Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I can't handle all this negative buzz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

If these shows are huge successes and we get Punisher, Blade and Ghost Rider I would be very happy.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2015/04/03/review-daredevil-is-one-of-marvels-greatest-achievements/

Another glowing review. Why isn't it the 10th yet?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Rarity posted:

Matt Murdock is a lawyer, one of the best paid professions in America

:lol:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3301274

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 9, 2015

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Costume looks wonky because it's CGI , but hopefully the horns are more pronounced.

UGH, what time is it starting in Central Standard Time, I don't understand this crazy poo poo.

Okay so 10pm. GREAT!!! I only need 6 hours of sleep so I can watch the first episode and go to bed.

I thought it was 12am PST, so 3am EST and 2am CST.

Or do I have my times off?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

tasslex posted:

Thanks for taking a half an hour of my life away, I clicked this and ended up reading almost the entire first page. Holy poo poo why would anyone ever become a lawyer.

You get sucked in by sexy Sam Waterston and Ally McBeal. Plus the mindset of people like rarity who still believe that the profession is one of the best paying in the country, which is only dispelled if you do the research first which a shockingly low amount of people do before making the huge investment.

Matt Murdock (and me) is a sucker is what I'm saying.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

dj_clawson posted:

Same. Shivering and eyes are burning from a fever, should have been in bed hours ago, and now I'm watching Fisk trying to woo a woman on her front steps and it's heartbreaking.

It is a little hard to take some of this seriously, as I live in Manhattan. I'm watching with my roommate. I've been through the whole Daredevil comics series and she's never read one, and we had to suspend disbelief about the condition of Hell's Kitchen, or that criminals would be so interested in it and there would never, ever be police around. 9/11 happened, writer dudes. Yeah this poo poo goes down, but it doesn't happen so close to Midtown or the Financial District. Also there's CCTV everywhere! The real money's to be made selling real estate to Chinese billionaires seeking to hide their money outside their country, and those negotiations don't happen where the apartments are.

I just had to keep explaining to my roommate: "Um, this was written in the 60's. So, yeah, people made money on the low time boxing circuit, two broke lawyers would totally open their own practice, and that was magic radioactive toxic waste he was splattered with, because Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and blah blah blah. But hey, it's way better than all the lovely Marvel shows you watch on Hulu."

Also, Matt can TOTALLY see. Those contacts are not good enough.

Cool. I live in Hell's Kitchen and I didn't give a poo poo because it is a television show.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Rurutia posted:

?? Pretty sure she is Chinese in the show.

She specifically isn't. 1x13 spoiler - She tells Owlsley that she's going home. He says, "to China?" She says "somewhere much further away than that."

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Robutt posted:

1x11
No. Karen shot him 5 or 6 times in the chest. She straight up murdered him (with excess) when she could have wounded him or walked out with a gun pointed at him. She sucks and I hate her. Wesley was the best. :qq:

1x11

She murdered him after he said they would kill everyone she has ever talked to, and then kill her. But sure, let's wound him or walk out with the gun pointed at him. I'm sure he'll head back to Fisk and tell him no worries, nothing happened, move along.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Robutt posted:

1x11

Bah, I guess I'm just upset about Wesley - looking back at the whole series I do think he was my favourite character. I'm just confused how Karen can be seen as justified or likeable after the brutality of Wesley's murder. I accept that she felt she had no choice in killing him, but emptying his gun into his chest? Not cool, Karen.

1x11

It's true, that was brutal. Fisk and Wesley would never do anything like that to people, thank god.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Drifter posted:

Jessica Jones' show comes next, and then Luke Cage? or will Luke's show come first?

AKA Jessica Jones first, it's filming right now. Luke Cage after that, then Iron Fist.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

This is probably going to sound stupid, but when I started watching this show I knew it was going to be good the first time I saw the opening credits. Goddamn I love those.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I think the conversation with Potter when he gave him the suit was kind of funny " Make me a suit out of this material , I don't like getting cut with blades" , " I made this suit uh some of it's bullet proof and it might stop a blade".

Like what was the point of that.

Right before he said that he said "I didn't have a lot of time so its not really finished, the black parts are bullet proof and the red parts can stop a knife maybe." I also assumed that in being bulletproof the black parts would also stop a blade as well. Just a time constraint basically.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Drifter posted:

Yes, how lovely, look it's a man in a suit.

A purple suit :science:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I think my favorite moment of the series was Claire Temple's maniacal laugh when Daredevil showed up to the cab stand.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Valeyard posted:

I didn't stab him, he just ran into my sword!

