid, and every time Glen shows up, people are convinced that he is a budding serial killer.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The neighbor is meant to be creepy. Didn't he take some of Betty's hair?

Yeah, but that was more as a messed up kid with no real sense of personal space going through his parent's divorce. But even in scenes where Glen can relate to Sally, where Glen is supposed to act like a somewhat normal teenager who has been through the same poo poo as Sally, and can maybe give some helpful advice, he still comes off as a creepy guy.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 19, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Xealot posted:

There's no way they won't do completely crazy ninja poo poo. Already, our first insight into that world is a magical Chinese woman from a kung fu dimension who hadoukened Daredevil into a wall. And a demon inside a child-monk. And a ripped karate guy with patterned scars all over his back in some sort of secret temple.

Daredevil is a blind martial artist who fought a yakuza ninja in a Shinobi costume. The fight ended by setting the ninja on fire. That's how these shows introduced the premise.

Yeah, I don't really see how they can get away from having ninjas being ninjas. After all, the Frank Miller comic version of Daredevil kind of helped establish the Law of Inverse Ninjas.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 23, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

surc posted:

Man, a few rotten ninjas ruin it for the rest! :argh: (I would assume due to the number of ninja attacks which presumably happen on a daily basis in the Marvel U, ninja clans are probably considered gangs from the police perspective, although maybe not in the movie/tv universe yet).

The Hand is more like a crazy cult with ninjas. They don't really show up all that often in NYC outside of Daredevil. But when heroes go to Japan, they can't take two steps without pissing off some ninja clan.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So the "Purple" in "Purple Man" seems to refer mostly to his fashion sense.

But I liiiike it.

"Hmm, what color should I paint my van? The free candy thing didn't work out as well as I thought it would."

Sorry, it's just hard not think of the Purple Man driving a purple van. I'm trying to avoid rhyming, but the Purple Man is a seriously creepy character, so it's hard to imagine him driving around in anything other than a van.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Habibi posted:

Yeah, personally, I enjoyed the Murdock v Nelson episode a whole lot and thought they did a good job of framing Foggy's concerns in a rational manner and making them personal to Foggy. The idea that Fisk and Matt were in fact very well set up to be almost the same person with the same end goals and almost the same means (the use of force) just in pursuit of different principles is part of it. The other part is that Foggy wasn't just upset that Matt was a vigilante or was ready to kill someone, in and of itself. He was upset that he and Matt had, seemingly, dedicated their lives to being agents of the law, and that what Matt was doing, while perhaps morally commendable, was legally problematic, to put it lightly, and went against the fundamental principles on which Foggy believed (with the help of Matt's impassioned arguments, no less) they had based their lives. Like, yeah, he probably has a little ground to feel betrayed even if he doesn't disagree 100% with what Matt is doing in his spare time.

Yeah, I thought they did a pretty good job with it, considering that a lot of the arguments Foggy makes are more personal than principled. And up until 5 minutes before the end of the previous episode Foggy thought Daredevil was a terrorist who was responsible for Foggy going to the hospital a few days earlier. So it was basically Foggy being pissed about being lied to for several years by his best friend, plus blaming Matt for sending him to the hospital several days earlier, even if it was because of the Russians.

As for HoC chat, I was turned off by the fact that Frank Underwood's big scheme to rise to power in S1 was an education bill that screwed over the teacher's unions for unexplained reasons beyond that is somehow a brilliant political move that was never explained. Democrats don't go picking fights with their union base like that without an amazingly good reason, like maybe some horrible sex scandal. Republicans like Scott Walker can run on union busting, but not Democrats.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Snak posted:

Yeah I can't believe that's a real poster. I looks like a bad fan photoshop. It probably is.

I had a roommate who used to make movie posters, DVD covers, etc.. She originally went into it with the idea that it would be a way to make money while expressing herself artistically while making some money. Then it turns out most posters are done by the lowest bidder, with everything decided by studio executives, as well as the stars of the movies.

