Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

You joke, but a semi-local model shop sells old Tamiya catalogs to the tune of $10 a pop.

Yeah, but those are nice color catalogs of professionally painted models, often on amazing dioramas. It's more the equivalent of the old GW catalogs you had to pay for (with less B&W photography.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Big McHuge posted:

I picked up some Pink Soap brush cleaner, but there aren't actually instructions on it. How much do I add to my water cup when I'm painting? Or is it something to only use when I'm done for the day?
When you're done painting, just put a little dab in your palm and gently scrub a wet brush around in it for a bit. Rinse the brush and reshape the tip. Pro tip: it's actually a decent solvent that can "repair" brushes where paint has dried in the bristles. It can also be used as a stain remover.

The More You Know... :gifttank:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
My W&N came in tubes. The GW ones have a black ferrule though, and that reduces the harsh reflections given off by normal silver ferrules. This allows you to paint your miniatures to a much higher standard than other brushes.

I'm trying to figure out the flat chisel thing that says "Texture."

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

LordAba posted:

Is this an actual thing, or am I just dense?

I was joking, but I wouldn't put it past GW to market them in this way.

JoshTheStampede posted:

They literally just made a brush for each category of paint they make, even if they don't need one. There's no loving reason to have a separate brush for glazes. I'm pretty sure the Small Base, Medium Layer, and Medium Glaze are all the same brush.
i noticed that too, but the bristle color looks slight different in each. It might just be the lighting and/or my monitor though. Not that it makes a difference.

I don't know, like JoshTheStampede says, the newer brushes aren't bad. Considering you'll be able to pick them up for 20% off retail online also makes them a pretty decent deal - $6.40 per brush?

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 3, 2015

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

I built a Dark Angels army from Dark Vengeance sets for cheap then torpedoed any and all savings I had by buying Dragonforge bases for every loving dude. They look great, but in hindsight I really wish I just based them like my Valhallans. Would've made allying easier too.

So it's taken like 6 months since I finished building it, but I finally painted the Land Raider!

No green-rimmed base and that is the worst Ultramarines paint job I've ever seen...

:D

Looks good, though I think it could benefit from some chipping and staining to break up all that silver. Are you planning on doing a full IW army, or was this a one off?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
No - avoid primer. You're going to get a grainy texture that will look like crap at this scale. Just get some flat white/black/gray and you should be all set. I'm sure some UK Goons can recommend a good brand for you - in the US, I'd recommend Krylon Flat.

To go into more detail, primer has particles in the paint that give the base coat some "tooth" or grab. Paint prefers to stick to a surface that is slightly rough, and primer does that well for walls, autobody, etc. At a smaller scale though, you don't need all of that texture to get a good grip.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

by.a.teammate posted:

Good catch thanks for that, i've seen this on element games, hows this?

Plastic Soldier Company Spray - German Panzer Grey

I've never used that, but it or the Tamiya big_g recommended should work. The Panzer Grey is specifically used as a primer and basecoat, similar to the Army Painter sprays. If you're just going to paint a different color over the top, you're better off getting a larger can of basic flat spray from your local DIY store. OP recommends Halford’s Grey Primer as a good paint if you're in the UK.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
What are the kids using these days for a chipped paint effect? I know Charadon Granite was all the rage, but since you can't get it anymore, what is the alternative?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Sauer posted:

A medium grey or a metallic grey of any sort is fine. Browns and red brown are good for rust. Remember that less is more. You can also go all in with real chips. Google "Hairspray Chipping" or "Salt Chipping" effects.
Yeah, I was going to do hairspray, but then I remembered that I'm lazy and really don't want to do 7 Chimeras, 2 Leman Russ, and whatever else comes down the road. In the research I've been doing, a lot of the pro military models are just doing the sponging on of chips and damage - it looks just as good and you don't have the added hassle of hairspray and/or salt.

Slimnoid posted:

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2012/05/my-replacement-for-charadon-granite.html

Vallejo Game Colour Heavy Charcoal is considered a match on the Dakkadakka paint range, but some say it's apparently closer to adeptus battlegrey; the comments in the link offer some suggestions and impressions, so maybe pick up Thornwood and Heavy Charcoal and see which is closer to what you want.
I saw that, but I thought the Thornwood was a little too green for what I wanted to use it for. The Heavy Charcoal also seems pretty green, judging by the chips online (though of course, that isn't really a good indicator.) I suppose I'll order a bottle and see how it looks. I was hoping to get double duty out of it - chipping on vehicles and helmet color for my Steel Legion.

