Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

GaistHeidegger posted:

That does sound very handy then. I am putting together an order on Reaper's site and I could swear their paints used to be $3/bottle--did they have a price increase? They're $3.25 apiece now. They also sell the paints as triad sets for $9.85 which seems a little bizarre when buying them separately makes for $9.75.

Edit: Whoops, 3.29, so you do save two cents on the triads I suppose.

I'll toss my vote in for the flesh-tone triads as well; they're very convenient, plus the variety of shades nicely covers a number of "uncommon" skin tones (think non-caucasian). For example, their Dusky Skin Triad was instrumental in helping me finish this Drizzt for the oath thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

TheBlobThing posted:

This, except for some of their early kits. I know from experience that the Panzer IV kits are a pain in the rear end to assemble, and I've heard the same of the T-34 kit. Not Open Fire horrible, but enough that if I'd ever need more Panzer IV's (I won't), I'd pay extra for the Battlefront ones.

Apparently you can get new one piece track sprues now to make them less hideously fiddly, although having assembled their Churchills, T-34s and Tigers I found the latter two weren't that much more tedious than the first.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I painted this Trollbloods Sorcerer to use as my Iron Kingdoms RPG character.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

moths posted:

So everything you've heard about the FoW Open Fire! starter box Shermans is true.

http://theminikingdom.blogspot.com/2013/01/flames-of-war-open-fire-sherman-fixes.html

First result in Google.

I really hope you didn't finish all of them before you see this post.

Edit: The new plastic BF plastics are better than PSC from what I have seen in person.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 4, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Tonight I used super clean degreaser instead of simple green for the first time. It was way better. It took me probably 2-3 times less effort and almost all the paint sloshed off by itself.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

BULBASAUR posted:

Tonight I used super clean degreaser instead of simple green for the first time. It was way better. It took me probably 2-3 times less effort and almost all the paint sloshed off by itself.

It has taken almost 2 years, but I will convert you all.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Numlock posted:

http://theminikingdom.blogspot.com/2013/01/flames-of-war-open-fire-sherman-fixes.html

First result in Google.

I really hope you didn't finish all of them before you see this post.

Edit: The new plastic BF plastics are better than PSC from what I have seen in person.

Although this helps somewhat, they are still a horrible kit to put together. I got gaps in the front plates of the Fireflies, and the sides on the regular Shermans still don't fit 100%.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ugh! I still have two to assemble, but that would have saved me so much effort...

I wound up mummy-wrapping every model in rubber bands, which left some small gaps that are fixable.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I have finally cracked the whip and got my gaming group to finish the Malifaux crew we all clubbed together to buy for another member of the group whos recently been diagnosed with cancer and is having a tough time. Im really pleased with everyones efforts and the crew, despite being painted by 5 different people, all hang together well (I think me doing all the basing so it all looks the same has helped big time).

Going to give it to our mate next week, so hopefully hes not too knocked off from radiotherapy to be made up!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
While Im at it, heres my Malifaux Gremlin crew

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Indolent Bastard posted:

Pony Clamps, specific wording is important.

Oh gently caress sorry yeah those are the exact ones and the tiny ones are the style I was referring to.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BULBASAUR posted:

You should uh come over tonight. You could borrow some dudes to play with.

Bring the degreaser.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

JoshTheStampede posted:

I use mostly Reaper. The triad system is great, but my only complaint is that sometimes the 3 colors are a little too close together for the level of contrast I want so I wind up using a darker or lighter color as a final shade/highlight.

The skin tones are great though, I find most "flesh" paint to be really bright and cartoony - Bronzed Flesh too orange, Elf Flesh too pink, and so on. Reaper ones are much more realistic and interesting colors and there's dozens of them.

I also basically can't live without the Liners and off-whites triad at this point.

Yeah, once you go Rosy Skin Triad, you never go back.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Serotonin posted:

I have finally cracked the whip and got my gaming group to finish the Malifaux crew we all clubbed together to buy for another member of the group whos recently been diagnosed with cancer and is having a tough time. Im really pleased with everyones efforts and the crew, despite being painted by 5 different people, all hang together well (I think me doing all the basing so it all looks the same has helped big time).

Going to give it to our mate next week, so hopefully hes not too knocked off from radiotherapy to be made up!

That's an awesome set of models and you sound like an awesome set of friends. I hope his treatment goes well. You're right, the great basing job really brings the group together nicely.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Holy crap these look sweet. I have wanted to try my hand with some Malifaux models. They look refreshing after tons of PP stuff.

Speaking of which, here's a bunch of Cryx I've been working on for the past few months. Each photo links to an album with buttloads of additional views.

Denny1, the model that started my third faction.

