Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
It's bigger than a space marine helmet. But it might look ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Bassoon yarrick rules mate, good job

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

You could but that's still going to be a lot of layers of varnish that might start distorting the detail

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

You want Coat d Arms Putrid Green. Coat d Arms is always the answer for that era of GE paint colour matching.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Duncan's painting instructions aren't the most efficient I have seen and maybe not the best if you actively dislike painting. He shows painting an area from start to finish which if you want to get guys on the table quick is not the best way to paint.

Basically you want to open paint pots and clean brushes when necessary, this takes a bit of planning. For example for my imperial guard I will undercoat black, drybrush metallics then black wash. Base coat red, bone, flesh and brown areas, the wash those areas with a brown wash all together then do highlights.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

4th co ultras usually look like garbage but your dudes look great

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Just so everyone knows 'modulating colour' is called glazing.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

P3 Thornwood Greenwood plus a little black is probably your best bet

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Stephenls posted:

This doesn’t seem to have garnered any replies, so let me ask in a different way.

Anyone know any resources for how to paint black armor in a sort of blanchitsu-esque way? There’s a lot of resources for doing black in the ‘Eavy Metal style, and a lot of resources for doing flesh and leather and cloth in blanchitsu, but there’s not a lot of resources for doing black that looks oily or beat to poo poo or whatever while remaining noticeably black and not greying out.

If you want black armour like in that video I would spray models a very very dark grey, wash black all over. Get a fine sponge (like from a blister pack) and lightly dab the edges with it. Test on some sprue to get a feel. The same would basically apply for all the other colours he painted on the armour (e.g.. scab red, black wash, sponge silver).

Looking at the video I actually suspect he has just gone straight black with sponge highlights.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

You dumb bastard.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Make a milliput slurry. Mix milliput together with a bit of water and make a paste, fill gaps and sand

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

I think that colour scheme is really bad. Everything clashes and nothing is really coming together with it at all. Your admech stuff blows it out of the water.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

Finished him up. Think it turned out pretty good once I took the threads advice.

That looks way better. I would be inclined to darken the blue a bit and add some orange in the recesses of the feather to add a bit of definition there but this is good.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Yeah a dremel is kind of overkill for plastic if you only want to drill. You're going to have more control with the pin vice.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

jadebullet posted:

So I just picked up some Stormcast Eternals and my stupid brain is instant on trying to really push the whole storm angle. Anyway, there are two issues that I'm trying to figure out.

The first is color. I want to try and recreate the stormcloud color seen here. That really dark purplish blueish black. Does anyone have any idea of what would be a good base color to try and capture this particular shade?

Also, does anyone have any tips for somehow recreating the wierd very bold, but also dimmed coloring that everything gets when a storm is blowing in? (I already plan on putting some blowing green leaves on the basing to indicate strong wind)

The second issue I am having is far more complex. Basing wise, I intend to go for a kind of cobblestone road base. As I am going for a storm theme, I want to model the units right at that threshold where the storm finally breaks and the rain arrives. As such, I want to have the model and ground showing those first, fat rain drops that you always see start to cover the ground right before everything gets soaking wet. Does anyone have any idea on how I would recreate these raindrops on the ground and model without it looking strange?

I cant find a picture, but to further clarify, I want everything to appear dry, but the first drops of the storm are just hitting, making spots of wetness where the individual drops have hit.

Thanks guys. I know my request is a bit wonky.

For the colour of the sky try out reaper's dusky skin shadow with a black wash. Cannot help with the rest of your questions

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Paint them yellow if you want, just use a yellow primer.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

I think a few extra white panels would help break it up. The metallics look really flat it some pictures as well, like the ammo thingo on the turret and jets on the back look fairly flat. You could also very subtly glaze some panels with agrax earth shade to add some variation to the black without compromising it looking out of place with everything else. But looking at it next to the repulsor it really looks like an unreadable blob.

Also did you varnish it differently then the repulsor looks shinier?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Use a lighter to heat the tip and get things moving. Huff the fumes

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Dont use gesso

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

It's not unusual to be loved by Gulliman
It's not unusual to have fun with Gulliman
But when I see you hanging about with Abaddon

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

You could be putting down a gloss coat over the yellow then pin wash black into the shoulder trim recesess then block in the rest black

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Mr Teatime posted:

Thinking I might try something like that for the next batch, I've also heard about using varnish as a sort of save point while painting. If I bodge a colour on top of a gloss coat what can I use to remove the mistake that wont go through the varnish too?

A bit of rubbing alcohol

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

P3 Paints are fine, I have a handful in my collection.

Are you a beginner painter? Are you wanting to paint up things to match GW schemes or are you doing your own thing?

I would generally recommend GW paints to beginners, not for price or because they are better but because most tutorials surround stuff you want to paint (Space marines) will have GW paints. They are usually the easiest paints to find and the quality is good.

I've been painting for almost 20 years now starting out with GW paints. I started buying up non GW brands, having an idea in my head that a certain brand what THE brand to use. You realise that you find paints from all different ranges that work for you. My paint collections now is GW (Hex screw top to current), P3, Coat D Arms, Vallejo Game and Model colour and Reaper.

GW makes great metallics but I don't like their whites or black. Washes and technical paints are good.

