Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Matt and Elektra's on-screen chemistry is pretty drat good. I feel like this can only end poorly though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So just... not really spoilers but general discussion. How do folks like Daredevil and The Punisher stack up against legitimate super powered people like Jessica Jones or Luke Cage? It seems like they're on a whole separate level in terms of ability.
I get that they're supposed to be distinct stories and all but if Luke Cage had half a mind to it seems like he could snap them both in half.

Also Jon Bernthal is turning in a solid performance this season but it seems like he's going to be stuck as "damaged survior-man" if he doesn't start branching out.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Some thoughts on the e3 staircase fight. No story spoilers, just comments on how it was done.

There seems to be a pretty clear drop in camera frame rate at the start of the fight. I think this was done to make it easier/cheaper to manage the visual FX. There was some noticeable CG used for the stunts, but it was pretty well done. There were also a LOT of cuts, but again, they were very well blended together. Even though I was explicitly looking for camera tricks and finding them, I found myself admiring how they put it all together. I found the fight choreography from the s1 e2 hallway more impressive, but I still enjoyed what they put together here.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

There was definitely a distracting amount of cuts in the staircase fight but it was epic anyways

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I just realized D.A. Reyes was detective Jeffries from the first season of SVU.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

So just... not really spoilers but general discussion. How do folks like Daredevil and The Punisher stack up against legitimate super powered people like Jessica Jones or Luke Cage? It seems like they're on a whole separate level in terms of ability.
I get that they're supposed to be distinct stories and all but if Luke Cage had half a mind to it seems like he could snap them both in half.

I feel like that's how it's supposed to be and I like it.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 19, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I took a break from watching after episode 6 to watch my Street Fighter ESPORTS. I don't read Daredevil comics... how accurate is the portrayal of Eletrka? I like how batshit psycho she is. Is she like that in the comics?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Gaunab posted:

I knew that right away but I've watched a stupid amount of svu

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Axel Serenity posted:

Ep 4:

Frank's monologue is one of the most heartbreaking things on tv. Jesus. But man Joe Bernthal is nailing it

Nthing the gently caress out of this, it was absolutely wonderful, though that doesn't exactly feel like the right word to use exactly. That pain, man. Familiarity with the character means you kind of forget that he wasn't always a dead-eyed, inhuman husk thinking only of his next kill and Bernthal killed it showing us that last devastated speck of humanity buried within. Matt just sitting down next to him and shutting the gently caress up...it was a surprisingly beautiful moment.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Gaunab posted:

I feel like that's how it's supposed to be and I like it.
Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy the contrast. Makes them all seem like second-rate Batmen and it makes each small victory seem to come at the expense of grievous injury.
It reminds me a lot of playing through Arkham Asylum and watching the bat suit get torn up as the night goes on.
It's a different type of tension and drama you'd have than if they were really super heroes.

Not having been much a Daredevil fan before this show, I guess I always assumed he had something more going for him than the power to "see" and being a very fit human, but it's interesting to see those types of folks deal with the street level dudes.
They certainly wouldn't fit in the film universe without a hefty dose of power-suits for the lot of them.

e: In contrast Luke and Jessica probably could throw down with the high-level guys but they just don't give enough of a gently caress to do so.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Man oh man I really hope we get Gorgon in season 3.

Gorgon's already taken by Agents of Shield, unfortunately - and he's not (currently?) a ninja, so, yeah. Unless Hydra starts making buddy buddy with the Hand it's probably not happening.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Not having been much a Daredevil fan before this show, I guess I always assumed he had something more going for him than the power to "see" and being a very fit human, but it's interesting to see those types of folks deal with the street level dudes.
They certainly wouldn't fit in the film universe without a hefty dose of power-suits for the lot of them.

Somewhat on this topic, how does the Punisher stack up against Daredevil in hand to hand fights? Only just finished episode 2, but it's seemed that both times they've fought (both rooftop fights, not talking about the 'fight' after they drop through the skylight) the Punisher has had the upper hand, even without firearms being involved. Which feels odd, and is throwing me off a bit.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

teagone posted:

I took a break from watching after episode 6 to watch my Street Fighter ESPORTS. I don't read Daredevil comics... how accurate is the portrayal of Eletrka? I like how batshit psycho she is. Is she like that in the comics?
Very general character comments up to around ep 10:
She's a little more bubbly and cheery than I expected. In the comics she's mostly more dour silent Dragon Lady...heck, she contributed to the development of that archetype a lot herself.

I like this quite a lot more, though. And we are getting to see more of the pathos in some of the later eps.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
2x04
Oh you poor dumb bastards. You stole the Punisher's dog.

