Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

Finished up my Steel Legion armies' Armageddon Ork Hunter unit;

These are super pro and with a little snow on the bases would look even more legit. :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

Going for Ash Wastes / Hive City limits - so a bit hot for snow, me thinks.

Yeah I'm just making a dumb joke- both my 40k armies had almost identical bases, even down to the occasional razorwire. Just mine had patches of snow as well.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
More pics for the pics god

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

I finished the last of the Meganobz! They've been sitting on my painting table as I passed them over for Kommandos and other projects, but I've finally bulked the squad out to 9 of the big lugs.

More of this, less neverending arguments about technique

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Holy poo poo people actually pay 12 dollars a can for that poo poo? You can literally get the same results with cheap rusto 2X flat black primer as you can with GW.

Come on, don't be disingenuous. That's not a fair comparison.

2x is not literally the same results. It's much better results! At least for the black primer- I didn't care for their white.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yellow = the worst

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah don't use a black wash for painting white.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If Astronomican Gray was still a thing, your problems painting white would be easily solved.

GW axing the Foundation range bums me out to this day. Astronomican White, Dheneb Stone, Charadon Granite are amazing. Knarloc Green and Solar Mach. Orange were dope too.

Pouring out another 40 of Mt. Dew for the Foundation range. :smith:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I painted some Trollkin Scouts. They're cool sculpts with bad rules, but hopefully better with the soon to be released Mk3 rules!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

Imperial Fists Sicaran Venator incoming:

Got to try out lots of new stuff with this one. First time doing any real airbrush stuff beyond basecoating, and first time using weathering powders

It was good fun :)

This owns, Fists own, everything owns

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I painted my Pirate Gorman finally. This was an exclusive alt sculpt given to Press Gangers awhile back. He's a pirate, so I made him gaudy/fancy compared to his usual matte black look.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Those Ultramarines own hard. I feel like they need one more spot color though. Do heresy era marines have the whole system of different colored helmets for leaders? That would help.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Totally makes sense. I brain farted, forgot you already have super bright awesome Ultras. Go grim dark as hell with these.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gargunza posted:

The shading on that black is really nice, makes it look a lot more cloth-y than if it had higher contrast/brighter highlights. How'd you do that, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks man. It's nothing too fancy. White primer, basecoat of VMC Black Grey, then wash of Nuln Oil. I then layered up with the Black Grey again followed by 2-3 layers of Black Grey successively lightened with... P3 Stonewall Grey I think? Pretty sure that was it- some lighter gray at any rate. I then black-lined the cloak and did some straight black in the deepest recesses.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I painted a troll dude wielding a bazooka.

I don't think much else needs said, there.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
SRM those ultramarine mans are very cool and good.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

I so rarely see this guy painted in non-Word Bearers colors, but here's the Chaplain from Betrayal at Calth:

I tried adding a transfer to his cape to give it some cool trim but I couldn't get it to sit right among all the flowing fabric, so I just tossed that out. Unfortunately it kinda bleached the area I'd tried applying the transfer to, but I was able to touch it up and fix the problem.

Cool and good space mans

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I used to use badab black over knarloc green for my orks and they were pretty ok imo. Try some test models and see what works best for you.

Edit found examples in another post

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 9, 2016

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I painted the Hunters Grim for my Trollbloods. Put if off for a long time because they're such good sculpts and I was intimidated. Happy to finally be done with them.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

I did a thing. Yay.

Nice clean work, good stuff.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

These guys own. That wood grain is to die for, and those glowing runes are sick.

Mugaaz posted:

These guys are sweet, how do you do the wood grain?

Thanks dudes. Mugaaz: I mostly relied on the sculptor's hard work. The wood grain is sculpted in. So, white primer -> thin coat of of GW Steel Legion Drab -> Agrax wash. I might have went back over in places with the SLD, but to be honest I can't remember. Usually the wood looks good after the wash, and I don't want to accidentally get paint in the recessed areas that were just shaded.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I painted a plastic Axer to replace the old derpy metal one for my Trollbloods.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Yep. Just plain old MK3 armour

E: God drat that looks great. How'd you do the weathered effect on the metal plates?

Thanks! It's a metal basecoat washed with Nuln Oil, then a heavily thinned orange. I stippled some other shades of orange and red just for shits and giggles. Drybrush with the metallic, then tie it altogether with Agrax Earthshade. I did a highlight drybrush with a lighter shade too. It's work intensive but comes out pretty decent imo.

Substitute in a jade blue wash instead of orange to do a similar effect on bronze/gold metals.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Also Fyrbrand you should post larger resolution pix. I wanna look at all your little details breh

Nah man, if I did that you would see through my web of lies, that these models are really not that special. This one has a horrible mold line I left on the face, for example. :negative:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Finished my Mk3 Trollbloods Battlebox:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Something tells me batch painting 20 models in a scheme I've never tested before was a bad idea, but I just can't put my finger on it.

Oh, the scheme is quartered red and white :shepicide:

My condolences.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I painted the new models from the Mk3 Skorne starter, and now have the new battlegroup for demo purposes.

My picture taking is getting worse over time. :smith:

Also that squid and the ice stuff look dope.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Cool and good blue mandollies.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo it's PV in the painting thread :hellyeah:

Wait PV starts posting poo poo just as I'm finishing my latest model, lol it's me, the one who is owned

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Now that we're safely past PV's baller stuff here's a Madrak Ironhide alt sculpt I finally did to replace the old metal sculpt.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rurea posted:

Thanks for the compliments guys I'll pass them on. He has literally boxes full of gold medals and other awards from model shows, so I don't know if I could convince him to go after a crystal brush.
Here's his blog where he posts most of his work, just dont e-stalk me please: http://custmini.blogspot.com/

I looked at this page and died, posting from hell

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

_Gumby posted:

I've been trying to improve my photography a bit so i've been taking a few photos of this guy

Does anyone have any really good resources for taking photos of miniatures? The ones i've found so far are fairly basic and dont really go into too much detail.

This pic is pretty good, and Thexus himself looks dope. (Clean up your base rim though.)

I feel like you just need some more overhead light when you're shooting, and you'd be pretty legit.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Easiest paintjob ever.

I thought about doing some glowing eyes or something, but that's :effort: for a model I'll almost never play.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\

Cool stuff man.

SRM posted:

What's this cool model? I'm guessing it's a Warmachine dude but a pile of angry skeletons is pretty neat and you did a good job painting it.

Thanks man. It's a Boneswarm. Not a particularly good model or creative name, but at least I can say I have one painted now.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I finished Wrongeye & Snapjaw, lesser warlock and his beast buddy, for my slow grow Minions force.

Voodoo gatorman with super annoying spells and a big old beatstick beast to tag along with him :hellyeah:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Those veterans own, SRM owns, everything owns.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Congrats on the Charadon. It's one of the most useful colors I've ever come across. Ranks up there with Menoth White Highlight.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

Cool Enginseer poo poo

This owns, and so does SRM's stuff even if I think scout models are v bad.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Painted this fun little sculpt last week- Swamp Gobber Chef from Hordes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Finished this Rask recently. It never quite came together the way I wanted to, but it's not bad for a side army project.