P3 metallics are poo poo house, but there was a period when I would use their coal black on every model.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Racists are starting to self censor their loser flags

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Ilor posted:

Oh, is this the rear end in a top hat with the Confederate Battle Flag all over his stuff?

Yeah

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Always priming black is soooo 2005

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

I'm even more impressed after seeing these pictures. Even the Dreadnaught looks amazing. Apparently these are all painted with contrasts, technicals and maybe metallics.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

TTerrible posted:

The dread looks pretty patchy and pooly to me. The rest look good though!

A bit, but still a really good result for the amount of effort that would have went into it

I also think with careful application of those big flat surfaces you could get pretty convincing blends

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

I played around with the contrast paints yesterday, got to say they are pretty great.

The undercoats are not satin, they have the same 'tooth' as matt airbrush undercoats. Definitely a smoother finish than GW's other primers, but definitely not satin.

The thing I like most about them is the ability to paint smaller details quickly like belts and straps and little glass bottles. Usually I enjoy painting the large areas of the models then lose motivation and rush the small details. But you can get reasonable results with one pass of a contrast colour on a belt or bauble.

I will post a picture of the stormcast I painted up when I get the chance.

Edit: one thing is the paint does not seem to adhere as well as the rest of the citadel range. I'm not sure if I should have given it more drying time, or if it is the primer or what, but it's it doesn't seem very durable. I was handling painted areas more than usual because I was painting in-store and didn't have my usual set up or sub assemblies so couldn't effectively reach hard to paint areas. I'm thinking if I could actually give the paints half an hr to dry in a batch painting scenario then it might not be an issue.

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 9, 2019

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

I played around with the contrast paints yesterday, got to say they are pretty great.

The undercoats are not satin, they have the same 'tooth' as matt airbrush undercoats. Definitely a smoother finish than GW's other primers, but definitely not satin.

The thing I like most about them is the ability to paint smaller details quickly like belts and straps and little glass bottles. Usually I enjoy painting the large areas of the models then lose motivation and rush the small details. But you can get reasonable results with one pass of a contrast colour on a belt or bauble.

I will post a picture of the stormcast I painted up when I get the chance.

Edit: one thing is the paint does not seem to adhere as well as the rest of the citadel range. I'm not sure if I should have given it more drying time, or if it is the primer or what, but it's it doesn't seem very durable. I was handling painted areas more than usual because I was painting in-store and didn't have my usual set up or sub assemblies so couldn't effectively reach hard to paint areas. I'm thinking if I could actually give the paints half an hr to dry in a batch painting scenario then it might not be an issue.

lovely pictures sorry, I'm on holiday and using my cheap smart phone for pics. Colour names could be wrong as well, I'm going by memory.

Undercoated with grey seer. I started with 2 coats of the voloupos pink to get the saturation I wanted for the armour. Then the I hit the robes with one coat of apothecary white. Then I did a coat of iyanden yellow on the gold trim. Belts/straps got one coat of black Templar. The mace is a coat of the balisicum grey, the leather on the handle is snakebite leather. The glass shard thing in his hip is a coat of the light blue (blanking on the colours name) Base was done with goregrunta fur and splotches of creed camo green. The leaves on the base are Ork flesh green. The base edge was 3 coats of black templar as we only had contrast paints to work with. I did a quick edge highlight on the armour by mixing grey seer base paint and voloupos pink.

If I was going this at home I would have painted the gold with metallics and the base with my usual techniques but would do everything else the same.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Has the same problem with white scar. Almost like some particles were already dry before opening it. Haven't replaced IIT, just use Vallejo white now

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

You can't make out any make up but they look real solid. Pink base rims are really distracting though, I would go for a dark grey purple tone if you want something that ties in with your colour scheme .

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

JBP posted:

I get mid model jitters bad and leap to everything being hosed and me being an idiot. I added his other bits because you can't really tell much from the armour on its own.

Probably going to go for less crazy edges and then use this colour for light source style high highlights.

Looks sick.

Paint the skin super pale and black hair. Thought these were meant to be Not Lords?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

JBP posted:

I like grey hair so I've just been paintin' that way. Maybe I'll give some black hair a go even though I never like the outcome.

E: spookied him up a bit and made the paint thick in the process. Good thing GW ship you like 25 heads now so you can tool around freely.

I like it.

gently caress yeah

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Goons should post their hobby Instagrams

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7SvzULBzts/?igshid=irm7rt0bwovf

I've been painting stuff on and off and taking photos of my work and haven't really posted here for a couple of years because it is a little bit of a hassle. I have also been going through my collection and posting pics here and there.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

Yeah! he's just a fun vibe all around. There's a lot of great content on youtube.

Darren Latham has some great vids but it seems like GW cracked down on him making them.

What makes you say that GW is cracking down on him? He seems to be powering ahead with his videos

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

JBP posted:

How's my blanchitsu? I reckon I should forge ahead with the next 79 guys... This probably took me 15 minutes from start to finish.

Its just all brown at the moment. I would do thr lower cloth dirty yellow or bone colour and upper cloth brown. And maybe consider doing thr skulls red for some contrast?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

That looks better take better photos next time champ

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Im an oz goon but Jackson art supplies in the uk delivers down our way. I recommend raphael and winsor newton series 7s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Does spray on primer expire? I have a ~4 year old Army Painter bottle I was thinking of using. It was already opened and partially used.

Dunno, but just test it on some sprue or and old model you dont care about to find out.