Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
New tank for a new thread! It's a Hobby Boss 1:48th scale T-34Sorry about the shittastic photo quality.

Sadly, all the decals that came with the kit were wrong, either completely made up or meant for a different model of T-34, and I don't usually do 1:48th, so I ended up with no decals at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I'm pretty bad at figures, especially faces, but here's a recent small project.

I'm also bad at photos.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
German tanks are all identical and boring, you can hang all sorts of random poo poo off your American tanks and have them be both unique looking and historically accurate.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I finished a thing: an Italeri Ostwind with Academy tracks, in 1:35th scale as always.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Cross-posting some hand to hand combat. I don't really like figures as much as I like tanks, but the action pose plus the departure from boring gray and green made this quite a fun thing to paint. There are three more figures in the box, but I think I'll tackle them one or two at a time.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

JoshTheStampede posted:

I post too many words and not enough pictures so here's what I finished tonight. I'm a good painter and a bad photographer.

Don't worry, I'm a bad painter and a bad photographer, and that never stopped me.:v:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

The Sisko posted:

While I was airbrushing Fire Warriors this weekend I decided to try using a thinned tamiya clear red as a candy over a metallic basecoat. I really like the way this came out , kinda has a dried blood look too it and it will be perfect for the Word Bearer force I'm building slowly. Ill probably do more shading on the metallic undercoat in later iterations but this came out great and was just what I wanted. I had so much fun with the base-coat that I decided to keep painting the model. One more things I tried to do was to paint his tabbard like it was skinned flesh (not sure about it). Comments and criticisms welcome.

I really like how the metallic red turned out!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Working through the Masterbox marines slowly but surely. This guy looked a lot more fearsome on the box. Without the facial expression, he looks like he's at the pole vault instead of a war.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

moths posted:

It looks like a German machine pistol, so he's probably in the middle of disarming some chump.

Yup, it's a hand to hand combat set.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

krushgroove posted:

Yeah it makes sense from an aspirational standpoint, kind of like the limited releases, etc. (not a topic for this thread of course) - but every modeller drools over huge, expensive & impractical models they'll never actually own. Look at the market for 1/32 WW2 warplanes and the meter-long German railguns. Hell, GW is even going to start charging people just to look at the models at Warhammer World after it opens up again.

I always wanted something stupidly huge like a Karl Gerat on my shelf, but they are pretty rare in 1:35th scale. I figured I'd settle for just any tank in 1:16th scale, but then it's just too wide. :(

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

So I guess we can look forward to having the GW website be a subscription based service like the New York Times. 3.99 a month and you can browse our catalogue!

You joke, but a semi-local model shop sells old Tamiya catalogs to the tune of $10 a pop.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Another new tank! This one is a 1:35th scale Valentine made by some no-name Russian company in the 90s, but is strangely good quality for that.

The colours ended up very vibrant on this one, and I think the washing turned out really well.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
More like "[informal you] step away", but I've seen much worse Russian inscriptions. If you're looking for something with a GTFO feel to it, you'll probably want "убирайся".

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Tanks for the tank god

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

SRM posted:

Various graffiti on it says “Crush”, “Pray to the Emperor”, “For the homeland!”, “Valhalla” and other such stuff.

More like "to pray of emperor". Google Translate is really not good. Sweet paint job though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

krushgroove posted:

I've added you to the list in the OP (if anyone else wants adding just PM me or post a reply!)

Add me as the guy that will tell you how to write stuff in Russian so you don't have to resort to Google translate.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
It's party time! :ussr::hf::toot:

Not super happy with how the faces turned out. The crouching tanker and the one with the helmet look okay, the one with the larger cup looks like a gorilla and the accordion player looks like Odo from Star Trek. Oh well, practice makes perfect.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Crossposting from the other minis thread.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Here's my latest project, a Zvezda 120 mm Soviet mortar crew.

