Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Netflix Marvel: Alias Immortal (Wo)Men Without Fear For Hire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The weird thing about that movie is how off some scenes are, and how slavish others are. The opening shot is right out of a Joe Quesada drawing. Chasing the bad guy onto the train tracks is right out of Man Without Fear. They flipped the priest's line, but they took the "man without hope/man without fear" bit from Born Again.

And obviously the very specific adaptation of issue 181.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Murdock's not quite as 'no-kill' as Spider-Man or Batman, but he usually wants the bad guys to get due process. He's been pushed a few times, including a riveting issue where he basically plays Russian Roulette with an in-traction Bullseye for killing his lover and ruining his life.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Daredevil trailer looks awesome, but is lacking in Catholic themes/imagery.

The teaser trailer that came out first has him going to confession.

notthegoatseguy posted:

There was another run from Anna Nacoti that was pretty good as well. I'd love to see Typhoid Mary in this series.

Ann Nocenti. She actually had a slightly similar approach to Waid, in that they both featured villains you might not otherwise think of putting Daredevil against.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I remember really liking Kevin Smith's run (with Quesada doing the art I think) but maybe that's just because at the time Daredevil had been such a terribly wasted character, and this was actually attempting something interesting, maybe it's aged horribly?

Bendis' run was stupendous though.

Quesada's art was great, but Smith's script did fall a little into 'greatest hits' territory, and the villain is very Marmite among readers. People either love the novelty, or hate the outcome.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the AIDS thing was actually Smith trying to actually cover the topic, not just a shock-value thing. He introduced an HIV positive character in Green Arrow also.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's some Kingpin and Urich, for sure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Test Pattern posted:

She's not as good a trial lawyer, despite coming out of the DA's office -- from everything we've seen about her actually practicing, she's much better at the negotiating table and in the 99% of litigation that isn't in the courtroom.

That's often because when stuff does go to court, it's because she managed to talk Spider-Man into suing the Bugle for defamation, not realising he'd have to name himself in the suit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
DeKnight's been up-front that Kingpin's basically the only big gun this go around.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Holy poo poo yeah. The choreography in this show is so, so good. I agree that I wish the fights were better lit, though. At the same time, I know that's the aesthetic you're going for.

All I know is I'm glad this is by most accounts the future of media and I hope Marvel rides this motherfucker 'til the wheels come off, because I love superheroes and the aesthetics and everything, but I just can't find the energy, motivation, time, and/or resources to really get into comics. Doesn't Marvel have a digital subscription service now that's kinda like Scribd for comics or something? And didn't DC work out a similar deal with Scribd directly? Or am I imagining that?

Actually, Marvel are the ones that did a deal with Scribd, along with a bunch of smaller publishers. DC are allergic to anything that allows people to read their content more conveniently. If you're mostly looking for Marvel stuff, though, their Unlimited service is better, as it's a more complete library. Their Scribd offerings are mostly a sample platter, though there's a lot of good Daredevil on both.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Nah, Frank Castle being a dude is... I wouldn't say literally inherent to the character but definitely thematically inherent. He's pretty much a ticking time bomb of toxic masculinity that detonated in the direction of organized crime.

1x01

Huh, a DeKnight show that actually shies away from showing a titty. Never would have guessed.

I imagine Marvel Studios probably have a "if you wouldn't see it in a Daredevil comic, you won't see it in the show" rule regarding content.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Deadpool posted:

Or I dunno, make something with one of the many great female characters they already have. Maybe that's too easy though.

Can go worse than a distaff version of a white male character created by Rucka. (I like that run on Punisher. Alves' origin is just the right level of melodrama to make a new Punisher)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

cams posted:

there should be a running total of how many canes matt murdock has discarded around the city

Kingpin's real plan to clean up the Kitchen is to stop littering.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Drifter posted:

He cares about 2 people.

I don't get where you're seeing that he's a good person aside from him telling you he's a good person.

He's a bad person, but D'Onofrio convinces me that he really believes he's not.

