Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Pulled out an old bag of minis lurking in a closet. Thinking of painting some and stripped them. Tons of old Ral Partha and Grenadiers from the 70s and 80s!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Lamuella posted:

Now those are some bendy swords.

Haha yeah I’m afraid to set it back without snapping them. Lead seems real soft at least.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
My first miniature in approximately 30 years. Absolutely poo poo at taking a good picture just yet. He has wings as well, but the pictures I took of it with the wings are worse than this one. Still, I'm not mad at it!

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Old Grenadier bone dragon I feel pretty good about!

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Been working on this crazy thing for a while. Really enjoyed how detailed it is. I feel like I could keep poking at it forever and never be done. I’m not great at pics but here’s it is.

Ork Trukk!

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
That thing was a blast. What are the other good Ork models? In for a penny in for a pound.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Lostconfused posted:

I've been avoiding painting stuff for the past three days because the only thing that's left are smaller details and I keep smudging stuff and making mistakes and having to go fix up parts I already painted.

Edit:

Ok, that's it, first mini done in 20 years.

That's as much effort and money as I'm willing to put in at the moment. Now I just need to paint up 30 more guardsmen in the same style and that will be most of the combat patrol done.

As someone who’s basically in the same let’s-give-this-a-try mode after a real long time, I think that looks real nice! Hope you’re having fun.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Yeah I’m pretty sure this hobby could bankrupt a person if they’re not careful.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I bought the Ork combat squad today and I’m holding myself to not buying anything until I finish it all.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

I’m gonna do it! I believe in myself!

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

Bo peeps I've seen your other posts and I am glad you enjoy this little hobby of painting tiny mans :smoobles:

I've mostly hung up my posting pants but am happy to discuss my descent into mini madness ITT

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Helicopter boyz primed and ready

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Cardboard Fox posted:

Is this the "slapchop" method I've been hearing about? I don't think I'm ready to try new things like that yet, but some of the results do look really cool.

The orks I did just above are the black->grey->white primer progression people use for slap chop. I really like the effect.

I do the final white streaky on purpose because I think it fits the Ork look.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
My family never knows what to get me for Christmas, so I'll be dropping hints for more orks THAT I WILL NOT PAINT UNTIL I FINISH THE COMBAT PATROL

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Almost done with these copter orks!

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Still working on my Ork combat patrol. I almost like the primed look good enough to leave it alone.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Putting green on the boyz. That’s it for today I think.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Lostconfused posted:

I do prefer the lighter shade of green that citadel goes with for orks.

The army painter orc skin is a bit too intense for me.

Yeah I get that. The army painter stuff is just so easy breezy to work with for a lot of the shades though. I intend to do a light brush on them down the line to soften them ups bit.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Feeling pretty good about this guy! Still slowly working through my Ork combat patrol box. NO I WILL NOT OPEN THE KILL RIG BOX I GOT FOR MY BIRTHDAY

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Some boyz!

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I’m going to drill the bores. I’m well aware!

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Yeah I need to find my dremel. It’s somewhere in the basement.

Still enjoying painting these dudes for these recent weeks after not doing it for .. 35 years?

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
That Modern Masters Metal Effects stuff looks pretty great though. Appreciate showing off the different products.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

EdsTeioh posted:

Thanks, yeah I like that stuff a lot! If you're in the states, you can get it at JoAnn Fabric and use their coupon on it; comes out to about $16 for 2oz of the paint and activator.

Looks like JoAnn Fabric doesn't deliver that product even though I'm in the States and it's weirdly expensive on Amazon? Still, I could see myself springing for that at some point. It's a nice effect.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Going to see if I can do the finishing touches on my Ork Combat Patrol this long weekend and post the final pieces.

Been fun getting into this over the last few months.

After this, the KILL RIG.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Enjoying playing with rusty weathering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

w00tmonger posted:

This looks awesome. I see the dirty down hiding there!

Absolutely rad paint, if a bit finicky sometimes. Really seems to be something that wants to be experimented with

Yeah it’s a fun paint for sure. I put it on heavy then poked and prodded at it with wet q-tips. Then hit raised edges with silver.

Not the most complex process but really has a nice look off that’s what you’re going for.