Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Jesus Christ this is going to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

howe_sam posted:

Sepinwall calls it one of the best superhero tv shows on the "air"

He also included this link of Deborah Ann Woll and her boyfriend at the LA premiere of the show, he's legally blind and dressed up as Murdock.

I'd never heard of Choroideremia before. That is a nasty gene-linked condition.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I use the same movie ticket value when buying a video game. Do I get an hour and a half of fun for every :10bux: of game price? If not, the game wasn't worth it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
1x01

Holy gently caress was that great! Guess I'm going to be tired tomorrow.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Every time a cab pulls up in a Marvel property, I hope the driver ID says Lockley.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
1x04

"Tell Mister Potter I'll need a new suit..." Gladiator namecheck!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Fisk is loving terrifying.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Jose Oquendo posted:

Not as brutal as that but more than what you'd see on network TV.

On that note, the opening to 1x03 :stare:

Opening of 1x07 would disagree with you.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
1x09
The meeting of Murdoch and Fisk at the art gallery. Cox and D'onofrio's body language just killed it. This show...:allears:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Just finished 1x13. The Kingpin/Daredevil throwdown is just what it should be. Also Turk running like hell from the law is traditional.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
After seeing this I have faith in a Moon Knight series.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

XboxPants posted:

1x13
Anyone else feel like the final Kingpin v Daredevil fight kinda fell flat, relatively speaking? It was still choreographed super well and everything, it's just... They didn't do enough throughout the series to convince me that Fisk would pose any kind of threat to super-powered, ninja-trained Matt Murdock, so the whole time it felt like there were zero stakes. The Nobu fight felt way more dangerous.

I guess it still could have worked if it was just Matt pummeling the poo poo out of Fisk the whole time, but they didn't do that, and instead acted like he was an even match. Making Fisk a difficult opponent made sense in 1x09 when Matt was super-hosed up & kind of dying after fighting the Hand ninja, but here he was mostly healed from that.

I guess it also didn't help that I wasn't really mad at Fisk about the Urich thing. That whole death was so heavily telegraphed to me that I felt more upset at the writers for getting rid of such a rich character with so much potential for future stories than I felt mad at Fisk. If I was hated Fisk more I'm sure it woulda been thrilling to see him get beaten.

Don't get me wrong, though. The series was shockingly good. Cox, Woll, Henson, Dawson, Gunton, Moore, Curtis-Hall, Morgan, and more all put in fantastic performances. Vanessa Fisk's actress, in just a few lines, was maybe the break-out character of the show for me. I'm also extremely pleased they went so full-rear end comic book with ninjas and mystic old ladies and references to other poo poo all over the place.

Speaking of references, here's one very tenuous MCU connection I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else: (not sure what episode it was, let's just say 1x12 to be safe)
At the party where people get poisoned drinks, Owlsley mentions a "Van Lunt" who operates under the guidance of a personal astrologer. That'd be Cornelius Van Lunt AKA Taurus, one of the Zodiac cartel. And, Peggy Carter encountered the Zodiac group in her one-shot.

1x01- 1x13 Nelson and Murdoch is located in the Van Lunt Real Estate office. You can read it in the faded letters on the window under their paper sign.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Raserys posted:

General spoiler:

There's an awful lot of Iron Fist nods in this series, while I didn't notice anything for Jessica Jones or Luke Cage. Guess the mystical elements of Iron Fist are a lot harder to sell to an audience that starts with Daredevil.
Luke Cage Spoiler: Claire Temple is a Luke Cage nod.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Gilok posted:

Those panels make me want to punch Joe Quesada in the head.

Only those panels? I go through life wanting to punch Joe, Dan Didio, and Jeph Loeb in the head.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Gilok posted:

But Marvel is totally not going to cast an Asian guy. Prepare for disappointment. Personally I hope he's Latino :mrgw:

White Tiger guest appearing would be all kinds of great.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

XboxPants posted:

At this point Matt was still thinking he was alright with committing murder. Personally, I have no question that he purposefully deflected that blade into the lamp to cause the fire. Bouncing stuff around like that is a big thing for Daredevil, that's one of main uses of the billy club thing he has, like what Stick did with the bottlecap. Think Cap and his shield.

Maybe he had it thought out that Nobu could jump into the river and survive if he wanted to.

Death-Stalker! One of the best DD villains.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

PaybackJack posted:

I get what you're saying but I like different interpretations of the core idea and a lowkey, less flashy/gimmicky version was something I was really enjoying all the way through. I kept waiting for them to introduce familiar badguys but they never did and I was kind of shocked but I also really liked that. I hope if for next season they do introduce Bullseye/Typhoid Mary/Kirigi/Elektra/whoever they keep it down to earth as much as possible.

I guess I just wanted something on the other end of the spectrum from The Flash where everything is basically a joke about how goofy comic book it is.

and I got that right up until the end of the show so I'm not really complaining that much. Steve Yun gets it.

Then you don't really want a comic book show.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I liked the 2003 suit actually, and really don't mind the new one except for the fact that it looks a little bulky.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't like Gere either but Primal Fear was pretty good.

The best thing about The Jackal was the humor derived from hearing Gere's appalling Irish? accent.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

WickedHate posted:

There were times I was completely sure it was the guy from Criminal Intent, but said "Nah, it can't be" before finding out it actually was. He has a very distinctive way of talking.

