Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

evenworse username posted:

So thank you to the lovely people in here who suggested using purple wash to shade red; it appears to be voodoo. This thread rules.

Is there an equivalent unholy magic for blue?

A dark violet should work. That's what I would use if I was drawing in color.

Based on what I remember from an advanced drawing class years ago, these are generally the colors you want to use to tint or shade your color:

Yellow: white for tints, brown for shades
Orange: yellow or white for tints, brown or red for shades
Red: white or pink for tints, violet or blue for shades
Violet: white or red for tints, blue or black for shades
Blue: white for tints, black for shades
Green: yellow or white for tints, blue or black for shades

Something to consider when working with color is that you can use adjacent colors on the color wheel to lighten or darken your base color. Pure hues also have a natural value to them, meaning that some colors are naturally lighter or darker than others. Yellow is brighter than violet. Blue is darker than orange. If you gradually add violet to a red, you can create a more painterly and natural shadow. Also, complimentary colors will neutralize each other when they are mixed. Mixing blue with orange will create a brown. Mixing all three primary colors will also neutralize into a brown as well. Neutralizing colors just a little bit with their compliments is a good way to mix a more natural color, like adding a little bit of red to a green to create a forest green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm trying out a blue/white/green color scheme on these genestealers. I primed them in white, washed over them with a dark blue, and am going over them again with a white drybrush. I'm mainly trying to get them table quality and have only done these two models. I'm looking for feedback.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How do you pin all that stuff together, anyway? I've tried using sticky tack but it doesn't hold on to the plastic very well.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

w00tmonger posted:

Painting a bunch of skin-tone for a dude but its coming out a bit similar to his copper armor.

Any quick fix to differentiate it and make it a bit less orange? Really like the paint job and don't want to start that part over again...

Use blue in places where there would be shadow and that should help a little. It doesn't help that copper is already a pretty neutralized color and so is human skin.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Am I crazy for wanting to prime models using Liquitex spray paint instead of Krylon? Besides the difference in price, that is.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Candy Land 40K

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Stuff I painted this weekend:

I have the absolute worst lighting at home without taking it all outside on a clear day.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You could try scoring the surfaces that you're applying the glue to. Also don't use very much.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

spectralent posted:

I kind of want to do a digital camo scheme on some near-future sci fi vehicles I'm painting; something like this.

My issue is A: The vehicles are 6mm and B: I can't even paint straight lines let alone pixel boxes. Is there any trick I could use to generate a similar effect or is the advice just going to have to be paint-based "get good"?

For miniatures of vehicles that small, I would use some kind of rubber block that's a square to stamp on to the surface.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

There's definitely stamps that would have that shape, but I'm not sure they'd work great with paint and on uneven surfaces.

I've made cuts from rubber blocks for printmaking projects and used acrylic paint with them before, so I believe that it's doable. I just don't know how easy it would be on something like a 6mm tank, but it was the best conclusion I could think of on the spot.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Black rims thug lyfe

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Ugh. There are days when painting models that I think everything I ever learned during my career as an art major about painting needs to be thrown out the window.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I saw a set of markers at a hobby store yesterday called Gundam Markers.

Does anyone have experience using markers like these?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Well, I have a pile of Sakura Pigma Microns already. I've even taken a few of the brush tipped pens to sandpaper so I can get a dry brush effect out of them. I've just never seen paint markers like these Gundam Markers before. They'd probably be pretty nice to have for painting flames and stuff on Salamanders vehicles.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

IMO for that specific case (flame designs), you get more control out of a brush.

My drawing career begs to differ, but whatever. I think I'll just get a white one for writing tags on my vehicles.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There is nothing more terrifying than the scorn of fifty goons over your chosen brand of paint and model storage.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

signalnoise posted:

I have a small room that I'm turning into my hobby room, for painting minis or whatever else. I need to paint the walls, and it has a low-hanging fluorescent shop light in there. Do you think that the wall color would mess with my perception of color on my minis?

Possibly. The color of the walls can be reflected on to everything else in the room and tint it just ever so slightly. It's much more apparent in photography when you photograph models or any kind of fine art for documentation. But I doubt that it would do much to your perception of color. I'd just paint the walls in some kind of neutral color.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Crossposting from the 40k thread:

Star Man posted:

Welp, my project this week is to get this image painted on to a space marine command squad banner:

Wish me luck.

Have most of my colors blocked in. Now comes the fun part of doing all the poo poo I've ever learned as an oil painter on such a tiny format.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Silhouette posted:

I just want you to know that I support your endeavor 1000%.

