Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Eej posted:

"if you can buy hundreds of dollars of plastic then you're adult enough to take care of a $20 brush"

Are you sure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah there's no reason to buy good brushes for doing washes / drybrushing / stippling, etc.

99% of what you'd ever need a decent brush to do can be done with a Size 1 brush and a fine detail brush (and a bigger one if you plan on brush-painting vehicles I guess). Absolutely worth spending like $25 to get those and then a few bucks at any craft store / big box store to get some cheap beater brushes.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think part of it is you don't know you're fighting your paint brush until you get a nice brush and start using it. I certainly got used to using crappy brushes for a few months until I grabbed a W&N brush that was a decent price (they are not as cheap in Canada as they are in the US/UK). And yeah, they do make a difference especially for fine details. But so much of what I thought was just the normal challenges of painting pewter and plastic army elves was about the brushes I was using. Go figure.

What I would say is everyone should get a cheap makeup brush for drybrushing. Using one of those over a crappy old brush is a huge step up, and they're a buck fifty on amazon.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 24, 2021

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

SiKboy posted:

"Are there good mid-range brushes" to which I still think the answer is "No, not really". You can go various levels of expensive (winsor and newton, rosemary and co), or you can go cheap, and at either end you have to kind of roll the dice on what gets sent to you at the moment, unless you live somewhere you can browse in person currently.

An R&Co series 33 #2 is like eight bucks and I like them way more than the W&N I paid $20 for.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I use Army Painter Regiment and Character brushes for basecoats, most metallics and washes these days since I've been hearing those mediums will kind of screw up kolinksy sables.

Meanwhile I've been sticking with Rosemary & Co series 22 sizes 0, 1, and 2 for most of my regular painting.

Speaking of, I just finished a Primaris Librarian today

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cat Face Joe posted:

An R&Co series 33 #2 is like eight bucks and I like them way more than the W&N I paid $20 for.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

My current one is a AP Character that I picked up a while ago as my rosemary's have been losing their tips by this point so it's hard to get any real detail work done with them.
Got the full white handle set for Christmas but been sorta hesitant to use most of them for now, even if the basic detail one has been great for highlights.
Even if I have a tendency to dip only the tip into the paint and usually get one of those single hair strands at the tip.

But the R&Co ones I've has served me well. But I might've been too rough on them in hindsight despite cleaning them constantly.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cat Face Joe posted:

An R&Co series 33 #2 is like eight bucks

Nice, where can you get these in the US?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Nice, where can you get these in the US?

haha uhh *tugging at collar* hmmm

Unfortunately I think they only come direct from her. I don't think she's got any distribution agreements since she herself seems to be a distributor for a lot of stuff.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah I ordered a couple Rosemary brushes direct and they showed up pretty fast (about a week from ordering iirc?) and in really nice, secure packaging, which is more than I can say for Amazon.

They do have super long handles though, which take a little getting used to.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
On the topic of brushes, does anyone know where I could buy Master's brush soap (or a suitable replacement) in the UK? It seems to be sold out online at all the smaller art stores and Amazon and Ebay have it for around double the RRP.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think as I've gotten better at painting I've actually greatly expanded what I can do with cheap/worn out brushes. I just needed the precision of a good tip for a lot more things before I had spent years developing my brush control. So in my personal experience a good brush might even be more useful for a newer painter. (A good tip is still pretty much essential for some things, though)

Dreylad posted:

I think part of it is you don't know you're fighting your paint brush until you get a nice brush and start using it. I certainly got used to using crappy brushes for a few months until I grabbed a W&N brush that was a decent price (they are not as cheap in Canada as they are in the US/UK). And yeah, they do make a difference especially for fine details. But so much of what I thought was just the normal challenges of painting pewter and plastic army elves was about the brushes I was using. Go figure.

Yeah, when I first started painting minis there were a lot of details I'd look at and think "I don't see how it's even possible to paint that", then I got some nicer brushes and said "oh, that's how".

Cooked Auto posted:

But the R&Co ones I've has served me well. But I might've been too rough on them in hindsight despite cleaning them constantly.

Any brush is going to wear out eventually. How quickly varies based on the quality of the brush, how you use it, and what kind of care you take of it. But brushes are ultimately consumables.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Any brush is going to wear out eventually. How quickly varies based on the quality of the brush, how you use it, and what kind of care you take of it. But brushes are ultimately consumables.

Oh that's true. I was just hoping for a while longer since I don't usually have the money to grab decent brushes that aren't overpriced Citadel ones so want to make em last.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

idk about the army painter brushes but their little trio of metal modelling/basing tools is really good for the price

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Having fun, I can see slow improvement. There's certainly no hurry, after all. I got a lamp with a magnifier in it and that's helped a lot. Haven't done anything with the base yet and I might want a highlight pass if I can be bothered.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah I ordered a couple Rosemary brushes direct and they showed up pretty fast (about a week from ordering iirc?) and in really nice, secure packaging, which is more than I can say for Amazon.

This was really impressive. A thin box way bigger than the brushes, wrapped in corrugated board and taped to the bottom. Completely safe.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

This was really impressive. A thin box way bigger than the brushes, wrapped in corrugated board and taped to the bottom. Completely safe.

Yeah I ordered from them a few years ago before my recent purchase and then I think it came in an envelope or such, but this was a very interesting and nice surprise to see.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

HopperUK posted:

Having fun, I can see slow improvement. There's certainly no hurry, after all. I got a lamp with a magnifier in it and that's helped a lot. Haven't done anything with the base yet and I might want a highlight pass if I can be bothered.

