Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finally finished the homemade Blood Rage token that I posted about a million years ago! I ended up making a 2-part mold since I added some detail on the back of it.

I was a little worried since my silicone was incredibly viscous, but the details came out fine.
Too bad the bottom of this cast came out hollow. I've changed the mold a bit so it should flow in there more easily.

Thing learned through all this: loving think about the order I do things in. Don't add stuff before detailing, just slap stuff, like the horns, on top of the details. Warm the silicone to room temperature to make it flow better. Keep the cats out of the room when you pour silicone. Your girlfriend WILL notice that small patch of fur you had to trim because it wanted to play with the stick you used to mix the silicone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cross post from the oath thread.
I'm getting happy with my yellow, but I still hate painting the tartan.
The token doesn't look too out of place compared to the other Blood Rage tokens, but I might end up painting them completely green with a wash and a highlight.

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath complete!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Beerdeer posted:

Does anyone know a source for not-Doctor Who models? A lot of the old reliables have gone poof. I really want a 9th Doctor chronomancer for Frostgrave
I just ordered a couple of models from https://eoeorbis.com/. Doesn't look like they have the 9th Doctor, but they have almost everything else.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I painted up a couple of Confrontation minis for one of my buddies. He wanted them colorful. The skulls on the bases need a bit more work, then I'll call these done.
The Executioner:

Sasia Samaris - The Rose of the Sands:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm trying here since it doesn't look like the board game thread is the right place for it: Can anyone who has played Blood Rage or other CMON games comment on how the minis scale compared to 28-32mm minis? I'm hoping the Rising Sun minis are decent enough for scale to use for KOW or frost grave, but in my experience board game minis tend to be on a ~25ish mm scale.
They're actually pretty large.

Mantic skeleton, Blood Rage normal guy and official Frostgrave model in front. Hordes heavy warbeast and Blood Rage big guy in the back.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Really digging the red-purple cloak coloring you have here, that's pretty funky and not super easy to do and it looks pretty cool and even kinda subtle.
Thanks! It took a lot of glazing :) I like it as an un-natural colorscheme, so I might go for something similar for a KoW undead army.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Does anyone have color recommendations for yellowish skin? Preferably of the Reaper/Vallejo variety? I have plenty of reds which is fine for a lot of applications but I need yellowish skin for these figures I want to paint in a fashionable Jojo style.
I think Vallejo gamecolor bronze fleshtone is a good starting point. It's pretty yellow, but it's easy to darken it with brown or lighten it with white/ivory.
I just did this guy's skin with those colors.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

Hey guys. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any good iridescent or color shifting airbrush paints?

I just got Alarielle for my birthday, and I want to paint the beetle in a way where it is black, but has a purple or blue shine to it, similar to real life beetles.

Spaz Stix makes some pretty cool paints for this. Here's a video showing it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FsxJwSDx4g.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

Necron Lord is complete.
It's already a cool guy, but I support changing it. It'll still look cool, and it'll separate the figure from the base a bit more.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Those are great! What did you use for the skin?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The whole thread posted:

Lots of cool stuff recently!
Loving it!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like Scale 75's flesh set and Vallejo's malefic flesh set. Vallejo also have a fairy flesh set, but I have tried it or looked that closely at it. Scale 75's is normal human skin, while Vallejo's are for fantasy races.
Pretty much all models I post here have skin made with Scale 75 paints.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My boy, Mortibris, is ready to command my Kings of War skeleton army. If I ever get around to making it, that is.
I think I'll enter this one in Mantic's current painting competition, because why the hell not? Just noticed that I forgot to add a little color to his lips, so I'll do that first.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Anyone know where to find basing material like these? I could use some colorful flowers on my bases.

https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2017/05/12/painted-temple-of-ro-kan-reinforcements-for-bushido/

I bought this for making my own flowers http://www.modelscenerysupplies.co.uk/scatter-flock-ground-cover-trees-and-bushes/flowers/Blossom-Flowering-Fine-Turf
Just sprinkle over glue for nice flowers.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Well, purple is a powerful color after all.

Thank you. Any idea for the reeds?
Buy some long haired lovely paintbrushes, dip them in green and wipe them off, then cut the hairs to the length you want.
The store i linked also has rubberised coconut fibres which probably works too. Just search for coir.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I agree with this. You should know that the dark one is called Necro Gold. The Negro Gold that you seen in the clip is an unfortunate typo that I'm pretty sure they have fixed on newer bottles.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

That's not a typo - that would be "Black" Gold.
Qouting myself here to show the Spanish name:

Electric Hobo posted:

They call it Necro Gold everywhere except on the label.
Scale 75 calls it Necro Gold on their webstore as well.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Weird, negro is spanish for black, would almost think necro is the typo.

It's kinda makes sense in their naming scheme. Viking Gold is very red, Elven Gold very yellow, and Dwarven Gold somewhere in between. Necro Gold isn't actually that dark, but has a slightly green tinge so it looks like "evil" gold. They should probably just have called it Necrotic Gold, which I think is closer to the Spanish name as well.
I only brought it up because I've seen a few people searching for Black Gold and getting annoyed because no-one has it.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oath thread cross post!
There is a "do all the challenges on a single mini" challenge this season, so everything is piled on this guy.
I'll probably repaint the sword, I just needed some freehand, and as much as I like the idea of heads on fire, I should either drop the blue heads or go for much larger flames.