Hixson posted:

I used a shiny metallic for paint chips on a land raider some time ago. I wouldn't recommend it, it only looks right when the light hits from certain angles
Yeah, that only really works if your model is like solid black. I'll be doing a standard SL scheme, so I think Charadon and some rust is the way to go. I'm going to have to think about my Blood Angels as well - Charadon would probably also be a good contrast to the red.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

If the models are plastic, this is fine advice - spray paint will stick just fine. If they are metal or resin, I would really recommend a primer - In addition to having tooth it also bonds with the surface to some degree, and regular paint sometimes will have a hard time sticking to metal or resin - if regular paint stuck fine you wouldn't need a primer coat to begin with.

Personally, I've never had a problem with regular spray on metal. I've never used an actual primer - but I suppose if you're starting out, you can experiment and see what works best for you.

BULBASAUR posted:

A more important question is- what kind of color are you trying to chip? You want different colors of chip depending on the base color.

For yellow and white, as an example, P3 BloodStone is really good. For black it doesn't look good at all.
Standard Steel Legion scheme - Rotting Flesh and Light Gray. I think a dark red-brown or gray-black will work fine. Red-brown will probably offer more contrast, but I'll test both to see how it goes.

signalnoise posted:

Too simple?

Get some highlighting/glassy effect on the red and it will look really good. Why does it look like the paint is peeling off the top of the rear cockpit area?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Army Painter is good , and you get the added benefit of having your basecoat done off the bat and having matching dropper-bottle paints as well, so you don't have to worry about your base and touchup colors being different.

However, I've found that AP spray does not adhere to metals particularly as well and will rub or chip off easier than, say, Krylon will, under normal handling. I don't know if this holds true for plastics - obviously most stuff now is either plastic or resin, so this may not affect you . Once properly sealed, I don't know if you'll have this issue.

As for best around, I still stand by Krylon in the US. I have never had a problem with it, it coats well, and handles nicely. I'd recommend the AP if you're in a rush or have a lot of models to paint in one go.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Welp, I've had a productive lunch hour for once. Combat Patrol, here I come:
[

56 Steel Legion based and ready for priming/basecoating.

Also, I'd like to share something I figured out for those of you who still have slotta bases - toilet paper/kleenex. Tear off a little bit, apply a glue/water mix around the exposed slot area, and apply tissue. Instant coverage - it's pretty awesome.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Iris of Ether posted:

Ooh. You're pretty much applying quasi-paper-mache there. That's not a bad idea.

Yep. I was going to use tape or putty, but wound up going this route, and it was quick and easy. Tape wouldn't hold due the lack of surface area, since I was only trying to cover a small portion of the slot.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Wash your metal minis and buff them with a rag.

What does this have to do with anything? I wash all of my minis - AP doesn't have the tooth that Krylon does and doesn't adhere as well to metal minis.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Fyrbrand posted:

Holy poo poo I stopped in some random out of town LGS and found 3 pots of Charadon Granite :hellyeah:

No Boltgun Metal though. :(

drat your eyes.

At least there are good alternatives to Boltgun Metal. There isn't poo poo for Charadon Granite.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Is there anyone who does Chimera track armor? My old Chimeras don't have extras like that...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Reynold posted:

FW no longer produces the track guard kits (which were total rear end and warped all to hell every time), and I haven't found a suitable replacement either.

Oh, it was an FW thing? I thought they were on some extras sprue. I don't really need them, but I was going to be lazy and not put on all of the track sections.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

They were on the old IG accessory sprue, which you can still get from GW:
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Imperial-Guard-Tank-Accessories

Ah ha! Thanks!

As a side note, for a planet covered in pollution and ash storms, an awful lot of my Steel Legion models are not wearing their goggles...

Has anyone used the Games and Gears silicone brush yet? I'm curious as to how well it works (or doesn't).

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 7, 2015

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

big_g posted:

I'm finally calling it done on the Corsair I posted a while back. Came out looking okay I think.

Picture dump then I'm done with this.

Yep. It looks ok. :rolleyes:

It's pretty awesome, man.

signalnoise posted:

Oh, if we're talking permanent storage solutions then I like an Ikea Alex drawer unit with a pick and pluck foam insert

but I might be obsessive

I like this idea. The only downside I see is a lot of wasted space due to the pluck foam walls.

How close to Devlan Mud is Agrax Earthshade? I've got to wash a boatload of Steel Legion greatcoats and am pretty sure my bottle of DM won't make it through the batch. Conversely, should I just bite the bullet and start mixing my own? I know it's cheaper in the long run, but the startup cost is a bit of of a shocker... Are the Daler Rowney inks available at Michael's or AC Moore?

