Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

throw a nuln/agrax over it, maybe thin it a little if you don't want to go too dark.

Thanks, that did the trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Grundma posted:

I've been painting a lot and over the past few weekends have done a ton of progress on my Ogres:

Those bases are great, I really like the flowers

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Electric Hobo posted:

but I'm stumped about thrower and lineman.

something something Skull Thrown

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Some grimy boyz

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Pakxos posted:

Those looks great! How did you do the fur fringe on the one Ork?

Thanks! It's AP Necromancer Cloak base, AP Dark Tone wash and then a drybrush of Celestra Grey and then a light drybrush of Ulthuan Grey

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Playing around with some fire and ice effects. Fairly pleased but I need to try a proper wetblend at some point

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Doesn't alcohol also eat the plastic apart? I have some older mixed metal/plastic models I need to strip and I'm afraid to ruin them.

I've left modern plastic models in 93 % alcohol for 24 hours without any issues

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

R0ckfish posted:

Froggo done! This fella makes me want to avoid finecast even more, it was pretty gross and I was not gonna attach its banner thing with that tiny little edge of resin.

That is a real nice frog. I have a finecast Eisenhorn lying around (had to get a replacement since the first had large craters in the face) and I'm not looking forward to assembling him :v:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Vlex posted:

I'm soliciting advice for adapting this approximate scheme, which is:

I'm sketching out a Thousand Sons concept army of animated statues.

I'm sure the above would work as-is, but I think it would be cool to convey an "angry spirit barely contained in ancient armour" vibe by making the panels of the armour appear to glow.

Would skeleton bone base > biel-tan green wash > karak stone layer work, or be completely crap? How would I go about making armour joins glow if so?

I think washing it with green would just make it look like a mossy statue. You could try painting the glow directly into the joints, using a thinned darker color for the glow around the area, and a lighter, more intense color in the joint itself?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Vlex posted:

Interesting, the darker colour outside the crack goes against my instincts, but makes sense if there's an intense green inside the crack. I mean, I guess it wouldn't be dark green outside, more like a vibrant, lush green?

Yeah, I meant darker as in dark-than-the-lightsource dark. Something like Warpstone Green vs. Moot Green for example.

I did some rudimentary glow on this guy using thinned Warpstone Green around the flame, with Moot Green on sharp edges where the light would catch, such as the pauldron:

On your model it would be sorta like this (only not 2 min in MS paint :v: )

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Haven't felt like doing much since that tank's stripes, but i decided to bake some cookies

(finished on the left)

Looks good. Cork and crackle paint?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Torquemada posted:

Eyes of the Nine (Tzeench Demons) Sepulchral Guard (ancient skeletons), Thundrik’s Profiteers (steampunk dwarfs), Skaeth’s Wild Hunt (elfy centaurs) and maybe Ironsoul’s Condemnors (a type of Stormcast Eternal). This would give you a ridiculously wide variety of different tones and textures to work on, plus they all snap-fit, so you won’t have to worry about gluing them while you’re deployed.

I'd suggest Mollog's Mob as well, he is a nice sleepy boy with cute friends (also he is a bigger model than most of the warbands if you want some variety in size)

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Finally finished up the Chosen Axes

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Scandalous posted:

I have finally done it. I have Finished A Guy.

This easily took me thirty hours.

Now you just need to freehand a Salamanders insignia on the shoulder :unsmigghh:

But seriously, looks real good

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Can anyone speak to the Red Grass wet palettes? my sponge needs replacing on my masterson, and $30 CAD for 3 sponges feels like a massive scam

edit: or the arrmy painter one for that matter

I've been using the AP one and I'm pretty happy with it. Only been painting for like 4 months though, so can't speak for its longevity really.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I’m bored and playing around with the Impcat app, brainstorming Space Marine schemes. Made one I quite like based on Goliath beetle colors but the perfect color for the weapon eludes me. I tried a few different ones but still not sure:

Any suggestions?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm not sure why you're making the weapon a contrasting colour instead of one of the colours from the armour?

It's goign to make it stand out over the armour when it isn't the focal point of the mini. I'd do it one of the armour colours - white if you want it to stand out more, red to tone it in, black to make it stand out less.

Eh, thought it might look a bit same-y/drab otherwise, but perhaps you’re right

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions. I think red might be the way to go too. Now let’s see if I ever manage to put paint to miniature :v:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

tgis but make the helmet the teal from your very first pic

definitely some potential there as well

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

DrDraxium posted:

Question
Something I’ve been curious about. A lot of tutorials I’ve read/watched say that you should do your basing first before you start painting your model. Whilst I understand this in principle (you don’t wanna have to make a complex base around the feet of your painted mini. However wouldn’t you eventually have to glue the bare plastic model onto the base in order to paint it? Or are peeps just holding onto their marine/creature’s leg whilst painting? Seems kinda awkward if that’s the case. I may be missing something here!