The kit comes with a mortar, trailer (the mortar can be assembled collapsed on the trailer or deployed for firing), a gunner, four figures, two mortar rounds (shame it's not more to display in the crate), two crates, and three rifles. There are also two Adrian helmets in the kit along with more modern Soviet ones, but one had a bad cast and the other shattered when I took it off the sprue. Other than that, no problems with the quality, and the detailing is very good, considering this is an older Zvezda kit.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Cross-posting my PzI from the other miniatures thread.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

crime fighting hog posted:

Eh gently caress it I'm done

Jesus, if that's your "gently caress it", I'm looking forward to a model you think you put effort in.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I finished a vintage (read: lovely) IS-3 by some Russian factory I never heard of. Turned out okay, I think.

More photos here.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

SRM posted:

Just be like me and spray in the back staircase of your apartment building and never tell your landlord.

Same. I also used to spray in some underground passageway behind my old building, it was pretty much perfect year-round.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Ilor posted:

That's the miracle of their slim, efficient, "1-man store" policy in play, my friend.

I had a local model shop that was one guy. His physical location was at a farmer's market, so he'd actually be there only 2-3 days a week, but you could call him up any time and he'd be at your place with anything you want (dude seriously had like 10 thousand kits in his basement), no delivery, plus he'd throw in a pot of paint or a tube of glue if you bought a few kits in one go. His stuff wasn't cheap, but you just can't beat that level of service.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

krushgroove posted:

Dude that's great, I agree you should double paint with both hands when you're 100%

I finished some containers I started last weekend - I put too much rust chipping on them at first then decided to try getting as close to the 'Forge World look' on these, just for the hell of it.

The rust effects are very good, but I think there's still too much of it on the blue one in random places, not where the paint would wear off and the metal would rust naturally.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

krushgroove posted:

Which blue one? I'm not fully happy with any of them, like I said I put too much sponge rust on all of them so they do look a little overdone to me. Rather than repaint them entirely I left them as-is (they are scatter terrain after all) and added pigments in various ways to experiment and see how different methods work for rust spots, dust and other looks. As these are slab-sided boxes pretty much I eventually looked at them as practice for tanks, I've got some ebay rescue Rhinos to try next.

The one under the green container, the other one looks fine I think.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Lethemonster posted:

Long time no see, painting thread.

I'm painting a Baneblade and wanted to give it a camo paint job. I'm struggling to find good reference models that aren't winter camo tanks.

If any of you lovely people could post or direct me towards well painted tanks with camo paint schemes I would be grateful.

This is the last thing I painted well over a year ago so I'm going off in a whole new direction.

camo camo camo

What kind of camo are you looking for other than "not winter"?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I had the same problem with a Model Master metallic green, that pot was also incredibly old.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Well gently caress, your tank looks a lot more impressive than my tank.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I meant gun-wise, 47 mm guns aren't that impressive compared to whatever the hell that is.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

No offense to the parties involved, but I prefer your tank to 2 shades-of-grey tank.

That's why I try to avoid Panzergrau, it just looks so boring, especially when there are more fun camo options.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Infantry dump!

This guy is from an ancient Zvezda kit. The quality isn't exactly modern, but I think the face turned out pretty well on him, and I always liked this figure due to the big silly goggles.

Also I finally finished off those Masterbox marines.

And here's the whole set:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Crossposting from the Scale Model thread November craptankbot challenge.

Go, Soviet commubot!

Smash the invaders!

Even the toughest fascist beasts are no match for its strength!

Feel safe, comrades, knowing that the commubot vigilantly defends your borders night and day.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Star Man posted:

Getting bored of painting space marines and want to paint some space bugs that I have for a bit. What do you all think of this color scheme?

Or this. I seem to be hellbent on using tertiary colors.

I like the second one more.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Easily the best plow I've ever seen.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Do they ship to Canada?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Cross-posting from the inhalants thread.

album link

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I made another tank.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

What are the bulbs on the back of the turret? I've never seen those before.

NTRabbit posted:

Looks like stahlhelms hanging on hooks to me

Yup, they're helmets.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Cross posting from the inhalants thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Frobbe posted:

Cadians! Prepare to die for your EMPEROR!

Bravely led by Captain Disapproving Scowl
(Bonus points to those that recognize the technological relic he's standing on)

These are the first cadians i've ever painted, but they came out nice!

I read "Canadians" at first, now I want to see these guys decked out in Mountie colours.