The person actually putting together the poster is usually just a sub-sub-contractor who's probably just some kid who is pretty good with Photoshop, and who has zero input on the poster design. So as a result, the artists that actually make the posters have an attitude that if it's good enough that the people paying them don't complain, then why work any harder than needed to get paid.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Habibi posted:

And probably sometimes some executives get lucky or even have a clue of what they're doing and pass down a vision that isn't poo on a stick that is also made of poo.

I'm guessing a lot of that is from how much the studio execs have invested in the promotion of a particular movie. So the big twelve foot tall standees that go into the major movie chains to to promote a big summer blockbuster, for obvious reasons, get more attention than a poster for an art film released in mid-February.

In the case of Netflix, I'm guessing they figured that is just kind of a good enough poster. On just about most devices that show Netflix, the posters are actually pretty small. On most devices, Netflix posters for shows are smaller than your thumb proportionally. By that I mean that if you were to sit in your normal comfy chair in front of your big screen TV, extend your arm and do a thumbs up, your thumb would cover the the poster.

It looks bad when blown up, but as a tiny thumbnail poster it looks OK.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 2, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

zoux posted:

I hope they would do keep him in DD's orbit and not really give him a seperate storyline and save the best stuff for a potential spinoff. The reaction to this has been some serious excitement, hopefully it turns into a series for Punisher. And if that happens, the gates are open, there's no reason more streetlevel characters could be intro'ed in existing Netflix series and spun off and oh my god I just got too hype

I'm kind of ambivalent about The Punisher getting his own series. He's a pretty good villain/anti-hero to have around. I just don't think he could carry his own series these days. Well maybe he could, I just wouldn't like it.

About the only way to keep him as a sympathetic hero is to have villains that are a lot worse than him. So an ongoing Punisher series requires having a bunch of villains that are so horrible that is OK for Frank to kill them all. So basically Criminal Minds, but with The Punisher.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

I should note something else interesting about the good part of the Max run, and the only way they could make it into a TV show: The books really weren't about the Punisher, as a character, very often. He is a force in the background, while the main story is almost always about the criminals / the crime they are committing. They are always the central part of the story; in fact, I'd say just as often, his actions are written from their POV rather than his.

It definitely helps keep it a more interesting concept without hitting the "Hulk problem."

That's why I qualified my statements by comparing it to Criminal Minds.

Criminal Minds spends about half of every episode showing how horrible whatever killer of the week is, then the feds catch them and toss them in jail. I doubt the target audience for a show like Criminal Minds would object to having a show that's like Criminal Minds, but at the end Frank Castle kills the horrible bad guys in creative ways.

Like I said, it could work as a show, it's just not one I would care to watch. My mom would probably love it though.

(I'm not a fan of Criminal Minds, but my mom likes to watch it. So that means when I go to visit I end up watching Criminal Minds. She finds shows like South Park and It's Always Sunny distasteful, then I point out that I just watched an episode of Criminal Minds where Jaime Kennedy chopped up a hooker to serve as BBQ at a church social.)

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

My anesthesiologist friend says propofol would have been easier to get anyways. I guess it's like the methylamine in Breaking Bad: they had to make it something hard to get for dramatic purposes, even if it's not the most realistic.

Yeah, it's still kind of silly, Hey, guess what morphine and heroin were used for back in the day? There's a possibility they might have OD'd Killgrave by using them, but that's the case with any anesthetic. That's why you don't see hordes of anesthesiologists at the unemployment office.

Also an issue I had with Hogarth around episode 11. What was the reason for screwing over her secretary/fiance there? It seems really dumb and out of nowhere, just for Hogarth to be evil. I get it, Hogarth is a manipulative rear end in a top hat.

It seems like an open and shut defense case. The secretary walked in, saw her fiance's ex attacking her fiance with a knife, so she hit her fiance's ex with a lamp, and the ex fell and hit her head on a coffee table. Hogarth was covered in cuts at the scene of the crime.

