Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Greetings thread. My daughter and I started playing D&D a couple months ago, which meant getting some minis, so I started lurking in this thread, and recently did some painting for the first time since 1983-5 when teen-age me badly painted D&D minis. I also discovered Warhammer / Kill Team, so I have a whole new range to paint badly. Here's some of what I have done the last month, which thanks to the advice here came out not too bad I think. These are in chronological order, so hopefully there is some improvement over time. Still need to work on contrast, smoother blends (although my camera and crappy picture taking seems to make them look worse than they are) and learning to take better pictures.

Some of the Orc Kill Team.:

Members of the Kreig Kill Team (the silver came out crazy shiny in the photo):

An Umber Hulk, who will be my Devout demon in Reign in Hell:

Lastly, a Slaad I'm going to use for my Reign in Hell leader demon:

Thanks to everyone in the thread for sharing info and posting pictures for inspiration!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

I still have some work to do on these guys as well as the rest of my kommandos, but I was pretty pleased with these pictures taken by a staff member at the flgs during their first Kill Team tournament.

C&C welcome, as well as any advice on minimizing mold lines if it's even possible at this point.

Those, and the photography itself, look amazing.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Verisimilidude posted:

Working on some models for the game Reign in Hell. Gonna use this Reaper Efreeti as a leader for my army.

Nice! Reign in Hell is so fun. I'm almost done with my tentacle beast which is coming out nicely so it may be picture worthy!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Sab669 posted:

Not to dereail the thread but do you just play RIH with some closer friends or do your LGSs actually have support for it? I bought the PDF over Thanksgiving just because I like Vince and the other guy is pretty decent too but I haven't even finished reading the rules yet.

Love the concept of the game, though! I bought a few Reapers demony things that I would run if I were to play, but have yet to paint

I play the solo/ co-op expansion thingy with my daughter, and the pvp game with a friend in the neighborhood. Haven't seen it promoted or anyone playing at a LGS which makes sense, since they can't stock the game, and "Hey, buy some minis for an agnostic game we don't carry" probably doesn't dive much sales.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

protomexican posted:

Can I get an opinion on this airbrush?

https://www.michaels.com/neo-cn-gravity-feed-dual-action-airbrush/10366604.html

Thinking of pulling the trigger for 50 bux.

I bought one as babby's first airbrush since it's recommended in the OP of this very thread and I am quite happy with it. Obviously I do not have the experience of years of airbrushing / using fancier tools, but for $50 I think you will be very pleased with it even if you replace it in a year. I have had mine for ~4 months and I have no plans to upgrade since it is doing exactly what I need it for.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Verisimilidude posted:

Put together all of the star wars legion minis I've painted over the past 3 weeks, and a picture of my setup.

Ah ha! now we know your painting secret! It's Health-Aid kombucha, isn't it!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

I think those horse dudes are going to steal his big copper welcome mat...

I'm always amazed at your ability to paint those tiny things so dang well.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

dexefiend posted:

How did you get curved wood flooring? I have only seen it sold in straight boards?

The steam bending jig is behind the camera.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Furism posted:

While the bulb is great (I prefer 4K because it's neutral but maybe there are reasons I'm not aware of to go for a cooler white?) but in my experience the problem with these lamps is that the springs start to lose resistance after a year or two and so they don't hold as well. Maybe IKEA sells some spares though?

There's nothing special about the springs, they are just generic ones you can get at any home improvement store in a variety of tensions for $1-$2 a pair. I had my pair of these lamps delivered last week and I love them! I even remarked as I was putting them together that the springs were exactly the same ones I picked up from Lowe's to put tension on a woodworking jig I made a couple months ago.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

the fart question posted:

Hmm thanks, I’d not thought of trying flow improver, I’ll give that a try, and I’ll remember to wipe the nozzle regularly. It’s a shame, other paints go though fine, but primer and varnish have real trouble and are immensely frustrating.

I have a neo and prime with it with no issues. I use Vallejo surface primer thinned 3:1 primer:thinner and spray at 18 psi as decreed by St. Venturella.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Geburan posted:

I'm considering taking up mini painting, probably for smaller skirmish level games like Frostgrave and Gaslands. A number of links of the front page don't work anymore though. Any other resources you'd recommend for getting started?

Vince Venturella has a series called "Hobby Cheating" that is something like 300 videos. It has just about any information you might need. He even did a getting started video two days ago and links to all his other basic level videos in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXctnwW8Vt0

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

When you guys are airbrushing, how often do you have to clean the tip?

I tried again, making sure to do the actions online to reduce dry tip (bring forward before releasing) and thinning down more (used flow-aid and airbrush flow aid products on the stylrenz white primer) and even with spraying a model down (or half) and then stopping, wiping off the needle tip I was having to unclog the end of the "nozzle cap" almost every attempt. Like, it was so bad I would clean it, spray for maybe 20-30 seconds of spray, and it would be clogged again, and I'd have to spend 90 seconds cleaning it. Pretty annoying

Something is screwy with your airbrush. I'm still an airbrush newbie, but I have a "cheap" brush in the Iwata Neo, and I primed and zenithaled the entire Necron Worldscour Legion box in one sitting, with only a quick dump and rise cleaning between the black primer and the ink.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The Demilich posted:

I've always used p100's (specifically 3m 2097)for airbrushing on a 3m 6500 with no complaints.

