Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

krushgroove posted:

I'm working on a 'what brush to use' section right now, but these are the things I'd like to add to the OP at some point:

Is this a what type of brush size to use for certain applications or is this more of a run down of brush brands and types?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

enri posted:

Kickstarter here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wamp/wamp-select-series-paintbrushes

Called the 'Select Series', the basic entry level pledge is £20 (disregarding the obligatory £1 to open up add-ons) and you get 4 brushes as their 'starter set' - another £7 gets you brush soap and the choice of a bamboo roll or a brush case. They're UK based too which I was surprised at, I always thought the WAMP lot had set up in the US but apparently I'm completely wrong. Free postage is in there somewhere too.

If I'm reading their kickstarter with shipping to the US and conversion they look cheaper than buying winsor's of the same size.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I'll add brands in the near future but after the paint section is the new brush section. It's mostly what type of brush to use as well as different types of brushes. The only brand mentioned so far is GW, and not really in a fully positive light.

Cool I'm in the place looking for some brushes and I don't want to pay Winsor prices but I also don't want crap. So i've been looking around on Amazon for something in between. So far i've settled on a set that are 'model painter' brand I found on Amazon but I can't really find any reviews on them?

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

If I were to use acrylic medium and distilled water to thin my paints what's a suggested ratio?

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Question for those of you that zenithal prime: do you do any edge highlighting at all? I'm working on these red Eldar and zenithal primed them but wonder if edging the armor with orange will help them 'pop'.

Unrelated question about zenithal priming.

Are you just applying washes/thin layers of paint on top of this to keep the zenithal effect?

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Is there a difference between acrylic medium and flow improver?

The acrylic medium I have is white-ish, is this pigment that will lighten the color I mix it with? Mixing 1 to 1 I haven't noticed it significantly changing the color.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

I recently found my old Badger 105 in the garage from like 12 years ago. I think I got it when I was into modeling and had a hard time figuring it out so I put it away forever to be forgotten...

I took it apart and the needle and siphon cup had some paint in it I soaked them in Simple green and ran some air and paint through it. Everything seems fine, it sprays albeit very wide but mechanically it all works. Is there anything else I should take apart and clean/check etc? Does it need to be lubed or anything?

I ordered a medium and a fine needle/tip and some Vallejo primer that says it's already thinned for air brushes. The intention is to start using it for priming and base colors and then maybe get finer more detailed as I get the hang of it.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Airbrush questions! I want to use my current compressor and tank I have in the garage. It's already got a regulator on it but I see a lot of people talking about driers and filters etc? I can get a cheap regulator with a water trap and probably Q/D it at both ends to go from my standard hose to the airbrush hose but if it's not worth the trouble I'd rather not.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sauer posted:

You want a moisture trap because water spitting out of your airbrush is annoying with lacquer or enamels and will ruin acrylic finishes.

Thanks for the advice I'll probably pick one up and then spend some time bitching about air fittings and adapters.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

HardCoil posted:

I tried some tube cutting stuff.

I did most with small metal mitre box+saw and then sanding. In the end I finally tried the tube cutter, using the trick with a smaller tube inside the one I was cutting. It seems to be a good technique, both when cutting all the way through, but also for just scoring and then cutting by other means to avoid crushing.
Incidently it's also very useful for creating lascannon coils:

Scale is not perfect, but I'm happy with it for now.

Im assuming that's just the smallest pipe cutter you could find and not something modeling specific?

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

What brands of varnish do people recommend if I'm running it through an airbrush? Is it worth just getting a spray can of something instead?

I've seen some people in the thread discuss using varnish as a way to 'save your progress' then continue painting on top if it.

I'm assuming that the varnish layer will hold up to some abuse from water and a paper towel but what about some simple green? Or if I need to remove something and water isn't cutting it but I don't want to gently caress up the varnish or layers of paint under it?

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

You said you used a 50:50 Wash to Water ratio. If you have a 'wash' then it's already thinned enough and you're separating out the pigments as someone mentioned.

I would take an old toothbrush with a little soap and scrub the model then try the wash without any additional thinning after it's dried.

A lot of the Xwing painters I see always mention using Nuln Oil from GW and get results like this:

http://warteacher.blogspot.com/2013/03/ffg-x-wing-ship-repaints-revenge-of.html

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

I've got my eye on a Krome or a Sotar. The Badger Anthem has been great for base coating but I want something with a gravity feed to do finer detail. I might try to grab a patriot just to have a gravity fed base brush. There is some inefficiency with the siphon feed and small amounts of paint. I need to see if it's possible to just buy a Patriot body and attach all the Anthem pieces as they seem interchangeable.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Have you considered getting a paint cup or two for your Anthem? That's what I use for small amounts and it works great

I have one and even angling it seems like I need to put more paint into it to get it to siphon up and spray.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Today's mini-conversion, Herald of Nurgle on a "palanquin."

Gotta get the most out of each kit. Probably going to use the spare Maggoth parts for when I finally get a Soulgrinder.

