Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Lumpy posted:

Finished this a few weeks ago, but this was my entry into the Wyrd Games fall painting contest. Despite some "fun" during the process (do NOT use poster tack to mask for airbrushing... :cry:) I am super happy with how it came out.

Congrats! That was a huge number of votes compared to second place!

I slapped together the guitar ghost for the contest.

I've been messing with mixing something I can use like Contrasts out of stuff that I already have, and I think I'm getting to a good place with it. I used it on this one, and the bat monster I posted a while ago. It's just ink, Army Painter Quickeshade Wash Mixing Medium and a little water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Cross post from the Heresy thread!

Electric Hobo posted:

I painted! Alpha Legion Tartaros Librarian, and a Tartaros Command Squad. I'm trying to keep the time I spend on each pretty low. There are just so, so, many marines to paint.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I love a non-metallic XXth, and that dude running with the claws is fantastic.
Thanks! They were actually supposed to be metallic, but Azure dipping ink from greenstuffworld completely killed it. I like this bubblegum style better so I'm running with it.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Thirty-Three for Malifaux. I really enjoyed painting this little guy. Also, what's the easiest way to do image stacking when you have take pictures with an android phone? It's starting to annoy me that part of my photos are out of focus every time.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

on a different tangent, I'm following a set of directions that say "paint cloak, shade cloak but don't let it pool. relayer up high parts, but don't repaint cavities, by thinning your paint and working up to the original paint color"

I got to the "shade cloak but don't let it pool" but the relayering is not great. there is a hard line between the shade and the already thinned paint. Do I just have to....go even thinner? :thunk: I don't really understand how to get that hard line out. I'm guessing I just have to thin the paint till it barely makes any sort of color and work up from there, but that seems tedious

Looking at some youtubes, I see this person going about it slightly differently, but even still there's some hard lines there. Do you make the hard lines anyways but then give it a (in this case, red) wash over it to smooth it out? But that will just darken it back up again so it sounds like square one to me
Yeah, either go very thin, or highlight with a different color. Your original color might not work very well as a first highlight after shading, but you can glaze over it with a red to reduce the contrast a bit.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I love Marco, he's the reason I switched a huge part of my workflow to oils.
I'll always check out Vince if I need a tutorial for something, but his production values are painful.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Putrid Grin posted:

Let me know what you think!
They're cool. I really like Doom.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Chainclaw posted:

I don't get the draw of non metallic metals. It seems like a lot of work to get something that looks worse than just using metallic paints?
It's fun to do! You can get some incredible results and you have complete control of the reflections and look, but even a small mistake can ruin the effect.
It's just another way to paint metals, but I feel like it's still in the early stage of adoption, like when everyone made insanely blown out highlights with airbrushing.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

NMM for miniatures began in like the 90s because metallic paint sucked back then so I don't think it's quite in the early stage anymore
No, but I don't remember seeing people actually doing it until a few years ago. The earliest I remember seeing was Rackham miniatures, I think?
But what I meant was that it feels pretty new as a mainstream technique, at least to me.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Jonny Nox posted:

It was a thing in 2009 when it was all the rage here.

And Snakebite Leather was a paint color, and washes were newfangled things and people kept priming their minis in gesso.
Holy poo poo, well just disregard what I'm saying, I'm apparently completely out of the loop, and have no concept of time!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

You're probably getting tripped up by the pandemic causing an explosion on people getting into hobbies combined with the high visibility of instagram painters and YouTube tutorials leading to people trying their hand at NMM and sharing it on social media readily because everyone has a 10 megapixel camera in their pocket.

But yes everything old is new again, people are busting out the oil paints and model vehicle techniques and Marco Frisoni is trying to get viewers to look up 17th century masters for ideas on how to conceptualize and play with light on your models.

That's probably a part of it. I also didn't start painting until 2013-ish, so I have no memory of anything mini related before that.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I speedpainted a Breacher Kill Team. I printed both bases and models, but forgot to do it properly, so there are more lines a marks on them than there should be.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

probably the work of this little goblin who loves to walk on the hobby bench, though there is another long-hair who could be the culprit
Solid cat, post it in the cat thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3201527

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
What do you call the shredded sponge stuff that you use to make trees and bushes? I need some, and just can't remember.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
That seems very non-specific, but I'll give it a shot.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
This is exactly it! Thank you!
Edit: I finally remembered that it's often called clump foliage.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 20, 2023

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Heresy crosspost. I need a better setup for black background photos.