EDIT: I just went ahead and bought the Agrax. The DIY question still stands though.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 11, 2015

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

signalnoise posted:

It's only a problem if you have hundreds upon hundreds of paints, fortunately.

I can see that.

Vallejo question - I've got a bottle of the VMC Charred Brown. When I went to apply it to my models, it was acting like I mixed too much water into it (i.e. pulling away from the model, flowing into the recesses, etc.) I shook the bottle some more (I have agitators in it) and even went as far as to pop the top and stir the paint (no pigment was congealed on the bottom) and put some on my palette, not adding any water this time. Same problem. It's like there is very little pigment in the bottle and a shitload of colored water. Granted, the bottle is a few years old (8+) but I've got other old VMC that I don't have an issue with. Has anyone else had this problem?

Possibly related, I'm applying over AP spray Desert Yellow - could the AP be too smooth for good adherence? I've already applied VMC Heavy Charcoal with no problem, but I know that it has a higher pigment ratio, so it may not be comparing apples to apples...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
GAH! Screw you Army Painter spray!

I spray an entire army and my VMC paints will not stick to the models because the AP is too smooth. gently caress. Now I have to hope that a light dullcote will give me enough tooth without ruining things (washes, in particular.) I don't want to have to strip, rebase, and prime an entire army again. :bang:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

I've had that happen before and yeah, a coat or two of matte varnish does the trick.
Whew - thanks for the info.

SRM posted:

I really love Army Painter spray but it's a pretty lovely primer. My newest batch of Ultramarines are primed white before using the AP Crystal Blue primer, since I was having chipping problems.
Yeah, I did that too since I've had adhesion issues in the past with other paints. The AP went on so think I was afraid I'd lose a lot of detail - I'm only really noticing a softening of the detail around the eyes, but after this, I don't think I'll use it again.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

gently caress, a whole army!
I tend to jump in with both feet. Bit me on the rear end this time, I do believe.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

HardCoil posted:

Does anybody have good tips for cutting styrene tubing?

I need to make a TL lascannon for a Razorback, and my cuts always seem a little off. I've tried a normal cut, scoring while rolling and sawing, and neither seem to go well.

Any ideas on a good technique for the angled cut on the business end would also be appreciated.

They sell these chopper things that are essentially razor blades on an arm. The arm is straight, but there are angle guides for your styrene. Get to tha choppah!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I don't know - I've tried everything from freehand, to rolling, to mitre boxes, and I can never get a good cut. I imagine that a Chopper will be my next purchase when I have to do plasticard.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
It shouldn't be any worse than an Exacto blade. Styrene tubes aren't exactly drinking straws.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

OneTrueBru posted:

God, it's been ages since I touched a brush. Decided the most sensible way to shake the rust off would be following a step-by-step, so I picked up a copy of Angel Giraldez's "A-Z painting for idiots" guidebook and tried my hand at painting the included Joan of Arc miniature:

That is an awesome job! I may have to pick up that book myself to get back into gear.

Z the IVth posted:

I really hate to say this, since I think your face painting is actually miles better than Giraldez's hooker makeup on Joan, but you have a couple of tiny varnish cracks on her right boob.

Hooker makeup? Really? I think you're being a bit over the top, there.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

OneTruBru's skintone is more natural
I agree - I think it looks great. It gives a really youthful appearance to the model, which is apropos of Joan of Arc (though I don't know the Infinity fluff.)

Speaking of, I happened to look on Ebay to see how many of the Joan models were up for sale. Only one painted one was offered, but there were about a dozen NIB models sold thus far. Which leads me to believe that a bunch of people bought the book/model combo and didn't bother to paint the instructional mini. That seems to me like buying a paint by number kit and selling off the canvas, but keeping the instructions...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pierzak posted:

It's not an instructional mini, it's a preorder bonus. And since it's a gaming piece and the non-limited sculpt is old as gently caress, the obvious thing is to ebay it and paint something from your own faction.

I thought it was the mini he goes step by step with to teach?

Does anyone have a scan of the FW Thunderbolt instructions? The kit I got doesn't have them and I can't seem to find a copy online.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

I tossed mine once I finished building the thing :( This guy has a step by step of it but I don't know how much good it'll be to you:
http://www.excommunicatetraitoris.com/2015/03/forge-world-thunderbolt-assembly-guide.html

Yeah, I found that as well. It's not an overly complicated model, so I should be ok with that and the Youtube video I found. Thanks.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I picked mine up at Adepticon at the flea market, so no dice with an order number. Again, it shouldn't be a big deal as there aren't a lot of fiddly little parts. At least it isn't a titan...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

KFJ posted:

