Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Nebalebadingdong posted:

zapper snow mobile, also from iliada

It obviously all looks great (you fucker), but the chrome nmm on this thing is sick, also love the shadow on the windshield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Bohemian Nights posted:

It obviously all looks great (you fucker), but the chrome nmm on this thing is sick, also love the shadow on the windshield

that's actually a windshield wiper but that's a really good idea lol

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
poo poo you're even good by accident!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hate all of it, I also especially hated the nmm that reflected the darn sky

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Can you post a tutorial for the sand bases?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Under 15 posted:

Can you post a tutorial for the sand bases?

i will definitely write one, but i have some other tutorials that have to come first. im still kinda mastering the process, want to get it down to as few steps as possible

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Finally calling her done. Learned a lot, had a ton of fun playing with pigments and very pleased with the end result. Could definitely gently caress around more with the hair and face, but I'm lazy.

I'll strongly encourage anyone interesting as painting as the hobby itself to try 75mm scale. There's so much space to gently caress around, and the bigger scale is more forgiving of dodgy brush control.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah painting a random miniature with no expectations for its own sake is the most fun I've had with them.

What are the good ones in that size? There's so many different boutique places selling those thanks to 3d printing.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah painting a random miniature with no expectations for its own sake is the most fun I've had with them.

What are the good ones in that size? There's so many different boutique places selling those thanks to 3d printing.

anything that trips your trigger, really. I'm really fond of Bite the Bullet's 50mm tortles and other anthropormophic fantasy minis, a lot of my best work's been done on them, and the Stormlight statuettes have been great to paint as well.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

As you say, there are plenty of amazing options to choose from, and it all depends on what you want. This one is from Big Child Creative. They have a load of really great human sculpts. Pegaso (Khimera) are also excellent. What's nice is that they're resin casts, so you get the sharpness and detail of resin without all of the fiddly support cleanup.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Oh, so like finecast.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I'd say with generally better production value? Haven't had issues like massive gaps or warping. The BCC sculpt fits together very well, did almost no gap filling and minimal mould line cleanup

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Pullin' your leg. :v:

It's just endlessly funny to me that the world's biggest miniatures company consistently fucks up resin casting hard, while guys have been making pristine garage kits for longer than GW's been around.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

grassy gnoll posted:

Pullin' your leg. :v:

It's just endlessly funny to me that the world's biggest miniatures company consistently fucks up resin casting hard, while guys have been making pristine garage kits for longer than GW's been around.

It's not that surprising, really; once a business gets above a certain size, they start cutting costs and taking shortcuts, because they start focusing on the short-term costs over the long-term profits.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, Forge World were always fully capable of cleaning their kits of release agent, for example. They simply chose not to because it was an added step in production that the managers didn't want to deal with.

Apparently GW resin is a lot better overall now, both compared to old FW and the hilariously poo poo Finecast.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Forge world kits are still extremely half assed with clean up.

The amount of flashing is just obnoxious, and there’s some pieces that simply need to be rethought for production. At least in the Necromunda space.

I’ll still buy their crap tho. So.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Wasn't the problem (among many) with Finecast that they were just using the existing steel molds for pewter minis to cast the resin Finecast? Which is not something you can really do.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Radiation Cow posted:

Finally calling her done. Learned a lot, had a ton of fun playing with pigments and very pleased with the end result. Could definitely gently caress around more with the hair and face, but I'm lazy.

I'll strongly encourage anyone interesting as painting as the hobby itself to try 75mm scale. There's so much space to gently caress around, and the bigger scale is more forgiving of dodgy brush control.

This is great. The NMM is cool but i really like the texture on the cloth and leather.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Hello! I'm looking for some paint/weathering tips for a project. It's not a mini, but I figure you all would still know best.

I have a plastic case that I want to paint black. I also want to somehow weather/distress it so that where the paint is missing, it looks like bare metal. It can't be as easy as putting on a few coats of nickel and then black over top can it? Then just wear through the black in places?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Ghostnuke posted:

Hello! I'm looking for some paint/weathering tips for a project. It's not a mini, but I figure you all would still know best.

I have a plastic case that I want to paint black. I also want to somehow weather/distress it so that where the paint is missing, it looks like bare metal. It can't be as easy as putting on a few coats of nickel and then black over top can it? Then just wear through the black in places?

The easiest way to do it is sponge weathering. Paint your surface black, then use a torn up sponge to dab on irregular splotches of metal colored paint. It looks great on miniatures but might look fake on a large surface.

Alternatively you could use Chipping Medium, or the old salt and hair-spray technique for something that large.
Basically you paint it metal color, then give it a clear varnish, then apply a chipping medium, then paint your surface color. After that you go over it with a toothpick or stiff bristle brush and rub away the surface color where you want to show wear and reveal the underlying metal color.
After you're done you give it a final varnish to lock in all the colors.

The Hairspray and salt method is similar but instead of chipping medium you spray hairspray on your surface and then scatter rock salt on it so it sticks. After you paint your surface color you can use water to dissolve the rock salt and reveal the color underneath. It's a good technique for large objects that you just want random paint scratches and chips as opposed to the more intentional effect you'll get with chipping medium.

