Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
You're doin it right, Krushgroove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Should I use the purpose made Army Painter primers or can I get away with Rustoleum or Krylon automotive primer? I also seem to remember a Krylon line that is made for painting plastic.
I'd only bother with Army Painter if you're basing an army around one of their colors. I used their Crystal Blue for my Ultras, but I've used Krylon black and white primer for everything else I've ever painted.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

Agreed. Also, their primer does not stand up to any sort of handling without chipping.
Can confirm :( Even after multiple coats of varnish, a number of my Ultras have chipped paintjobs and it breaks my heart.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Been a while since I painted anything new for the Ultramarines and their moderately expendable IG buddies! I was able to trade a friend for one of the old Skullz Techpriests, and I had some Servitors lying around so I painted up the unit of them:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
drat dude, that's an impressive force painted quick! The short static grass is a really nice touch; I never would have thought to look for it when it really seems like a no-brainer now that you mention it.

Fyrbrand posted:

Old school style owns, SRM owns, everything owns

Edit: those shouldn't be lost on the end of a page.

Edit edit: Krylon Matte varnish sucks loving rear end and if you're thinking of using it, kill yourself instead.

Danke mucho broham :respek:

Is Krylon Matte varnish fogging up for you? I've never thought of using it since Testors is so solid.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

magnetbox posted:

Is the Army Painter's Wolf Grey spray close to GW's russ grey at all?
The Army Painter sprays correspond to the old GW colors; it's more like the old Shadow Grey, which I think is a little more blue than Russ Grey. If you want to use Army Painter colors, it's best to get a spray and their bottled warpaints, which are a 100% match to their sprays.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So while I wait for the mounting lug for my Thunderbolt to and my last five Scions to get in, I've been filling a few gaps in my rank and file Valhallans. I dug up this autocannon squad and painted them up this weekend:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I was having some issues with my camera tonight - but wanted to show these off because I put a lot of time in on the basing, which I never do. Need to go back and add a few banner details and names - but these are 99% complete. Click for ridicuhuge.

The knights look good, and I really dig the wispy blue on the swords. The bases really are top notch though; your effort shows through!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
drat dude, that's dope as gently caress. Great paintjob on a stellar model.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I finished painting my fourth and final Taurox Prime! These things were really fun to paint, and I was able to knock each one out in an afternoon. They're cute little chunky things and I'll miss painting them. This one in particular is the command Taurox, and that's why it's got the lion and golden doodads:

Each of the vehicles has a Scion knife and a number next to it, going from 01-03. The command squad, however, gets the skull and a 00 number:

And here's the whole motor pool, plus my incredibly messy painting table:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

big_g posted:

I found time this weekend to panel line and then add some simple weathering to the corsair. This is all still super gloss beware.

Going to work on canopy, prop and details next then matt everything down. Pic dump incoming!

What do you think? I'm fairly happy with how it's turning out.

This looks loving dope. That looks like an appropriately weathered plane that's definitely seen some poo poo but gotten out in one piece.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

Dayummm. That is really sweet, man.

As far as I know, there is no way to shrink a model/mold down like that (unless you are a supervillian and have a shrink ray.) Your best bet is to sculpt one and cast that.

Terminator question: I'm thinking about taking the DV DA Terminators and modding them to have lightning claws and Thunder Hammers/Storm Shields for use in Space Hulk. Looking at the DA Terminator box set on GW's site though, it appears there is only one Thunder Hammer and one set of Lightning Claws in there. Is that correct, or is GW just not showing all of the sprues in the box?

There's only one set of Lightning Claws and one Thunder Hammer, but lots of storm shields. If you just want bits, I'll gladly send you my leftovers - I built Deathwing Knights but didn't use anything else.

One of the most common requests I've gotten for my Ultramarines army is a Chaplain to lead the force. I figured why stop at one when I can have two!

Not pictured: The multiple coats of blackish blue I painted these models in that doesn't photograph well at all. I did the old 'Eavy Metal thing of mixing Regal Blue and black and mixing in more and more Space Wolves Grey for highlights, but it didn't show up too well. Also my printer broke so I couldn't print out the Chaplain's banner. Ah well!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

DJ Dizzy posted:

Canopi for a crimson fist stormtalon. Wtf should I do?