Skarre1

Bloodwitch

Gerlack

Mecha Thralls

Denny2

!amicable fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 8, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Just finished up this tank for my Cadians. I'm not entirely happy with it, since Army Painter's Greenskin and GW's Abaddon Black are two of the worst paints I've ever had to use. Each of them took 3-4 coats just to cover the undercoat, which was already Army Painter's (actually really good) Greenskin primer. I got kind of frustrated so some parts don't look quite as good as I wish they did, but it's ready for the tabletop:

Now some of the more astute/ancient of you might think "Wait a minute! The Exterminator didn't come out until 3rd edition!" and well, you'd be right. I actually had this same realization after I'd bought the drat thing. However, I think I worked out an amicable solution:

Thanks for the ideas on the banner, guys!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I'm selling my Space Marines and a 2nd edition Blood Bowl Dwarf Team.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669778

Stop by, take a look, buy my stuff, and become one of the cool kids.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

Just finished up this tank for my Cadians. I'm not entirely happy with it, since Army Painter's Greenskin and GW's Abaddon Black are two of the worst paints I've ever had to use. Each of them took 3-4 coats just to cover the undercoat, which was already Army Painter's (actually really good) Greenskin primer. I got kind of frustrated so some parts don't look quite as good as I wish they did, but it's ready for the tabletop:

Now some of the more astute/ancient of you might think "Wait a minute! The Exterminator didn't come out until 3rd edition!" and well, you'd be right. I actually had this same realization after I'd bought the drat thing. However, I think I worked out an amicable solution:

Thanks for the ideas on the banner, guys!

That owns so hard. Sorry you had trouble with lovely paints, you did a bang up job regardless! Don't worry about being revisionist, my RT Sallies have a 2nd ed Vindicator and a couple of 2nd/3rd ed conversions, it's the overall look that counts :)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zark the Damned posted:

That owns so hard. Sorry you had trouble with lovely paints, you did a bang up job regardless! Don't worry about being revisionist, my RT Sallies have a 2nd ed Vindicator and a couple of 2nd/3rd ed conversions, it's the overall look that counts :)
Thank you! At the very least it made me reconsider how I was going to do things for my Shadowsword, which will not be using those lovely paints when I get to it. You should post more of your old Sallies in the thread! Your Whirlwind convinced me to pull the trigger and hunt down the Epicast turret.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

BULBASAUR posted:

Hear hear! It hurts me as an Ork player to admit that green is bad and purple is good but it's the truth. Never not use Super Clean.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BlackIronHeart posted:

Hear hear! It hurts me as an Ork player to admit that green is bad and purple is good but it's the truth. Never not use Super Clean.

Hey man, purple is blue and red combined, so it's lucky and goes fast. What's not orky about that? :orks101:

orks don't have a separate association for purple, do they?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

JerryLee posted:

Hey man, purple is blue and red combined, so it's lucky and goes fast. What's not orky about that? :orks101:

orks don't have a separate association for purple, do they?

Nobody has ever seen a purple Ork :colbert:

Ork Kommandos is purple, dey's da sneakiest and ded killy :orks:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm painting my Salamanders' helmet lenses yellow. It feels sacrilegious because it's not red but whatever.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I'm running a special Halloween scenario Mordheim game this halloween, I need your best Halloween minis, super cheesy is OK and I'm going with a vague fantasy theme (so no modern stuff but I'd make an exception for Doctor Frankenstein or something). I have the Reaper pumpkin golems and grave digger/assistant pack.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I'm running a special Halloween scenario Mordheim game this halloween, I need your best Halloween minis, super cheesy is OK and I'm going with a vague fantasy theme (so no modern stuff but I'd make an exception for Doctor Frankenstein or something). I have the Reaper pumpkin golems and grave digger/assistant pack.
http://www.spellcrow.com/dyniaq-c-1_34.html

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Weathering powders: What's the best applicator for the lowest amount of money? I've tried a Tamiya weathering brush, and as far as I can tell it's just an eyeshadow applicator with a fancy name, so I bought some of those. I don't want to be using my fingers for this every time. What do you guys use for dry application of pigments?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

signalnoise posted:

Weathering powders: What's the best applicator for the lowest amount of money? I've tried a Tamiya weathering brush, and as far as I can tell it's just an eyeshadow applicator with a fancy name, so I bought some of those. I don't want to be using my fingers for this every time. What do you guys use for dry application of pigments?

A normal synthetic brush. I bought a set for £1.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I've been using Q tips, seems to work for me

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

I'm painting my Salamanders' helmet lenses yellow. It feels sacrilegious because it's not red but whatever.

The studio scheme uses yellow, or at least it did when I was still doing 40k. I preferred and did red on mine, but yellow is cool too.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

serious gaylord posted:

A normal synthetic brush. I bought a set for £1.

Whenever I try to use brushes, the pigment just kinda seems to rest on the brush and fall off when I go to apply it. Do you do anything special to it?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

SRM posted:

Awesome

You are being far too hard on yourself. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that tank whatsoever.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

Thank you! At the very least it made me reconsider how I was going to do things for my Shadowsword, which will not be using those lovely paints when I get to it. You should post more of your old Sallies in the thread! Your Whirlwind convinced me to pull the trigger and hunt down the Epicast turret.

