Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Fyrbrand posted:

Cool I'll be the guy to immediately follow a bunch of amazing models with my own weak sauce

I still think the Kriegers are my best painted stuff yet. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Crossposting from the 40k thread since it's getting embroiled in Eldar chat.

Making some progress with my Scions at last by just following GW's video painting guide even. Although I'm not sure if I wanna go into the highlighting stage or not once I've finished the base colours because I kinda like the muted colours that I've got with them right now.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

So highlight them with muted colors. Also did you prime with gloss?

Yeah that sounds like a plan, and no that's just the LED lights I've got at my painting workshop that does that to the basecoat for some reason.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Too simple?

Nothing wrong with keeping things simple I say. Looks good to me.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

spectralent posted:

I kind of want to do a digital camo scheme on some near-future sci fi vehicles I'm painting; something like this.

My issue is A: The vehicles are 6mm and B: I can't even paint straight lines let alone pixel boxes. Is there any trick I could use to generate a similar effect or is the advice just going to have to be paint-based "get good"?

There are places who sell digicam stencils but that's really only for Airbrush usage so I don't know how much use you'll get out of those with brushes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Gumdrop Larry posted:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

I remember this being linked in here not long after GW renamed everything, and it's been my go-to for paint comparison since.

http://www.scaleworld.info/#!page2/cjg9

I found this site a while ago that has the GW paints as well as covering other paint ranges if you want replacement or similar colours.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think I'm going to take back any idea of getting more ebay rescue projects because my first one is proving to be a sheer hell.

This is how a Leman Russ chassi I got a while ago looks like after three weeks in a pure green soap bath aside from periods where I've gone at it with an toothbrush which has only helped to gotten rid of the first layer of paint apparently.
So does anyone have any better ideas for paint stripping that can be acquired in the EU that might help me get rid of the rest of it?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

Brown Dettol hasn't failed me yet. Not sure if it's in the rest of the EU but it's certainly here in the UK.

I heard Fairy Power Spray used to be good but they changed the recipe so YMMV

So this is what you mean with Brown Dettol I assume?

SRM posted:

This is what we Warhams know as "terrain"

Tempting but I have a spare FW Vanquishier turret that is badly screaming for a chassi of its own. Now this on the other hand is terrain. Or a possible sacrifice to the dark gods.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Raphus C posted:

Dettol works. I used it to strip 100s of Orks I obtained from ebay. It can take a while and you have to be careful to avoid the goop - avoid mixing with water when scrubbing the paint off as it can turn it into some weird sludge poo poo that I would expect to see oozing from some mysterious barrel.

I believe I heard something in the lines of that being mentioned during a previous paint stripping discussion. Guess I'll order a bottle at some point then. Should I dilute it somehow or just chuck the entire bottle inside a container of some sort like I do with green soap?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Progress shots of my Blood Raven Scions. Turns out that using Red Gore instead of Wazdakka Red for edge highlight didn't work at all because it's barely noticeable unless you look in really close. Especially over Scab red which turns really dark after getting a Devlan Mud wash.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

Old Red Gore is basically the same color as Khorne Red. Highlight it with Mephiston Red, I did for my Dark Angels's weapon casings. It's not as bright as Wazdakka Red but it'll still be noticeable.

Oh good, Mechrite red. I have a couple of pots of that. I'll give that a whirl before ordering the updated paints.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

Mephiston Red, not Mechrite Red. Mechrite Red is a gross nail polishy purplish mauve poo poo color with bad coverage. Mephiston Red is actually decent.

Ooookay. Guess I'll order that from the flgs or something because none of the stores I live have all the paints anyway.
Although I'm pretty sure the Mechrite red pots I have aren't as bad as that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Star Man posted:

If it weren't for that base, this would look like it was a still from a movie.