You can mount a model on a painting handle without a base by pinning it, or using blu tack, or even using a drop of super glue so you can just snap it off once you’re done.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 16, 2020

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

JackMann posted:

Okay, trying some things out.

For each the yellow, the blue, and the gold, left or right?

I'd say right for yellow and blue, I like the warmer tone

The left gold feels more metal-ish to me than the right

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 16, 2020

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

What washes do people like beside GW and Vallejo?

The Army Painter Quickshade washes are my favorites. The set with all 11 has done tremendous work for me.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

I have a bunch of these that have the same branding but they say ink on them. I'm assuming they're a different product?

darnon posted:

I think it's just a labeling generation thing. I got the set too and they're all labelled as 'Army Painter Quickshade - Ink' even the tones. The newer labeling has 'Washes' in red along the bottom. The colored ink is fairly weak as ink goes, perhaps closer to a glaze.

Yeah, as far as I know the Ink label is just the previous generation. Don't know if there's any change in the formula though.

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, the AP Dark Tone (black), Strong Tone (dark brown), Light Tone (light brown), and Flesh Tone washes are a great pick up for anyone who wants to use washes. Don't have any experience with the colored ones but I'd assume they're also good.

The only one I've struggled a bit with finding a use for is the Mid Brown, but yesterday I experimented a bit and turns out a few layers on top of Zandri Dust makes a decent skin tone

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Any good resources on painting darker skin tones, it's not something I've had a huge amount of success with in the past and I want to vary things up as much as possible this time around.

This guide to the Godsworn Hunt by Mengel runs through 5 different skin tones and is quite nice.

Also the goonhammer article https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-paint-everything-human-skin/

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Just waiting on water to dry so I can tint it with a bit of red, but otherwise I'm extremely happy with how this turned out

Gorgeous, really clean. What'd you use for the water?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

God, there's like 5 different TG goon Discords and I've joined them all. I just want to keep chatting about painting in the future :smith:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

In celebration of the forums surviving, here's some Godsworn Hunt progress

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

I already praised these on discord but drat they are great.

I just painted this fancy yelling magic man.

Thanks, your eye turned out great as well!

Finished another half-naked dude

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I might need some more glow

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 29, 2020

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Finally got the Godsworn Hunt done

Wasn't really sold on them at the beginning but they grew on me

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Ghosts N' Roses

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Got Grashrak's Despoilers all painted up, pretty pleased with them. My first completed project since I got back into painting minis.

Next up...

Looks good. Grashrak's was my first project as well. Still haven't gotten the guts to try Mollog

PierreTheMime posted:

An excellent take! That set is really fun to play around with.

Thanks! My first ghosts, they're pretty fun to paint

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 5, 2020

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

The new GW paint and spray (stolen from Facebook)

The glow looks pretty nice

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

How does this work? Is it just a wash over silver? I'm not familiar with the technical line.

Depends on the paint, they all do something different. My guess with this one is that it’s a wash or contrast-like over white

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Karnegal posted:

who makes the funky color tufts?

Gamers Grass

https://www.gamersgrass.com/alien-tufts/345-133-alien-neon-4mm.html#/5-shape-wild

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Omar al-Bishie posted:

how do you go about painting black daemon flesh?

The AoS FB page just posted this

Looks something like black base -> The Fang layer ->Thunderhawk Blue highlight but that’s just my guess

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Drone posted:

2.) was very on the fence about using the Flesh Wash as it came out very red after applying and drying... but it was the only brownish wash I had that wasn't Agrax Earthshade, and I didn't want it to be nearly that dark... I like my Deathwing to be very creamy. I think it worked out quite well on the final product though, but next time I would really like to get a nice hazely/coffee color wash somehwere. Any recos?

Seraphim Sephia or AP Soft Tone might what you're looking for then. They're both light brown washes

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

Just downloaded the Brushrage app which seems like it could be a useful tool for tracking paints and what paints I'm using for what models etc. Anyone else use this or have a different app they like for painting adjacent stuff?

fake edit: already have the citadel app

I'm a big fan of the impcat app. It lets you try out paint schemes with base/layer/shade/highlight and gives you an overview of different paint ranges. However, you need to download models (if you want GW models and the like) and paint ranges uploaded by other users since the app only has a small handful of independent sculpts. This also means that the range of models are kinda limited. But it's real good for thinking up space marine schemes.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

How easy/is it possible for me to download Aeldari models like wraithguard, farseers, wraithlord, dire avengers? Looks like the app is only available for $$ and while I could buy and then refund figured I'd ask first :)

The current models available is gathered in this MEGA maintained by the impcat subreddit. I'm afraid I don't see any Aeldari :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Thanks. I went looking for how one would add a mini to the app and the creators say "even knowing how to do this it takes an entire day" (paraphrasing) - http://impcat.design-bench.com/svg.html

Since I'm not great with PS I'll give it a pass for now I think.

Yeah, it's a shame it's so difficult adding models, it's really the app's major weakness