Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

hcreight posted:

I'm curious to see if they had any of these characters in mind for crossovers when they made that Sony deal, seeing as how all of these characters have close associations with Spider-Man. But we'll see.

I hope Marvel's being serious about the Netflix shows being a little more adult-oriented. 616 Jessica has the mouth of a sailor and it'd be cool if that carried into this show. And Ritter can totally pull that aspect of her personality off.

Well Daredevil is rated M and I don't see how they can properly translate Alias to television without at least having swearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, the Kevin Smith run might've worked better if you read it at the time, but coming to it like a couple of years ago I thought it was a deeply cynical piece of poo poo. Like all the AIDS stuff and Daredevil almost killing a baby for no reason, just awful.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

Considering how much they ruined your character in Wolverine: Origins, I'm inclined to agree.

"Hey, let's take a popular character who is known for never shutting the gently caress up, but we sew his mouth shut."
"loving brilliant plan, only let's also give him a bunch of random superpowers he has never shown in the comics."

I just assume there was copious amounts of Cocaine involved in those decisions. Because then that would make more sense than sober people making that film.

Not to defend that movie on a qualitative level, but if you were a villain and you had to brainwash Deadpool, sewing his mouth shut would probably be on the top of your list of priorities.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah it's the first issue of Garth Ennis' run which, along with his MAX run, is considered the definitive modern Punisher story.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I can't see them ever doing a standalone Punisher thing again. Something like Ennis' run is just way too bleak and depressing that any large audience would swallow it in the same way as they would Daredevil, there's no good way to make that character sympathetic so it's best to have him as an actual villain. The alternative is to make an over the top action movie, which they did, or hamfistedly try to make him sympathetic, which they did, and neither worked out. That character is done getting his own films/shows.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 11, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gyges posted:

At least the one guy Superman killed didn't have to burn to death and then have everyone ignore his death. Good thing for Matt that Catholicism apparently grants you one manslaughter mulligan.

Daredevil is anti-killing, but he doesn't magically always avoid killing anyone like Superman. In the comics he is responsible for a lot of deaths, either by accident or neglect or necessity. One of the early Frank Miller comics has him accidentally knocking a prostitute out a window.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

That prostitute ended up being Typhoid Mary

That was a really dumb retcon. What a lovely character.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DC has a lot of weird steadfast editorial rules regarding Batman or Superman, like how you should never depict Batman sitting down (don't know if they've gone back on this after being ridiculed about it), so not that I know of outside of an Elsewords comic.

That's why it was such a big deal when he at least had the intent to kill Darkseid in Final Crisis. But yeah Marvel is generally more flexible about that stuff, even if the hero has a moral obligation to avoid killing. Though they've always gone back and forth about, for instance, Hulk, who has literally destroyed cities without apparently killing anyone.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

No, but the movie was practically ready to start shooting when he left the project. Ant-Man is a weird aberration, because it's clearly not part of whatever they're doing with the next 6+ movies, so it just seems like a legacy thing that was planned long before Marvel actually had a solid strategy up until 2020.

Well maybe he'll show up in Civil War or something if it's a success, but I doubt it will be (at least on the level of Guardians), I can definitely see it being put into the same drawer as the Ed Norton Hulk in that they'd rather forget it ever existed.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gyges posted:

Isn't The Hood still owned by Marvel? I remember him being pretty lovely, but he's a thief. I think.

He had a really good solo series, and would work very well as a film villain, I think. He was just wasted by latter-day Bendis and AFAIK hasn't really popped up in anything in years.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ShakeZula posted:

So is there still no release date for Jessica Jones? Seems like they're cutting it pretty close if they're going to put it out in 2015.

I think they're still aiming for October. You'd think we would have seen a trailer by now though

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

HIJK posted:

http://youtu.be/F5vG6JXbT38 Second teaser for JJ. I hope we get to see the fight!

She should've loving shattered the glass at the end there

Anyway give us a real drat trailer c'mon

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gyges posted:

Isn't Carol Danvers the more likely TV/Movie cross over?

None of this stuff is ever going to cross over, I don't know why he's even being coy about it

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zythrst posted:

Yeah I don't know why they'd shy away from including a Daredevil cameo somewhere, he's an A list character.

No he isn't. Not to say he isn't given proper respect but even in the comics he's cordoned off in his own little corner and rarely crosses over with anything else, at least in modern times. The last time I even remember him appearing in a big event was during Civil War and he was not a big part of that either.

HIJK posted:

Well I can't imagine they won't bring the Defenders into Infinity War considering how popular these shows are or will be. I mean, the whole reason they split Infinity War into two parts is to shove in every single superhero so they can superhero that poo poo up, or so I would think. It would be completely insane not to.

Not really, there's no guarantee Defenders will be a big hit and there'll probably be more than enough characters in Infinity War. Besides the whole point of Defenders is that they're the street level heroes, they sure as poo poo aren't going to be messing around with loving Thanos.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Electromax posted:

e: Don't know anything about Alias or JJ but I've heard that part of the reason she retires from being a hero involves some dark stuff with "Purple Man"...?

Purple man can mind control people and he makes her his puppet, he doesn't get physical with her, but she's essentially mind raped.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dexo posted:

He does though

I read it like 3 weeks ago, he definitely doesn't. It almost goes out of its way to specify it without any doubt.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 6, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dexo posted:

I read it 2 days ago. She says something to the effect of "He would make me watch him raping the random women he found around, but when no one was around to mind control, he would make me beg for it"

He would make her beg for it and then not do it, that was the whole point. Ultimately it's a distinction between comic book mind rape and actual rape and it's maybe not worth arguing over, we don't even know whether the show will have anything similar.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Even as cool as Iron Fist can be, his series is the one I'm most iffy about. I think it's a hard sell for TV, I'm worried they can't do all the mystical martial arts stuff justice without turning it into a 70s-style kung fu movie which is pretty played out at this point, but if they make it more realistic it's just gonna be too similar to Daredevil.