The crotch saddle spike is fortunately/unfortunately positioned.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

cool. at 25psi'ish should I be aiming for a certain ratio to thin it. Ive always been going for a milk consistency

You probably want to be slightly thinner than milk. You could buy some of the specific airbrush paints, drop them as is and or compare with what you're thinning to.

I just started the airbrush thing and I went and bought my blocking colors in the air brush version of my paint range to avoid having to thin large batches of paint.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

After browsing around on kingdom death site I'm not sure if I should be more horrified that the site exists or that their miniatures are all pretty much sold out.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

I thought that a krylon primer actually had some texture to them? Since when priming larger things the texture is helping your subsequent layers adhere, but when dealing with minis the texture is just destroying the detail? Or something...

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Hixson posted:

pro x-post from the 40k thread:

I'm really digging the paint job on the Javelin, everything looks great. Also glad to see that there is a SM vehicle that isn't a box with wheels or wings attached, the over all aesthetic is nice.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Phi230 posted:

So this primer is a gloss primer. I'm gonna try to restart completely with a flat primer. What's the best technique to strip primer?

Your original pick was pretty blurry so I couldn't tell if the primer looked off. Did you wash them before priming? As mentioned a soak in some diluted green and scrub with a toothbrush will get you back to square one. Are you spray priming or brush priming? You'd probably have to try pretty hard to over prime, if your paint is running on off the model or pooling that'san indicator. Usually a few passes with a rattle can from about a foot and some change away does the trick.

Also you might want to take a knife to the mold lines like on his hat etc...

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Watch a few more videos on people applying wash to a miniature to get it down. The great thing about a wash is you can usually just wipe it off and reapply or soak up the excess if you loaded too much on the brush.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

If this one bothered you don't watch his video on wet palettes

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

Basically the trick is pre-shading: I start with a gray seer undercoat, then a wash of basically thinned-down Nuln Oil? (Actually a mix of VMC black ink, smoke and matte medium, but eh.) Then a heavy white drybrush, then the Contrast goes on. (The white bits of the ghouls and the crusader are just the pre-shaded base, without contrast over the top.) It's really nuts how easy it is to get good results - most of these units took like 2-3 days tops, with none of the stress of blending and what have you. I honestly dread thinking of painting with acrylics again.

So you'r using the wash/drybrush to create more contrast under the contrast paint coat - have you tried with zenithal priming?

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Gameko posted:

The best thing about following this and the 40k thread is how some questions get mirrored.

Zenithal tends to create shadow areas that are too deep with contrast.

I went looking and found that Miniac has a gallery of zenithal tests with gw contrast paints.

This was linked off his zenithal tutorial on youtube.
https://imgur.com/a/awx69Md

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Drone posted:

I've painted off and on again over the years (usually a couple minis, and then I put my paints away and don't touch them for 1-2 years), and have never really done anything that I can say I'm really happy with (because I usually shelve the hobby before I get the chance to really practice it).

Now I'm not entirely sure where I want to go from here, and have a few things I'd like opinions on because I'm having a hard time visualizing this:

1.) The PPC on the right arm and the lasers on the chest... I have no clue what to do about these guys. I have some kind of irrational dislike for metallic paints for some reason, especially since I don't really see how I might approach the PPC and the lasers in a way that isn't just "slap some Leadbelcher on them and call them done". I really want to make these more interesting, but I'm not entirely sure how, so they're all just still basecoated black. For the PPC I'm probably going to work in a bit of cannon scorching (or maybe a blueish glow on the end?), but beyond that I'm a little lost.

2.) I'm really tempted to go a step further in my brightening and go with an even brighter, bolder orange on the plating over the Beasty Brown, and then edge highlight it with a pale yellow. Would also mean making the green arms much more bold along with it. Thoughts? Should I try any kind of gradient blending on the armor plates, which is something I've never really done before? Sorta like trying to make the entire 'Mech NMM or something?

3) Help me pick a jewel color effect for the cockpit glass? Something that looks nice with the overall orange/green scheme I have going on. Blue? Red? Amber? Or just straight-up black?

I like the color scheme you're going with.

A few suggestions:

I would probably go with a gray or some sort metallic option for the muzzles of the PPC/Lasers, then dry brush some black from the muzzle back. Give you that kinda blackened from heat effect. You can find other options besides metallic paints to get the look.

I think some edge highlighting like you're planning would be good as well. I think between the base color, a wash, and some highlighting you'll get the contrast you want.

A black wash to pick out your panel lines would be good.

I would go back and try and clean up the paint bleed around the lasers on it's chest and LRM ports.

You could dry brush some grime from the feet up.

You could dry bursh some sort of raw metal color on bits to simulate paint scrapes etc...

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Drone posted:

I put a couple more hours work into my Battlemaster. Not 100% done yet, but feeling better about it now than I was earlier.

Overall I'd call it not bad for a few years since my last mini, and probably only like my.. seventh or eighth mini overall.

Looking good. I really love Btech and the whole franchise, I just wish the minis were better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Any tips for bringing old paints back to life?

I picked up a nail polish bottle shaker/agitator and some hematite beads. Was thinking trying a couple drops of water and maybe a couple of drops of flow improver or the like then shake the poo poo out of them.