Crop the image at the his knees, add some flying shell casing and muzzle flash, make it black & white and you have a Forgeworld picture.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

I've finished up the first transport for The Blood Axes! I call it Da Scrumvee:

I'd almost go with Scrumtrack.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

Scrumtrack is only one letter off from Scruntrack, which is a mental image I really don't need.

Yeah I admit my mind wandered in a very similar direction after I had posted that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Silhouette posted:

:ssh: VMC Black-Grey + black wash = instant black with depth :ssh:

I get the feeling I'd run out of wash if I used that technique when I'm going to start painting an Inquisitorial APC. Then again, not sure how well that would work on large almost flat surfaces.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

Don't wash whole vehicles. You'll get some really gross pooling that won't actually make your model look weathered and dirty, it'll just make it look like poo poo. Use wash strategically around rivets and raised details and use it to shade the recesses of the model only, then clean it up with the base color.

Yeah I figured something like that would happen if I was going to use that technique.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That looks pretty ace if anything.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I've got a Hobby zone shelf for most of my paints. The rest are tucked away in a couple of boxes here and there in my room. But that's the stuff I rarely use so.
Can take a photo of it later.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

KR Multicase 4 ever.

Thirdin' this

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Biostrip20 is the best thing you can buy for stripping models. Non-toxic, non-irritant, sink flushable. Seriously, don't be a wally, be hip. Biostrip!

I am convinced by the jingle alone. :golfclap:
Go figure if I'd be able to find it over here (:sweden:) though thinking about it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Would anyone happen to know the best GW equivalent for Plastic Soldier Companies British Tank Warspray? I got it to speed up the painting of my tanks a little but I can't figure out what GW colour to use for touch ups and such.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

Try a VMC paint? They're going to have a waaay better selection of WWII military colors. 70.924 (Russian Uniform WWII) is supposedly a good match for WWII-era British armor.

Oh yeah, for a second I thought I had already bought it but I guess not. Will have to do that at some point then.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I wanted to get my rear end in gear with some older projects just so I don't wear myself out on painting nothing but Marines and while I'm waiting for some colours for a Mordheim Warband. So I decided to restart work on a Chimera I've had lying about for a long rear end time now.

So I rebased it using PSC WW2 British Armor green to cover my lack of Castellan green. But I'm not too sure what to use for edge highlight colour for it to make it pop a bit more later on.

Also, any easy weathering tricks that I can use to spruce it up a little very encouraged as well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So how many times do you still mix up the two cups?

Continuing with the paint station posting.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Not mine, I just found it and it looked relevant. But saying from my experience labeling doesn't help, the coffee's still going to get brushes dipped in even with dedicated painting station and brush cups.

Yeah I rarely tend to drink whenever I paint and whenever I do I tend to have the glass pretty far away from the painting station regardless to avoid that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

A pair of WIP shots of the Chimera I'm working on right now but I'm not too sure if Elysian Green is the colour I should go for when it comes to edge highlighting it or if I should go for a darker green.
It is also frustrating to discover that the PSC British tank spray colour and VMC 924 Russian Uniform are in slightly different tones which makes any spot repairs noticeable.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So I'm starting to find myself in need of some new brushes, primarily for edge highlighting as the small brushes I have can't seem to keep their tip for long enough. I was thinking of Ichiban brushes from Games & Gears but 35 pound price tag is kind of hefty. But what other alternatives are there? Aside from just getting GW brushes or something.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

signalnoise posted:

For what it's worth I really like my Ichiban brushes, but when they're capped they're usually too small for most brush holders i've used.

Yeah one of the guys running the FLGS in town recommended them and they've been in and out of stock on their website whenever I've checked so I am tempted.

Biggest issue with the Series 7 is probably pricing as well since the GBP has never been that nice to the Swedish Krona in exchange rates.
Also no real package deals it seems on their site.