Please tell me your commander is named Lord or Road British

Well, it is now.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's pretty amateur-ish, but I'll live with it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

head58 posted:

Any advice on paint color/combination of colors to get that peachish, pinkish, reddish desert stone look like you see in Bryce or Zion Canyons? (Reference: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Delicate_arch_sunset.jpg)

Off the top of my head: mix all three primary colors together at different ratios. Go mostly for red and yellow and a little bit of blue to neutralize. Making browns like this is the best way to mix natural neutral colors.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
One day I'm going to make an effort post on mixing colors and all the things I learned in color theory. You too will learn the horrors of trying match the color of cardboard.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
rawr

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Sometimes, while working with green stuff, I have to resist the urge to eat this green tacky stuff that makes me want to think it's taffy.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GreenMarine posted:

Martian Skitarii have a sort of white checker pattern lining their red robes

They're cogs.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

If it weren't for that base, this would look like it was a still from a movie.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Trying something different tonight. I have a terminator chaplain and the chaplain from the Reclusian Command Squad boxset. My space marines are Salamanders, so these chaplains are going to have some degree of green on them. Since black is a difficult color to paint effectively on models, I'm going to try something I've learned as an oil painter.

In oil and acrylic painting, black is also a very strong color and using a pure black is generally not recommended. A more natural black is a little warm or cold, so you would add a red, blue, or violet to it to make it a little more natural. That or mix a few colors together to make a natural black. So I've put on a kelly green base for both models and am applying a liberal amount of black wash over the green. I suppose that I could have used a pure black and just painted a green highlight on the corners and edges of the armor, but let's see where this goes.

EDIT: Oh god what the hell was I thinking?

Star Man fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 11, 2015

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cyclomatic posted:

Painting black, or even greys, tends to straight kick my rear end. I really wish I could figure out the trick of it.

Well, I conceded and just painted over what I had with black and am going to go over the corners with Warpstone Glow. If I paint another Salamanders chaplain, I'm going to mix a little red with the black to make it warm and see what I get.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Self-mutilation

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Iron Crowned posted:

The fact that you are using GW products is torment enough

Hey, I'm trying to use them up before I completely convert to Vallejo.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
True dat. I like their hobby box and washes. I like the darker color that Gehenna's Gold is over the bright Vallejo golds, but that might just be a matter of finding the right combination of washes to use Vallejo gold with to match that hue. But I think the only reason that I have the plastic CItadel cup was because I was lazy and didn't want to save a spaghetti sauce jar.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Vulkan He'stan with banner.

This is the unspiration thread, right?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BULBASAUR posted:

I dunno, I find it really easy. Grab a pot, put some on a plastic CD case or something, then paint away. You don't even need to worry about it drying up because alcohol will bring alive even dried alachol paint. About the only thing I do any different (outside of the synethic brushes, which you definitely do need) is add alachol to the palette every five minutes or so.

It's definitely different and its totes ok to like other paints better, but I don't think it's as hard as we're making it sound.

How fast do you think alcohol paints would dry out in bone dry Colorado or Wyoming?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BULBASAUR posted:

Probably five minutes or so. Sounds fast, but it isn't that bad.

Keep in mind that they don't 'dry out' like acrylics. An acrylic is useless after it dries. Alcohol paints will come right back to life with a few drops of alcohol and agitation. The longer it's dried the more agitation is required.

Okay. It's a kind of paint that I've never used before and I've wondered about trying it out by getting a kelly green and painting a squad of Salamanders with it. Do alcohol paints separate from each other like acrylic and oil paints do after a while?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Hauki posted:

and here I thought Denver was pretty humid compared to where I grew up

I never seem to notice the humidity, but that might be because I'm used to it. But I'm from Wyoming, so you'd think that I would notice it pretty easily.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I finished my terminators and chaplains last night. Enjoy some crappy cell phone pictures because my digital camera bit the dust.

And a bonus image of my cramped little drawing table:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Y'all might learn a thing or two about painting in this stream: http://www.twitch.tv/bobross

edit: I'm actually serious about this. Might learn a thing about mixing colors if that's something anyone in this thread struggles with.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 30, 2015

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
realtalk: I am a thick-on-thin painter and paint my space marines that way. It's how I learned to do oil painting and I can't seem to get over it for miniatures. I don't thin my paints with water once I've given them their primer and a thin layer of color.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Floppychop posted:

Anyone have good suggestions for a premade wash for pale skin?

I have Reikland Fleshshade, but it's a bit too orange for what I'm going for.

I'm trying to paint some Malifaux minis, specifically the hired swords box. I'm debating on traditional base coat + wash. Or just thinning my flesh paint to glaze and letting the zenithal priming do its work.

I'm only going for tabletop quality, not exactly needing showcase level detail.

Have you tried using a red wash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Finished my Sternguard Veterans today and got around to basing my techmarine and venerable dreadnought. Except for the veteran holding the heavy flamer, the rest have magnets in their wrists so I can swap combi weapons.