Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nobody lives forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrAristocrates posted:

In before Toxx comes in to ruin this thread again

Whoa.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just as long as it ain't Kitchen Irish, although they already shot the guys face off so he's ready for that one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Which is why the simplicity of the Hand plot didn't bother me because it felt like just a setting for the bigger stuff DD was dealing with as he struggled with his "vigilante vs person" dilemma, and trying to keep his father figure and his quasi "soul mate" from killing each other and wrestling with all the moral stuff Frank, Elektra, and Stick were throwing at him while Foggy and Karen were piling on. The Hand were just there to push DD to his physical limits while he dealt with all this stuff and push him into tough places with all these people he cares for.

Yeah, I agree completely. I think a lot of the problems arise when you try to compare them 1:1 to other villains, or even Fisk. Fisk was the conflict in season one, the conflict in season 2 part 2 isn't "fighting ninjas" it's dealing with internal poo poo and Elektra.

The ninjas were more of an implacable force to be overcome rather than a complex villain. That function was fulfilled by Elektra.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think we can all agree at least the music will be on point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Official Punisher trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIY6zFL95hE

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JBP posted:

Luke Cage is the absolute poo poo in spite of Diamondback. The Method Man scenes are gold.

Part of the problem is that the first half is so good, and Mahershala Ali is such a better villain than Diamond Back, so it suffers with the comparison.

The Hail to the Chief scene is up there with anything in the MCU.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The worst part is that Erik LaRay Harvey is, in my opinion, really drat good as Diamondback, it's just that the character is written all over the place. They can't decide if he's a cold and calculating crimelord who's the ruthless puppet-master behind Cottonmouth, of if he's a crazy rear end in a top hat bent on revenge against Luke at any cost. So he ends up seeming like he's really bad at both.

Yeah I loved his role in Boardwalk Empire, he was really menacing and intimidating, so I was very disappointed with the role they gave him. That whole back half is just a mess, I actually never finished it. The last scene I watched was Misty and that semi-corrupt lieutenant having this weird conversation in the back of an ambulance I couldn't follow and I was like, nah. It's like once they started to go full comicbook it went off the rails. I'm not a stickler for scientific accuracy in comics by any means, but everything that happened in the barn was just too much.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Most of his criticism seems to revolve around the fact that it reminds him that gun violence exists, which is a stupid loving angle.

quote:

The Punisher is most effective when its title character is indiscriminately slaughtering his foes, but that’s also when it most consistently evokes the kinds of real-life horrors that pushed the premiere back once, and could have kept pushing it back indefinitely. There may hopefully be a time when Frank’s actions don’t instantly recall horrors from our world, but that version of his story will still need to be told much more compellingly than this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just getting started but interesting factoid: This is the second time that Amber Rose Revah and Shohreh Aghdashloo have played mother and daughter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Disappointed to find that 3AM is a one-off and all the episode titles aren't Matchbox 20 songs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you’re an NYPD detective, I recommend hanging out by the waterfront, where on any given day you can catch about a dozen shady deals going down.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't just use random neti pots you find in basements folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just finished the first episode and I think that was probably Charlie's best acting performance of the series so far. A definite change in the feel of the character.

Oh is the Karen/Matt conversation that happens in flashback new or from last season?

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 19, 2018