Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lid posted:

How did Finn Jones get cast

They wanted to bank on Game of Thrones star power, even though I don't think his GOT character has ever done anything other than be gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

HIJK posted:

My favorite part of the Defenders was when they sent the cameras swinging 360 degrees around each actor, in every episode, just like the way a film school student would do it

Oh man, I loving hated that and they did it so much. The EP for the series must have a hard on for that poo poo.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Only two episodes in but it seems like we're hardly spending any time in Manhattan except maybe the office/Homeland/Dana's scenes. These diners and other places being shown seem more Queens or Staten Island than the other boroughs.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, like what the heck is Runaways even?

Kids have super powers, parents are part of some type of cult.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Blade Runner posted:

I think his competence was really extreme, but also fit his character in a lot of ways. Remember, he was good at being a soldier, which is why he so easily built his identity around it; he was decently smart, creative, not an idiot fuckup who had washed out of everything. That's why it's a tragedy. Not to mention, it goes along with a major theme of this season: America is excellent at making soldiers. Where they stumble is actually taking care of them. Making him a lazy idiot type of person or even just of average competence would've defeated a lot of the purpose, in my eyes, because Lewis being this terrifying person thrown back from the meat grinder and unable to do anything due to his mental issues, despite being competent and driven, is what his whole subplot was about.

Yeah, making Lewis competent enough to home make bombs, physically defeat others, hold off several dozen cops/Anvils and hold hostages...these aren't like ideal expressions of strategy, but it shows he has a working mind and if treated for his mental illness, that drive and his intelligence could be channeled into something productive. Instead, he's essentially left to languish and he latches onto the first "mission" he's offered, and he just goes further down the rabbit hole from there.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah buy given that 80% of the Avengers have military background I figured he could probably fight right in, but yeah, he's headshot the first dude and everyone would be like "drat" and he'd be like "You threw him off a building, Cap, he is definitely paralyzed, at least Im humane"

Punisher has a bunch of What If...? comics where he does work with SHIELD or become a SHIELD agent. At times, he has even worked for them for one reason or another. But even in a CIA-black ops squad like SHIELD, it usually is portrayed that Castle isn't a team player, he plays by his own rules, and answers to no one. Someone who doesn't respect the chain of command (IE Fury) and can't be controlled is hard to fit into SHIELD.

As for Avengers, outside of the in-universe explanation, outside of the universe you have to remember that Iron Man 1 was largely a gamble by Marvel Studios and they just kind of hoped to make a profit. When it was a huge hit, they started world building with Thor, Iron Man, Captain America and Hulk movies leading into the Avengers. These characters, besides Hulk, all had little public notoriety to the general, non comic book reading audience. Punisher, despite having several movies, video games, etc... probably had even less public perception. And I think it speaks volumes that later MCU movies have more of a message than the original ones as they play it very safe in order to capture the magic of IM1.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'm also confused by Luke cage and Jessica's powers because sometimes they do really strong stuff and then other times the throw huge punches that get blocked easily by a ninja or stagger from seemingly normal kicks.

Luke and Jessica are both super strong though JJ and Luke have both referenced that they don't know the true strengths of their powers.

Their solo series were usually better portraying it but not full proof.

Worth noting that Luke and Jessica are brawlers and don't have any real formal training as fighters so that sometimes can lead to them getting briefly overpowered by a non-powered foe.

A no-prize also may be that Luke and Jessica pull their punches.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

DD S2: Watch the first four episodes or so. Google "Punisher jail fight scene".

Honestly the later half isn't THAT bad but Frank's plot basically has him dicking around for like 5 or so episodes because it really doesn't know what to do with him.

Iron Fist: The show improves from absolutely awful to aggressively mediocre. Danny is the worst part of the show. It is not worth watching.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

In between seasons, Frank Castle and Danny Rand became the best of friends.

I'd be fine with Punisher S2 starting showing the dead, cold body of Danny Rand.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Galvanik posted:

I stopped watching DD season one about halfway through. I don't recall exactly why, but probably just because it wasn't grabbing my interest.

Yet everyone raves about it. I'm curious, what about that show was so great for you all?

PS: I did watch all of DD2 :downs:

DDs1 is just a very tight, well written show with great action/fight scenes. While most Netflix series drag on, it just stumbled a little bit in the final episode (yeah, the suit at the end of the season is not great). And it set the tone that for the Netflix MCU, the villains are just as much part of the story as the heroes.

Also I long for the days when Madame Gao was a distinct force and with her own organization rather than being a double secret Hand splinter.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The show also addresses the "they gonna take our guns! and liberty!" by the veterans therapy group collectively groaning and brushing that guy off.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I didn’t watch Iron Fist but if you can point to anyone in Defenders who does a worse job acting than Finn I’d love to see your example.

To be fair, the showrunner for Defenders was one half of the showrunners for DDS2 which had its own set of problems.

Finn Jones still needs to take acting classes. But everything wrong with Iron Fist in his own series and in Defenders, that's still pretty low on the list of things wrong with Iron Fist the character and Iron Fist the series.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

I couldn't get into the Defenders because it's a show full of fights where the fight choreography just isn't very good.

