Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Finally finished my Bones orc. Not super happy with it but 2/3rds of my GW paints dried up so I didn't have much to work with :smith:. I really didn't like working with the bonesium. I don't expect to be getting any more bones, I'll stick to the metal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Does anyone have experience or a tutorial for recasting parts in clear resin?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

That Crimson Fist doesn't look very Hispanic :colbert:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

What did you want to know?

What kind of mold material works, and wheres a good place to get it? I want to recast some warjack heads so I can put an LED behind them. I'm seeing some silicone mold putties available at Micheal's but I would think a liquid option would be preferable for such small parts

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

One weird tip - Pre-mix flow aid and clean water in a dropper bottle and use that to dilute your paints. Don't thin your paints with rinse water! Some paints, particularly metallics will contaminate other colours really easily.

This happened to a bones orc I painted, he had glitter everywhere :saddowns:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

RE: Casting chat:

Today I'm going to attempt a crazy method for making cheap molds. Gonna use pure caulking silicone and thin it with either xylene or mineral spirits and use my moms Foodsaver to degass (don't think it'll work but worth a shot). I still need some casting resin but one thing at a time. I'll you guys know how it turns out

EDIT - Wait mineral spirits melts plastic, doesn't it? Crap nevermind

Super Waffle fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 29, 2015

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Are those guys from a set or did you convert them?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

W-what is it? :ohdear:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

Warlord Titan from Forgeworld.

It will probably be a nightmare to assemble and will be hilariously top-heavy and likely collapse under its own weight.

:stare: I thought they topped out at the Reaver class. How much does that thing cost?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I just don't understand these absurdly large models. Never mind the game implications, I'm talking as an engineer from the construction perspective. You can't really call that a miniature anymore. The thought of putting together something that big, out of resin, with superglue? It makes no sense. At that size you should be using screws, bolts, nuts, actual hardware. It should have a metal skeleton that resin puts are glued on to.

I...I just can't. I can't. :psyduck:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

cast it out of god drat aluminum at that point it would probably be cheaper

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

One of the final levels of Dawn of War had you fighting over the ruins of an Imperator Titan. You could build generators to power up the guns, that was so awesome :buddy:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

SRM posted:

These guys look good! Props on cranking them out so fast. If you're gonna do Martian rust desert bases, I'd get that GW Martian Ironearth paint since it does that cool crackle effect, but it's red instead of brown.

Or you could avoid the hassle of painting sand and make scientifically accurate martian soil :science:

Cut up some fine steel wool into little pieces and mix it in with some regular sand in a wide tray. Add enough water to cover all the wool bits and leave it outside to dry. The wool will rust and all the rust bits will leech into the sand, turning it red. Base coat your bases brown, apply glue, then sand and you're done :science:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Which was the stripper that also eats super glue? I got some unpainted warjacks second hand but they were never cleaned up before gluing (so many mold lines :gonk:)

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

An Angry Bug posted:

Asked this in the Warmahordes thread but no answer. Is it normal for PP's pewter miniatures to have an odor? Because the Asphyxious I bought yesterday smells like gas from a stove right out of the package.

Thats probably the oil-based mold release agent. Give it a good wash with soap and it should come off. Thats something you want to do with all metal models, it prevents your primer from sticking

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Hey guys, I am having some trouble getting a smooth, even, right red on my Khador jacks. I've only ever painted a dark red on cloaks and robes and such, but the jacks have large, wide, flat areas. I feel like no matter how many coats its just looks splotchy and streaky. Short of getting an airbrush, anyone have any tips? This is over a grey primer. I'm currently using thinned scab red > unthinned mechrite red > thinned skarsnik red.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

The Heckler posted:

Cheers! it's pretty much just gutrot spume with the sword swapped out and a forsaken arm jammed in his giblet hole. I used his axe for my autek mohr:

God drat do I love this dude. Does he have rules in the 30k books? I love how dynamic the mechadendrites look

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Talked to some the GW guys at today's Warhammer World Grand Opening, about the brushes they said that Winsor Newton DO make the Artificer brush - it's not the top of he range but the next down (so not Kolinsky sable but sable, that's how I took that). The brushes do look good but if you already have a set of Series 7 or other Kolinsky sable brushes just keep using what you're happy with.

BTW if anyone wants to see my photo album from the day (new models, loads of new display boards) here's the link: https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/6149526483284482033

I didn't take pictures of the older items in the exhibition hall, because I already had them from the old exhibition hall (click here https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/5936205578977392769).

