Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Moola posted:

Finding it harder to get a worn looking silver statue effect

Washes arent really showing up, and I seem to end up with either really bright shiny silver or dark gunmetal

Those two were boltgun metal spray, with the lightest metal I got dry brushed on top

Was thinking maybe spraying black and dry brushing metal might look better?

How do you feel about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tenasscity posted:

Do you guys have a storage solution for Dropper bottles? I have like 50 of them I've mixed paint and washes into, and I was wondering if any of you have found a good storage system that goes beyond a plastic bin with a lid.

Vallejo paint case or Reaper paint cases

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Moola posted:

I like this

How do?

Montana Black Ink (metallic) (basecoat)

Ghost tint brown sprayed

Didi's Magic Ink sprayed to darken (use your favorite black wash or whatever)

Drybrush with citadel griffon gold

Drybrush with citadel necron compound

Montana Black Ink is an alcohol ink that is actually made for markers. You can get 25ml refills for 4 bucks or so and it is the smoothest metallic I know of that you can still paint on top of.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

I mounted pegboard on my wall and got some nail polish racks from Amazon and mounted those on the pegboard. Works great.

Oh, if we're talking permanent storage solutions then I like an Ikea Alex drawer unit with a pick and pluck foam insert

but I might be obsessive

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

I like this idea. The only downside I see is a lot of wasted space due to the pluck foam walls.

It's only a problem if you have hundreds upon hundreds of paints, fortunately.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I love Ikea. I highly recommend them for making painting desks. I have a massive painting desk made entirely of Ikea poo poo that was pretty cheap to make and has tons of storage.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Electric Hobo posted:

Vallejo has a metallic medium, but I don't know how good it is.

It mutes colors reaaaaaally badly.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeast posted:

Hey all

I'm thinking about getting back into painting space dollies, and have a somewhat weird question.

I moved cities 9 months ago, and my old house mate was nice enough to let me leave all my hobby gear at his place where I more or less forgot about it. I'm flying back there in a few days, and will need to pack it all up and send it to myself. I was wondering if it'd be possible to box up some of it and put it on my return flight as checked luggage. Has anyone flown with paints (in this case the post 2012 GW) before? Is it doable, or are they all going to have pressure issues and blow up?

Don't cheap out on the bottles, get highly flexible plastic with very tight fitting lids.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

jodai posted:

Alternatively, miniature market has begun selling Game Plus products. The basic bag is $34.99 and it holds 14.5 inches of foam. Each tray is $7.75. So it's pretty cheap in comparison and it seems decent but I have no personal experience.

As a side note, GamePlus uses the standard 7.5x13 sheet, and a single KRU is 15x10. This means that if you cut 3" off a GamePlus sheet it becomes a half-width KR sheet. You just have to glue the bottom a bit. I use this solution when I need a shape that KR doesn't stock.

I could go on for pages about storage

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I disagree with Bulbasaur, because I use KR's bags. KR Multicase boxes fit perfectly into KR Multicase bags. This includes fractions, such as fitting 4 KRQ boxes into any bag that fits a single KRU box.

Also, that rant he linked ended up not even using KR foam, which has different dimentions than Blu/Gameplus/Sabol dimensions. For someone who says you should only buy if you don't want to research, it's a horribly documented article. Furthermore, these days you can buy a Gameplus bag that holds 14 inches of foam for a whopping 35 bucks. On top of that the metal case won't hold books without rattling around inside the box with your minis. Buy a bag. It holds books and dice and poo poo. It's good.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 2, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

I just feel containers from foam companies aren't very good deals. Especially the higher end stuff and when you consider alternatives.

I almost used KR for my project, but I decided against it because I found larger foam trays for less money. If you’re ok figuring out the dimensions on your own you can find other ways to transport them that do more for less. If you don’t have the time, that’s another thing entirely. I just couldn’t justify paying $30 for an empty box.

You should've paid the extra 10 to get foam too. I know it's really unintuitive but KR's prices come out much better if you buy foam AND a box instead of one or the other.

Always Buy Bespoke

You're right as far as the metal case is concerned, but no one should be buying the metal cases in my opinion

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Sabol cases are nothing but GamePlus/Blu foam that's not as pretty

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Super 3 posted:

I've got my eye on a Krome or a Sotar. The Badger Anthem has been great for base coating but I want something with a gravity feed to do finer detail. I might try to grab a patriot just to have a gravity fed base brush. There is some inefficiency with the siphon feed and small amounts of paint. I need to see if it's possible to just buy a Patriot body and attach all the Anthem pieces as they seem interchangeable.

Have you considered getting a paint cup or two for your Anthem? That's what I use for small amounts and it works great

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

It looks ghetto as gently caress, but it works.

Or make one that uses a drill like Lumbering Troll did. (I can't find the post).

How does this compare to the badger mini paint mixer though

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

OneTrueBru posted:

Holiday time at last. Finished off a tester from the Operation: Icestorm newbie box -

These are fun to paint, but a pain to prep. I'm not used to pewter at all.

This is amazing

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

Any of you need have a magic recipe for thinning paint in an airbrush? I've been having pretty big clogging issues and can't quite figure out what the problem is. Lately I've been thinking with airbrush medium but have heard doing retarder might help out as well.