Electric Hobo posted:

My Contemptors are done! I'm pretty happy with them considering that I paint for speed on my entire army. Now I just need to paint all the extra weapons for them.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Mr Teatime posted:

So I have some titanicus minis I want to get around to painting and I keep seeing recommendations to paint the armour panels without removing them from the sprue. To the madmen who actually do this…what the heck do you do to the bare plastic that you then obviously wind up with when you snip them out. Surely it leaves a big obvious mark on your fancy painted trim? Do you just brush paint over it without primer….is that allowed?
Just prime the spot, then paint it. No need to break the law.
I cut all the parts out, but leave a piece of sprue to hold onto, so I only have to fix one spot.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Infiltration complete, no-one expects a thing.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
The most radical heretic in the legion.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Lumpy posted:

9/10. No purity seal that says "Do a kickflip!"
This is actually a great idea for an Oath of Moment thing. I should add that!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Feeple posted:

How did you make the skateboard? That gives me ideas!
It's 3d printed, everything is. The skateboard is from Heretech Voidwalker pack.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Lumpy posted:

How were the presupported versions of things in there?
I don't know, I supported the files myself. I'll take a look tomorrow, and let you know.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Lumpy posted:

How were the presupported versions of things in there?
It looks pretty good. It looks adequate, but not excessive.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I painted a Howling Griffon for a contest my FLGS is running.
I should make a Kill Team, I love these guys so much. He's a little shiny, I should hit him with some varnish.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting in on the small scale stuff. This is very different from what I usually paint, and I'm hoping that a bunch of weathering and snow will carry me to something that I don't hate.
WIP on a 6mm diorama.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I forgot to varnish after applying Dirty Down Rust effect. Turns out that putting GSW Frost effect on top of it gives a very heavy layered look to it.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I finished my 6mm Full Spectrum Dominance diorama. I'm happy with it, it's a very new scale for me to work in. It's also pretty difficult to photograph it so everything is lit up and in focus.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

EdsTeioh posted:

Any of you guys used Dirty Down Rust? I build a lot of Necromunda terrain and am always looking for new weathering techniques and grabbed some of this stuff and I gotta say that it's probably the biggest waste of money I've encountered in 30 years of hobbying. Yeah, I shook the hell out of it and all that, but I may as well have just smeared iodine on stuff and saved $25.

I've had some pretty good results with Dirty Down rust, but there are 2 things that you have to do, and a few things that you probably should do, to get good results.

Just for the benefit of everyone:
Throw in some more mixing balls, and mix it a lot. There should be nothing stuck to the bottom of the pot at all, and then you should shake it some more.
It need to be warm to work properly. Keep it in your pocket, armpit, or something for 20 minutes.
You should use multiple layers, and apply different amounts to different places to get a variety of colors.
You should hit it it with a brush with clean water to soften the edges, move it around, and overall make it look cool.

Dirty Down has a guide for it here: https://dirtydown.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Rust-Effect-Paint.pdf
I've found that you can't really cut any corners here, if you want a good result. There really should be a link to the guide on the bottle, in big bold letters.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

EdsTeioh posted:

Yeah, I did all that and still got the results I linked above. I'm gonna stick with my other methods but I'm really mad I wasted $30 on this poo poo.

That's super weird. At least you know you've done everything, so you don't have to waste any more time on it.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone make a gold primer for airbrush? That would speed things up for me.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I decided to power through painting Lohith for Malifaux, so I can get to the fun minis in the keyword.
Still a WIP, since I need some non-opaque white to highlight the blue.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

Love it! Nice job on the osl. Is that glazing or airbrush?
Thanks! It's oil paints spread out with a brush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I got my white so I could finish Lohith. He's made of Soulstone, a blue crystal, so the orange-yellow light makes him green. The backside only gets pale moonlight, so he stays blue there.