Frank is great, but Foggy has been stealing the show for me. Haven't cared much for Matt or Karen yet this season, but I'd watch a Law & Order spinoff in Hell's Kitchen that also features the Punisher and occasional ninjas.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Episode 5

Karen was greatly improved but
Elektra was awesome and has so much better chemistry with Matt. I really hope Elektra and Matt end up happily ever after in surburbia but it's easy to see how everything goes wrong and why they amplify the crazy and the darkness in each other.

Also Jon Bernthal is turning in a solid performance this season but it seems like he's going to be stuck as "damaged survior-man" if he doesn't start branching out.

I think it's a pretty good fit.

I can see someone like Punisher or DD use their equipment, planning and the environment to cripple or trap a powered character from Netflix or Agents of Shield. Jessica bleeds and Luke Cage isn't invincible. I think urban fight scenes in the Defenders would work pretty well.

That said they'd be kind of hosed going against the super powered guys in the movies unless they had some kind of super tech or magical device.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Why does the DA look familar? IMDB says she was in Jessica Jones but I have no recollection of that whatsoever.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Coldforge posted:

Somewhat on this topic, how does the Punisher stack up against Daredevil in hand to hand fights? Only just finished episode 2, but it's seemed that both times they've fought (both rooftop fights, not talking about the 'fight' after they drop through the skylight) the Punisher has had the upper hand, even without firearms being involved. Which feels odd, and is throwing me off a bit.

If I remember the first episode correctly, Daredevil was the better fighter but it becomes clearer in future episodes that the punisher can take a lot of uh, punishment.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Gaunab posted:

If I remember the first episode correctly, Daredevil was the better fighter but it becomes clearer in future episodes that the punisher can take a lot of uh, punishment.

Not at all, Punisher knocks him down and almost out right away in the first episode.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

Why does the DA look familar? IMDB says she was in Jessica Jones but I have no recollection of that whatsoever.

Gaunab posted:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kegslayer posted:

I think it's a pretty good fit.

I can see someone like Punisher or DD use their equipment, planning and the environment to cripple or trap a powered character from Netflix or Agents of Shield. Jessica bleeds and Luke Cage isn't invincible. I think urban fight scenes in the Defenders would work pretty well.

That said they'd be kind of hosed going against the super powered guys in the movies unless they had some kind of super tech or magical device.

In the rather good video game, Punisher briefly gets his hands on an Iron Man suit. :getin:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Elektra is loving great in this show.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kegslayer posted:

Episode 5

Karen was greatly improved but
Elektra was awesome and has so much better chemistry with Matt. I really hope Elektra and Matt end up happily ever after in surburbia but it's easy to see how everything goes wrong and why they amplify the crazy and the darkness in each other.

I like Karen but tbf that is heavily impacted by the fact that I'm :swoon: over Deborah Ann Woll. Like, bigtime. :shobon:

1x10

Who is the actor who plays that Jacques guy who talks to Elektra in French? He looks and sounds so familiar but Wikipedia and IMDB both tell me nothing. Also, is he a major comic character, or just some guy? Oh, and they later fight. LIVEPOSTIN', woo!

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 19, 2016

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Holy poo poo I hate you all! You have the time of the world to sit and watch seven episodes in a row.

Anyway, I was able to watch episode 1 in the morning before work, and it's time to watch this thing until bed time comes. So far, so loving drat good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Holy poo poo Season 2 Episode 8 huge spoiler WILSON!!! Man I love Netflix keeps poo poo dark so you're genuinely surprised. Great to see him

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I just started episode 8 and it just made me realize how much I want a the Defenders show just so I can see Luke Cage tossing ninjas around like nothing. Hopefully while Jessica Jones sips from a bottle of whisky. Also holy poo poo, it's Clancy Brown.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Desperado Bones posted:

Holy poo poo I hate you all! You have the time of the world to sit and watch seven episodes in a row.

Anyway, I was able to watch episode 1 in the morning before work, and it's time to watch this thing until bed time comes. So far, so loving drat good.

If it helps, I've spent the last 24 hours realizing how hosed my lack of paid work situation is.

1x10

Oh, so much for Jacques! :v:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Coldforge posted:

In the comics, Daredevil is the faster, more refined fighter, and he has a huge sensory advantage. Frank, however, is also a very skilled fighter, hits like a truck, and can take a monumental beating. Not only that, but Frank is just straight up a more ruthless person. Daredevil has fought and gotten the better of the Punisher multiple times, but a large part of that is that Frank will not resort to what he's best at in that fight, and that's employing lethal force. They're a pretty even match.