Also been having issues spraying varnish, but I have done a pretty consistent job cleaning it afterwards as spraying water through it afterwards works perfectly.

I'd like this as well, so far my solution is just to use airbrush paint.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

An Angry Bug posted:

Jesus Christ, eyes are hard to paint. It doesn't help when depth perception seems to be actively loving with me. Try to paint white next to the pupil? Nope, eyebrow!

Layer order is what solves this problem, isn't it?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Direwolf posted:

Hey guys,

Any recommendations on setup for a painting space? I recently moved and have been setting up my apt and am just getting back into modeling / painting and I don't really have a good space in my apartment set up to hold paints/brushes/supplies and have space/lighting for actually painting the models. My default would be to just get a cheap table but it'd be nice to have a designated space and I was wondering if other people have a particular maybe desk or other thing they use.

Is this deskchat now? Oh poo poo

Fresh

Under heavy use

Ikea owns

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Thoughts on Montana Gold as primer? I've been tempted to shift to them as I have a street art supply nearby but I was wondering what people's opinions was.

Too stipply for me

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Thoughts on Montana Gold as primer? I've been tempted to shift to them as I have a street art supply nearby but I was wondering what people's opinions was.

If you want I can spray a few minis and take some pictures. I have like 12 cans of Montana Gold and Black just hanging around.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What kind of spray pattern should I be looking for in a spraypaint tip for base coating?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Montana Black on Vallejo Surface Primer

Montana Gold on bare restic

Montana Gold on top of Black on top of Bonesium

Montana Black on Bonesium

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I just used stock caps for that. I think the Gold went on a little thick, but the Black went on just as thick and kept the texture. The texture on most of it is from using a Bones model I think. I can keep testing with poo poo, I've got all kinds of caps and spare minis.

Any requests for material and spray type?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Pyrolocutus posted:

I was curious so I googled it and it seems that Montana is a paint brand with Black and Gold being particular...formulations? covering a range of colors, rather than colors themselves.

I have nothing to help with the OP's quandary, just clarifying ^:shobon:^

Correct. Gold is an acrylic spraypaint that has low pressure and stands out for surface adhesion. You can use it on pretty much any surface you want. It's also CFC free!

Black is not acrylic-based and dries incredibly fast, making it ideal for cold weather spraypainting.

Both are available in something like 200 colors for around 8 bucks a can at dick blick, and take a wide variety of caps. Unfortunately though they do not take well to decanting, so brush-on is a no-go. I've tried several methods and you simply cannot make it work.

Paint markers are also great. The Montana paint marker line takes regular acrylic paint like a champ (great for futzing around on terrain) as well as having a great lineup of stock colors.

Montana Black ink is alcohol-based and incredibly fast drying, but very much like a candy paint. The exception to this is the Strong Black ink, which I use to paint the rims of my bases.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

BlackIronHeart posted:

I've got a can of Montana Black as well as a paint marker refill (both Boston green) coming in from good ol' Dick Blick and I was going to see if it'll be a quicker way to basecoat some Salamanders Space Marines. Got any Marines to test on?

I don't have space marines, but I found some sprues that are Actual Plastic.

Gold

Black

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

ijyt posted:

The black definitely looks like a smoother finish, but personally I probably wouldn't use either.

Agreed, it is a very poor substitute for an airbrush. Also if you have an airbrush you can color match. I do use spraypaint for terrain though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Followup on Montana spray paint

I left alone the stuff that I sprayed about a week ago. The finish is better now, but still a little toothy. I would be willing to use the Black line of paints as primer for miniatures.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'd say start with bones if only because you don't have to loving pin anything. Assembly could easily be a huge turnoff.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I like to use graffiti ink for my rims. One coat, no muss no fuss, no paint to get worn off.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Before I say what I did here, what do you think of this effect?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Badly shaken transparent white spraypaint

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Welp. Think you should strip the primer off and try again, because it looks bad with that texture on it.

I think I can play it off as snow (if I do it to everything)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Are you from a tropical region?

Snow only looks like that under very specific cases for about 5 minutes. It then either melts or piles up.

As a former Mainer, I would not appreciate your misrepresentation of my state's greatest natural resource.

I am from Atlanta, so sort of

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah but that poo poo is yellow man

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Nah I'm gonna repaint it anyway. This was a tester. What I'm actually trying to do is find out if I can use this stuff as a post-color zenithal. I'm gonna shake it up good next time and see if I can get a smooth layer on.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

If you are at Gencon and don't stop by the Badger booth for 80+ bottles of paint for $100, you are insane. That is all.

Is it Minitaire?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Please do not buy Minitaire paint.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I made the mistake of buying the set. "It's so cheap and I love the colors!" Well turns out it's cheap because it's loving cheap. Not only is it not very good paint, it also has very strange quirks. For example, for some reason VMA metallics pool on them and vice versa. Why? Who loving knows!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

crime fighting hog posted:

Whoa, I had no idea. I have a set of the ghost tints because I bought into the hyped up video reviews. I've used the red one on on a dragon and it was OK but I wasn't super blown away. Figure I'll find a use for them sometime.
Guess I'll stick to Vallejo.

They're ok for terrain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

SRM posted:

Well yeah, but so are craft paints from Michael's.

At 100 bucks for 80 bottles there's not much difference in price either, fancy that