S N A R T

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Crossposting from the AoS thread.

Cooked Auto posted:

Would you believe I started painting this one before [Warhammer Quest] Cursed City was announced and all we knew about was the Vampires?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Finished up Magneto earlier today, which means I've got the full Brotherhood of Mutants affiliation done now. :hellyeah:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I saw that first pic on my phone and knew it was Vorenus before I saw him. Amazing :)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Thanks to the suggestion for Rosemary Co. brushes. Even with shipping to the United States they were cheaper than buying W&N online anywhere.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Crackbone posted:

Thanks to the suggestion for Rosemary Co. brushes. Even with shipping to the United States they were cheaper than buying W&N online anywhere.

Yep, I've got a Series 33 size 0, 1, 2 coming today, I'm excited to see what all the hype is about!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

I use Army Painter Regiment and Character brushes for basecoats, most metallics and washes these days since I've been hearing those mediums will kind of screw up kolinksy sables.

I loved my Army Painter Regiment brush, but mine is so so so hosed that I caved and just bought a new set of AP brushes last weekend. Finally got around to using it last night and it came pre-frayed? Like it just full blown forked into 2 bits the second I took the brush condom off.

I know Vince has a really thorough brush cleaning video, I need to rewatch it and see what his 'nuclear option' was to maybe save my original one but I doubt it'll work.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Yep, I've got a Series 33 size 0, 1, 2 coming today, I'm excited to see what all the hype is about!

Trust me dude, having a large brush with a razor tip is a gamechanger

To actually post content, I've been working on my outriders

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Nice! Love the snow base.

my bike chaplain turned out so good (by my standards) that i can’t bring myself to finish my outriders, i did such a crappy assembly job on them by comparison :( kinda feel like stripping them and filling in the gaps and sanding off the sprue marks

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Thank you.

I'm doing the outriders to practice for the bike chaplain and test where to put effort into and how to get the snow on the tire to look believable. My first one doesn't look as good and I kinda want to peel the snow off the tires and try again.

Also learned that micro sol/set cure surprisingly quickly and to make it look more realistic on flat surfaces, I can paint the background color on the clear part of the transfers.

Oh and VMC are magic.

Edit: this was my first attempt

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 25, 2021

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Spanish Manlove posted:

Edit: this was my first attempt

ARGH

my intake is full of cummies

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Harvey Mantaco posted:

ARGH

my intake is full of cummies

Thank you for making me figure out a way to fix it. It was fairly easy to do with just a guitar pick.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

since we’re bikeposting

i got my workflow messed up and did all my highlights before doing gloss varnish & decal & oil wash. so idk if the varnishes will mess up the highlights, might need to go back in and touch some of them up. kinda happy with how this dude has come along though

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

I just dropped some cash to get Rosemary and Co brushes. I've painted hundreds of li'l dudes mostly with 10-20 year old GW brushes and whatever I can find at Michaels that aren't pure trash. In the spring of last year, I bought the random mini deal from Reaper and they included 4 of their brushes, which were the nicest brushes I've used, maybe some fancy level brushes will help me get my painting to the next level.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

jesus WEP posted:

since we’re bikeposting

i got my workflow messed up and did all my highlights before doing gloss varnish & decal & oil wash. so idk if the varnishes will mess up the highlights, might need to go back in and touch some of them up. kinda happy with how this dude has come along though

Lookin' good.

I've given myself the (probably not obtainable) task of completing my three outriders before the pre-order for DA's goes live this weekend. I told myself in the fall that I wouldn't let my pile of shame get out of hand. I'm currently the entire Indom. box half of SM's behind (really want to get at the blade bois) and I haven't even unwrapped the shrink wrap on my DW Combat Patrol box. I'm less worried about that last one. I really don't know why I bought it. I might do up the Aggressors, just to have, but I have ten Infiltrators painted and twenty-five Intercessors on sprue.

I also have two Warglaives sealed in box waiting, but I just finished painting and magnetizing ALL of my Knights stuff and really don't want to touch a robot of any size after that.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Spanish Manlove posted:

Thank you for making me figure out a way to fix it. It was fairly easy to do with just a guitar pick.

I don't feel like white snow would stick to the tires, especially the treads. I admit I don't live where it snows, but when I did I remember just a bit of dirty frost sticking to the outsides of tires, the treads either clear or full of dirty slush.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bucnasti posted:

I don't feel like white snow would stick to the tires, especially the treads. I admit I don't live where it snows, but when I did I remember just a bit of dirty frost sticking to the outsides of tires, the treads either clear or full of dirty slush.

Snow sticks inside of treads and a little of the back of the wheel well

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Bucnasti posted:

Depending on the moisture of the snow (think packing snow) and the space between the treads, it will. I think even snowmobile tracks will have it stuck in them sometimes and they're about as spaced as that make-believe space murderer bikes'.

EDIT: Beaten by the manlover.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like having reference images when working on stuff, I did the first one then my friend sent me that picture and I immediately realized what I did wrong. It's not perfect as I could do better, but this is all for learning.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Then I will defer to people who actually see snow on a regular basis.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Just need to make some tracks in the snow where it has gone over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MRLOLAST posted:

Just need to make some tracks in the snow where it has gone over.

Speaking of, I'm planning some Deathwatch Outriders and my army are based on a martian-style earth/desert texture so I wanted to create light tire tread tracks behind the back wheel on each of them. Is there a good method of creating tread tracks? Does anyone have any experience in creating impressions like this on something like Citidel Martian Ironcrust before drying? I mean there's not a whole lotta room on the base for much, so it wouldn't need to be anything too crazy.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 25, 2021