Also, here are my photos from last year's Warhammer Fest, which includes an awesome Zone Mortalis display that is not in Warhammer World: https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/6068994686867709921?authkey=CKaF682N9oWwQw

Ok I have to admit, I would pay admission to see those dioramas in person :stare:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I picked up a Portable Warfare APC the other week from the game store. I really like it, especially for $20. Its a huge improvement over my previous transport method, which consisted of a plastic organizer drawer studded with off-brand blue-tac.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Am I having a stroke or are those figures neon green and pink and not black and gold? :psyduck:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Preeeetty sure that army painter dip is just Minwax they charge an arm and a leg for. Go to Home Depot and spend $7 on a can of your choice and see what you get. That was the old Tyranid dipping technique

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

rantmo posted:

I finally got my Basius2 pads today and jumped right in to trying to make my first two bases tonight. It was a mixed result, I think. It was my first time trying to use green stuff to any meaningful degree and man, that stuff got all over my xacto knife and thumbnails, which I guess I'll get better at with time. It's a bit humid in Chicago tonight too, so I don't know if that's anything to do with it. I also had a tough time getting the base off the mold; I wet down the area I was aiming for pretty prodigiously but that doesn't really seem to be enough. What's a better option for that? There's also a little bit of green discoloration on the mold from the GS and I'm hoping that can be removed safely somehow/prevented in the future.

Astroglide.

No really

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

SRM posted:

Mephiston Red, not Mechrite Red. Mechrite Red is a gross nail polishy purplish mauve poo poo color with bad coverage. Mephiston Red is actually decent.

Mechrite Red is my favorite color and will fite you irl.

It also smells good.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Yeah I went to shake it before opening it and it was completely inert. Like a big gooey white blob of clay that hasn't dried yet. I opened the top and tried to stir it and add some water to soften it up, but it's still clumpy and awful to paint with.

Glad its not just mine :sigh:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

So I know that Tamiya is probably the premier producer of tools for plastics, but who're the good brands for tools for metal? I'm planning on doing some conversion work and am in dire need of a tiny saw and some files.

I would look into jeweler's tools

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I picked up the Green Stuff World drybrush set and they have made a world of difference. Stiff but soft, round but not flared like a makeup brush. Well worth it in my opinion.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

The first bit is the problem for me and I want to fully transition to the 2nd part.

Go ahead and do the quick scheme just to get all your dudes painted. You can always go back and add details when you have the time!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Oh shoot, I better stock up on AP Gunmetal on the offchance it changes then!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

I whipped up some gnolls to use as proxies 'cause GW cultists kinda suck.

That one guy with the arrow through him is a really excellent sculpt that my pictures don't do justice.

Lessons learned from this batch include you can never have enough purple in your schemes, and that rust effects are actually pretty hard to do when you're trying to avoid oranges.

These dudes are SICK! Where are these models from? As a former Gnoll player in a D&D game I am in love

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Manuel Boria. Highly recommended - I've got a couple of his not-skaven sculpts, too, and they're even better than the gnolls.

Oh man I love these, how characterful! The perfect blend of detail and cartoonishness.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy; I've certainly spent way too much time and money on hobbies before admitting to myself that it really isn't any fun, I just liked the idea of it (like Eve Online, Skyrim, and bread baking). It's ok if you don't like painting Cadians; maybe you just like the idea of having a Cadian army. I would suggest just setting them aside for a bit and coming to them later (or never!). Life is too short and hobby time too scarce to waste it on models you don't actually like painting.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

The only thing that has made me even close to consider Infinity are the military werewolves; might pick one up just to paint.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Dude, what are you??

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Finished my Venomcrawler last night, this is definitely the biggest thing I've finished so far. Pretty happy with it but it but the immense amount of trim has turned me off Demon engines and I don't think I'll be using the Forgefiend I got, at least not for a while.

Next up is a rhino!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Regarding my obliterator missing an arm; I ended up going the simple route as I need this guy for a game next week:

Crab claw arm from a Possessed and some greenstuff = sorted!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I use a 40mm zone mortalis base as a texture pallet to wipe off excess paint for dry brushing. As for bone I keep it simple; base with white and use AP Pallid Bone speed paint, sometimes two coats.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I have found that thinning Corax White with white ink does the trick for me in two coats, even over black

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

I may end up buying an box of HH marines just to crib the helmets :l

The Primaris Raven guard upgrades comes with two beakie helms and 4 emo heads

https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/raven-guard-mk6-heads-2023

The Forgeworld Raven Guard legion upgrade has 10 beakies and one emo head

https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/raven-guard-mk6-heads-2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Absolutely love me some Khorne red, thins great and has excellent coverage. Has that hint of purple/burgundy that makes it such a great basecoat to build up on. All my Iron Warriors have some red accents with the following recipe:

Khorne Red -> Khorne + Evil Sunz - > Evil Sunz -> Wildrider highlight