Try sending them an email anyway, it takes 5 minutes and it won´t hurt, right?
I did, but I don't expect much - traditionally, their email communication is pretty bad.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Long story short, I'm basing my 28mm historicals on galvanized washers and creating unit trays that use magnet strips to hold them in place. It works great but there's one hitch - I sprayed the trays with brown rustoleum primer to make them look like "ground" (it's a nice effect) and the coat doesn't affect the magnet strength, but if I leave the minis on the magnet strips for a while, the primer sort of sticks to the under side of the washers. Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening?
It might be the latex in the paint. If they are completely dried, varnish both like krushgroove said. the lacquer coat should help with that. You may need to do a gloss then matte coat as well.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Any reason you just don't spray? Try spraying only the trays and seeing how that goes.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

KFJ posted:

Alright! Hope it goes well - They've been pretty helpful to me so far with painting help and so on.
They actually got back to me (surprise!) but they want an order number. I have no clue who the guy was I bought the model from, so I'm SOL. Oh well.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Yeast posted:

Faaark.

I wonder if taping each pot shut with electrical tape would do it.

And then I'll pack them in small zip locks I guess.

Thanks duder.

I have flown with all types of mini paints and have never had a problem. Skip taping each bottle - if they do leak, the electrical tape won't stop it. Put them in ziploc bags and you should be ok. If you want to be super safe, put the bag with paint into another bag and tape that one closed, just in case there are leaks. Again, I've never had a leak, but accidents happen, especially when you're dealing with sealed bottles of liquid in an unpressurized cargo hold.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

head58 posted:

Also Sabol is having a sale through June 14. You could pick up a second bag or one of their backpacks. I can usually fit two 50pt lists into my Army Transport bag, but I run a lot of small infantry. If you play Trolls or something larger I can see why that might not work.

Have you seen the backpack in real life? I was just looking at it, but it looks seriously uncomfortable to wear... I'd love to have a good gaming bag I could use as a backpack, but the choices either seem to be "giant box on your back" or "regular backpack with a cardboard box inside." I know trays don't lend themselves well to a backpack though, so I doubt I'll ever find anything that I'll go for. If the PACK Go was an inch wider, I'd be able to use it for my SD trays - I don't know if I could finagle a 13" wide tray into a space meant for a 12" wide tray. Not sure how much play is in the case...

signalnoise posted:

I could go on for pages about storage
Please do. I actually enjoy storage related talk.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

EVIR Gibson posted:

Myself and JoshTheStampede both have the backpack and it is far from uncomfortable. Padded back shoulders and it's both huge side pockets and a front pocket that can hold a book and other thin items.

Here's the good part, there are straps that go from back to front that you can use to shrink the spaces in case you want to pack a half box instead of a full or reduce one of the two box compartments completely to hold bulky items.

I was referring to the AT bag - it sounds like you're talking about the KR, correct?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Drone posted:

What's the go-to paint remover in continental Europe (Germany specifically, if anyone knows)? I painted up a test miniature in a Deathwing scheme in preparation for my DV box getting here and it looks like poo poo, so I want to scrub it down and give it a re-do.

That and I've seen some decent deals on eBay lately and I'm thinking about buying some poorly-painted stuff for cheap and rescuing it.

Edit: and in general for painting tabletop-quality Deathwing: prime white, base brown, then highlight my way up? Or just prime white / base bone / use a wash to get the darker shading? I strongly prefer the creamier-color Deathwing to ones that look too white.

Another option is to coat/base in brown, do a 45 degree spray of bone, then an 90 degree spray from the top in white (zenithal.) There isn't a lot of sense in priming white if you are just going to coat it all in brown after. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyrDWHYLGjo

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Drone posted:

I don't own an airbrush unfortunately. Unless a normal spray primer can from the hardware store is precise enough for stuff like this.. I gave it a shot once and the result turned out pretty poor as the zenithal gradient was much too dramatic.

Suck your paint through a straw and blow it out onto your model. If it was good enough for stone age Warhams, it should be good enough for you! :colbert:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Does anyone have both the original Rhino kit and the FW Deimos Pattern Rhino kit? I've got 4-5 of the original Rhinos and I'm wondering what kind of a size difference there is and if any of the FW bits will properly fit with the old one. Same with the Land Raider, if anyone happens to have compared them as well. I'm thinking of doing a small 30K force and if I can bling the old stuff out a bit, I can save :10bux:.

EDIT: Oh, and if anyone has a modern Rhino turret sprue, I'm in need. For some reason, I have a Rhino kit with no turrets/guns/driver. :iiam:

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

The forge world ones are based on the current rhino kit, so the old rhinos will be too small.

Yeah, that's what I though. Oh well, I'll just have to paint everything on.