Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I wanted Terry Crews to be Luke Cage but other than that I'm excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Just finished this and I liked it more than Daredevil(which I like a lot). A lot of people didn't like Nuke showing up but I liked it. Not going to go into detail about what I liked and stuff but I will say that I hope Kilgrave isn't dead and shows up in Agents of Shield locked up or something. Also I liked the fighting since her and Cage just toss around guys. Wish they showed her flying more.

I also want to say Krysten Ritter has lips like plump cherries.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 22, 2015

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I can get why the police didn't investigate kilgrave. He's pretty smart about making sure no one has any evidence he exist. They showed it's hard to prove and even said that saying you were under his control became a fad defense.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Nah I really liked Ritter as Jones and was surprised by all the accolades Coulter is getting as Luke. He's not bad but he's not amazing either.

I think I'm the only person who liked Robyn. I found her to be more comedy relief than an annoyance.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I thought Robyn was overbearing because she was used to taking care of her brother who seemed a little...slow. Not saying she's a good person but I didn't find her annoying.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I don't see how people don't get that the reason she didn't want to kill Kilgrave in the beginning was that if they could get him alive and prove his powers, then they'd be able to help some of the people he'd hurt. By doing that Jessica would feel she would be redeemed from being under his control and get some control of her life. Everything involving Kilgrave was personal as hell to her; he wasn't just some villain that she had to take out.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Terrible Horse posted:

all the fights didn't look like a very powerful person dominating normals but rather bad wire work and stuntmen over selling it. I think the actress for Jones just isn't very naturally athletic and it makes it hard to buy.

I took it as her holding back. When her and Luke fought, they were throwing each other threw walls and stuff. My favorite part of the show was her ending the Nuke fight by shoving his head through an air conditioner unit and dropping a fridge of him.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Thinking back on the series, I really liked Jessica's relationship with Luke.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

This show is not remotely PC and it's very cool. Lesbians and sex are two things that are also cool.

A woman or minority with any sort of power is PC to some people.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Medullah posted:

I liked the show quite a bit despite its deviation from the comic I kind of wish they'd have stuck with the comic "He never forced me to have sex with him, instead he forced me to watch him with other women and wish I was them" because that was so drat sadistic. Also wish we'd gotten the "everyone you're breathing too loud" scene, but oh well.. However, the one part that I literally screamed "oh come on this is terrible" was when 1x10 (I think) Simpson was attacking them and they did the whole 'NOW I NEED TO TAKE HIS MAGIC PILLS TO BEAT HIM' trope.. Pulled me out of the storyline. I also wish there had been more actual detective work and a few episodes not focusing on Killgrave, but oh well. Still solid.

It's sadistic but then just why? It'd be really weird and pointless for him to do that. And when Simpson took the pills I was like "Oh poo poo! They put Nuke in here!" I just can't get upset when seeds are planted for future villains.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Gyges posted:

No, it happened later after her and Luke were officially an item. I kind of want them to cover that part of her story later because it's a big part of her "healing" arc where she sort of works through her Killgrave baggage.

To bad we can't watch her beat the poo poo out of [comic spoiler]the Goblin with his glider.

With Spider-Man getting added to the mcu, one can hope.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I'm only on episode 6 but I love all this lawyering.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I just realized D.A. Reyes was detective Jeffries from the first season of SVU.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

So just... not really spoilers but general discussion. How do folks like Daredevil and The Punisher stack up against legitimate super powered people like Jessica Jones or Luke Cage? It seems like they're on a whole separate level in terms of ability.
I get that they're supposed to be distinct stories and all but if Luke Cage had half a mind to it seems like he could snap them both in half.

I feel like that's how it's supposed to be and I like it.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 19, 2016

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Coldforge posted:

Somewhat on this topic, how does the Punisher stack up against Daredevil in hand to hand fights? Only just finished episode 2, but it's seemed that both times they've fought (both rooftop fights, not talking about the 'fight' after they drop through the skylight) the Punisher has had the upper hand, even without firearms being involved. Which feels odd, and is throwing me off a bit.