Otherwise all I find is either Citadel, Army Painter, da Vinci or Kolinsky brushes in most online stores. Which I guess is a given.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So it turns out the G&G brushes are, aside from grabbing generic Kolinsky brushes, my only other option because it turns out that Winson & Newton doesn't ship to Scandinavia.
They apparently ship to everywhere else in the world though. Except Australia and New Zealand. And Scandinavia.
How the gently caress does that even work? :what:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Frobbe posted:

https://www.faraos.dk Sells them, theyll probably ship to you. It is where i bought mine anyway

Oh nice. Much appreciated.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Embargoes, for some reason or another. Have you tried Amazon, or perhaps a Euro-goon who might be able to get them for you and ship them over? Personally, I'd try that before purchasing a G&G brush.

Amazon is really really shakey I know from experience. They also don't tell you which retailers ship outside their country until the last step. Which is incredibly frustrating.
But yeah, I had a friend in the UK who offered to ship them to me if I wanted to so there is that option as well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Huh, neat. But ow that pricing per brush. In that case I'd have to settle for just a 0 or 1 size brush and then order some Rosemary & Co brushes as well on the side.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Crossposting from the 40k thread.
Finally finished the Chimera I've had since I bought the Armoured Fist box during the last codex update. :toot:

This was pretty much just edge highlighting practice for me after getting the new brushes and I still need to get better at it and to even out my lines.
Also using that green colour as base was a bad idea as I couldn't touch up mistakes without things being noticeable due to differences in colour tone.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Frobbe posted:

Again, these are done with an iPhone 6S. I do own a really nice camera, but it's way easier to just upload from my phone to my PC via dropbox or similar, i then do a quick WB edit in Picasa (I'm feeling lucky) and away we go!

Yeah, while I own a pretty good camera and a lightbox I just tend to snap a quick but as decent as possible shot of something I just completed with my Nexus 4 camera alongside a white backdrop and a couple of extra lights. As it's honestly quicker to do so for a quick "Look what I finished" thing than finding space for a lightbox and tripod and camera. Granted I tend to make sure the image looks decently light and isn't a blurry mess but that's about the extent of it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Does anyone have any experience in working with the type of resin that the Raging Heroes people use for their stuff? I have two models that I'm going to paint but even after two baths in warm water and dish washing soap they still feel a bit too glossy for me to believe they've been degreased enough.
Should I give them a third bath and then go to town with an old toothbrush like with you do with Forgeworld resin or try basecoating them anyway?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

When not dancing to the heaviest of beats, Technoviking fights to purge the universe of Xenos and Heretics.
The first of at least three more officers that I'm working on.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

First model of May finished and it's also the second model I finished this week. I'm on a very vague roll here. :woop:
Also Scion heads work really well on Cadian bodies once you've cut down their neck bulge a little.
Only one officer left to do for now.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Here's the problem: you buy cheap, you're going to keep putting money into brushes that crap out after a few sessions. You're going to (shortly) get to a point where if you had just spent a few extra bucks on a good brush and some brush soap, you would have saved money. A W&N Series 7 size 1 brush is $20 USD. I do most of my painting with this brush. If you go crazy and get a size 0, you'll have spent $40 for two brushes that will last you for a long time.

Save the cheap brushes for drybrushing, washes, and super fine detail (like eyes.)

The Series 33 Rosemary & Co brushes is a good option too. Bought them at a recommendation from this thread and they have worked perfectly.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

cyberia posted:

It's one of the Raging Heroes 'Toughest Girls of The Galaxy' models. Specifically 'Natasha Kurganova, Coms Operator'.

edit - and the base is a 'Tech' base from Micro Art Studios.

As a somewhat unrelated side note regarding the Raging Heroes stuff you should be extra thorough with the cleaning because their release agent is surprisingly hard to get rid off if you follow their instructions. I think I gave mine three different baths and scrubbing sessions with a toothbrush and the primer just flaked off because I hadn't gotten rid of the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finished five Fenrisian Wolves to be used for Wood Elf hunting hounds tonight. :toot: Sorry for lovely tablet picture.