Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nessus posted:

Oh so it's more like the thing on the top is something you dunk into the glue to gather some up, then wipe it on the bits before pressing them together? Not like a dribble tube?

You hold the bits together and drag the brush along them and the glue flows into the gap and welds the pieces together into a single one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lostconfused posted:

You hold the bits together and drag the brush along them and the glue flows into the gap and welds the pieces together into a single one.
If I fuse the nun to my misshapen digits I will blame myself or god

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

Oh so it's more like the thing on the top is something you dunk into the glue to gather some up, then wipe it on the bits before pressing them together? Not like a dribble tube?
Did your metal applicator get stuck inside the lid instead of attached to the actual bottle like mine? I can see how that would make the use confusing.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nessus posted:

If I fuse the nun to my misshapen digits I will blame myself or god

It's not super glue, you'll just leave some finger prints indented into the plastic.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

hoiyes posted:

Did your metal applicator get stuck inside the lid instead of attached to the actual bottle like mine? I can see how that would make the use confusing.
I have not even opened it, the shape was just terrifying me in its alien design. Am I lifting the thing with the metal wire out to brush on glue, or is it like I'd be squeezing down the metal wire to drip it into the cracks?

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

The metal wire is actually hollow, in theory the glue comes out if you squeeze it but it is a rather terrible design.

As for paint kits I've found I just don't end up using all the colors in preselected packs. However, If you buy online from monument hobbies you do get a discount for buying 8 or more paints. So you can build your own starter kit with only paints you actually want.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Nessus posted:

I have not even opened it, the shape was just terrifying me in its alien design. Am I lifting the thing with the metal wire out to brush on glue, or is it like I'd be squeezing down the metal wire to drip it into the cracks?

It's a tube.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
It's a tube, and in my experience it clogs up the whole loving time. When it does, run a flame along the metal, the dried glue burns off with a lovely plume of black smoke, and the tube usually starts flowing again.

After a few months, chuck it in the bin and get a normal bottle of plastic glue (like Tamiya) that comes with a brush applicator. Or don't chuck it in the bin, transfer the glue into a normal bottle with a brush applicator.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Oh boy! I bet I shouldn't breathe THAT stuff!

Beffer posted:

It's a tube, and in my experience it clogs up the whole loving time. When it does, run a flame along the metal, the dried glue burns off with a lovely plume of black smoke, and the tube usually starts flowing again.

After a few months, chuck it in the bin and get a normal bottle of plastic glue (like Tamiya) that comes with a brush applicator. Or don't chuck it in the bin, transfer the glue into a normal bottle with a brush applicator.
Sounds like a plan!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Don't put the bottle directly up to your nose and mouth and inhale as hard as you can, but trace exposure is fine. It melts plastic, not human parts.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i finally painted one of my Mymourn Banshees that i got several months ago

i tried dry brushing a gold face under her ghost sheet and I think it came out very good!!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Funzo posted:

I would recommend the Pro Acryl base set but it is both $100 and out of stock anyway. At least right from Monument hobbies it is.

I got mine a week ago now with the first expansion set and :vince: it's outrageously good. My wife even felt motivated to join me and paint a few minis, she's a perfectionist crafty lady and finds mini's frustrating to paint but all the colours and the ease of application had her go through three mini's by the time we called it quits.

10/10 wife approval factor ftw

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

anyway link to stuff if you think it should go in the new OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGag8Qllgnw

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

oh hell yeah

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I ordered about seventy bucks worth of paint off of Monument so hopefully it will be good stuff!! It's not gonna get here til March anyway, Oh Well.

Gives me time to assemble the girls! Behold!

Inefficiency itself and with several notable gaps that I'll either have to work around or just accept, but the first miniature I've assembled since the first Obama administration. Thanks, goons! I didn't need that money anyway!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Beffer posted:

needle applicators are rad, I will not hear anything against my sweet angel Revell Contacta Professional :colbert:

you do need to run a flame over the applicator every now and then though, it's true

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 22, 2024

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Nessus posted:

Oh gently caress I totally misunderstood what you were asking, I'm sorry

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Before I just mix shades, what are some good paints for a dark->light red transition? I've got Citadel Wazdakka Red, and Vallejo Orange Red, but I feel like I need a standard red between those two, and maybe a darker red below Wazdakka.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Put two big blobs on your wet palette.

