Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Fyrbrand posted:

Post more cool Salamander mans since I no longer paint them, thx in advance.

I'm not sure if they qualify as cool, but have an albumful - http://imgur.com/a/DKkJA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

Here's the third mob of 'Ardboyz for my Blood Axes. I used the Kommando big shoota model because I had it lying around, and it's a cool mini you don't see too often. Still undecided what to do for their trukk since I don't want to just make a stock one.

These guys are ace as always! As for the trukk, how about picking up a cheapish half track kit and orking it up?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

These guys look rad as hell, it's really got me itching to paint up a team even though I don't play.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

crime fighting hog posted:

Holy poo poo I actually finished this unit

That blue is :krad:, I love these guys.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

You've nothing to worry about, that boat looks awesome! Where did you get it from? I'm tempted to do one myself for when our FG group does the Frozen River.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Woah, these look great, but I thought those lightning bolts were supposed to be the fast-attack icons.

Like this:

It probably does not matter, and maybe I am super wrong and those are a specific symbol for the legion.

The symbol was originally a Army Badge that GW used on IG tanks (and some of the Space Marine figs iirc) to denote which campaign the vehicle was currently been deployed to. The fluff was that all Imperial forces would share the same badge, and once the campaign was over they'd work it into honourifics and heraldry etc. if they'd done especially well.

Sadly I don't think they're in the fluff any more. GW recycled a bunch of their old symbols when producing the icons for Force Org charts etc. (like the SM Tactical symbol being used for Troops).
:goonsay:

Incidentally I use an Army Badges on my Salamanders, it's the quartered blue/yellow/black circle:

This was part of a project at my local club where a bunch of people would each start a small army of different chapters/legions and we'd link it all together with the same army badge. Unfortunately it petered out and I'm the only one who ever painted a whole army :(

richyp posted:

Next in my attempt to paint non-gw models

Painted like my older stuff thanks to the fact I found an old can of white primer. I bust the base when I slotted him in so I need a new one before basing.

This guy's looking awesome so far, the extreme highlighting works well.

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 2, 2016

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

signalnoise posted:

What's the right place to put my paints? Should I have all my paints readily accessible, or should I keep my paints off the table unless I'm using them? That kind of thing. What's a good way to organize my WIPs?

I'm less interested in specific suggestions for my questions, because I don't really know where to start with it, and more interested in seeing other peoples' workspaces and how they've dealt with organizing the 100 different things used in this hobby.

Old pic (from before I moved house and filled my desk with stuff again), I have some sets of storage boxes lined up along the back, with some cheap MDF paint racks on top of those (sized for GW / P3 / Army Painter bottles).

The boxes need organising more but hold assorted 'to be started' models, my tools and paints that I don't use very often. The paint racks have the colours I use most often plus whatever I'm using for 'current' projects, and then filled up with odds and sods of 'interesting' colours I don't want to forget I have when planning colour schemes.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

That metallic green looks ace, reminds me of a giant beetle or something :)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Depending on how the head's attached and if there's any bulky detail around it, you may be best off with a jeweller's saw or similar.

If there's a lot of detail around the connection you may have to abandon either the body or head (depending on which is most important to you).

Got any pics of the dude?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

richyp posted:

If you want to maintain a cohesive but non-uniformed look then I'd stick to the same limited palette of colours applied to the entire unit to tie them together and go for a warband look, similar to a Necromunda/Mordheim gang or Infinity group using the same colorus through-out but not necessarily in the same places e.g. if one model has blue details then use the same shade of blue on the other models in different places.

You say keep the uniformity through greys but if grey is the only consistent colour then if you have a grey and red, a grey and blue, a grey and green model etc.. then they might look too different from each other to look like a single cohesive unit. I would paint one model up with colours that look good to you then use that exact palette on the other models but rotate around what colour is applied where on each piece.

Seconding this. Sticking to the same colours in different places is how I painted my Frostgrave Dwarfs and it really makes em look like a unit whilst also being individuals. You can use some different colours to highlight important models or differentiate special squads, e.g. all your sergeants get a red bandanna, or your veterans have yellow patches. In the case of the Frostgrave guys they're pretty much all metal with brown/black clothes, with blue flourishes (generally cloaks), but my Wizard and Apprentice both have purple details too to stand out.

