Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Anyone have thoughts on Krystal Fortress, or something equivalent, cases for transport, storage, and display? I usually use KR multicases but I'm currently working on painting up every single current Necromunda model and for some reason am drawn to Krystal Fortress for this project.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
This is the paint case I have for travel and such, with the light attachment, and I love it. Use it to paint on long train rides and travel and such.

https://frontierwargaming.com/product/paint-case/

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Anyone have any brands or links of metallic paints that are sold in decent quantities for pushing through an airbrush? I need to basecoat a fairly large amount of terrain in a steel type color and am not sure of where to start here since I know metallics and airbrushes can be problematic.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Painting black seems counter intuitive because you highlight with white, but once you've done it a little bit or should start to feel natural.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Phi230 posted:

What do you mean highlight with white? I've always highlighted with grays

Yes, your mixing white with your black, and then the highest highlight in full view of your light source should be white.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'm running low on my massive super glue supply and am wondering what brand/style you all prefer and why? I usually just use the traditional stuff, but I see enough people mention the gel variety (which I have never used) that I figured it would be worth doing a general product check before I restock.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
fyi this is the pack I usually buy, just about to finish out the current one hence shopping around:

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Glue-15187-12-Pack/dp/B000LGPD64/

The stuff is fine but I had some issues with it assembling some of the new necromunda models, just because of how tiny (and how many) pieces were it would occasionally run a little bit. Normally that wasn't a problem but when gluing a hand to a forearm, which seems ridiculously unnecessary by the way, it would sometimes get glued more to me than what I wanted it glued to. I also had to use accelerant on some of the plastic models which is usually not needed. Will probably get another of these packs and some gel superglue to try out.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I don't get all the GSW hate when it comes specifically to their enforcement of their IP. It sounds like they did what they were supposed to in that instance and google just hit the youtuber with the biggest hammer they had instead of something more appropriate. It's too easy to get steamrolled as a smaller company if someone bigger makes something with your product names, especially if you have them trademarked. That's the whole point of filing a trademark.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Stephenls posted:

Copyright isn’t trademark, and the DMCA stands for Digital Millennium Copyright Act and doesn’t have a “T” in it. To file a copyright strike against someone is to claim you own the copyright to their works, and GSW does not own a copyright to “Colorshift.” So, in this case, they’re unambiguously in the wrong.

Filing a copyright strike against a third-party review of a product that violates your trademark is not “the whole point of filing a trademark” or “what they were supposed to do;” it’s so far outside the range of what they’re supposed to do that in a better world where Sword & Steele had more resources or the barriers against filing an international suit were lower, they could maybe get hit with a counterclaim for DMCA misuse.

IP law is the epitome of "rule as intended" but constantly has people applying "rule as written" to it all day everyday. I'm a librarian and deal with this stuff pretty much daily at work, there is no point in getting into the intent on the law on this stuff, it doesn't behoove anyone to do anything but takedown content when any kind of IP claim is thrown around, as jassi007 mentions. It isn't how it should be, but it is how it is under the current, mostly abused, system.

Regardless, GSW do seem like tools. At first glance it just looked like people needlessly jumping against one smaller company because google hammered a third party when the real culprit appeared to be vallejo for using a trademarked name. I've never heard of colorshift paints myself, by vallejo or gsw.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I doubt these are going to look as good as advertised but might be good enough to get some newer painters to hang up their brushes, sadly.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/heroforge/full-color-custom-miniatures-with-hero-forge-20

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Not wargames, no, but I know a lot of people that only paint figures for D&D or other RPGs.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Their bread and butter options, plastic and premium plastic, are just fine. I haven't ordered one in a while but it was of good enough quality. I run a makerspace as part of my day job, so once they started selling the STL files of your mini's to you directly I just started buying those and printing them myself.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

DressCodeBlue posted:

Speaking of, anyone ever tried using nail striping tape for mini applications? Don't know if it's cost effective, but I already have a bunch sitting around.

No idea what that stuff is but generic old masking tape and an exacto knife also works just fine for masking.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
FYI the reaper kit is how I got started when I moved away from craft paint (this is like 15 years ago now at least). This was before anyone made washes that I am aware of so you just made your own, and its still a good skill to have and not hard. I picked up what is today's equivalent of the master core colors set at Gen Con and have just replaced the colors used most as needed. All of those paints are still good, even the ones I don't use very often and its been well over 10 years. I love dropper bottles.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I have an old B&D jigsaw whose chuck disintegrated that I kept around for no real reason. I tested this with a small clamp last night and the fit is perfect.

