Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Then as soon as I do I inevitably make a mess all over myself and ruin my evening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I have actual opinions on which paints taste better or worse than others (after rinsing a brush, I'm not a monster).

But I'm also an idiot

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Bohemian Nights posted:

Can't just drop that into a post and not share your favorite and least favorite paint

The GW washes like Nuln/Agrax/etc. all kind of taste like sesame oil, it's a nice flavor. However, Contrast paints and especially Speedpaints are really bitter, not a fan. Most standard acrylics are pretty neutral.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Painted up a Henry Tudor for my Wars of the Roses project. Is he basically wearing Henry VIII's armor? Yes but who cares knights are cool.

Also lol I'm bad at freehanding flags but it looks fine enough from 3 feet away

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
One stand of knights down! One more to go for an 8-knight squadron.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Also especially if you're painting a full unit, please don't focus on your flaws on a single model. Once they're all ranked up you won't even notice, the overall effect will look great.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Crosspost from the historicals thread, fun little test scheme speedpaint.

edit-- Bonus Daimyo!

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 26, 2023

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Getting back into the pits of Zharr Nagrund with this Chaos Dwarf overlord

edit-- More! Chorfs!

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 8, 2024

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Infernox for Kings of War - basically a chaos dwarf stone magma golem. I'm not 100% happy with the magma effect, but pretty happy with the stone!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Astragoth Iron hand, High Priest of Hashut and sassy mecha dwarf

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Spanish Manlove posted:

What's the material you used for the base of the background?

also: CAT HAIR

I dropped the freshly primed mini onto the carpet, it will never be free of pet hair again :negative:

A while back I bought some terrain tiles off a local guy... I threw away most of them but kept one for pictures. No idea what he used honestly.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Finished up my first troop of Abyssal Dwarf Blacksouls for Kings of War!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Super Waffle posted:

Go ahead and do the quick scheme just to get all your dudes painted. You can always go back and add details when you have the time!

That's my philosophy exactly, even though I know I'll never go back and add detail, which is fine!

I'd rather see a painted army on my shelf that's mostly done with speedpaints and a few highlights, instead of a grey army that I keep meaning to paint with 100% effort and never gets done because I have a toddler and Jesus Christ finding time to paint is hard.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Painted is better than not painted, full stop.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
A Basilean Elohi ship from Kings of War's Armada game. I think this year with be "Twenty Kings of War" (like rhyming with "twenty-four")

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Starter Basileans fleet for Armada is done! Orcs are up next.

Edit-- also an Orc Boarc boss for a Kings of War army.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 15, 2024

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I just a few months ago bought the complete Speedpaint 2.0 line, they can't keep doing this to me

(But it's me, the mark who solely paints with Speedpaints now)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Southern Heel posted:

I finished off the first lance of my Battletech mercenary company. I went through the full end-to-end process of rolling up a star system, planets, governments and technology levels, then the available mechs and cost, the cost of pilots and engineers, ammo and fuel, etc. - ended up with a 'perfect' merc company. I rolled up the factions and contracts, specifically identified one and figured out the pay, danger bonus, profit split and recompense for ammo and repairs. Then I did nothing with it.

The tester mini was painted with duller colours which in retrospect I think looks better, but I'm trying to make my style deliberately more bright and vibrant.

Say someone else were insane enough to go through that full end-to-end process, how would they go about that

NinjaDebugger posted:

Posted already in the sanderson thread, but I finished my first repaint on the display statues.

Finished the first one, before & after. The light's strongly directional to give me a light map in the first pic, then the second you can see the shadow from the only light.

Good job, the repaint looks a lot more like how I imagine shardplate.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The best cheap terrain primer is equal parts PVA glue and cheap black craft paint

Edit-- I mean big terrain pieces, I'm not talking detailed GW plastic things.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Technically for Kings of War, but here's a Generic Undead Egyptian King to be used in whatever game system one chooses.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jcam posted:

I appreciate the compliments! Definitely too kind. It helps motivate me back to the paint brush for sure. I can't take credit for that building though, it's just the store-bought terrain available from Corvus Belli and just coincidentally color-matched my lil space barbies in hindsight.

Infinity is the first miniatures game I've played that really fuels my decision paralysis badly - I love about 80% of the models from every faction in the game.

Yeah, Infinity is just hit after hit with their sculpts. Unfortunately sometimes the sculpts are TOO good and too detailed and therefore difficult to paint unless you're someone of Jcam's caliber and do an amazing job with them <3

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Joining a Saga escalation league soon, so here's my first Anglo-Dane, the big man himself, Harold Godwinson

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Arcturas posted:

I love the red and white shield. So good. Also, what did you use for your grass? It’s really nicely scaled for the size of the model.

Thanks! The grass is Army Painter brand Battlefield Field Grass. It'd look better if I had an actual static applicator, but it gets the job done.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Vive l'empreur

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Marechal Davout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Nebalebadingdong posted:

6mm gun wagon from the lazy forger

This rules - are you playing their Full Spectrum Dominance game or is this for Battletech?