It also works with inverting the colours - say your basic grunts are grey with red details. Your commandos can be red with grey patches. They stand out because they're obviously different but also fit in 'cause it's the same colours.

Have some bad pictures which will hopefully show what I mean:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yeast posted:

Finished up my Steel Legion armies' Armageddon Ork Hunter unit;

These are the best Guard. You should do an army of these guys, screw the Steel Legion :D

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

ijyt posted:

This is pretty late, but who's the company that mixes resin and massive metal pieces so I can make sure never to buy from them.

Privateer Press.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

CommissarRed posted:

I'm working on another of my themed warbands for Frostgrave, using the Cthulhu models from Scibor. The idea is that i'm going to run them as my summoner wizard, but I'm torn about using their Cthulhu proper model for my summoned demon. He's just a little too bulky for me and his wings are a bit small.

Aside from this one, I'm also shying away from Reaper's Cthulhu model as he looks like he's had one too many beers.

Anyone have any recommendations for miniature companies that make demons, monsters, etc., that I could use for the warband?

Fenris Games have a mythos range and are the guys who produce the Cthulhu Wars minis, maybe they'll have something suitable.

Also you could use the Frostgrave Cultists as basic mooks and have the bigger gribblies as your Knights and whatnot.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

GW's Balthasar gold covers pretty well too. For non-GW stuff I've had good results with P3's Brass Balls.

Auric Gold is just for highlights and needs to go over a good base.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

signalnoise posted:

I have found exactly one spraypaint which dries on bonesium. I don't know why this poo poo is aimed at newbies

Army Painter Black works on Bonesium, from experience. Not tried their other colours on it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

These any good? http://shop.microartstudio.com/large-wooden-barrels-2-p-796.html

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Just realised I hadn't added this here:

Zark the Damned posted:

:siren: Oath Complete :siren:

First up are the Owlbears. The first one is vaguely based on actual owl markings, the second is more of a stealthy dusk-hunter (also the sculpt looks more like a hawk-bear or something but that's cool too). I'm aware of the speckles where paint has rubbed off and need to do some touch ups.

Next are the chunkyman hammerslappers. Shaded using purple ink for a more magic/techy feel (stole the idea from richyp in the painting thread, can't find the post but it was talking about different undertones for metallics).

Balthasar Gelt. The wizard himself is painted in the same palette as the hammerslappers (in my headcanon they're suits of armour he enchanted to move). Fairly happy with the white horsey despite the roughness.

Last and especially not least is the giant. Converted from a Harry Potter cave troll toy with an Otherworld head and numerous bitz. Really happy with this guy.

Couple of close ups of my favourite bits, and a scale pic alongside a dude, hammerslapper and the marauder giant. This guy's huge!

I'm really happy with how the giant turned out, especially the face. Possibly went ott on the washes trying to make his jacket faded and dirty, It toned down the shine on the dragon a bit much. I may go back and retouch it. Also I just realised the tail's snapped off the pelt on his wrist, gotta fix that :(

Also am happy with the purple shading on Gelt and his buddies, thanks for the tip richyp! (I just wish I could find that post)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Maybe black or a dark grey, like asphalt / roads?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Welp I think that's officially the best XWangs model I've seen. Got a fleet of slam sector renegades or just the one?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

richyp posted:

Nah, the only plastic that breaks has Visa or MasterCard printed on it.

:vince:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Today I found out that citadel washes now only come in ridiculous oversized pots.

Painting thread, please suggest good alternatives.

Nthing Army Painter, they have really good washes.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

Finished up my Contemptor from Betrayal at Calth! It's a breeze to assemble; kind of curious why they didn't make a proper mutlipart kit out of it with more options. Oh well!

Looking good! I like the darker blue you're using for the HH stuff, nice contrast with the bright 2nd ed guys.

