Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Thin paints just flow all over the place on my wet palette. Shouldn't the semi-permeable paper mean that a given type of paint will always end up at a certain equilibrium concentration/dilution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Ashcans posted:

I am finally having to accept that I'm getting too old and my eyesight too bad to paint tiny details unassisted. Is there a good product people use to help illuminate/magnify their projects while they are working on them? I know they make things like that for embroidery and similar stuff, or at least I recall my grandmother working with something similar. Anyone use something similar or have a recommendation for something that works well with miniatures? I'd like something that is sort of freestanding or can clip to a table. Today I was trying to hold a magnifying glass in my off hand and boy that's not a plan.

Mostly for things like painting face details or freehanding designs, I can still do regular painting and highlights without struggling (for now).

A pair of cheap reading glasses will feel like magic.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

How does Scale 75 pricing make sense? Most places it's cheapest to by single bottles, and the complete set has the highest price/bottle!? :psyduck:

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Kill team's small model count has given me hope of someday finishing a playable force, so I finally got around to finishing my tacticool Primaris sized scout.

Obviously a lot of rough edges there, but I'm learning a lot. I think I'm going to cast a torso and some bits when going for a whole squad. And just use Reiver legs, recasting them is too much hassle.
Also forgot to finish his bolt pistol i see :v:

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Finally getting some hobby time in. Had the chance to take CK Studios Airbrush 101 this past weekend, and it was amazing. Worth taking for just the hands on cleaning and troubleshooting :D
We painted a Contemptor, using a technique where you put on an exaggerated undercoat and tone it down with inks and glazes. Worked amazingly well, it's one of the best models I've ever produced.

(I asked for help to replicate this colour scheme: https://imgur.com/D5jEM0s )

Learned a lot about how the brushes work, what the limitations are and how to work around them. We even learned how to shade your blacks.

I highly recommend taking the course.

In other news I've been experimenting with laser cutting styrene for conversions and scratchbuilding. This is for a halloween costume, but the principle is the same:

It's cut to a point where the pieces are still held by the frame, but you can just pop them out. This is 2mm, so maybe a bit thick for what you'd use for models. The idea is to model the basic shapes for vehicles and such in 3D, cut the panels in styrene and glue the whole thing together.

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 17, 2018

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

VolatileSky posted:

I'm seriously interested in how well this works out. 2mm is incredibly thick and relatively expensive unless you want something to be able to withstand being thrown against a wall. I use 0.5mm because it's the easiest to cut, sand and work with by hand, but 1mm might be a happy medium for you and cut down on cutting time.

Cranking out rhinos and other Imperial tanks would be amazing, but I'm very curious how the edge quality is. I used to run an industrial laser, cutting sheets of steel up to 10'x6'x1/2”, and when it was setup properly those parts could be fit and welded right away, but if there's an issue it was hours of grinding and cleaning the edges. I'm wondering just how cleanly this cuts parts, what the kerf looks like and if there's any heat warp or raised edges?

Yeah 2mm is really thick but it's for a Halloween costume for my 5 year old, so....

You really have to dial in the laser and don't cut all the way through. There's some melting on the top giving a slightly chamfered efge, but I think it's mainly because I cut so deep. For 1mm I think you'd get really good results. Still if I do a 2mm cutout, the pieces just snap in and stay together without glue, so that's already pretty good.

Once this whole Halloween panic is over I'll try using it for building some ham related stuff.

Ilor posted:

What laser are you using to cut styrene? Most CO2 lasers warn you not to cut that stuff because it off-gases chlorine which is damaging to both the laser's optics and, you know, your lungs.
As knoll said, there's no chlorine in styrene. The machine also has a huge ventilation box, and it has a profile for styrene.
I actually thought quite a bit about this before doing it 🙂

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 18, 2018

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

Out of curiosity, are you using the cutter at your local hacker hovel, or do you have your own? If it's the latter, what kind and how many millions did it cost you?

I keep contemplating saving my pennies and making a grievous financial mistake, but I can never find a machine domestically that I both like and can afford.

It's the local maker-space. Aside from being expensive it's also very large. I think we got it from China actually.
For doing thin sheets of styrene, I'm wondering if you could just use one of the cheap engravers (coupled with some sort of extraction system - it might not be chlorine, but I'm sure the vapors aren't healthy)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/200...2851922174.html

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 18, 2018

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Skails posted:

Working up this scheme for my steel legion troopers.

That looks really good. Amazing skull work

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

But if you have chlorophyl why do you need iron to carry oxygen around? My immersion :negative:

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Badablack posted:

Paper would make a more realistic looking cloth at 28mm. Shape it and varnish into a permanent shape, then paint.

Like how the historicals make their flags:

In the old days, people used the thin metal foil from wine bottles for cloaks and banners. That's all plastic now unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Broken Record Talk posted:

Cross posting from the 30k thread.

That effect is pretty rad