1x08

He really wants to believe he's not his dad, when he's exactly the man his dad wanted to be. With the same delusions that's it's about standing up for his beliefs and not about feeding his ego.

Also, that actor is really unfortunately type-cast as shitbag meatheads, isn't he? Herc from the wire, and now Mr Wife-Beater McChild-Abuser.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Valeyard posted:

There was a scene where Kingpin's men flat out said they had a video of her doing "some shady stuff in her college years" or whatever

That wasn't her, that was the forewoman of the jury for that case Wesley brought Nelson & Murdock, and Matt made the henchman destroy the tape.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

There was also the case of Tony blowing up all his armor and getting the surgery.

Please. Like he didn't get inspiration a week later and was in the basement with his holo-blueprinter making the Mk 616 or whatever. Probably with Pepper in nothing but a sports bra and booty shorts trying to distract him with her abs and failing.

"Be right with ya, babe, just gotta get the control surfaces and the weapon layout jusssssst right..."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd say I disagreed with the text of the review, considering that the big criticisms were that it was dark and violent, and that there was no levity or humour. The former is... um, yeah? That's kind of the USP of Daredevil in this incarnation, and of the Netflix series in general. And Daredevil has that tone as it's most iconic mode. And the second... I really don't know what show Noel Murray watched. The screeners that critics got were the first five, and if you don't think Foggy and Karen drunkly yelling about eel strength is humour, I'm not sure what to tell you. You can think it wasn't funny, but that's not the same thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, he got most of the good stuff either because the person knew Fisk was gonna kill them anyway (The dirty cop, Vladimir) or by tailing and listening, which is a legit investigative technique. The only things torturing people really got him were Fisk's name, and the location of that kid the Russian's kidnapped.

Well, and the warehouse where they took the junkie that killed Elena, but that was a trap, so beating that out of him was dumb.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the suit looked great in motion, but static it's a little awkward.

And jesus, the people saying 'make it not red and lose the horns' would fuckin' love it if they'd ditched the ears and cape in The Dark Knight, then? Just had Christian Bale in hockey pads and a balaclava?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, please change thread title to Netflix Marvel: Daredevil, Avocado At Law

EDIT:^^^ Then yeah, you don't want a comic book show. Which is fine, but you should probably not watch one and torture yourself with how much more you'd enjoy it if it wasn't what it is.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

I have never seen a name origin story that made any kind of organic sense.

I liked the knots Whedon tied himself into to try and make 'Avengers' make sense. Considering in Avengers #1 it's literally because Wasp thinks it sounds cool.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ShineDog posted:

I... Don't think thats very reasonable. Look at loving Smallville. For however terrible a show it was no less a superhero show that flash or arrow are and Clarks suit didn't show up basically at all. Also, Batmans Iconograph is far more engrained in the character than DDs is, if they kept DD in the black suit it's not going to hurt who he is. Matt isn't scrawling devil horns and wings on everything he touches.

That was a combination of Welling's neuroses, and the producers for the first 7-8 years being terrified of the source material's 'silly' parts.

And I very much disagree that the contrast of the Catholic lawyer and the vigilante in devil horns isn't as iconic as the bat. One of the most enduring images from the comics and the Affleck film is Daredevil draped over a cross. Doesn't work as well if he's a dude in a black bandana.

Plus, the entire point of the subplot with the priest is to justify the look of the suit, in the same way that him being cut to poo poo constantly justifies the armour.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Only one I really noticed was the Microsoft tablet early on because I already watch for those now thanks to Arrow where it's hilariously blatant. Maybe the phones were windows phones too? Not sure.

I think Foggy's phone had the bright colour back that MS's Lumia line normally have, yeah.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, the stuff about him being genuine about his love for Vanessa and going nuts if she's hurt is true to the comics.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

Also was I the only one that kept looking for Oscorp logos hidden in various places while watching this show?

Daredevil finished filming before the Sony deal went through, so there was literally no chance of that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Purple Man doesn't rape Jessica Jones.

By a very, very technical margin. He certainly abuses her in a sexual context in the comics.

mikeraskol posted:

I only know of the comic secondhand, but doesn't he make her watch as he rapes/sexually assaults other women though?