Yeah ok.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

tsob posted:

Fisk isn't, not any older than Karen at least

Fisk is in his 50s isn't he?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Sorvah posted:

If he's passed the bar in America they definitely have his fingerprints on file...but it didn't even occur anyone. Like everyone must have assumed 'this highly trained violent vigilante can't have had any criminal past, no point in checking.'

Passing and becoming a member of the bar in NY does not require you to get fingerprinted. At least not when I did it.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 15, 2015

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Blackchamber posted:

Will we ever come to a point where a super hero movie/show can be done realistically/gritty without saying they are just ripping off Nolan?

Sorry if police are involved it just takes me right out of it. Can barely focus its so Nolan.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Have we been watching the same Marvel stuff? From Loki to Ronan to Red Skull all of the villains have been megalomaniac whiners. And that's fine when you command armies and do magic and all that. Kingpin is street level, he is cold, he's calculating, he's not some lovestruck half-baby who flips out in autistic rage.

Kingpin wasn't in this show until D'Onofrio's last two scenes.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

McNerd posted:

Yeah, it's kind of crazy that that puts him into a tier with actual superheroes though.

Then again, Daredevil seems to be on a pretty low tier himself; he gets tazed by old men, and occasionally has a pretty hard time even one-on-one against random hoodlums. Comics folks: is he always like this? Do you think he's up for some sort of powerup in the near future, or is he just going to keep biting off more than he can chew forever? It was cool for this one season where he got really invested in this war with Fisk but it could start to get silly after a while.

:what:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Remember when he beat up a hallway full of Russian toughs.

While he had a just-sewn-up knife wound.

Daredevil is a straight bad rear end, why does he need to be "powered up." The whole point of the character is that he has these super senses and martial arts training, but he's not Thor. Taking punishment is like his core characteristic.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Someone made this point in the BSS TV thread, but for 90% of the fights in this show Daredevil is already beat up, pulling out stitches, etc. He's almost never fighting at full strength.

The first time he fights Fisk he just went mano a mano with Nobu and was basically near death. He still hadn't recovered from that the final time he fought him in the finale. Hell even in the hallway fight scene Daredevil is severely hurt and was just recently stitched up by Claire.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Stumpus posted:

Instead, I have to sit with the knowledge that they'll keep bringing him out and having him do things ineffectually.

Well, we don't know that given that the showrunner has already indicated what he would like to cover in season 2 and it isn't Kingpin again.

Also, if they do bring him back out the entire point of this first season, for Fisk, is that he will not be ineffective anymore. He knows who and what he is now, and is ready to actually be the Kingpin.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

He was lying(?) though.

He thought he was lying, but he wasn't. Was this not made clear throughout the whole drat series? His struggle with the devil inside?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Kazy posted:

How did Matt not kill Nobu? How can you look at that and say that he hasn't killed anyone?

Murder is not the same as kill. Matt deflected a metal blade that was aiming to kill him, inadvertently lighting Nobu on fire. If you can't see the difference, I dunno.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Purple Man doesn't rape Jessica Jones.

I only know of the comic secondhand, but doesn't he make her watch as he rapes/sexually assaults other women though?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

Nobu's death kind of bugged me because he never even considered "does this count as me killing someone?" at all. Maybe it does or doesn't, but he acted liked nothing happened. Think about killing Fisk? Gotta confess. Burn a ninja dude down? Eh whatever I got other poo poo to do. And everyone else was ignoring it completely or making jokes pretty much. Also because he was a rad loving ninja and that's a sad thing to lose (of course, more ninjas will show up later I'm sure). Minor, but did bug me a little.

Also I imagine he could do more good doing what they WERE doing on Arrow where he'd go all Robin Hood and make the evil rich people donate their money to the poor and stuff. Beat the poo poo out of them until they'll do anything you say, tell them to give away all their money, thus helping the poor people of the city and also removing one of the evil person's sources of power / their only source of power.

Green Arrow literally had a list of evil rich people to go after. Matt didn't even know Fisk's name until 3-4 episodes in.

Gaz-L posted:

By a very, very technical margin. He certainly abuses her in a sexual context in the comics.

And beg him to do the same to her, yes.

I guess it could be done, but you'd have to do it really well.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Xealot posted:

You have just explained everything about Spartacus: Blood & Sand.

