Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

To get back into painting, I bought some snap-together chaos marines for cheap on eBay. I'm going to paint them as different chaos armies just for fun. It's kind of liberating to stop worrying about army composition and wargear and stuff and just paint.

Here's the first one, thought I would share:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Well you're officially back into painting. That looks awesome.

I can't wait to see your slaanesh and tzeentch.

You might be the only one that cares, but I finished a Slaanesh marine! I like how it turned out (mostly).

Next up is Khorne.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

But maybe he's just new to Slaanesh and hasn't had time to really let his hair down yet.

Yeah, he's new to Slaanesh. He listens to Godsmack and drinks light beer. He only has one penis. His name is Jeff. He's working on it.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Post 9-11 User posted:

Making bright pink look badass isn't easy, that looks really really good.

Thank you! I really wanted to go with pink instead of purple, but I tried to keep the pink portions to a minimum compared to the black. I wanted them to look like the GW boxes, same with the Nurgle guy.

Some crazy great painters in this thread, but I'm also impressed at everyone doing their own sculpting or casting, 'cause drat.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

What are the GW "classic" eye/lens colors for Khorne and Tzeentch chaos marines? Is it bright green for both?

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm still not happy with how my bases look. I just can't seem to get it right.

I was just scrolling past and thought "oh, those bases look cool and different, I wonder how that was done". I think they look pretty nice.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Wow, I actually finished a project! I'm really happy with my Tzeentch guy, definitely my favorite thing I've painted so far, so now you all have to look at it.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Yeah they all look amazing, great work on that cloak. Wouldn't mind seeing more of the one in red.

Red dude took the longest by far, I ended up re-doing a lot of the red and the brass and eventually I just got impatient and rushed through parts of it.

Thanks for the compliments. I think my next project will be a similar assortment except for Warmachine.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Super Waffle posted:

Are those guys from a set or did you convert them?

They are all from the Dark Vengeance boxed set, no conversions. Nurgle and Slaanesh guys are from a squad of 6 chaos chosen, Khorne guy is an aspiring champion, and Tzeentch is a chaos lord. They were $15 USD on eBay for the lot. They are not the best models, I think they are meant to be a snap-together starter set. Some of the details are "extruded" and have no real sides or back, as if they were only meant to be viewed from one angle.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Also voting black rims. Or at least a much darker shade of whatever the rest of the base is. When the rim is the same color as the base, it just looks to me like the model is standing on an undefined lump.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Red Shoe posted:

Cross-posting Constance Blaize and Gallant, I spent most of the month on these two.

These look fantastic. How did you do that soft blue for the ribbons and trim? It looks perfectly "Cygnar" to me.

Medium Style fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 31, 2015

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Before I start my next project, I'd like to try out some new stuff. One thing I should probably try is oil washes but I'm a little confused. I am mostly interested in using them for shading (I don't usually care to do heavy weathering or big models with broad flat surfaces). These might be stupid questions:

- Can oil washes be used in all of the same situations where one would use an acrylic washes/shades?
- I only see people using black or umber oils, how does that work with shading red or green or blue? Do I need several colors of oil paint besides black and umber?
- What gloss varnish is recommended? Preferably something brush-on, I don't have an airbrush.

Thanks!

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Thanks - what would be a good handful of oil paints to pick up if I am just starting with the stuff?

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Big Willy Style posted:

Black, raw sienna and burnt umber.

I want to experiment with using other colours on chaos marines to try out a cell shaded look but those are the three you want for doing natural looking shading

This goes back to my earlier question - those three colors will shade the majority of what I will be working with? I never see anyone using red/purple oil paint to shade red armor or a dark blue oil to shade a blue model like you would with acrylic washes. I'm wondering why that is.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

signalnoise posted:

OK so what are the preferred best use paints? Maybe some paint picking suggestions could go in the OP by purpose?

I'm no expert but I see people praising P3 and Reaper in general, Vallejo Air or Vallejo Liquid Gold for metallics, and Citadel for shades/washes.

I started using Vallejo Game Color because 1) they are a better value than Citadel, 2) they come in dropper bottles, and 3) it is easy to find matches for the majority of Citadel paints. The second one is important to me because I have literally knocked over every bottle of paint that I own. The third one is important to me because I am bad at art and I like to use other people's stuff as a guide, and tutorials on the internet tend to speak in terms of Citadel paints.

I have some P3 for skin tones and it seems like good stuff until I knock over the jar. VGC skin tones are too yellow or orange for me. I was also disappointed in the Vallejo line of washes, some dried cloudy and some were not strong enough.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Big Willy Style posted:

Paint off of a palette so you dont have to worry knocking over your paints, you can use a wet palette if you are worried about wastage. Also I kinda hate dropper bottles because they are always getting clogged so my collection tends to lean to Coat D Arms, P3 and Citadel.

I do paint from a palette. I started using a homemade wet palette just recently, which has been great. Still, if the jar is open and exists somewhere in the known universe, I will knock it over. If it is closed, then I have already knocked it over while closing it.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

A wet palette will keep paints from drying out. Like I said, I just started using one and it's a huge difference. I made it with less than $5 worth of stuff and it took two minutes to create. I can do an entire miniature with literally one or two drops of paint and still have wet paint left over to do touch ups at the end.

It does cause problems with the consistency for me. It waters down the paint slightly on its own and I'm not used to judging consistency on a wet piece of parchment paper. I need more experience with it.

Thanks, miniatures painting thread!

Medium Style fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

So a friend of mine talked me into Warmachine. I bought a squad of cool looking dudes and painted them. Haven't painted in a while and thought I'd share.

Tried going for recognizable Menoth colors while avoiding purple/red trim. Also tried not to sweat the details too much because I wanted to get them done in a reasonable amount of time.