And beg him to do the same to her, yes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

greatn posted:

It doesn't seem suuuuper cool that one of Marvel's first leading women if it's following the comics is basically going to feature Rape Man as the villain and use rape as a plot device for character development. Then again, they might not be going that direction. Just from reading about the Purple Man I'm hoping it's not as rapey as the book.

If you haven't read the book, you really should. Yes, Kilgrave is SUPER creepy, but the story is very easy to interpret as a recovery narrative. It's not 'girl is abused by Mr Rape and is traumatised, The End', it's about her facing up to that experience and moving on with her life, in the best way of all comic books: The power of really blatant symbolic rear end-kickings. With more swearing than your average Marvel book.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Well, now I wanna see Star Lord in season 2.

He hears Fisk's a murderous crime boss, immediately shoots him in the face with a laser gun.

"Was that so hard?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm trying to think, are there any canon supervillain lawyers? Like either just lawyers that cater to the spandex crowd, or like crooked lawyer by day, masked murdered by night? I can think of a few MDs and shrinks, but not any lawyers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

Some goons in this thread have a really weird idea of what constitutes "selfish" behavior.

They did this in the Venture Bros. once. Monarch had the poo poo beaten out of him by Captain Sunshine, who proceeded to fly off and dump him in a nearby prison yard. Of course the Monarch was immediately released because what the hell you can't arrest someone for being beaten up by a super hero.

There's a recent issue of Nova where the eponymous hero does something similar. He beat up Carnage and dropped him at the prison gates, and one of the guards was happy he hung around, so he could explain that they don't take deliveries.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mr.capps posted:

Old Beetle was, this is a new Beetle. She defends Baron Zemo in court and asks if she can be the new Beetle and he is like "yeah sure"

Yeah, because OG Beetle switched sides and is an occasional hero under the name MACH (insert Roman numeral here depending on which version of the suit), in a less bug-themed suit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Raserys posted:

Johnny Yong Bosch is: The Iron Fist
If he were 10 years younger, that might actually be an idea.

Steve Yun posted:

As an Asian™, I grant permission to Marvel to cast a white person as an expert in Asian martial arts.

edit: In return I will expect Asians to be granted license to play experts in doing White People Things, like shooting guns

Cool. James Woo, professional shooter of guns and wearer of suits, coming soon to Netflix!

Modus Operandi posted:

Here's another piece to the MU puzzle that hasn't been solved yet until now.

Who is going to be cast as Fu Manc-

Nic Cage. I don't care what other points you have, the answer is Nic Cage.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Ninja's are the best. Scientific fact.

Incorrect. One ninja is the best. Many ninjas suck.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Deadpool posted:

As I said in another thread Phillippe is fine for the role, but I was secretly hoping for Dan Stevens.

Couldn't Phillipe be being courted for Bullseye?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Ugh such a good series marred by that ending.

I mean, if you're going to play up the devil business, they should've done a backlit silhouette to emphasize the horns or something

They did, though? :confused: Seriously, I think some of y'all convinced yourself this was the Wire or a docu-drama, and not a pulpy comic-book show with more shades of grey than usual.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"I meant I was in a sorority, you moron!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, in the Miller comics, they flirt BY fighting. (Yes, a Frank Miller female character that gets hot by doing violence, I too am shocked.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Tennant is going to be using his not very good American accent for this isn't he.

Kilgrave is supposed to be Eastern European so he'll prob- yes. Almost certainly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Full trailer? A month before the debut. Like, exactly. Trailer came out on March 10th, show on April 10th.

Also, this one is clearly meant to be similar to the motion poster one that Daredevil had. It's almost the exact same shot of the street, just in a different colour pallet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't think so. Rosenberg has said they've toned Jessica's powers back a little. I think she's at 'leap moderately-sized apartment buildings' levels, as opposed to true flight like she has in the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yes, but she crashed into Thor the first time, and I believe also lands badly the first twice she does it outside of flashbacks.