Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

UberAaron posted:

It would be nice, but it may be too hard a sell. The street level shows have a great selling point in that they aren't overly effects heavy. Everything I've seen from Daredevil has good production values, but doesn't look expensive. I'm not sure what the financial situation is with these shows, but I'm almost certain that less is being spent per episode than Agents of Shield.
Honestly Agents of SHIELD has never looked as good as it should, given the resources available. Person of Interest (or Hannibal) look a lot better, Arrow and Flash look about as good (but are much cheaper), and that's before you go to cable stuff.

200M over 3 years for 60 episodes is pretty standard for cable / Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ambivalent posted:

I like Arrow and Flash quite a bit but the sets on those do look way cheaper than anything on AoS. Clothing and costumes and stuff do, too.

I don't know, AoS had that horrible Deathlok costume, the temple / city sets and seems to love spending FX money on the bus doing stupid poo poo. It's improved this season (along with everything else about the show) but it's still nowhere near as good visually as it should be.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

NowonSA posted:

That's pretty remarkable. I suppose Marvel's never really had an issue with its heroes killing people. Has Batman killed anyone on accident or intentionally in the past 30 or so years in a mainstream comic? The most recent one I can think of is Killing Joke, and even that's subject to interpretation.

Darkseid in Final Crisis, arguably.

There are a few other minor ones (random mooks dying due to <something> indirectly) but that's easily the biggest.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lycus posted:

I'm not at all excited for Iron Fist because I flat-out never heard of him before this Netflix order, but if you comic book people say he's cool, then alright.

The main reason people care about Iron Fist these days is that just under 10 years ago a few of the best writers / artists in the industry got a hold of the character and had a really, really good run with it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Daredevil was as dark as the :nolan: films.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Why is this a smiley

Because people wouldn't shut up about The Dark Knight in Cinema Discusso, I think.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

The image says both C and F. If that's Celcius, then yeah, otherwise, I'm at 71 F.

It's in Celsius. Sydney's getting an early taste of summer today, and it loving sucks.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Accretionist posted:

Season 1 was cool. I can't even remember where I stopped. Have they finished his flashbacks? If they keep it going long enough, eventually they'll either need to start running an alternate timeline or just start splicing in scenes from season 1.

They are part way through season 5, and part way through the final (ie 5th) year of flashbacks. They're planning to link the flashbacks up to the start of the show and then stop doing them as a regular thing,

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

As Nero Danced posted:

Can there only be one Iron Fist at a time? Does it obey Highlander rules and give the power to whoever kills him? I know he got it from a dragon in a cave we never see (except for some badly done eyes) but gently caress it this show needs something to make it interesting.

From Immortal Iron Fist: there's meant to be only one at once but that rule can be broken.

Immortal Iron Fist is great.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Maluco Marinero posted:

They really don't. Super sanitised murder at a moments notice, even as a joke's punchline, yet Marvel TV wrings it's hands over it.
Just the Netflix shows really, AoS is generally okay with it.

E: It'd be weird if a group of soldiers and spies wasn't okay with killing people.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

He's a hundred years old.

Yeah, and that quote isn't entirely representative of his position

Roy Thomas also posted:

He was a character for a comic book at a different time. It’s very easy to second-guess anything. You can argue about Tarzan, you can argue about almost any character who came up then is bound to be not quite PC by some later standard or other. Okay, so you can make some adjustments. If they wanted to kill off white Iron Fist and come up with one who wasn’t Caucasian, that wouldn’t have bothered me, but neither am I ashamed for having made up one who was. He wasn’t intended to stand for any race. He was just a man who was indoctrinated into a certain thing.

On the other hand, if they had decided to make Iron Fist an Asian, that would have been fine with me, too. I wouldn’t have cared. I didn’t consider myself the safeguard of some kind of Caucasian literary standard or anything like that. But I would have found it easier to write about a Caucasian, so that’s one reason I probably did it. If somebody had suggested, “You want to make it so he’s Asian?” Well, we could have done that too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

McSpanky posted:

Does anyone know just how far in advance they planned this whole Defenders thing? Because bringing the Hand in for Daredevil was already begging the mysticism question before Danny even showed up, it seems pretty lame to go "oh that would've been too much" when we already had demon children and zombie ninjas for two seasons before his show even aired.

The initial announcement for the 4 series and then the teamup was back in 2013.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Also Scarlet Witch.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Do they even ever say what happened to the previous Iron Fist. Seems like a glaring omission.

I hope that was deliberate because Orson rules.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

LGD posted:

I was pretty out of it when I watched this, but did they ever explain why the Hand decided to sell their magic heroin as a street drug instead of raking in a zillion times as much money by having one of the many corporations they control have the exclusive patent to a potent analgesic that apparently doesn't build tolerance?

I mean there was a lot that was very dumb about this show, but that one kind of stuck out for me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xVjjOOiA40

Another role where he talks about being a good fighter.

I remember people calling him skinny-fat based in that scene too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

AoS has:

• High quality writing that results in excellent dialogue and compelling plots
  • Very, very talented cast who love their jobs and have great chemistry and lots of fun together
  • High production values after mid season 1

You are an extraordinarily generous person.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I can't, however, speak to the Marvel comics and whatever they're doing with Nazi Cap and Magneto and poo poo. That poo poo sounds hosed.
The Magneto stuff is based on one variant cover and a very brief description of an upcoming issue. On the one hand the whole thing hasn't done much to deserve charity, on the other hand people are assuming a lot based on very little info.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gyges posted:

Given everything that was super wrong with the production, it isn't fair to really place much blame on Finn Jones. He could totally be an unworkable choice, but everything that went down on that cursed production would have made the platonic ideal choice look like poo poo. Dude was only being taught the choreography for fights 15 minutes before shooting began and was given something stupid like 6 weeks to get good at kung fu and pack on muscle.

He could have packed on muscle at any time during his 6 years on Game of Thrones, given his character was meant to be a heartthrob who was also one of the greatest knights in the world.

Except he didn't, and he looked poo poo then too.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 24, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

You didn't like him in Tropic Thunder?

Or in Magnolia. Or even Collateral, in a way.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Finally got around to JJ and a few episodes in am loving it.

It's really good, and I think part of the reason it was so successful is that it didn't feel like a normal superhero thing (unlike Daredevil S1 which was great but very traditional).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The first season of Arrow dabbles a bit in the class war aspect of the character but they've been downplaying it since.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Those people suck in the brain. Daredevil was way better and most importantly, it had WAY better action. There was zero good action in Jessica Jones

And Jessica Jones was much more interesting thematically than yet another iteration on the morality of superhero vigilantism (even if it was a pretty good take).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

I think Jessica Jones is up there with DDs1 too.

Easily. It's much more interesting and originally thematically compared to Daredevil's (well-executed) take on the morality of vigilantism.