I'd much rather they just made him a bigger part of Luke Cage's show and turned that into Heroes for Hire, and then went and did a Moon Knight show instead because how loving cool would that be.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

We should probably just ignore anything by Rich Johnston or Devin Faraci, they've dug their own graves and filled them full of horseshit rumors.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So are there really no in-depth reviews of the first episode of JJ? What the gently caress are you good for internet

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

tsob posted:

Is there any actual Luke Cage comics? I know he's been in Heroes for Hire stuff and been leading his own Avengers team for a while, but has he had any solo stuff in the last decade to go with his new prominence?

Cage doesn't have much of a solo presence, at least in modern times. He was kind of a pet character for Bendis (who wrote Alias) and so he used him a lot, he became the leader of the New Avengers as you know, which was a decent book but since it isn't MAX it's obviously very PG and because it was one of the mainline books it got caught up in a lot of event nonsense, especially Civil War, so you'll have to wade through some business to get the complete story. There are neat moments though, like how Luke insists that the Avengers focus more on actual street crime instead of just cosmic bullshit, so he has them visiting crime-ridden neighbourhoods and such. Jessica Jones is also a side character here. Like most long-running Bendis books it eventually goes off the deep end and they start introducing wacky subplots like hiring Squirrel Girl to be their babysitter.

You'll probably want to at least read The Pulse which is essentially the sequel to Alias, except it's also not MAX and deals more with the rest of the Marvel universe.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 19, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I love how they're basically setting it up as a superhero-themed horror story. Tennant already looks amazing and you only even see him for like a second.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I get the sense that CBR leaked it early since quality-wise it looked like they had captured it from a Netflix stream. It'll probably be up shortly on the official channel.

Ed: There we go vvvvvv

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, between that, and the chick with the gun under her chin... that's just not the kinds of things I can watch. Ah well. My loss, I suppose.

That's fair, the comic gets super loving dark and this kinda looks even darker than that

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It reminded me of that issue of Neil Gaiman's Sandman where a telepath walks into a diner and makes everyone in there do really hosed up stuff for an entire day before making them all kill themselves/each other horribly.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking of as well. Alias never got quite that hosed up.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jedit posted:

Kilgrave in the comics once ordered everyone in a busy restaurant to stop breathing because the sound was disturbing him while he ate. I would say that matter of factness is more hosed up than a gibbering nut torturing people because he can.

That's debatable, but either way there's a big difference between someone mentioning that a thing happened (I forget whether or not they even depicted that) and having an entire chapter devoted to showing how Dr. Destiny completely loving destroyed these people. Alias never even comes close to being as messed up as that scene in Sandman IMO.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 23, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

gently caress you and your stupid names DC

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's awesome, gently caress an Iron Fist show

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

lol if you think an Iron Fist show wouldn't just be Daredevil mk. 2

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

Punched a dragon in the heart for magic kung fu powers. Can not be stressed enough how amazingly weird a setting that would be to add to the MCU.

Yeah but they're not gonna do that poo poo in a TV show. It's just gonna be a bunch of martial arts with allusions to mystical stuff happening, just like Daredevil.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Based on this it sounds like there's barely any resemblance between the comic storyline and the TV show beyond the extreme broad stroaks. I don't have a problem with this, but it's worth noting.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Which is fine because that's not really what the story is about, it's just a factor

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

Are we certain kilgrave is dead-dead? I loved his character and feel like whoever they come up with next won't be nearly as compelling.

For sure. Unless they pull some kinda "Kilgrave just told them all he was dead" kinda poo poo but that would undermine the whole season so that's not gonna happen

Knifegrab posted:

Are we ever supposed to empathize with Robyn? I get that her brother died but she is so unreasonable and just downright stupid/selfish/neurotic the whole show I was just waiting for her to be killed off.

I think you're supposed to not wish death upon a person just because they're neurotic and annoying

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

gently caress Punisher. He's a disgrace to heroes, police, and military men.

True if he were a real person

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

HIJK posted:

Can you rephrase this with less jargon plz. Thank you.

Killing is wrong but someone like Batman morally lording themselves over someone like Punisher is probably being hypocritical.

This sort of thing always reminds me of that godawful Superman monologue from "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?" where he comes off as such a smug, author self-insert prick that suddenly I'm rooting for the guy who kills people.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Pander posted:

The use of violence to subdue violence criminals is not objectionable as long as it's as restrained as possible.

Yeah but we're talking about superheroes where nothing is ever restrained. Look at that loving fight in the new BvS trailer and tell me Batman isn't punishing those guys.

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think that has happened.

Not literally that specific example, but comic writers pull that poo poo as obvious subtext all the loving time, such as the aforementioned Superman comic.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Four Score posted:

why the gently caress is that not Tom Jane

Tom Jane is killing it in a great loving show right now (The Expanse), just let him have this, he's not used to success

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

America isn't ready for an Asian Iron Fist.

Maybe he'll be gay

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Either Fisk is going to return at the end or they're gonna tease Bullseye or something. Or maybe the Hand is actually just the main villain, they did tease The Beast first season right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

XboxPants posted:

that format's slowly dying while this one's in bloom

I don't disagree about TV, but each loving superhero movie keeps making more money than the last so I dunno how you can say this