Paint it very, very carefully.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sisko posted:

Decided to work on some Pathfinders that have been sitting on my shelf for some time. For some reason the image makes them look a lot more blue than they actually are. Got some detials to still do but I liked how these guys came out as they were some first attempts at using my airbrush to glaze. Comment and criticism welcome.

I love this scheme, Tau aren't in fun colors often enough.

Skarsnik posted:

Gutrot Spume incoming:

Nice to do something a bit different, made a nice change from power armour

Came together surprisingly quickly too
The blends on those tentacles are seriously great. That's an excellent looking mini.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fyrbrand posted:

Warmachine/Hordes painting crossposte

Raluk Moorclaw and his lil' jack marshalled Buccaneer buddy.

Great work on these dudes; the Troll has a shitload of character, and I don't see worn out/rusty 'jacks that often.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Arcturas posted:

When you all paint bases or terrain with glue to get a coat on or to add flock, are we talking watered down elmers white glue, or watered down elmers wood glue?
I use PVA glue. You can go to any art supply store and get a big ol' bottle of it. I use whatever I can find at Michel's - usually it's called tacky glue. This is what's on my desk right now:
http://www.amazon.com/ALEENES-15599-Purpose-Glue-8-Ounce/dp/B00178KLEY

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Paint the big rocks a dark grey with a light grey drybrush, they'll stick out less. Dead dude is fine to me.
:agreed:
It's really silly to paint rocks to look like rocks, but sometimes you just gotta.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JoshTheStampede posted:

I post too many words and not enough pictures so here's what I finished tonight. I'm a good painter and a bad photographer.

What's this guy from? I love him. The muted grey goes really well with the more vibrant blue and yellow, the lenses are gorgeous, and he just looks so drat grumpy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

Crossposting from the 40k thread since it's getting embroiled in Eldar chat.

Making some progress with my Scions at last by just following GW's video painting guide even. Although I'm not sure if I wanna go into the highlighting stage or not once I've finished the base colours because I kinda like the muted colours that I've got with them right now.

So highlight them with muted colors. Also did you prime with gloss?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Harkano posted:

What is the best colour match for Old School 'Bolter shell' pot Chaos Black?

My whole Trollbloods army has the base rims painted in it, and adding new models years later my Vallejo 72051 Black is a bit too glossy and different.

P3 Thamar Black is what I'm using. Coat D'Arms paints are also the same ones GW rebranded back in the day, so their black would probably do ya just fine.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I see people try it a lot, but it's usually pretty obviously just cut up sprue. Wooden planks don't tend to be as thick as they are wide like sprue is. For the amount of effort/blood you'll probably lose widdling them, I'd probably get resin bases instead.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I just finished up some Arbites I got back in 2008 or so. I wish there was more variety in the poses, but I absolutely love the models:

That said, I think I found the secret to actually enjoying painting black. I used The Fang and Fenrisian Grey on these (old Shadow Grey and Space Wolves Grey, respectively) and I really liked the coverage they had. I also feel like the models didn't end up too grey, as they often do when highlighting with typical greys. The blueish tint those two have was really good for these guys, and I think I'll highlight more black this way in the future.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Drake_263 posted:

So a friend of mine offloaded me a bunch of primed Marines. I also just finished reading Flight of the Eisenstein a bit back.

This happened:

I don't know why, but I'm really enjoying knocking these guys out. Literally takes me a day to paint a squad - and this is after 8 hours at work. Just need to figure out how to do the bases for them - I'm planning on these red-orange-brown 'Martian rust desert' bases for them.

(Apologies for the poorer lightning with the scouts, the latter were finished seven or so hours after the tacs, the sun'd set and I don't have a proper lightbox setup yet)

These guys look good! Props on cranking them out so fast. If you're gonna do Martian rust desert bases, I'd get that GW Martian Ironearth paint since it does that cool crackle effect, but it's red instead of brown.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

El Estrago Bonito posted:

No, don't use paint and prime on minis. Not only do you have to worry about obscuring details but sometimes the paint component is hydrophobic and will make painting hard.

That only happens on gloss paints. So long as it's primer it probably won't be gloss. I use Rustoleum, Krylon, or whatever kind of primer for my minis. Details are only obscured if I'm being an idiot and laying the paint on way too thick.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Krushgroove, those are some slick looking Eldar. Great highlights on em.

Fyrbrand, I'm all bout those tartans. Angry Scottish mohawk trolls are the best.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I built a Dark Angels army from Dark Vengeance sets for cheap then torpedoed any and all savings I had by buying Dragonforge bases for every loving dude. They look great, but in hindsight I really wish I just based them like my Valhallans. Would've made allying easier too.

