Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

I like the generic dick blick brand- I use them for drybrushing, alcohol paints, and oils. They last a long time and are cheap.

I've always liked the Utrecht generics. Apparently they were acquired by Dick Blick though, and there was some talk of the stores offering selections from both of their lines if i recall.
This was for studio classes rather than miniatures, but a good brush is a good brush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So are those squadron seam-scrapers any use? They're only like $10 with prime shipping and I'm debating picking one up. I figure you guys would be the people to ask about mold line removal.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The tiny claws on the front hands should also probably be painted. Also the green claws just kinda look a bit strange? Like it's a really organic shape but the green makes them look artificial. I can't really offer advice on how to address that but might be worth considering.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Okay how big are these miniatures. Like, could you put one next to a penny or a quarter or something for a size comparison?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Really great tutorial on glowing green slime bases that was on Dakkadakka, but he has his own site.

http://kriswallminis.blogspot.com/2015/02/green-slime-basing-tutorial.html

Uses glow in the dark Elmer's Glue of all things .

I think the results are pretty impressive.

I really want to buy some miniatures now.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Moola posted:

as long as they not GW

Well the plan is to eventually print some of my own so probably not. I've not been able to find nearly enough sad lonely robot models;.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I knew about Future but Windex too? An extremely expensive hobby is sounding marginally less expensive by the minute.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Sex Cannon posted:

Awesome tank.

Your tanks are some of my favorite things in this thread. The metallics are wonderful.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 27, 2015

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I know miniature painting is a lot different from the painting you might do for scale modelling, due to differences in size and viewing distance. I'm curious about potentially applying some of the techniques, such as zenithal priming, to scale models and gundam kits. Does zenithal priming, for instance, help still when the kits are at a larger scale?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sauer posted:

Zenithal is frequently used on armor and military figurines. Though scale modellers would probably call it "pre-shading". Many aircraft modellers also pre-shade panel lines, joints between control surfaces the inside of intakes and so on.

I always thought preshading was a bit different than zenithal shading, being more of a quick underlying layer of shading and highlights rather than the top-down primer spray of zenithal priming.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

big_g posted:

I can give some examples if it's useful.

This is incredibly helpful! I've never really liked how the pre-shading turns out on robots and such, which is mainly what I'm doing, but modulation looks like a really fun technique.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

PyroDwarf posted:

After a simple green soak, I'm already much happier with how he is coming along.

Pre-soak:

New face:

New Wolf:

Question is, do I try to do pupils again or just give them a light blue glaze for spooky glowing eyes?

Go with the spooky eyes. The blank eyes look really cool in this case so I think that'd make it look even better.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Crosspostin' my new freeblade.

Zoinks!

Clicks for huge.

Needs more flowers.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

I did a bit of Warhammer Fantasy stuff a decade ago, and the recent Age of Sigmar talk has made me want to dust them off and give them a go with the Kings of War rules.

Thing is, I mean 'dust them off' literally. These things have just been sitting on shelves for the better part of a decade at this point. Some of them are just primed, even, and never got fully painted before I stopped messing around with miniatures back then. What's the best way to dust off things like these? A blast of compressed air? The gentle caress of a feather duster? Water?

A wet Q-tip will work wonders, I've found.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Not actually mini related, but you all seem to have the most experience with various varnishes and protective glosses. I'm hoping to get a silver paint pen signature or a white marker pen signature on a piece of heavily handled electronics. Am I right that if I want it to be protected, a layer of future is probably the best way to go? I'm willing to spend more if there's a more durable product. I really just want to varnish the signature itself so anything I can apply precisely is a plus.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

From what I've seen on the various Gundam threads/subreddits/forums, they're really only used for the panel lining and the occasional "fill in indentation yellow." Really for anything more complicated than that people tend to use a brush, half the time just cutting open the now useless markers and using the paint because it matches nicely to the plastic.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Do they not use cadmium pigments for yellows?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

occamsnailfile posted:

It does depend on the brand, cadmium is a bit toxic and also more expensive (we need our batteries okay) so you'll see a lot of "cadmium yellow (hue)" on non-miniature paints to indicate they're matching the hue but not using cadmium specifically.

I've never had issue with a cadmium-based yellow paint, is why I was confused.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Good skulls.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Depending on when we do it, I'd be down for Mock goodness. If it helps inspire any of you, it's named "Mock" because in show it was basically a bootleg plastic model. Made by an alien.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

For real though if you guys want to do a Gundam kit you should do one of the dirt cheap early kits, carry on the crappiness of the crap tank.
This link'll show a lot of them.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Serotonin posted:

Finished other than the shield which I can't do because my wife's not around to cut the decal out. Oh and needs some flock

Not bad considering I guess. Had to rely on washes a lot more than usual though.

If I could paint like that I'd be content with never getting any better.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

For sprays, the Tamiya Primer and various yellows work fine, right?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So I have a few brush questions. I know sable brushes are the way to go according to the OP but in my experience they're generally for oil and watercolor, as acrylic isn't exactly kind to brushes. However, this experience is more based on traditional painting rather than miniature work. With the amount of paint, and as thinned down as it is, is it a bit different for miniatures work?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Bistromatic posted:

Thanks for the kind words y'all.

If there's actual interest i can see if i pull together a write-up from progress photos.

Please do!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So I know that Tamiya is probably the premier producer of tools for plastics, but who're the good brands for tools for metal? I'm planning on doing some conversion work and am in dire need of a tiny saw and some files.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

You weren't kidding about the prices, but these look pretty fantastic. Is there one that you'd recommend as a general purpose file, just to start with?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So I ended up ordering some regular Game Color by mistake in my order of Model and Game Air (specifically Glorious Gold, Gunmental, Moon Yellow, and White.) Is there any recommendation on ratios to thin them to match the rest of the paints? For drybrushing and mixing, am I even going to need to thin them at all?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Are the Vallejo washes alright?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So the Sparmax TC-620X recced in the OP is close to 400 USD now. Does anybody have a recommendation that's in that 200-250 range?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Are any of the affordable (300 or less. Pref a lot less) pre-built spray booths fireproof? Sticking only to non-flammable paints seems rather limiting.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Booley posted:

Painted up another batch of blood angels. A moritat, some Angel's Tears, and some tartaros.

What do you do for your lightbox? I really like the reflection on the bottom.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So the Patriot 105 is just... not on Amazon whatever reason. Did it get replaced with a newer model or something?

I had picked up a Sotar a while back during a sale but I wanted to get something more a general purpose, likely also badger so that I didn't need to get a bunch of adapters and such.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So 1/144 scale miniatures.
These people are so tiny I'm going to need to be wearing magnifying lenses while I work.
What are tips for a beginner? Is zenithal painting still effective at this scale?

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 6, 2019

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So the Badger Patriot is on clearance for like ~$50 at Michael's rn. In case you were looking for an Airbrush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Jumpoff posted:

Is this in-store only? I can't find anything on their website.

Yeah, in store. At our location they were behind the counter.