The hallway fight scene is okay. And Luke V Danny is...okay too, I guess. Besides that, the fighting and lighting are all really bad. The opening fight in the first episode was laughably bad.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Slashrat posted:

Weren't they setting up Claire Temple to be White Tiger in Iron Fist?

I think Jessica name-dropped one of the civilian identities of the White Tiger in her series.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

That and Creel shows up in AOS, while he is mentioned in DD

The biker gang Foggy goes to in season 2 was first seen in season 1 of AOS.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

While Danny is a huge issue in Defenders, he isn't the only issue. Fight choreography, pacing, dialogue are all really bad.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The season has been okay to good so far, but episode 7 is really, really dragging for me.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Holy crap, I really don't care about Jessica's mother. I'm on episode 8 and all I can think of is how Agents of Shield did the Sky-Daisy parent storyline than Jessica's origin/family.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

AbstractNapper posted:

Iron Fist is what broke me upon rewatch. I reached episode 3 - I think- and decided that I just can't do it.

The first two episodes are some of the worst television I have ever watched. and then the show goes from absolute garbage to aggressively mediocre, and then gets to "kind of good" near the end, and then ends with a wet fart by ripping off the ending of Iron Man 1, complete with a rooftop battle against a father figure.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

These Netflix-verse shows do have a bad track record when it comes to black men* (and a nearly non-existent record when it comes to black women*). DDS1 and JJS1 both had an older, black male character who was killed off basically to show how evil a villain was, and both of those characters were replaced by a white character in DDS2 and JJS2. I haven't finished JJs2 yet, but their treatment of Malcom is pretty loving bad.

*Unless you are or are featured in Luke Cage.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

It just dawned on me that JJ S1 was November of 2015. It really took two years to give us that lackluster second season?

I think I read somewhere that it has been shot for a while but had to wait for Iron Fist and Defenders to role out first.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So I watched JJS2 a weird way. Watched up to episode 11. Then the girlfriend started watching S1 and we watched the entire series together over the past couple weeks.

My god, the second season actually got worse as it went on.

Hogarth's storyline is great. I'm cool with how Malcomb ended up. But Trish, Alisa, Dr. Deadhead, IGH...it is all such an incoherent mess.

The lack of a stable plot that weaves all the stories together just really makes this show about a bunch of broken people and their broken lives, and I don't know if that works in a medium that really benefits from serialized storytelling.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I recently re-watched S1 with my girlfriend and Madani just gets the short end of the stick time and time again.

She's outsmarted or outgamed by all the people at Homeland/feds. Her op where Billy is in the factory goes wrong and she is pretty much the only survivor. Her partner in Afghanistan is killed. And in the final scene where she goes to capture Billy, she unceremoniously gets shot in the head.

For a show that was very aware of the Punisher and his place in comics and the world's overall culture (IE police) and deliberate steps it took to take Frank away from that, this show handled Madani really badly. I know all the cop/law enforcement characters in Marvel Netflix get killed or whatever, but it just really bugged me that an assertive and smart character seems to constantly be getting beat down in this show.

Did S2 do anything to do better in that regard?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Disney will just do what they've always done, stick it under a different banner that doesn't have the Official Disney Logo on it. Pulp Fiction was distributed by Miramax, which was owned at the time by Disney.

That said there's probably a number of stupid contract poo poo that prevents the current actors from appearing in subsequent shows, at least for a few years. And let's be honest, none of these shows were likely a huge ratings success. I don't think Disney/Marvel will jump through hoops for these shows.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Ugh. JJs3 Ep 10 (or was it 9) has some AWFUL dialogue and more than a bit of over-acting. Which is weird because the actors in the show usually don't do that. Toss it up to an episode's director or whatever.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Isn't Hellcat a supernatural character in the comics? Or at least has some kind of Force like connection to the supernatural?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Oh man, Season 3 wasn't good. I don't know if it was bad but it wasn't good.

I hate how characters come onto the show and talk about the arcs we all hate (Diamondback, Jess' Mom) and act as if we saw some great, amazing storyline. I hate how we're constantly told about The Raft but don't see it. I really hated the ending. I hated how almost all of the characters ended up except Jerry. I felt overall, she had the best character arc from 1 to 3.

So long, Netflix-MCU-ish-verse. I don't know if I'll miss you, or ever really watch every season since I quit on Punisher Season 2 like two episodes in.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I don't even remember anything from Punisher S2E1.

I think I got about halfway into E2 before spacing out.

And I loving loved season 1.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

The ninjas are really cool in the comics though. All the award-winning Daredevil stuff Miller wrote was about ninjas.

It may have been this thread or the BSS TV thread but someone posted every single panel/page the Hand actually shows up in Miller's run and it is something like 6 pages or something ridiculously short like that. I was surprised at how little he wrote about the organization and all. It probably wasn't a good idea to make them central to the plot of 3 seasons of television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

At first I thought each first season having a corrupt cop was like some plot thread they were trying to plant throughout but nope, Iron Fist had cops as Super Good guys and I don't think we had a Bad Cop ever again after that.