Nah, it's Edgar Bug.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Alias is the only one of the series I hadn't read (It came out during a period where I had basically stopped buying comics due to unemployment.) at launch, so it's the character I know the least about. I just finished the collection and I really don't like it. The concept is cool and the character is interesting, I just don't enjoy the plot. As usual, it's probably just me and my screwed up tastes in media.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Thing is in the original Sax Rohmer Fu Manchu stories, Dr. Fu always won or got away. Smith and Petrie were always getting their asses kicked. Arthur Ward (Sax Rohmer) wrote them in a way that the racists of his time (most of his readers) would go 'Look how superior the white race is!' when the epitomes of that race were constantly getting clowned.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Raserys posted:

Johnny Yong Bosch is: The Iron Fist

Okay, I could see that.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Emo-stein!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Boogaleeboo posted:

Emo-stein, the Frankenstein that can literally only talk poo poo to his dad and turns into a giant anti-social baby when anyone else is around. May he reign for a thousand years.

He really is. He honest to Christ is...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Darth Ballz posted:

Have you ever seen Dardevil's rogues gallery? You pretty much need Elektra and Punisher just to make him more legit, because outside of Bullseye and MAYBE Tombstone and Owl (Purple Man is in Jessica Jones), you have a lot of nonsense.

Death Stalker, Gladiator, Angar the Screamer, Nuke, Mr. Fear, Mr. Hyde...actually, If they could get Muad'ad to be in it I'd be fine with that honestly.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

bobkatt013 posted:

They could smallville Beer Fest it and have him have a brother named Ben Stan Urich.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
They're doing Preacher so anything is possible.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

program666 posted:

I forgot for a moment there but The 2004 Punisher movie was actually a adaptation of Ennis initial comedic run. I fully expect Preacher to be as much of a soulless hunk of garbage until I see proof to the contrary. I mean, I don't think they will have Arseface as a character as much as I didn't expect then to have that impossible-to-kill russian guy having huge boobies or for the Punisher to almost kill him by pushing a really fat guy over his face.

http://comicbook.com/2015/05/15/seth-rogen-posts-first-look-at-amcs-preacher-arseface/

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

program666 posted:

Oh, cool that's something. Having AMC doing it is also a good thing but still Ennis' humor is too dark for TV and normal people to watch, I'm still pessimistic about it.
Edit: Can you imagine they putting that scene where arseface saves the day and everyone is cheering on him but then he removes his darkened motorcycle helmet and everyone starts to thrown up, all the while he is "talking" in that indistinct way with subtitles about being a hero and stuff. Hell every time someone looks at his face they thrown up. Also all the scenes where he says a lot of stuff to his father that just ignores him. This humor is loving impossible to show up on TV.

Seth Rogen is the producer. The odds of vomit are high.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Avengers Tower at :33

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

X-O posted:

Here's a picture from the current Luke Cage filming.

And yes, that is Ervin Burrell right there next to him. Had no idea Frankie Faison was in this show, but I will most definitely take it.

Faison is loving amazing on Banshee, so seeing in Luke Cage is great.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Zythrst posted:

While this is all true, I do find that Netflix shows are lighter on swears then HBO or showtime shows for whatever reasons.

Then there's Sens8

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Snak posted:

The real problem with FF movies is they keep trying to do them as these complete checklist movies. Like they start with the idea that the need a scene and a mini-arc showing off each of the four's powers. And the use the same basic "they have to learn to use their powers together" general arc.

Just starting with those two things you've set yourself up for a really mediocre movie at best.

When you consider that 2/3 of FF movies have been origin stories that also shoe-horned in Dr. Doom, it's no wonder those were terrible. Rise of the Silver Surfer was also terrible, but there they were also working backwards, starting with scenes and concepts they wanted to show, rather than starting from a strong story.

It's the same reason the Wolverine movies are garbage. They work backwards from Wolverine gets his powers, wolverine fights this guy, Wolverine gets amnesia. Wolverine trains in Japan, Wolverine fights the Silver Samurai and then try to write a plot around stringing these scenes together. That poo poo doesn't work.

In Media Res during a Moleman attack. Use flashbacks and asides to bring people up to speed. Then do Doom stealing the Baxter Building.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Do a Fantastic Four with Luke, Spidey, Crystal, and She-Hulk.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Oh wow, finally an adaptation of Naoki Urasawa's Monster.

But seriously, that trailer makes it seem like it's all about Kilgrave's wacky shenanigans. I guess they just wanted a strong hook, because I doubt it's going to fill 13 hours.

That trailer turned me off really fast. I've read the comics and they didn't get that dark.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Jose posted:

lol at the posts of people saying they're not going to watch this because the trailer was dark or whatever when they obviously will and also it played up the villain massively for the trailer

I don't have Netflix at the moment and I won't renew it to watch this. The comic was really loving dark, and judging by the trailer they made it more so. Not what I want to watch and yet another reason I read spoilers.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

PerniciousKnid posted:

Well, the trailer was only 2 minutes long, it doesn't mean we'll have 12 hours of misery. Maybe they'll cut another trailer and it'll be 2 minutes of pratfalls set to Yakkity Sax, to rope you back in.

Or you know, you just watch it when you renew Netflix someday, no big.

The comic was pretty much a long walk of misery.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
He's a good villain, but we need heroes more. Give us Iron Fist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
As long as the Punisher is treated as a villain the entire series, it should be fantastic.