Really hope I'm not secretly poisoning myself lol

P100 blocks 99.9% of particles .3 microns or larger. Paint sprayed from an airbrush is particulate matter, so you are doing exactly what you need to do. If you are using something with lots of toxic solvents / thinners, you'll want to look into organic vapor masks, but if you are spraying acrylic paint, a P100 filter is just fine.

This is a company that sells safety gear, so consider the source, but it explains the difference between filters and what they are used for: https://www.majorsafety.com/blogs/news/respirator-filters-and-cartridges-explained There's a link to the OSHA guide in there as well if you want lots and lots of detail.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
As I have said before, I'm still an airbrush beginner, but have had no issues with the brush / paint / cleaning etc. (all my problems are just my lack of practice =) and this video from Vince about cleaning and thinning paints is where I stole my process, and it has worked great as a starting point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEIJs1c4bsQ&t=2s

EDIT: also, here's his "ultimate guide" for air brushing, which is pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJcgf31v5RU He goes into detail on his thiner recipe and all sorts of other good stuff.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 23, 2022

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

did some work on this tonight

Edit: open to C&C if you want

Love the hue contrast upper / lower surfaces, and your individual volume shading is good (like the pads on the hand / fingers) but the overall contrast seems low. Might be the photo, but it seems like the model is being lit from a light that is in front of it below the eye-line? So the surfaces that face away from the light should be darker overall. "The darkest light is lighter than the lightest dark." Something I am trying to work on as well...

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Due to some unexpected eBay auction winning, I have some painted models that I would like to de-paint. Although I should just prime one of them to see how that works before stripping. But anyway, if my options are 70% Iso. or Green Stuff, which is better, and how long to soak them?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Oh yeah, that probably would have been helpful information... they are GW plastic minis. I assume they were painted with GW or other similar model acrylics.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Aranan posted:

I'm still a relative airbrush noob. I had my first clog (?) today where air was coming out, but none of the primer was. I stripped the brush down and tossed it in my ultrasonic cleaner for a few cycles with a dash of airbrush cleaner and hot water. No clue if that's the ideal cleaning solution, but it looks like it worked.

That said, I could use some advice on priming. I'm currently using Vallejo primers (gloss black right now because I'm using VMC Chrome as my basecoat) and I have no idea how much I'm supposed to thin them, if at all. I've watched a few videos and the consensus is that there is no consensus. One painter was using it straight from the bottle, another said to use airbrush thinner, and another said to avoid thinner and use flow improver. I've tried a few experiments myself but between getting clogs and spotty coverage, I think I'm doing something wrong.

I do what Vince Venturella says and do primer:thinner 3:1 or 4:1 at 20psi. Note that his thinner is actually a mix of thinner and flow improver! I'm still new to airbrushes, but I have watched his videos and have had good success so far:

Big huge airbrush video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJcgf31v5RU

Fast cleaning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEIJs1c4bsQ

\/\/ Wow, that looks amazing

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 22, 2022

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

IncredibleIgloo posted:

You definitely don't want to start with small curved areas, like space marine shoulder pads.

/me suddenly rethinks plan to do very first waterslide on chaos marine shoulder pad later today...

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If you have microsol/microset and the transfer itself is not so large it is manageable. But I would not start with the army champion, just a rank and file guy. Even if the transfer is wide it is not actually all that difficult. The most difficult ones are the large round ones on shoulder pad. You can use a razer or scalpel and make small cuts to allow the transfer to sit more evenly though if you are careful.

You should have a billion transfers you will never use, you can practice once or twice on the bottom of a base or spare bit to get the feel for them before commiting to the real thing. Some people are naturals at them, but I tore the first few I tried to apply and it was an exercise in frustration.

Yeah, I think the lid of my wet pallet is going to get some decorating. I can start on the flat part, and work my way to the rounded edge / corner!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Cheap brushes: Up in an old salsa jar.
Nice brushes: sideways in the holder part of my wet palette

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I have some Valejo Matte Varnish in a dropper bottle, and I have an airbrush. Is putting the former into the latter something I can do? If so, do I thin it? If I do thin it, with what and in roughly what ratio? I also assume I need to clean the living beejeepers out of it afterwords. I was hoping to varnish today outside with a spray can, but lol, it is snowing.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

the tertial is the goat

That’s what I got on thread recommendation and it is awesome.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Lawlicaust posted:

Buy speed paints and mix your own contrasts, imo. You can create a contrast like medium that works really well for cheap. There are a few contrast colors that are still good like apothecary white but I really like my homemade solution as much. Speedpaints are not something that people have been able to replicate yet.

