Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

nesbit37 posted:

Amazing poo poo

What is are the dimensions of those trays X x Y x Z?

That thing looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I really like Raphael 8404 brushes.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Does anyone have a recommendation for drybrush brushes? (Preferably ones that are available on Amazon)

I need some for terrain and figures.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Pledge Floor Care with Future Shine (or whatever the hell it is called now) is a great gloss varnish for airbrush application.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Four Slag Trolls! I am going to use pigments to make the rust look rustier, but I am very happy with where they are now.

Compared to three years ago, where rust was metal and red pigment.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 9, 2015

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Windex is a streak free glass cleaner that has a little ammonia in it.

I would try out whatever your local equivalent is.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

I really am happy with how they turned out! I also got to play around with enamel filters and washes!

Edit: Um, it looks like i missed a panel line! Guess i get to go touch that up!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have decided to organize my hobby room.

Unfortunately, this resulted in a in unintentional paint census.

On the bright side, by the time I use this paint I will be good at painting...

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
They look great... and mysteriously I now want a hamburger for lunch.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I really like Vallejo Model Air metallics, specifically Gun Metal, Steel, and Chrome.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
http://www.amazon.com/Plano-23730-05-Stowaway-Adjustable-Dividers/dp/B001447AW2

Plano model 3730 for dropper bottle storage

I have one Vallejo box and a bunch of Plano boxes. They are also only like seven dollars to hold about 94 bottles.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 10, 2015

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Sounds to me like you need to thin your paint a little bit more.

To get that gradient, the layers need to be slightly transparent.

Alternatively, apply 50/50 mixes of the paints as transitional color.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I also try to not use biodegradable items on my miniatures. I wouldn't want my bases to mold.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

An Angry Bug posted:

Yes. Yes. I have painted my first good eyes! :science:

gently caress yeah, broseph! No more meth addict miniatures for you!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
The way I think of the difference is that you want washes to pool, but you don't want glazes to pool.

Edit:

So when putting a wash on the brush, you want it quite full, but a glaze you want it to be wet but not loaded.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 28, 2015

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Use think coats. Drips of sealant suck.

Think = (Thin + Thick) / 2

He meant thin!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

rantmo posted:

Two nights ago I was on a painting binge and thinned the paint (P3 Sanguine Base) with acrylic flow release, as it dried and got used up, I added more paint and flow release and 48-ish hours later the paint is still a little tacky and super shiny. I've never had anything like that happen before, and as interesting as it is, I'd really like to not have to wait days for my paint to dry. What sorcery did I accidentally perform?

Maybe you achieved Soap? Pure flow aid?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Hixson posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for a decent cheapo airbrush for priming and basecoating?

Fifteen dollar eBay special.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

I didn't like this model originally, but I am liking it now that I am painting it!

Painting it as a kind of Afrika Korps color scheme.

Edit: smoothed out some things

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 16, 2015

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

The Mantis posted:

woah thats loving awesome. how did you make it look chipped/worn?

Thanks man!

I primed with Vallejo primer in Dunkelgelb (German Dark Yellow), airbrushed a mixture of Golden Yellow, Flat Yellow, and a beige to mute it a little bit.

Then sponge painted in the German Grey for the chipping.

Then I painted on raw umber, and streaked it with mineral spirits.

In other words, I am a horrible plagiarist... I used this plan of attack:
http://www.discountgamesinc.com/blog/the-hobby-corner-16/

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Pierzak posted:

Why is it filled with rocks, though? Is it supposed to be a coal hopper or what?

I had no idea what it's supposed to be! It is just this empty section with nothing in it. I filled it with rocks an I am going to paint it as a coal hopper.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Bistromatic posted:

Awesomeness

This is a great example of putting the extra work into a model and knocking it out of the park.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Iron Crowned posted:

How do you guys go about organizing your paint?

I use Plano Stowaways. They are perfect for Vallejo and P3 paints.

dexefiend posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-23730-05-Stowaway-Adjustable-Dividers/dp/B001447AW2

Plano model 3730 for dropper bottle storage

I have one Vallejo box and a bunch of Plano boxes. They are also only like seven dollars to hold about 94 bottles.

I have changed how i store the P3s. If you lay them on their sides perpedicular to the walls, you can fit them in two deep. It fits a lot of paint securely.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 3, 2015

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Nail polish racks in the field:

That looks great, and is a great solution if you can keep your paint out on your work space. I have to be able to put mine away when i use my office as a study space.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have the Sparmax TC-620x, and it is super high quality.