So it's taken like 6 months since I finished building it, but I finally painted the Land Raider!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

No green-rimmed base and that is the worst Ultramarines paint job I've ever seen...

:D

Looks good, though I think it could benefit from some chipping and staining to break up all that silver. Are you planning on doing a full IW army, or was this a one off?

I actually have like 4k of Iron Warriors! They're an army I go back to every once in a while and just do some more stuff for. I wish I did caution stripes on the top to break it up, but the thought of painting yet more yellow made my skin crawl so I stayed away from it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

You could always just tape off sections and hit it with a yellow primer/spraypaint. It's a cheap and easy way to get a consistent, flat yellow color.

Bonus: if you painted the silver first, you could then do the hairspray chipping effect.

I've done that before, and I used masking tape for the caution stripes on the tank already. It just took like... 6 coats of Averland Sunset. I should've probably based that area brown first, but c'est la vie.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You should be proud of that streak free and perfect metallic coat.
Painting tanks with a brush since 1998 :shepicide:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
A while ago I was able to pick up one of the now-OOP Forgeworld heavy bolter emplacements. I always dug this model since it was the same one they used for the Space Marine heavy bolter turrets in Dawn of War, and I'm glad I can add it to my Valhallans:

The text reads something akin to "Go away"

And for scale:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ensign Expendable posted:

More like "[informal you] step away", but I've seen much worse Russian inscriptions. If you're looking for something with a GTFO feel to it, you'll probably want "убирайся".
I'm just doing what I can with Google translate! It's good enough for graffiti that I usually forget the meaning of a week later.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

An Angry Bug posted:

SRM, your stuff is amazing, but for the love of god please work on your white balance.
I'm trying, it just gets really tricky when I have snow basing. The white on the snow is either SUPER hot and blows everything out, or everything gets that kind of yellowish tint to it. I really need a real lightbox instead of the blank side of an 18x24 drawing I did in college and a pair of desk lamps.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Z the IVth posted:

Snap it without any white balancing or adjust it manually to your bulb colour (3000k for warm white/incandescent, 7900k for flourescent/cool white) then tweak it in your photo editor of choice. The programs auto-levels/auto-tone usually does a better job than your camera.
I'm just choosing the black and white points in Photoshop and using a point and shoot Sony camera. I'll look into it next time I take photos of some of my models since I'm kinda tired of my pictures looking like that too.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

Super helpful tutorial
This is exactly what I've been doing, but if you look at the snow, it's super duper hot and kinda blows out any detail. It just looks like this glowing white blob.

moths posted:

If you're using Photoshop, keep doing that but also use the Remove Color Cast tool.
I'll look into this - I think this is what I'm going for.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm genuinely envious of how well your poo poo photographs. If I put a black background down I'd have a muddled mess that looked like something out of Dakka's auto-balance feature for photos. Unfortunately I don't have an SLR or anything, but I'll see if my camera has exposure settings anywhere in there.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

!amicable posted:

It's all good. I think I can use some cheap photo frame glass and some etching solution to get myself a sheet.

In other news, Deathjackin':

click for more!
This thing is loving bonkers and I love it.

serious gaylord posted:

This is phenomenal

http://mumumuno53.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-68.html

I can't even wrap my head around how thats been made and painted to look like that.
Jesus Christmas

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
They were on the old IG accessory sprue, which you can still get from GW:
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Imperial-Guard-Tank-Accessories

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
big_g, it's scale modeler stuff like that that absolutely puts most Warhams to shame. loving stellar paintwork and modeling. I'm genuinely intimidated to paint my Imperial Thunderbolt for 40k after seeing planes that good.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Building old models is fun. Pinning the robots together was super easy, since they're old enough to still have lead in them :v:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Moola posted:

You were right the black wash looks awesome

Pics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

GAH! Screw you Army Painter spray!

I spray an entire army and my VMC paints will not stick to the models because the AP is too smooth. gently caress. Now I have to hope that a light dullcote will give me enough tooth without ruining things (washes, in particular.) I don't want to have to strip, rebase, and prime an entire army again. :bang:
I really love Army Painter spray but it's a pretty lovely primer. My newest batch of Ultramarines are primed white before using the AP Crystal Blue primer, since I was having chipping problems.