You can get some really awesome effects very quickly with speedpaints. Contrast can give great effects too but they aren’t much faster than just heavily thinning paints.

What are your recipes for DIY contrast medium?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
In a attempt to learn how to take not crappy pictures of my minis (which compounds my crappy painting) I tried making a Lightbox type thing and took a bunch of photos. Here are the ones that same out adequately. Would love feed back on photography as well as painting, as I wish to improve!

A Necron and Necron Adjacent big meanie:

Some members of my Legionary Kill Team that I finished up yesterday. They are supposed to be all dirty and beat up from being really old and not having the best equipment maintenance regimen.

An Eldar ranger and his buddies:

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 30, 2022

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'll take better pictures tomorrow of these guys but I finished up the bases last night. My original plan was a really edgy pandemic reference but decided to dial it down and chose call these nurgle csm The Florida Men. Didn't really change my plan of putting them in a swamp

A friend of mine's a professional photographer and I asked him if I could bring over my stuff for a nerdy photo shoot tomorrow. So expect a lot of fancy pictures of models you've all seen before.

We'll forgive you if you take notes on how he shoots them and post. :v:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

SpaceViking posted:

I painted a face.

I think that model goes on a 40mm base.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Silhouette posted:

My booth is a cardboard box with an old Tshirt taped to the back and my ventilation unit is a box fan in a window, poo poo takes up almost zero extra space

Buy an airbrush please

My booth is a large plastic container with the bottom cut out, and a box fan bungee corded to it with a furnace filter between them. I also wear a half mask respirator because better safe than sorry.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
No pictures, but my WIP is a Delaque gang I zenithaled and am trying Speedpaints with. Having never used Contrast / Speed paiints before, it is very scary and different. But not bad!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I have Vallejo matte varnish, which I usually airbrush onto a bunch of models at once. However, this time, I only have one model. If I want to brush it on, do I just thin it with water, or should I use airbrush thinner? Or nothing, which I guess is also an option!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Any suggestions? Not sure what next to do with him

I'd add the three things that I learn my minis need every time I watch a Vince video:

* Contrast
* Contrast
* Contrast

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

My Spirit Otter posted:

i just picked up an airbrush and i'm wondering how you guys determine how much paint to thin out if you're going to be basecoating a bunch of minis?

I just figured it out as did it more and more. Depends so much on the paint, how thin, how many coats, how big are the minis, etc. Start with less than you think because it's easy to add more, and throwing away paint is wasteful.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

AndyElusive posted:

Speaking of painting dudes in subassemblies...

Finished the third Hellblaster of my 5 man Fortis Kill-Team Combat Squad today:

Mentor Legion!

Head, Arms holding the Plasma Rifle, Torso w/ Legs and Backpack were the subs for this one.

Wow, that's amazing.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

punishedkissinger posted:

I really like my Vallejo Metals except for Gold which is complete dogshit.

What do yall recommend instead?

Vince mixes in a bit of Vallejo copper into his Vallejo gold and since I do whatever he says, I have done so and it looks awesome. They also make an "Old Gold" which I like a lot, but it's definitely not a goldy gold.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The Demilich posted:

That'll do it.
Proper primer will chemically bond to whatever it is sprayed on. That makes a better surface for paint to adhere to.

IIRC acrylic primers contain polyurethane which is what does the bonding to the plastic and provides the (microscopic) nooks and crannies for paint to grab on to.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Laughing Zealot posted:

Starting out in this hobby with this guy. Just been messing with the base colors; black, runelord, leadbelcher and some tesseract. Decently happy with how he's turning out but I'm kinda wanting to add some random color on just parts of the armor, like just the shoulderplates or something, any suggestions on what could fit in?

I really like how just a tiny bit of tesseract on the barrell comes out, not a fan of painting the whole thing in that color.

Some things that would be easy / maybe helpful:

* A glaze of black or some other dark color over the silver bits. The values of the gold and silver are the same, so the whole mini reads as one big surface instead of "parts"
* Some chipping or weathering on the gold. There are dents in the sculpt, so he's obviously beaten up a little, so lean into it.

And then do a contrasting base: since the model is light / bright, a dark and textured base will be nice.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Vince V uses Vallejo Surface Primer, therefore it's good enough for anyone.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

MeinPanzer posted:

I've used Gorilla super glue gel for years and loved it, but the last four bottles I've bought from different suppliers on Amazon have all been dried out/too goopy to use without digging the glue out with a toothpick. Has anyone else encountered this? Or is it just another case of shady suppliers on Amazon?

At any rate, does anyone have any good recommendations for other reliable kinds of superglue and/or places to get good quality Gorilla super glue? I'm in the UK.

In in the US, so this may not apply, but all the big box home improvement retailers here (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) all carry Gorilla super glues, as well as most craft stores.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Gunder posted:

Can you post some pictures of the frosted minis?

Failing that, some pictures of frosted mini wheats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Apocron posted:

I should be a bit more adventurous.

"You will mess these up, then you will buy more and mess those up"