If I remember the first episode correctly, Daredevil was the better fighter but it becomes clearer in future episodes that the punisher can take a lot of uh, punishment.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

Why does the DA look familar? IMDB says she was in Jessica Jones but I have no recollection of that whatsoever.

Gaunab posted:

I just realized D.A. Reyes was detective Jeffries from the first season of SVU.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I just started episode 8 and it just made me realize how much I want a the Defenders show just so I can see Luke Cage tossing ninjas around like nothing. Hopefully while Jessica Jones sips from a bottle of whisky. Also holy poo poo, it's Clancy Brown.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Kegslayer posted:

Report from episode 6.

Daredevil and Elektra are officially the best couple. All other opinions are objectively and factually wrong

I want to see the Defenders combine the different fighting styles where Daredevil really gets into it and spins around with all these cool fancy moves while Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are just like :effort: and swing guys back and forth while bored as gently caress.

Pretty much. The action in both shows are two different beast. Daredevil is trying to sell one trained man fighting against people using his skills and abilities. Jessica Jones is someone with superhuman strength who doesn't want to fight; basically like an adult fighting a toddler

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Just finished the season and I liked it as much as the previous season. Pretty happy with what they did with the Punisher but I hope he doesn't get his own series even though he probably will. I'm also glad they changed the rooftop scene from the comics because Garth Ennis is a hack.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 19, 2016

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Around episode 11 or 12 when the ninjas invaded the hospital, I was hoping Claire would call Luke or Jessica to help keep guard. I'm glad it didn't go that way though because it would have hindered the story and whatnot.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Mars4523 posted:

This season could have used a few more episodes to better flesh out the concluding arcs of both storylines, especially Frank Castle's storyline with the Blacksmith's organization. That in particular felt incredibly rushed and thinly plotted.

I think they left that open in case they decide to make a punisher series.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Medullah posted:

Yeah (series spoiler) I'm a bit bummed that there was a conspiracy to kill Frank's family. The Punisher's origin is so simple there's no need to muddy it up with conspiracy. Careless crime goons shoot at each other with no regard to innocents, his family is caught in the crossfire, he decides no more families need to get caught in mob crossfire and becomes the Punisher.

I thought this was an improvement on his origin. The cover ups help sell him not having faith in the justice system.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I expect Claire to be the Charlie of the Defenders with Luke, Jessica, Matt and Danny being her Angels. I'm guessing Matt is going to be the heart of the team, the one who keeps everyone together.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

S2:
The scene where Daredevil interviews Frank is weird. "I'd like to treat him as a hostile witness. *Goes on a monologue that doesn't end in a question.

And did anyone else think the Delaware Bikers thing was a deleted subplot? It gets its own scene when Foggy talks to the Dogs but gets resolved entirely off camera. Maybe they couldn't find a location that looked like Delaware?

Nah, the Delaware Bikers thing was just to show how far the DA would go to bury her mistake. If Matt and Foggy hadn't replaced the public defender, Frank would have been shipped to Delaware to be executed and the DA's cover-up would continue to go unnoticed.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Eau de MacGowan posted:

*milhouse voice* Why were the yakuza digging a 40 storey hole???

Why did Wilson Fisk, after stating that the Punisher is superb at murder and that he knows the Punisher is pissed off at him for trying to get him killed and knowing that the Punisher holds grudges, release the Punisher???

Is this right: The Punisher's family was killed because the Dutton guy in prison set up a three way heroin deal between three gangs that went wrong because of an undercover police officer so the DA wants the Punisher silenced to prevent word getting out, but ACTUALLY the Punisher and his family were there at this monstrous gunfight because ACTUALLY there was in fact a fourth party involved, the Kurgan, who was the Punisher's commanding officer, who wanted the Punisher to get in on smuggling heroin from Afghanistan but the Punisher wouldn't so the Kurgan killed the Punisher's entire family and because of the brain damage the Punisher forgot this and killed the three gangs instead, and then he remembered and killed the Kurgan and found the Kurgan's sweet stash of machine guns.