I need to figure out a way to secure it, but holy hell. Game changer.

Something like this is probably more secure if you have access to a 3D printer.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3322547

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The big monsters in the Nolzur's line are great and have some really expressive sculpts, but anything smaller than, say, a Beholder is just a mess. Soft detail, crazy mold lines, and the thickest primer I've ever seen. You could probably strip them and reprime to coax some of the detail back out, but I could never be bothered. Shame because they're almost as cheap as Bones and have some stuff that's hard to find good minis for.

I don't know if you had a bad batch or what but that is the exact opposite of my experience with the smaller Nolzur's.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Gonna keep the airbrush noob questions coming because I got my girlfriend this Master Airbrush Cool Runner II without the paints and we haven't taken it on its maiden voyage yet.

Do I assume you measure your primer with a pipette?

Am I going to be kicking myself that I didn't grab a compressor with a tank? My thought process was just to get a good deal on something so we could stop buying rattlecans for priming, but I didn't realize this didn't have a tank until we unpacked it.

When I first started airbrushing I diluted my usual paints, but honestly if you're mostly just priming and basecoating just buy the premade airbrush paint in the colors you need. It isn't that expensive and removes a giant headache from the process.

I am personally a fan of the Stylrenze primers. I bought a 32oz bottle of black at Gen Con 2 years ago (may be 16oz now that I think about it) and it's still going strong.

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Stynylrez.asp

I've also gotten a couple of the colored and white primers when I needed them for a whole army, but generally I prime black and then basecoat in the needed color from the badger Minitaire airbrush paint lines. Again, picked up a full set of them at Gen Con for like 70% off and just use as needed, buying larger bottles when needed to do basecoats of large armies.

http://www.minitaire.com/

There may be better airbrush paints out there, but the badget stuff works well and I can regularly get it pretty inexpensively at conventions when I need to. I haven't felt a need to branch out from their brand. I might feel differently if I used my airbrush for more detail stuff, but other than doing some candy coats that usually doesn't happen.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Just for some examples, these 10mm scale minis were primarily painted via airbrush a couple of years ago. Primed black, basecoated in some type of brown, then some of the vehicle detail was done with an airbrush (minitaire paints) and some brush hilighting.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

It isn't exactly cheaper but I've bought one of these and started 3d printing my own miniatures. It opens up a lot of options for getting more obscure miniatures, depending on how much you're willing to tweak 3d models, and then you can print as many of them as you want. At 3 dollars a mini, it would pay for itself after 90 or so guys, if you include a 40 dollar bottle of resin.

How happy are you with the resolutions? We just got in a Form 3 and naturally one of the first thigns I printed on it was a 28mm scale Dachshund (5.5mm tall) and I am pretty happy with how it came out:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

PinheadSlim posted:

I want like 10 of those to mount my 6mm Squats on so bad

This is the file for the dachshunds, just scale it properly before you slice it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:182122

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Does anyone have a favorite air brush cleaning tutorial? I've been airbrushing for a few years now (self taught) and its something I still really suck at doing well and it always makes me want to just not use my airbrush for anything more than priming and base coating armies.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
How you are all causing mass injury to yourselves drilling? Are you not using pin vises?

I think I've only ever done a subassembly once and it was for a 52mm bust I wanted to do a particularly good job on. No way would I do subassembly for work with armies.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Just saw the Austrailia fire relief miniatures Reaper is doing. I love the Koala with a spear:

https://www.reapermini.com/australia

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Get a foam lined pistol case from a store like Gander Mountain or Walmart or some other sporting goods store. It's like $5, works great, but the foam can remove paint over time.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/ is the only place to go for your magnet needs.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Finished up some rabbit minis based on the rabbits found in the margins of medieval manuscripts. First things I've painted in a while, used them as a starter before I jump into painting the 30ish 40k Sisters of Battle minis I just assembled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Verisimilidude posted:

Where did you get these??

Originally kickstarter but they now sell them here:

http://www.skullncrown.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=88