Especially since Hogarth's ex was blackmailing Hogarth and threatening to get Hogarth disbarred on ethics grounds, and her secretary/fiance has copies of the same blackmail info as the former ex.

I get that Hogarth doesn't want to admit weakness by saying she was mind controlled, and that she uses people and discards them. But if you're going to throw someone under a bus, the lover that screens your mail for blackmail material probably isn't the best choice.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 23, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Nah the exchange is something like

Jessica: I'm pregnant

Knock-off Antman: Oh. Not mine?

Jessica: No.

Knock-off Antman: Well, was nice knowing you.

This is one of the few comics I've actually read within a decade so this is a novelty for me.

That actually sometimes happens. I dated a woman for about a month before she figured that she was pregnant with her ex-boyfriends kid. We partied hard, and we just assumed morning sickness was a hangover.

So once the girl I dated was pregnant with her ex-BF's kid, then it's kind of reasonable to check out once the kids start showing up. She had hooked up with her ex a month before we ever met. So I can't even complain about things that happened to my waifu before we ever met.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 25, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

esperterra posted:

Yeah in the books he's literally just like, 16yo Jaime Lannister but into dudes. He even joins the Kingsguard for similiar reasons.

Yep, in the books there's a lot of subtext that Renly and Loras are gay. The few times it it becomes text, it's usually their opponents ragging on them, so it's easy to read that as just trash talking. "I will shove this sword so far up your rear end even your boyfriend won't find it," can be kind of dismissed as some battlefield trash talk. It wasn't until GoT became a TV show that they explicitly made Renly + Loras a thing.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
Finished 2x04 and I have a question.

What was the point of Karen checking out the Punisher's house? Does it go somewhere with the DA's office? It just seems like we're getting hints of something that we're told with the Punisher's monologue five minutes later.

Anyways, overall I'm really liking this version of The Punisher, this is easily the best live action version of him so far. Equal parts terrifying, yet somewhat sympathetic and broken man. I''m not a huge fan of him as a protagonist, but I would at least check out a few episodes if he got his own show.

Seriously, if you told me yesterday that I would be getting misty eyed over the Punisher's origin story I would have laughed in your face, but this show sold it.

Edit:

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, I mostly just wanted a reminder on what crazy hoops they jumped through to make him technically not a murderer. I can't imagine it happens, but I'd love to see him kill a dude and be forced to live with the consequences. I mean, it has to have happened at some point in the comics right, in a wacky alternate universe if nothing else.

Speaking of comics, I love that they straight up the setup for Daredevil and the Punisher's first big chat from the comics.

Also Elektra rocks and you need to give in to the dark side Matt :argh:.

It's comic book logic. In the real world beating someone into unconsciousness is usually a serious felony, possibly attempted murder, or murder, depending on whether or not they wake up. In comics, people just walk that off all the time.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 19, 2016

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

As someone who has always found the idea of the Punisher a really loving boring one, I gotta say his portrayal here has turned me around on him a lot. Good acting, good season in general (except for [2x09?] the increasing focus on the ninjas, who really were dull as loving dishwater as antagonists go)

I prefer the Punisher as an antagonist because he makes for a decent bad guy with a point. The bad guys he targets are usually really bad guys and the justice system can't handle them.

As a leading man in his own comic, he's pretty meh.

It's usually either an over the top revenge fantasy where the criminals essentially wear black hats, or a grim depiction of all the horrible things that criminals do in order justify Frank Castle killing them. Neither of those approaches appeal to me.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 19, 2016

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Mars4523 posted:

Plus, he'd need a supporting cast, and it would be way too easy to gently caress that up somehow. Like, Edmondson's run levels of topical hosed up.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of him as a recurring character, although I honestly would rather see more of Elektra.

Easy solution, just have him die, then have angels send him back to Earth to punish the wicked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Ghost Rider series would own.

Way to miss the joke. But OK, I also enjoy watching Nic Cage staring at bad guys.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 19, 2016