Dutton set up a meeting for three gangs to potentially buy heroin from Frank's C.O. who since they got out of the military became the Blacksmith. Whether the meeting took place in order to take out frank isn't clear. What was clear though was that Frank's family got taken out in the gang shoot-out. I'm guessing the writers left some things open in case the punisher gets his own show.

Fisk let Frank go because the punisher is good at murder and since he targets criminals, he'll get a lot of Fisk's competition out of the way. Basically he wants what happened in the prison to happen in Hell's Kitchen.

We can stop using spoilers now right?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I've seen the hand hate a lot and I think they'd be an easier pill to swallow if show acknowledged the rest of MCU more. People need a reminder this show takes place in the same universe as alien gods. Also:

BiggerBoat posted:

If you have to have ninjas, they could have used the Madame Gao character to orchestrate that.

Madame Gao is Chinese. Nobu is the head of the New York branch of the Yakuza that's basically an extension of the hand.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Take The Hand, Stick, Black Sky and the Ninja stuff and move it into the Iron Fist and Dr. Strange shows where it belongs.

Stick, The Hand and all the Ninja stuff belong to Daredevil like it or not.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Is it unusual for television shows to leave some things unresolved at the end of a season?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Phenotype posted:

No, it's not unusual, which is why I compared it to Black Sky in S1, which featured in an episode or two and was just a mysterious hook for the shadowy ninja clan, to be followed up on. The hole and the blood draining were the central plot for the last 2/3 of the season, and there was little to no explanation. That is the difference. A few side stories left as mysteries is one thing, but you can't do that with the antagonists' main motivations without making the story feel unfulfilling.

I thought the central plot of the 2/3 was stopping the Hand. As far as Matt knows, he's succeeded but we know better.

Anybody have any hopefuls for Bullseye's casting?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I never realized how many people were punisher fans. Like not in the series but just in general. I was never a huge fan but I enjoyed his depiction this season.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Mcnulty would have made a good Bullseye.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Just finished it. I liked the show overall. Mariah's fanning the flames seemed to only work at the political level and barely at that. Didn't like the romance between Claire and Cage. I was also hoping for a Jessica Jones cameo. I wasn't aware so many people disliked Jessica Jones.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
The thing I liked most about the show was that no matter how much Luke was accused of, the community stood by him because they know who he is. When Cottonmouth shook up the neighborhood, they went to him because they trusted him. That's what always stood out about Luke Cage to me at least.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Glad I'm not the only person who wasn't a fan of the Luke/Claire romance. Hope the tv and movie divisions can improve communications.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Cottonmouth might be bisexual? They had a gay inhuman in season 3 of agents of shield but he disappeared near the end of the season.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

I'm probably the only person who actually got a big kick out of the fight between Hammer Tech Diamondback and Cage at Pop's Barber Shop. It's like the show wanted to wait until nearly the very last moment before becoming a tried and true comic book story.

I liked it but at the same time i didn't like it because I knew the people who complained about the Hand would complain about it. Also the choreography could have used a little more work.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I turn to a random episode of Law and Order and who do I see? Madam Gao!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Out of context, Danny screaming at Colleen about whether she cared about him before or after the fist is pretty funny. It's actually pretty funny with context too.

Hope Luke breaks up with Claire. Like him and Jessica together better.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 19, 2017

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I'm on episode 12 and it still has my interest. I agree that Finn Jones needs to work on his kung-fu. It's funny because like Dr. Strange, Iron Fist is another Marvel property that suffers from having Batman Begins borrow from its origins.

Anyways the point of this post was that I hope Colleen and Misty form Daughters of the Dragon during Defenders and that they have a funny rivalry with Jessica Jones in her 2nd season.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Some of you guys are being unnecessarily harsh on this/these shows. I mean comparing this show to Arrow and saying Arrow comes out on top? Crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
He was also a pretty bad actor. Danny not having a clear goal is part of his character as cliche as that is.