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath complete!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What do people use as a black backdrop when taking pictures? I have some black paper but it's too reflective. I'd much prefer the background to just look pitch black.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

matte black cloth, put your lights on the sides of the model, bounce light back into the miniature with a reflective white surface below.
Okay! I'm not completely sure what the setup should look like, but I think I get the concept. Thanks.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I put what you all said together and pulled Ghost Prider back out. Then I forgot to turn on macro so it's blurry as hell, but the background is the whole point here.

Not too bad. I used an old t-shirt and a black Steel Pad from when I was an annoying gamer kid instead of an annoying mini painting grown man.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there some way I can dilute a paint to being translucent without decreasing the viscosity? I'm trying to give stuff a glowing effect but my paint keeps running into low points.
You can use glaze medium, matte medium, gloss medium, matte or gloss varnish in a pinch. You can use straight water if you don't have too much paint on your brush.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oath thread crosspost:

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath complete!

I think my undead bases are getting to a good place. I made some bismuth crystals to use as rocks to show that these guys are living in a weird place.
Also tried out the Ammo oilbrusher on the shields. It's much thicker that I thought it would be, so it covers everything pretty heavily even after I spread it out.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oath thread cross post:

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath complete!

Unrelated, I picked up a bunch of models in a unplaceable goods auction. One of the models is that stupidly big AoS Nagash model, but, annoyingly, it's missing it's head. Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement head that fits in and doesn't cost a fortune?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bistromatic posted:

Lead casting time!
What kind of sand do you use? I'm interested in casting stuff in sand, but the real deal costs a fortune around here. I've read about several homemade mixes that are much more affordable, but I don't know how good they are.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oath thread cross post as usual:

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath complete!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Frobbe posted:

Painted up an inquisitor Greyfax that I'm happy with except her face. I think I'll paint a bunch of catachans next to practice me some skin.
The face is a little flat. Other than adding some darker color under the hat and cheekbones, you could paint the pupil as a vertical line and outline the eye with a darker color to make it look better with little effort. Maybe flatten the eye a little to further kill the staring look.
Looks good otherwise.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Arthil posted:

Went to a little painting class at the local game shop this evening. Not really too keen on posting the results, I know it's pretty sloppy though I think for my first time touching brush to mini it ain't the worst. Blending flew right over my head, but maybe I just didn't get to listen/watch closely enough. Seemed to pick up on how to do the wash, and dry brushing pretty easily though and am kind of proud of how nicely the rusted effect on metal I did turned out.

Just post it! Everybody starts out less than stellar.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Arthil posted:

First dude ever painted by Arthil!
Yeah, that's not bad at all for your first guy. Keep your paint thin, get your brush control down and consider not adding texture to your bases' rims but just paint them in a dark neutral color.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Crosspost from the oath thread and the no pressure thread:
These figures got half a paintjob 4 years ago when I started painting and I only managed to finish them now. And only because I'm selling the game.

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath complete!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

w00tmonger posted:

Good work man, I have mine partially painted in my backlog and at that scale those are really impressive
Hey, thanks man :)

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Posting my borderline finished Reavers everywhere.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

Crossposting from the Oath Thread.

All around, I'm pretty happy with how these three turned out, and it was a welcome reprieve from painting black armor.
They're really cool. What golds did you use for them?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

Okay, I worry that I'm headed for the other thread about posting horribly painted minis. I can't quite get flesh right. I would love some constructive criticism. https://imgur.com/a/4EylAkv

The base flesh tone is Vallejo Model Color Medium Flesh with a little red, brown, and yellow to tint.

I keep trying to use a sort of glaze/shade of the base with some extra brown on the underside and other shadow areas, and highlights of the base with some white. Whatever I end up doing it seems to just look like the base flesh color. I'm not sure if it's just the fact that the mini has a less-cheekbony or angular face but it just seems to elude me.

I have a few other Model Color flesh/skin colors so if I have to strip it, re-prime, and restart (or I could just tone over it) but if I have to get other colors, please keep it at Vallejo simply because my inventory apps display by brand.
Make sure that your shadow color actually is darker than you midtone, and not just browner. You really need some light/dark contrast for the colors to show on something as flat as a face.
I'd also suggest that you make your highlight colors with a bone ivory white, so it doesn't end up looking chalky. If your highligts don't show up, then lighten it some more.
Also, outline the eyes with an extra dark color to seperate them from the rest of the face and add more depth.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 13, 2018

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You could probably thin it a bit more, but It doesn't look too bad to me.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

After all the scale75 chat yesterday I ended up ordering a couple of sets off amazon. Looking forward to messing with them. I'm hoping the African and Indian shadows will help get some good fleshtones, it's hard to find stuff not aimed at caucasian skin and I want more variety than that.
I posted these guys a while ago. All the skin is made with the Scale75 flesh set + Army Painter soft tone. You can get a lot of variety out of it.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It took way too long but I finished Steelheart's Champions.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Oh man, I love that color scheme. If I ever get around to playing Shadespire I'm totally going to rip that off. :)
Just play the game, it's super great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Painted some Descent figures (very poorly) and I had a blast doing it. Are there any other figure heavy games that aren't... war games? I've never really played a war game and I'm guessing on the premise I wouldn't love it. Bonus points if you have a recommendation that is co-op. If I could play warhammer 40k co-op with my wife that would be amazing because the figures do look awesome...

Gloomhaven is co-op and a great game, but only comes with about 20 figures. Blood Rage and Rising Sun from Cool Mini or Not are non co-op boardgames with a ton of figures, and then there are all the Zombicide games, also from CMoN, which are co-op.