Re the kit, probably not a proper multipart kit so they don't step on FW's toes and can continue selling the much more expensive resin ones. Either that or they're gonna do a sprue with more options later as an add on.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

May be of interest to the thread, GW are relasing a new range of metallics, glossy washes and 'gem' glazes - https://www.games-workshop.com/en-G...cat440136a-flat

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

You can see some of the stuff from 2013 onwards on the official site, https://golden-demon.com/ - unfortunately they only have the finalists up but it may be of help? IIRC there wasn't one in 2015, but it's now part of Warhammer Fest.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

GW released a video showing off their new gem paints - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUBtItceuec

The effect actually looks pretty good.

Anyone any idea whether it's a unique formula or if they've just re-branded something else and jacked up the price (like many of their other hobby tools)? I'm tempted to pick some up and repaint a bunch of gems I'm not happy with.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

My latest Oath stuff. I tried out a couple of new techniques with skin tones and weird alien planets, and mimicking wildlife photos (the Basilisk). Overall I'm happy with this bunch, though I do still need to figure out some better camera settings for the glowy guys (the effect is more pronounced IRL)..

Zark the Damned posted:

Oath Complete!

Classic Thrud, tried to paint this in a rough comic book style. It's also Speed Painted and follows Box Art (see below quote).

Tarzan, Jane and their pet Mini-Rex out for a family stroll.

Space Princesses of various kinds. I went with the classic sci-fi show method of 'weird skin colour makeup = alien' on some of them.

Meganob and Brutes, yet more fodder for my Waaagh Demons (Demon Prince and Possessed respectively). I may go back and put some 'binding sigils' and the like on the armour but I'm happy with them for now.

Big gribbly basilisk, with tree frog inspired colour scheme. The pics don't show it off well but he's glossy IRL.

In addition to Speed Painting and Box Art I'm claiming the Jurnal for the relaxing princesses plus the sheer amount of skin on display for most of my entry.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Drake_263 posted:

I can't find the tutorial but if I was to start an Ork army, that's how I'd do it - prime yellow (the brighter the better), wash the skin/flesh one or two times with a green wash, pick out the metal and detail colors, wash the whole mini with brown, clean up/highlight a bit. They're orks, the more simple you get the better since there'll be a metric fuckton of them.

That's pretty much how Cataphract paints her Orks, it works pretty well. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636853&userid=63555#post430156558

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Looks like a neat effect, this vid shows it off pretty well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FsxJwSDx4g

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Lord Twisted posted:

I'm UK based, any alternatives you'd recommend?

Brown Dettol does the trick so long as you don't mind the smell of disinfectant:

The main thing to bear in mind is to not rinse the minis in water until they're well scrubbed and the paint is removed, as it will re-congeal the paint into a horrible mess.

I've had success with it, I tend to put some in a jar with the minis, seal it and put it in the garage for a couple of days. Note it will weaken glue bonds too so some re-assembly will be required.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

A bunch of my yellows and oranges have all gone bad. I don't know if it's always been this way or it's just the yellow pigment GW uses these days, but my pots of Squig Orange, Flash Gitz Yellow, and Yriel Yellow are all bubbly, slightly colored water, with a bunch of chunky goop at the bottom I can't really use. I think they're all from about 2-3 years ago so it's not like they have the worst shelf life, but I've got old Foundation paints and hexpots that I've had for a decade that are still fine, albeit in different colors.

Sounds like a bad batch or something, I've had Flash Gitz for a few years and had no problems with it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Talking of paints going bad etc., does anyone know of a good replacement for Gretchin Green (old GW Foundation) - my pot's down to its last dregs and I still have a ton of Grots, Gnoblars and Goblins to paint.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Anasurimbur posted:

I have a stupid question for anyone who is interested in helping a noobie to both 40k as well as to miniature painting.

According to everything I've read and have seen, Space Wolves (my army) and Marines in general have a setup wherein they color and adorn their shoulders. The Grey Hunters, for instance, will have a crimson red pauldron, and a yellow left one. They would then be adorned with the appropriate insignia of the Chapter as well as their individual Squad type.