Take a blob of your dark red and put it on an empty spot. Take an amount about half that blob from your lighter red to make a 2:1 mix.

Repeat for 1:1 and 1:2 dark:light mixes. You now have 5 shades starting at dark red and ending at light red. See if that is good enough for your purposes.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Eej posted:

Put two big blobs on your wet palette.

Take a blob of your dark red and put it on an empty spot. Take an amount about half that blob from your lighter red to make a 2:1 mix.

Repeat for 1:1 and 1:2 dark:light mixes. You now have 5 shades starting at dark red and ending at light red. See if that is good enough for your purposes.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Before I just mix shades

cmon man actually read my post

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Before I just mix shades, what are some good paints for a dark->light red transition? I've got Citadel Wazdakka Red, and Vallejo Orange Red, but I feel like I need a standard red between those two, and maybe a darker red below Wazdakka.

Mephiston red is really solid mid red if you want to stay in citadel. I like evil sunz scarlet a lot too for a brighter red. Khorne red is really fun but feels a bit too purple for a pure red but would be good for shadows.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Mephiston red is so good, one of the few paints that always behaves exactly how I want, and with great coverage

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Absolutely love me some Khorne red, thins great and has excellent coverage. Has that hint of purple/burgundy that makes it such a great basecoat to build up on. All my Iron Warriors have some red accents with the following recipe:

Khorne Red -> Khorne + Evil Sunz - > Evil Sunz -> Wildrider highlight

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

Mephiston red is really solid mid red if you want to stay in citadel. I like evil sunz scarlet a lot too for a brighter red. Khorne red is really fun but feels a bit too purple for a pure red but would be good for shadows.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Mephiston red is so good, one of the few paints that always behaves exactly how I want, and with great coverage

Might go for Mephiston Red, I can probably mix a darker red but I need a good solid mid red, cheers.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I like Mephiston red and it looks bright enough on its own when placed next to darker colors.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Crosspostin' from the Old World thread.

Safety Factor posted:

Here's a quick and dirty test model for my Tzeentch scheme. Unfortunately, my lightbox died on me so the lighting isn't great. The model is a little lighter overall in person.

Overall, I'm really happy with how it turned out. It's meant to be a simpler scheme so that I can get an army on the table. For example, I did a lot of drybrushing on the cloak in place of my usual blending and it worked really well. However, I see some room for improvement:
1. I don't think the blue came out quite the way I wanted. I put two layers of airbrushed highlights over the base coat before going on to brush work and it doesn't really stand out the way I wanted. I think I need to push the highlights further. I have a darker metallic blue I could use for the recesses under my original base coat.
2. My oil shade might have been a little light. I also used black and I'm wondering if a different color might work better.
3. I like the cloak, but I think I need darker shadows to let the burgundy/maroon stand out more. I think I'll start with a little black mixed in to darken it.
4. Not happy with the horns. I tried hitting them with contrast and then diluting the tips. I've done it on previous models, but I'm not satisfied with the results. I want to avoid wet blending for the sake of speed so I'll figure something out.
5. I drybrushed the edges of the cloak with the same colors as the base and applied some pigments as well. It doesn't show as much as I'd like so I'll need to go a little heavier.

Next up, I'll be doing the other 9 warriors and a sorcerer. The sorcerer will just be along for the ride until his armor is done. Then he'll be split off as a solo project.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shoehead posted:

Oh gently caress I totally misunderstood what you were asking, I'm sorry
No problem, haha! Now that I tried it makes sense, it was just cryptic and there was literally no explanation on the cardboard for it. I actually like it way better, even if hitting it with my Martha Stewart lighter in the future seems kind of spooky.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Secrets of Tixal (OPR narrative campaign) 3 of 4 campaign character minis

I really like the pose on Teqi. Very expressive if I ever get around to painting the eyes.

