Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Sorry for the quote from the old thread...

Serotonin posted:

I have finally cracked the whip and got my gaming group to finish the Malifaux crew we all clubbed together to buy for another member of the group whos recently been diagnosed with cancer and is having a tough time. Im really pleased with everyones efforts and the crew, despite being painted by 5 different people, all hang together well (I think me doing all the basing so it all looks the same has helped big time).

Going to give it to our mate next week, so hopefully hes not too knocked off from radiotherapy to be made up!

but just an update to say my mates treatment was successful and has just been given the all clear. Thanks to everyone who gave their best wishes in the last thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I'm tempted to try painting my first miniature with my left hand this weekend. I lost use of my right arm (supposedly temporary but after 8 weeks of every day all day physiotherapy it's not massively improved. ) following a critical il illness in May and haven't painted since. Missing it loads.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

krushgroove posted:

drat, dude that sucks. Take inspiration from Lefty Perry!

Exactly who I was thinking of.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Oh man, sorry to hear that. I love your stuff. Hang in there, both with the therapy and learning to use your left hand! It's totally doable.

Maybe start oathing a little as a retraining. Your new nickname could be 'Sinister Serotonin'.

Thanks for the compliment and that's a great idea. I might just do the oath thing. Will have to start simple though.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Serotonin posted:

I'm tempted to try painting my first miniature with my left hand this weekend. I lost use of my right arm (supposedly temporary but after 8 weeks of every day all day physiotherapy it's not massively improved. ) following a critical il illness in May and haven't painted since. Missing it loads.

Goddam this is harder than I expected mainly because of my inability to move my right wrist so all those little twists of the mini to get easy access to hidden parts is a nightmare.

Anyway have a WIP if my first 45 mins of frustration

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Finished other than the shield which I can't do because my wife's not around to cut the decal out. Oh and needs some flock

Not bad considering I guess. Had to rely on washes a lot more than usual though.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Thanks for the encouragement.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Possibly but it might be a faff to have to clamp and re lamp it every time I want to paint another part and that might be tricky to do one handed. In some ways it's been a good workout for my hosed hand/wrist having to grip and twist as best as it can.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Cross posting from the oath thread

Finished my first model since my illness and all painted with the left hand.

Fairly pleased with it considering although the shield rim/boss looks a tad sloppy, but it was pretty hard to do and Ive always hated doing shields. Definitely inspired to do some more now.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Just picked up a cheap Badger Patriot at a war games show. Happy.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

krushgroove posted:

Was that from Steve at the Barwell Bodyworks stand? I forget what show they're at today but I'll be with him for Derby World Wargames in October, should be really good (and I'll invariably go home with more new stuff).

Haha yes. Colours was the show and it was a really good price (£50). Been lusting after one for ages but they are usually around the £80 mark.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

krushgroove posted:

Cool! We also do a beginner's airbrushing class later in the year, it's specifically for wargamers if you want to learn everything there is to know about using it.

Sounds good although I'm not actually new to airbrushing (although admittedly no expert). I've been using the cheap Chinese knock offs to learn with but had a hankering for something a little more substantial. Mind you I am new to airbrushing left handed which could be interesting

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Avenging Dentist posted:

Quick question on colors, since it's a pain in the rear end to get the right paints on the first try through mail order (or even in-store really). I want to get something roughly like this for the skin of my Kukulkani. Maybe without quite so much green "moss" though (the dude's shin is about exactly what I want

I like what I've used of VMC paints so far, so I was thinking of using VMC Turquoise, Deep Sky Blue, and Sky Blue, and then highlight with Sky Blue + White/Ivory. Maybe a wash of Black Green or Citadel Coelia Greenshade? Thoughts?

That looks similar to how I did my Skorne Immortals.

I base coated with VGC Falcon Turquoise , dry brushed them a lighter shade then hit them with Storm Cloud and Algae washes from Secret Weapon Washes. Looked very like the effect you want. Can't find a picture right now as I sold them on.

Edit: found a pic of a WIP shot although the stone was mostly done

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 13, 2015

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

For those of you who might remember I was having to learn to paint again left handed following a period of critical illness. After months of physio I've abandoned that idea and gone back to painting with my hosed up hand.

These are my first finished minis painted right handed post damage. In pretty pleased with them and feel encouraged I can get my mojo back.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 12, 2016

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Nah it's part of a kit I bought to do Autumn woodland bases. Lovely stuff

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I've only used AP Matt once and it was a disaster, totally frosted my minis.

I use this

http://www.figuresincomfort.net/products/varnishes-and-paints/fic-matt-varnish.html
( rebranded HMG varnish)
And it's great, as good if not better than Testors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Here's my last couple of weeks painting. I'm really pleased considering I couldn't use my right hand for much of the last 9 months