The box that I received contains only a certain set of shoulder pads to use. Among those are pads that have random insignia, like wolf heads, that I believe fit into a different "Unit" aka the role of that particular wolf.

Almost every Space Wolf I have seen has that yellow shoulder on their left shoulder, and the Space Wolf insignia. My question - is that a standard for the Space Wolf, then?

Currently, I primed and painted one. It's not fully done; no shading or anything else. Then, on closer inspection, I noticed it has an insignia of a wolf head on it. This seems / feels wrong. It shouldn't have anything so I can paint and/or place a transfer on the yellow pauldron.

So, now I'm stuck wondering if I've built this guy wrong and, if so, how to remedy the situation. Removal of the shoulder seems to make sense. But then I have to ask - the instructions given on building these didn't provide any information on the appropriate shoulders to place. Which is frustrating.

I know, now, to leave the left shoulder blank and to adorn the right possibly, again, with a blank. But why have these adorned shoulders at all if they tend to just fit into a specific group (again, Grey Hunters with their insignia on their red shoulder.)

This is really a 40k lore thing, but here goes: For Space Wolves, the left (right for termies) shoulder has the iconography of the Great Company they are part of. The GW studio army is mostly from Ragnar Blackmane's company so this is a black wolf head on a yellow background, but there are others, e.g. Logan Grimnar has a white wolf rampant on a black field. The other shoulder and sometimes other areas will have some kind of zig zaggy pattern - the colours are determined by squad type (red & yellow = blood claw, red & black = grey hunter, black & white = long fang, yellow & black = wolf guard) and the pattern is unique to each squad (as the whole squad advances through the ranks they update the relevant colour in their own pattern, exception is the wolf guard as they are selected from other squads).

But tbh Space Wolves are anything but standard so if you want to reverse it or whatever it's no big deals. GW just includes the sculpted pads to make it simpler to do the studio scheme.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Looks like either a previous Codex or one of the painting guides.

I'll have a look through my spare transfers but tbh GW's pretty committed to Ragnar as their poster child so I doubt there's anything other than his company's markings.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Anasurimbur posted:

The one they offer on the store, currently, appears to have three:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-IE/Space-Wolf-Decals

The Stormwolves, The Drakeslayers, and the Blackmanes. This is, of course, incredibly frustrating although I understand the potential loss in cash in printing every Chapter.

Dug em out. I have a bunch of really old ones, small sheets which are pretty much entirely Ragnar's stuff, but I also have a handful of these I'm never likely to use, dunno if they're of use to you (sorry for blurry shot):

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I case anyone cares I started my Gargant log over on Da Waaargh http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54424

Not repeating it here because screw that, but I can recommend not buying anything from Tsipis if that's an indicator of their usual quality.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

GreenMarine posted:

That looks like an early generation 3d printer. We have them at the office (have many gens) and there are some tell-tale signs in the way the agents are layered up. It's not a cast model, but 3d printed. You could do that at home.

It's a cast model, but they made the moulds from a 3D print (without tidying up the print first). The underside of the feet make it clear that resin's been poured.

Also if it were a 3D print I doubt the rivets would have gotten so mangled.

TTerrible posted:

That is shockingly bad quality. I'm surprised you didn't request a refund.

I probably should but I guess I'm too nice a guy for that. As bad as it is it's still going to wind up much easier to use it as a base than scratch building my own one.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

That knight rocks SRM! Now paint up some Lamenter allies for your Ultras :D

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

I just finished up my unit of 12 Reiksguard. I had to mix in some Knights Panther bits because that's just what I have, but I'm pretty happy with the results nonetheless:

These guys are looking solid. Almost makes me want to dig out my Warhams and get more of them painted up for my KOW force (but this month will likely be a 40k month, have stuff to prepare for the goonmeet).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Moola posted:

only get dettol if you can't find Fair Power spray

it's so much better at stripping and easier to work with

Not necessarily true any more, IIRC they changed the active ingredients and Power Spray isn't good any more? I could be misremembering though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

X-post, I finished up a Tyrannofex last night:

Hive Fleet Jötunn grows :black101: :

Those are some solid frosty 'nids! Would love to see a whole army.