You might get more details in the Cosplay thread in DIY, or by checking out prop making youtub channels.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Ratguts, or Grats?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

Ratguts, or Grats?

Please tell me you also got the kitty Griffith.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Ever since I got a vortex mixer my teeth have become whiter, my skin more moisturized and my hair thicker and lusher. and a girl actually smiled at me!

thanks, vortex mixer!

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Ever since I got a vortex mixer my teeth have become whiter, my skin more moisturized and my hair thicker and lusher. and a girl actually smiled at me!

thanks, vortex mixer!

Speaking of vortex mixers, what's a good cheap vortex mixer to get in the UK? the ones on Amazon are anything from 30 to 100. Is this a case of them all coming from the same factory in China and just being priced randomly by resellers?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Look for ones that say they're for mixing nail polish. Those are more than good enough.

Just be careful not to drop one of the cheap ones, because internally they're made on the cheap and they may not handle falling from desk height onto a hard floor.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's also worth buying some cheap glass beads to drop in as agitators! They don't weigh as much as metal, but they also don't rust.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Yeah, glass aquarium gravel will absolutely do the job, and gets you a ton on the cheap.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Cue the song. You know the one.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

First attempt at masking didn't go all that well, ah well, guess there's next time.

It probably won't be as noticeable if I add a lot of heavy weathering on top.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I should probably get a varnish or something as well as a pin drill for serious engineering, right? Or something to put on top once the kits are 'done' and Idon't want to gently caress around with the paints no more.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Lostconfused posted:

First attempt at masking didn't go all that well, ah well, guess there's next time.

It probably won't be as noticeable if I add a lot of heavy weathering on top.

That should be easy enough to touch up with your base green. Even if it's not a perfect color match it will be close enough that a touch of wash and weathering will hide it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
If you do a layer of your base color first, it will 'seal' your masks and reduce or even outright prevent bleed.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'll try that next time, but here I think at least a part of the base layer came away with the masking tape. So yeah a touchup of base paint will be next.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Lostconfused posted:

I'll try that next time, but here I think at least a part of the base layer came away with the masking tape. So yeah a touchup of base paint will be next.

Put the tape on your jeans / pants first, then put it on the model. The little layer of fuzz makes it come off super easy w/ much less of a chance of pulling up paint.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Kylaer posted:

Cue the song. You know the one.

This cries out for the tiniest Bluetooth speaker and possibly hydraulics.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Nessus posted:

I should probably get a varnish or something as well as a pin drill for serious engineering, right? Or something to put on top once the kits are 'done' and Idon't want to gently caress around with the paints no more.

Pin vise is super handy to have in general, I use it a lot when basing to make sure those fuckers arent going anywere, and occasionally when putting figures together (particularly metal models). Varnishing is a matter of taste. Some people dont bother at all, I'd say most people do, both for protection and to unify the finish (especially if you are using a mix of different brands paints, so have some satiny finishes, some matte). Personally I give everything a coat or two of gloss for protection, then matte because I prefer that finish, all with rattlecans. More or less any clear varnishes will do. Or you can buy pots and brush or airbrush on, but I'm cheap, lazy and have access to an outdoor area for spraying so aerosol can of cheap car lacquer is coat 1, then whatever matte varnish.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
6mm gun wagon from the lazy forger

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SiKboy posted:

Pin vise is super handy to have in general, I use it a lot when basing to make sure those fuckers arent going anywere, and occasionally when putting figures together (particularly metal models). Varnishing is a matter of taste. Some people dont bother at all, I'd say most people do, both for protection and to unify the finish (especially if you are using a mix of different brands paints, so have some satiny finishes, some matte). Personally I give everything a coat or two of gloss for protection, then matte because I prefer that finish, all with rattlecans. More or less any clear varnishes will do. Or you can buy pots and brush or airbrush on, but I'm cheap, lazy and have access to an outdoor area for spraying so aerosol can of cheap car lacquer is coat 1, then whatever matte varnish.
I ordered a drill but this pin vise is new. I was having success just holding the figure in place for 2m then if necessary moving it to the kitchen with the exhaust fan to cure. I did throw in some double sided tape for securing the minis on scraps of cardboard for priming. I don’t have an official Crafts Space at my place but I am confident I can use some scrap cardboard as a backstop for priming spray

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I use mine for projects around the home just because it’s faster than locating the drill and finding the right bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Nessus posted:

I ordered a drill but this pin vise is new. I was having success just holding the figure in place for 2m then if necessary moving it to the kitchen with the exhaust fan to cure. I did throw in some double sided tape for securing the minis on scraps of cardboard for priming. I don’t have an official Crafts Space at my place but I am confident I can use some scrap cardboard as a backstop for priming spray

A pin vise is a small handheld manual drill (it holds the drill bit). Just clarifying, since it seemed like you might be talking about the kind of vise that holds objects to a work bench while you work on them.