I was really impressed by it when i got it, as it was a giant improvement from my prior compressors.

I originally bought a tankless one from Airbrush Depot, which i burned out in less than a year. Literally. One time i used it for three hours or so and burnt my hand picking it up.... it never worked after that day.

Then, i went the opposite direction and bought a twenty gallon tanked shop compressor. It worked great but was so loud that i would jump out of my chair when it kicked on. I also couldn't paint at night with it. It now lives in the garage and pumps up my tires or powers an air nailer.

I went with the Sparmax and hope i never have to buy another one.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

krushgroove posted:

In short, I think you might be best served with the first bundle you looked at.

I agree completely.

I use my 105 the most out of my three airbrushes just because it is so easy to work with. It is easy to clean, and it doesn't get gunked up as much. You can even get replacement needles or nozzles quickly from either Amazon or Michael's (dont forget your Internet coupon) .

I was simply trying to chime in on how great sparmax is.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

BULBASAUR posted:

Two days ago I was cleaning minor mold lines on a resin model using an xacto chisel. It slipped and sliced the tip of my thumb nearly off. Blood squirting everywhere I ran into the kitchen to disinfect, apply pressure, and keep the bleeding to the sink. I broke out in a cold sweat and suddenly I had no idea what was going on because nothing made sense I was cold and alone. I was about to panic when I woke up on my tile floor, room spinning, blood everywhere. Later I learned I'd also given myself a minor concussion and hurt my left elbow.

I've hobbied for over 10 years and I have never hurt myself before.

This kind of story is the true origin of "Blood for the Blood God."

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

thespaceinvader posted:

Is there something I'm missing? I just bought a pot of Tamiya White because gently caress giving GW money, and it behaves differently from basically every other paint I've used, including the pot of Tamiya Nato Black I picked up at the same time. If I use it neat is dries out and goes tacky or stringy almost instantly, if I try to thin it with water it either goes so thin that it pools horribly and acts more like a wash, or almost curdles. Halp.

My nice stark dark grey/white scheme has gone more like dark grey/light grey :(

What is the model number of the paint? Maybe you grabbed the enamel instead of the acrylic?

Edit: hmmm i checked and all their paints are "acrylic," but i know that i thin my Smoke with their lacquer thinner and not water.

Any Tamiya experts around here?

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 30, 2015

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
That's a a good strategy if you want to magnetize your hand.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
That is some pretty amazing stuff right there.

Are you an assembly line painter with an airbrush?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Winsor & Newton Series 7 Brush Gift Set Includes 4 Small Rounds only $17.50 with free shipping on Amazon. I have no idea why the price is so low.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00YEMI8ZY/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Thanks. I just bought two sets.

Edit: i sold like 6 more sets to my friends.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 8, 2016

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Update: This set is back up to $75 as of this morning. I was too late :negative:

I ordered two, but i don't have my hopes up on actually receiving them.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

nesbit37 posted:

Anyone have decent resources or products for doing 10mm urban bases? Want to do up some infantry bases for Dropzone Commander and not sure where to start for getting things like asphalt down from a material standpoint. Already picked up some n scale cars I am going to rough up as abandoned vehicles and such.

Vallejo Black Lava is a good miniature asphalt. However at 10mm it might be too chunky.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Angel Giraldez uses Sunny Skintone like you use that sand color. It works really well.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Thanks for the ultra high content post, RichyP!

I am going to try that unified highlighting color approach you talked about.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Those Convergence make me want to try and finish mine! I was also daunted by the silver, and how flat mine look.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 8, 2016

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

TouchToneDialing posted:

I have an aerosol rattle can of matte varnish that I would much rather apply with my airbrush. Can I just spray it into a dropper then put it in my airbrush?

Look up decanting spraypaint.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I think i need to try and repeat that amazing success.

That Iron Man looks awesome.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Thanks to whomever recommended the vibration reduction things for the Sparmax compressors. My big old honking compressor is now isolated from my desk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

TTerrible posted:

Glad it helped! Did you fit it to a TC-610H or another model? Just interested if the M5 feet are common across the range.

I have the tanked one with 2 outputs, whichever that one is.

Edit: TC-620

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 18, 2016