I still need to do Ignatio the rear end in a top hat nerd and his mindstone detector

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone have advice for dipping your toes into inks? I'm eyeing the inktense wood and inktense chestnut bottles to help with painting all the Scales of Talaxis bridges, and I've heard good things about them. I'd probably prefer that they're not too dark so I can get some contrast with a darker brown leather for the lashings on the bridges, but I assume that comes down to thinning a bit?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

Anyone have advice for dipping your toes into inks? I'm eyeing the inktense wood and inktense chestnut bottles to help with painting all the Scales of Talaxis bridges, and I've heard good things about them. I'd probably prefer that they're not too dark so I can get some contrast with a darker brown leather for the lashings on the bridges, but I assume that comes down to thinning a bit?

Do you use an airbrush? If you do, inks are awesome. If you're brush only, inks do still have some uses and are good for DIY washes with some additives, but aren't as versatile as through an airbrush. As always, I start with a Vince Venturella tutorial or two when I have a question about anything technique or product wise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCOZjijoxcA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x01-3pTktas

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Mederlock posted:

Do you use an airbrush? If you do, inks are awesome. If you're brush only, inks do still have some uses and are good for DIY washes with some additives, but aren't as versatile as through an airbrush. As always, I start with a Vince Venturella tutorial or two when I have a question about anything technique or product wise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCOZjijoxcA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x01-3pTktas

Sadly, no airbrush.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Arcturas posted:

Anyone have advice for dipping your toes into inks?

Dilution is key- it’s astounding how intense inks are.

Start by diluting about 6 parts medium/thinner to ink and go from there.

In terms of colour, I love the scale inktensity, I have the full set- brown and chestnut are good, I also love their crimson. Super easy way to add a massive saturation hit back into reds you might have accidentally highlighted too far into orange or pink territory.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It's worth knowing ahead of time that the Scale75 inks can dry very, very glossy if you don't highly dilute them. Having some matte varnish on hand is probably a good idea.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

Crosspostin' from the Old World thread.

I'm using my spray booth since I don't have a light booth at all

Painted these guys on a weekend a couple of weeks ago, but was too lazy to take photos for the thread before.

Also I rushed through and didn't paint a bunch of details, and also heads, because again lazy.

Think I'm going to make the next batch more nurgly since I feel like I got the black and red out of my system.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

Old pewter Eldrad Ulthran I painted.

I've wanted this model since I was like twelve, so painting it was satisfying

Looks amazing!

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Hi miniature goons! Really enjoying reading through the thread and seeing everyone’s work. Painting minis has become my winter hobby and it’s really been helping me de-stress from work.

My brother gave me a thrifted copy of the Dark World (a neat Hero Quest rip-off) and I’ve been practicing on them before I try my hand at more expensive minis.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Thermos posted:

Hi miniature goons! Really enjoying reading through the thread and seeing everyone’s work. Painting minis has become my winter hobby and it’s really been helping me de-stress from work.

My brother gave me a thrifted copy of the Dark World (a neat Hero Quest rip-off) and I’ve been practicing on them before I try my hand at more expensive minis.

Nice! What miniature range are you looking to get into?

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

Thermos posted:

Hi miniature goons!

Might I suggest you try Reaper's Dark Haven series of miniatures? Very D&D and close to what you're working with now.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Bohemian Nights posted:

Nice! What miniature range are you looking to get into?

Thanks! Mostly just D&D at this point. I started DMing for my wife and her friend, we found that minis really helped us visualize combat.

I thought it was super cool when I discovered you can get minis for pretty much any race/class combo. Tried painting one, realized it looked like poo poo…aaaand suddenly our spare room has transformed into a paint studio :v:

Ez8 posted:

Might I suggest you try Reaper's Dark Haven series of miniatures? Very D&D and close to what you're working with now.

Awesome, thanks! That’s exactly what I’m looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
some 6mm stuff, some for Full Spectrum Dominance, some just for funsies

6mm infantry from lazy forger

gargoyle APC from iliada games studio

zapper snow mobile, also from iliada

gonna make some junkyard terrain. this test pile of junk is made from air drying clay with some random bits stuck into it. i got some bigger ones in progress, maybe i'll do some step by step pics