Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
All you marine painters are shaming me to get back to painting marines!

Thank you for that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Propitious Jerk posted:

In other developments, I finished my group of Mars Tau

I like these tau.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Eifert Posting posted:

Careful how loud you say that around here.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Devorum posted:

Any advice on getting spray primer to work when it's 50 Celsius with 80% humidity would also be greatly appreciated.

Just don't risk it. Do some other hobby stuff.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Masters Brush Soap as often as needed.
Turpenoid Natural to get the gunk out

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

It's crazy how much the overall level of painting of has improved in this thread the last couple years. In awe of you lads.

We stand on the shoulders of giants ... like you!

Pour one out to all the missing in action painting thread homies.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
The ink might not have enough binder in it. Perhaps try adding some medium to it?

For airbrush white, I like Golden Acrylics High Flow White.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Vallejo Airbrush Primer worked fine accordinh to Vince Ventura or whatever his name is. He might have tried a primer->varnish as well. Search for his Contrast video on YouTube.

Edit: Vince Venturella. 'Vince Ventura Contrast Paint' did, in fact, find the video.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Your words are garbage, but your mini is fantastic.

Don't belittle yourself! Everyone has a different current skill level, but remember skill is a continuous distribution so everyone better than you was worse than you at some time.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

moths posted:

Would paper ketchup cups be a suitable eco-friendly alternative?

Wax paper isn't great. Various solvents like alcohol will eat that was leaving you with regular paper.

Regular paper isn't great for liquids.

I can second the medicine dosing cups, which are very reusable and have a built in measuring marks for mixing.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Eifert Posting posted:

Just remember the secret to orks. 90 painted pretty good look a lot better than 7 painted really good and 83 primed.

The truest truth.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

jesus WEP posted:

newbie question: how do people feel about subassemblies on rank and file dudes? i really hate trying to paint in behind two-handed guns and the like. does it save time overall?

I will mirror everyone else.

It depends.

How complex is your scheme?
Let X be the cost in time and willpower of creating the sub assemblies.
Let Y be the benefit in time and willpower of using the sub assembly approach.

If X - Y < 0, you should use sub assemblies.

The cost is it both time and willpower. You can't play a game when all your dudes arms are off their torsos. It also takes time and effort to do this. You will also need a manner to correctly store all these half assembled models.

If you are just doing Ultramarines, Blood Angels, or any of the monochromatic marines, it probably isn't worth it.

If you are doing quartered or halved marines, it probably is. Marine model arms are often in the way of getting that perfect line, and their color is matched to the shoulder. It works to paint the arms separately.

If you are doing a pattern that has a mix of light and dark colors, particularly where the placement of the light colors requires them to be painted after the dark colors. So, imagine a marine that has dark torso and yellow arms. You are going to have to prime light, paint the torso, then paint the arms. If you get dark paint on the arms, you are going to have to touch that up.

If certain important details are hard to get to, it might make sense to paint in assemblies.

Good options:
Vehicles (body / turrets / tracks)
Dreadnoughts (base and legs / Torso / Arms)
Howling Griffons / Nova Marines (Quartered)
Storm Lords / Angels of Retribution (Halved)
Scythes of the Emperor (bright chest / dark arms and legs)
Destroyers (paint heads and shoulders yellow, body/arms/legs grey black)

Bad Options:
The Founding Chapters

You also need a decent amount of hobby experience to correctly assemble modern models in assemblies.

You have to get the arms properly aligned, place the shoulder pads in a way that won't interfere with assembly, AND keep track of which sets of arms go with each other and with which model. (This is why I prefer monopose models for this approach.)

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

2002 Khemri team Mummies/Tomb guardians. The one in the middle is Ramtut III star player from 2004.

Meanwhile I did some painting yesterday, quickly done in a couple of hours. Not Blood Bowl for a change.

Those are rad.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver is the magic secret sauce.

Can we get that at the top of every page? Vallejo Airbrush Thinner is best used when you have a paint that isn't aerosolizing well. It helps break it down. I use it monthly when painting, as opposed to every god damned day with Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver.

Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver: It is for more than just airbrushes.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
That last page was a hot loving page.

:vince:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

First off, I barely remember painting this guy, but I know I used a cool red, and added a tint of brown to it.

Then, get the paint down to an ink like consistency. Take a well loaded small brush and experiment with flinging it as hard as you can at the model, blowing at the top as hard as you can, flicking the tip (just the tip), ... be crazy.

Edit: if you need a good color tone for a cool red, look up Alizarin Crimson.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 10, 2019

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Chunkystyle posted:

Orktober is sadly long over, but here's two orky dudes.

Also my second attempt at checkerboard, I'm pretty pleased with it.

These are rad and inspiring.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
They make great paint.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 15, 2019

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Thank you for that. I do see the glamourization and wehraboo aspect of that.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Is it just a lovely bottle? Did it freeze? Is it really old?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Words about chipping

As another wise goon said, try a good hair spray.

Military modelers figured this poo poo out, and it works. I use Aquanet. It goes on so well, that I wonder if it was originally a modelling product that was repurposed into a haircare product. As a side benefit, it reminds me of the smell of the 1980s.

I watched a video lately of some YouTuber using a specific hair spray that some other pro painter uses, but I forgot the brand and the video. Maybe it was Tresemme?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
... the right tool for the job

When doing my Howling Griffons I use assemblies because the hard part is all masking.

When doing Beastmen ... gently caress it. They are dirty-assed savages. Who cares!?

Think about the model:
* What is going to be the hard part?
* How much is using assemblies going to cost you in time?

That's all I do.

Edit: I also don't play the game, so there is no rush to get dudes standing up.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 27, 2020

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

jesus WEP posted:

also im skeevy about drilling since vince venturella told a story about his pin vise slipping and going so deep into his thumb it touched the thumb nail from the inside :gonk:

I drilled a 1/8" through the center of my thumbnail while magnetizing a metal model. It was a 9.5 on the pain scale.

Never again. Never use a drill for pinning or magnetizing.

Get a $10-20 cordless power screwdriver and a 1/4" adjustable drill chuck for like 8 bucks on Amazon.

Now you have something that will do delicate model work and not leave you with hobby PTSD.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Gameko posted:

Anyone have a good guide on doing tank treads?

I tried GWs recommendation of grey prime followed by wash and drybrush but I didn’t love the results.

https://youtu.be/KDryCX98SpM

Buypainted has a good tutorial.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
PaintRack

PaintRack

PaintRack

It's an Android app that does this, and someone else did all the work.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Covermeinsunshine posted:

So dunno if right thread but here is my mega-gagantess for AoS (posting this in right place)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/swm8cerXejejswL88

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GaZoYBfmxobYZpEP6

Kicks rear end. Looks amazing.

I was worried I was going to see a Gargant with lovingly --albeit crude-- sculpted greenstuff boobs.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

How did you get curved wood flooring? I have only seen it sold in straight boards?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Acetone is Soylent Green as opposed to Simple Green.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I think this is really it.

The more humidity in the air, the shittier the results for painting. I live in painting hell hole of Central Illinois.

That being said, don't let acrylic paint freeze. It will gently caress it up permanently.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Central Illinois has high humidity from March thru November, and freezing cold garages from December to March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

TotalHell posted:

Finished up the IW Venomcrawler.

Yes!

Yesssssssss