Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've had the same problem with both Vallejo silver and also Citadel Leadbelcher. The synthetic brush may be the issue, I didn't want to ruin my good brushes with metallic paint! Ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Does anyone have any display solution recommendations? Right now a solid 1/4 of my work table is just full of painted minis, and uhh... I should put them somewhere else.

I know about the Ikea glass shelf but there's not one near me and it's like $60+ to ship.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Lots more Romans

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

DBA Polybian Roman army is done!

1 equites w/ general
1 equites
2 velites
6 hastati/principes
2 triarii

I'm very happy with how everything turned out. Now I have 12 bases of later Carthaginians to paint up and I can play a game against myself.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yep, a pot of Nuln Oil and a pot of Agrax Earthshade will handle 99% of your wash needs and will last you ages.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

The Anvils of Heldenhammer paint scheme is so much nicer looking than the box art Stormcast stuff, but... hoo boy I went too hard on those edge highlights.

For once I'm happy with cloth highlighting though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I couldn't do checkers that neat if I held my breath, ate some goji berries, and braced both of my arms on something. That's fantastic work.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

5 boys down. Lots... and lots... to go.

xpost

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Not my picture, I found this on Facebook, but any ideas how to do this sort of gun barrel patina? It looks fantastic but I have no idea how to recreate it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Thaaaats the term I couldn't think to google. Thanks!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Leperflesh posted:

He mini's painting people! Do you want a miniatures painting gang tag? Check out this new stickied thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944018

Hell yeah, count me in whenever someone designs something. A 40k tag would be neat too.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
What's the best wash to use on Ork skin if I don't have Druichi Violet? I have the other main ones, Nuln Oil, Reikland Fleshshade, Ahead Earthshade, Seraphim Sepia... I'm assuming Carroburg Crimson wouldn't look good.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Thought I'd try a sprue test painting Ork/goblin skin using the paints I have on hand, and I think it turned out okay! I like the yellow highlight.

Time to work through my Ork Blood Bowl team now, waaaaaagh

Edit-- also painting Ork skin is weirdly satisfying and I can't pinpoint why

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
First blocker done!!

I wasn't totally sold on the Thunder Valley Greenskins color scheme at first but it's growing on me. Definitely more excited to paint the imperial nobility guys though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
My go-to "thin" glue is Tamiya Extra Thin Cement. I basically have no complaints whatsoever about it, I've been using it for models for years.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
These little Blood Bowl guys are so drat fun to paint, and the models are so expressive

(Took a picture waiting on the basing stuff to dry)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Goblins are such a nice change of pace from big rear end Black Orks.

(waiting on the mud gunk to dry, base isn't finished)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm trying a new wet pallet and uhh... What am I doing wrong here? I haven't touched the paint yet, it all just feathered out. I used parchment instead of the pre cut papers it comes with, did I just wet it too much? Should I just let it sit open overnight?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah it may have just been stray droplets. I'll keep an eye out for that!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Finally painted the model I'd been dreading, this troll from the Blood Bowl Black Orcs team. Super stoked with how it came out, I think it's the highest standard I've reached for a model so far (which isn't saying a lot, but still). Not perfect, but I'm happy with it.

edit-- drat IT I just noticed in the pictures that I blobbed a little white on top of the repurposed helmet on his knee.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Spanish Manlove posted:

The vallejo kits are really good for their money

I got this one and is a nice, general palette to start with that goes a long way. The only problem is that the metallics suck in there, so pick up some GW metallics to supplement it. The white and black help a lot to make other colors too. So if your base coat is blue and you want a light blue highlight, mix a little bit of white with the blue to make sky blue and use that to highlight.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vallejo-Mo...07710680&sr=8-9

I can vouch for the same one, except the Game Color variant. It seems to be a little more... poppy? Saturated? Than the Model Color variant.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Anyway that was a weird derail, here's a cool human I painted for Blood Bowl

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Spanish Manlove posted:

Hell yeah. What's the gold color and how'd you do the base?

Retributor Armor with an Agrax Earthshade wash. It's my favorite gold metallic combo because it pops but it's not garish

The base is just GW Astrogranite texture paint dry brushed with Screaming Skull

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Finally finished the last Ork of my team, Varag Ghoul-Chewer. This is such a fun sculpt, but I definitely went overboard with the armor highlighting. I was painting in a dim room and didn't realize how much I'd put on til I was under a brighter light. Whoops. Other than that I'm pretty happy with it.

I'll get a full team picture tomorrow when I finish the base.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
At long last, my slow rear end is done painting the Orkland Raiderz

Next up is my Necromantic team, the Fearadelphia Flayers...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Can you add contrast medium to a normal paint to make it behave more like contrast paint? I have a mini that would do well with contrast, but I have specific colors I want to use that aren't in the contrast line.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
These little fancy lads are a lot of fun to paint but oh my GOD there's a reason I never paint human minis - eyes suck rear end.

At least I feel pretty good about painting white now. Turns out corax white + apothecary white contrast is a magic formula.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Night Lords fuckin own

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Taking a break from GW stuff to paint up some Infinity pieces. Tonight a Yu Jing Zhanshi. It's my first time trying to "blend" colors to get a gradient effect. It went... okay. It'll get better. :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
God drat

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Well if we're posting first things of 2021, here's what I finished yesterday - 3 Zhanshi from Infinity, and 3 Nonce Valley Fancylads from Blood Bowl

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Anyone else go through bouts where they don't feel like painting, but they want to get something done, so they paint, and they're not happy with how it turns out, but then they're like "gently caress it, it's done I guess" and plop it on the shelf, and then feel bad about their entire painting hobby as if it's a sham?

Just me?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Verisimilidude posted:

I started painting recently

What the gently caress

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
After my slump the other day I feel a lot better about painting tonight. Happy with how this Yu Jing Daofei came out even though I definitely don't have the hang of sword effects, and can't seem to get a silky smooth coat on metal.

Oh well, every day is a lesson :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Painting ghosties is SO satisfying. Just blending and fun colors, super zen.

I was trying to approximate the AOS Nighthaunt look in my Blood Bowl Wraiths instead of the boring all white sheets.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Finally finished half of my Infinity starter box, yellow and white are pains in the rear end.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Space Marines are so easy to paint compared to other things I've been working on

I mean... "Paint", not "paint well". But it makes me want to buy some Blood Angels.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I have some mid range brushes that frustrate me, and some value pack golden taklon brushes that I absolutely love, so... Yeah, try some cheap stuff and see if there's something specific you want to change (holding more paint, stiffer/springier bristles/etc)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Crackbone posted:

Thanks to the suggestion for Rosemary Co. brushes. Even with shipping to the United States they were cheaper than buying W&N online anywhere.

Yep, I've got a Series 33 size 0, 1, 2 coming today, I'm excited to see what all the hype is about!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I got 2/1/0 brushes from the Da Vinci Maestro series (I remembered ordering Rosemary and Co but whatever, whoops), and... ok, god drat it, these brushes make a world of difference. Good paint flow, no struggling with a curled tip, it's just... better.

Finished up a couple Panoceania Fusiliers last night and the blending/highlighting was just a dream with those new brushes compared to my Michaels/Target cheapos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Still waiting on the crackle base to dry but holy moly this is the most minis I've ever painted start to finish in one day. My eyes and wrists are killing me, but the production line strategy made these not too painful.

Blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne, etc