Remember, in the comics canon, only three non-cosmic entities on Earth can claim a higher individual body count than the Punisher, and they're Ultron, Kermit K. Beahan, and Thomas W. Ferebee. They shouldn't count, either, because they all cheated.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gaunab posted:

I just started episode 8 and it just made me realize how much I want a the Defenders show just so I can see Luke Cage tossing ninjas around like nothing. Hopefully while Jessica Jones sips from a bottle of whisky. Also holy poo poo, it's Clancy Brown.

Maybe they will keep Jessica's fighting style of getting pushed over a lot!

Seriously, everything about Jessica Jones on a visual level was such a massive step backwards from Daredevil. Her fight scenes were laughably terrible and Matt seems more powerful than she is by virtue of the fact we actually see him do more things than just break off door knobs or leap one foot out of view.

I'm hoping that shows second season really steps it up.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Maybe they will keep Jessica's fighting style of getting pushed over a lot!

Seriously, everything about Jessica Jones on a visual level was such a massive step backwards from Daredevil. Her fight scenes were laughably terrible and Matt seems more powerful than she is by virtue of the fact we actually see him do more things than just break off door knobs or leap one foot out of view.

I'm hoping that shows second season really steps it up.

It's definitely far to say (at least with a quick wiki glance at the directors to compare) that Jessica Jones was not blessed with the same caliber of directing talent that Daredevil has. It had a "hedging our bets" level of production design, but I am hopeful now that it has proven to be wildly successful in it's own right that Marvel will throw a couple extra bucks at them for the next season.
Either way Daredevil is clearly their golden child out of this lineup so hopefully the defenders team-up uses mostly their crew, unless Luke Cage/Iron Fist come out with some amazing productions.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I think the fact that they've managed to make Jessica Jones and Daredevil such distinct different shows that comparison really isn't a good idea. Jessica Jones is a film noir and Daredevils a action thriller.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
What I really want now are Daredevil blurays. GODDAMMIT MARVEL TAKE MY MONEY

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah, the fights in JJ being glossed over brawls instead of meticulously choreographed celebrations of artistic ways to kill and maim is a stylistic choice not a failure of directing. The show would have been way weaker if they focused on making sure we think Jessica is a cool badass.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
If Netflix makes a Punisher spinoff and it's based on the MAX series then Netflix will have officially eclipsed the movies for my attention.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so i went into this completely blind and didn't realize the punisher was involved till they loving spelled it out

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
One thing I really liked is (episode 1 spoilers) they clearly set up a major reason why Punisher is problem in the hospital scene. He's firing pretty loving wildly and he's incredibly lucky no innocents got nailed. Hell he could have killed Karen who did nothing wrong as well.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

One thing I really liked is (episode 1 spoilers) they clearly set up a major reason why Punisher is problem in the hospital scene. He's firing pretty loving wildly and he's incredibly lucky no innocents got nailed. Hell he could have killed Karen who did nothing wrong as well.

He wasn't though and 2.06? spoiler for later don't read this if you don't want to know he explicitly tells Karen he could have hit her if he wanted to

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Report from episode 6.

Daredevil and Elektra are officially the best couple. All other opinions are objectively and factually wrong

Gaunab posted:

I want to see the Defenders combine the different fighting styles where Daredevil really gets into it and spins around with all these cool fancy moves while Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are just like :effort: and swing guys back and forth while bored as gently caress.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rarity posted:

2x10

That scene between Matt and Fisk was absolutely stunning. D'Onofrio is perfect :stare:

That was probably my favorite scene of the whole season.

Overall way better than the first season. Elektra and Punisher were well cast and great. Melvin still owns. Foggy is still a little bitch.

Although I'm sure it was unintentional(but still funny)Nobu getting killed and reviving a few minutes later reminded me a lot of Purple man constantly escaping from JJ.

I hope for season 3 Foggy stays hosed off or goes to JJ. No one likes you Foggy go away forever. Investigative reporter Karen can stay because her plot was good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 19, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
gently caress you, everyone loves Senor Foggy, the finest avocado.

what the hell is wrong with you?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Kegslayer posted:

Report from episode 6.

Daredevil and Elektra are officially the best couple. All other opinions are objectively and factually wrong

I want to see the Defenders combine the different fighting styles where Daredevil really gets into it and spins around with all these cool fancy moves while Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are just like :effort: and swing guys back and forth while bored as gently caress.

Pretty much. The action in both shows are two different beast. Daredevil is trying to sell one trained man fighting against people using his skills and abilities. Jessica Jones is someone with superhuman strength who doesn't want to fight; basically like an adult fighting a toddler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Anyone that doesn't like Foggy is a horrible human being.