I need to dig more Sallies and get em stuck together and painted. May get a couple of things done this month (probably some =I= allies) if I'm not too burned out from other stuff. Too many projects etc. plus Spiel and helping a local games club move venue is killing my painting time this month.

Star Man posted:

Heretic! :commissar: Everyone knows the true Salamanders colours are dark green with red lenses and red left arms on the apothecaries with yellow helmet markings for sergeants! (and also Dark Angels wear black and never stole the original Salamanders scheme)

Nah seriously they're your mans, paint em whatever colours make you happy :)

I did paint some other stuff today! (Xpost from Oath thread)

Zark the Damned posted:

Oath Complete ?!?

Apparently insomnia kicking in is really good for my painting productivity but really lovely for me being able to take decent photos. I may retake and resubmit these if I get the chance, maybe oath some more stuff.

Modern Adventurer - Angie 'Angel' Jackson, bounty hunter. Painted up to mimic Howard Jackson, a similarly styled Reaper figure I painted ages ago (who guest stars later).

Martial Artist 1 - 'Bubbles', the Backstreet Brawler.

Martial Artist 2 - Kimoko, Honourable Referee.

Martial Artist 3 - Ping, the Muay Thai Legend.

But wait, there's more! I also took some group shots:

The Jacksons and their temporary buddy Simon team up in a car park to pop caps in some Zees and Strike a Pose. Terrible fanfiction follows.

Also this:

This is my Jurnal Entry and also a Diorama entitled 'Charity Match' - a friendly exhibition bout twixt two fighters with all proceeds going to charity. There's meant to be a backdrop which slots into the back of the diorama base but my printer packed up. Just imagine it's a scene out of street fighter with a nifty backdrop like this - http://www.karatestl.com/images/ShuriCastle.jpg (I will try and retake pics once I've sorted out the proper backdrop).

As for the Jurnal itself, the figures represent charities / organisations etc.

Kimoko wears pink as per traditional Breast Cancer Awareness.

Bubbles and Ping wear blue and green respectively - the colours of Extra Life and Child's Play, two children's hospital charities I am supporting this year.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I finished my first Hordes model! I wanted to make up a scheme similar to a Great Horned Owl, so his face has a pattern mimicking them from head on. I like the idea of an autumn theme for the rest of the group, but I haven't quite worked out how that will go yet.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

signalnoise posted:

Whenever I try to use brushes, the pigment just kinda seems to rest on the brush and fall off when I go to apply it. Do you do anything special to it?

I use an old drybrush. Larger one for bigger areas and smaller one for smaller ones. Basically you want to get some pigment onto it, then mash it around on a paper towel or something, and then rub it onto the model. From what you say you're doing I think you need to use more force. Its not like paint that just flows onto the model- you have to actually rub it in.

Indolent Bastard posted:

It has taken almost 2 years, but I will convert you all.

LingcodKilla posted:

Bring the degreaser.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Never not use Super Clean. Stuff owns. It is slightly worse for your skin than simple green, but it killed/dried out my skin about the same at the end. Considered I had to spend way less time using the stuff its a fair trade.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
I used Future Floor Polish to gloss varnish some minis and I'm waiting in my 2nd coat of Liquitex Matte Varnish to try and cut the gloss. There was still a lot after my first coat. Problem with using the floor polish or using Liquitex?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This is turning into a bit of slog to finish. I am not a fan of Edgar's Primarchs at all, but he is getting there. Slowly.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If I have a budget of around 250 US, what should I get to go from having exactly nothing to a full airbrush setup? There are a billion choices and there's no info in the OP about airbrushes.

I want something for general use, I'm getting the Operation Icestorm set soon and my old method of brush priming with gesso will just be way too tedious to deal with that whole box.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Swagger Dagger posted:

If I have a budget of around 250 US, what should I get to go from having exactly nothing to a full airbrush setup? There are a billion choices and there's no info in the OP about airbrushes.

I want something for general use, I'm getting the Operation Icestorm set soon and my old method of brush priming with gesso will just be way too tedious to deal with that whole box.

I also would assume gesso would obliterate the details on Infinity models.

Personally I would skip the trash ebay brush and get a Badger Patriot 105, an amazon compressor (I think the TC-108 is the one everyone has?) and the various hoses and connectors to hook it all up. That should be right around 200 bucks all told.

Off the top of my head you'd need a Badger air hose and a badger-to-Iwata connector? Someone can correct me if I am wrong there.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Any tips on painting something to look cast iron?

Like an old wood or coal burning stove?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008
Started painting about a month and a half ago with the Hordes Trollblood battlebox. Today I finished the first model I'm legitimately proud of. That having been said I'd love to hear advice, tips, tricks, feedback and criticism. Only way I'll get better is to have people point out where I can approve. Apologies if the pics aren't the best, I don't have a light box setup.

• Locked thread