Jessica Jones chat: I agree with whoever said she'll probably be an Agents of SHIELD power-set character, like Mockingbird or Melinda May. It wouldn't make sense for a Supergirl-esque character to exist in the MCU, but also somehow nobody has ever heard of her. Re-conceiving her as a Black Widow-like figure is way more feasible.

And would fit with the stakes established in Daredevil; Matt Murdock is "powered," but not dramatically. He's still mostly dealing with mooks and they're still providing a challenge.

I don't think anyone said that. They said she could be mind controlled and forced to fight Agents of Shield people, rather than fight the Avengers who are not going to appear in the show. I think it will probably be neither of those options and they will just refer to her getting her rear end kicked by the Avengers. Or its just dropped completely and they roll only with the sexual assault angle.

Also, why does this show have to fit the stakes of Daredevil? You can also easily write a scenario where people don't know about her powers. For instance, she gets her powers, tries to start superheroing and the first bad guy she encounters is Purple Man, and she's done.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 21, 2015

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Xealot posted:

Yeah, that's what I was reiterating: it seems more realistic to me that she'd be an Agents of SHIELD-level figure than an Avengers-level one. Someone like Black Widow or Mockingbird would be a challenge for the former and an absolute joke for the latter; I'm talking about the character's possible power-set and limitations.

They obviously could make her as arbitrarily powerful as they want, but isn't the idea for all the Defenders characters to be smaller and lower-stakes? Kind of hard to do if one of them is effectively Superman.

Oh ok I didn't understand what you were saying.

Also I don't think that's the idea for the Defenders, unless they are going to limit every single one of them other than Daredevil. They didn't limit Thor because of Black Widow, I see no indication that they will do so here.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Modus Operandi posted:

The sudden and violent non trope deaths in DD is what sets it apart from other Marvel universe shows.

Does anyone else want to punch their monitor whenever someone posts the word trope at this point?

Normal deaths are tropes, avoiding normal deaths with abnormal ones are tropes. Normal plotlines are tropes, and doing something to avoid a normal plotline is a trope.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

etalian posted:

Nope in a previous episode Fisk's mom in one of few lucid moments remembers getting visitors such as pretty blonde woman.

To Wesley. Not to Fisk. He finds out from his source at the newspaper that Urich wrote an article about him killing his dad, with the primary source as his mother.

If his mom told him about the "pretty blonde woman" he would have known there was someone else there seeing his mom other than Urich.

People legit can't watch TV shows.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm guessing no Owl since he got thrown through a lift door.

He had a son named Leland Owlsley Jr.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

If they cast a Chinese person people will be complaining they turned him into a racial stereotype.

Oh its a lose/lose for Marvel and the complaints when they announce the casting are going to be loud.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

edit: also this show is amazing and if it doesn't get a second season, and just gets absorbed into the MCU I'll be bummed.

A second season has already been announced.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

There's a third guy called Name but he's pretty bad at fighting and not very strong.

:negative:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Snak posted:

Foggy is cringeworthy.

Not really.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

seniorservice posted:

I get that the character is supposed to accomplish that role of the awkward but funny friend who the audience finds endearing but gets poo poo on in the show. My point is that the show is unsuccessful at creating this dynamic and it is partly due to the actor and partly due to the writing (I personally think the actor is more to blame). Some of that is a lot of what he says just comes off as forced and corny and not funny i.e the writing. Not only that, but Foggy doesn't seem to have a problem getting the girl anyway. Karen flirts back with him constantly, and his hot ex-girlfriend at his old law firm is constantly trying to gently caress him, which I think is kind of inconsistent with what his character is supposed to be (again, this is inconsistent/sloppy writing). I think a better actor might be able to pull it off, but for me, the dynamic they're trying to establish between Foggy, Matt, and Karen doesn't quite work.

I like how you project an archetype for the type of character you think Foggy is supposed to be, and then complain when Foggy doesn't fit exactly in your own made up archetype and call it bad writing. Good stuff.

Foggy is just a normal, caring person. Sometimes he makes funny jokes. Sometimes he says corny things. There are women in the world that like him. There are women that ask him to feel their face, devastating him.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

seniorservice posted:

Agree to disagree. Stuff like "Avocados at law!" is so cringy to me that it's tempting to fast forward through it.

Ok now I understand where you are coming from.

That's not cringy, its sweet and funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Bleeding Cool is reporting that Ryan Phillipe is in talks with Marvel for "something on Netflix."

Unrelated, Phillipe has a black belt in taekwondo irl.

drat, I didn't know he was 40.