Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Those are awesome and the bases are rad as hell! What are you using them for?

Nothing really, its just for fun. Maybe I can find a dungeon crawler to use them in.

Im trying replicate the frostgrave soldier bases

Kevin Dallimore does it better tho :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Yeast posted:

Oh poo poo, my Girlfriend just surprised me with this;

I'd told her a few months ago I was moving to Scale, and she used a voucher for a flgs.

:flashfap:

How do these paints differ from Vallejo or Citadel?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Welp, time to buy new paint i guess.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
"Good thing I don't need any new paint!"

*clicks on the miniatures painting thread*

When it gets here, I'll post my experience with it.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I don't typically thin my washes either. If they're gunking up your mini, you're using too much. They're already water thin!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
My Scale75 paints came in today (thanks Noble Knight Games!)

My first impression is that you have to shake the everloving bajeesus out of them

e: My OTHER impression is that they stay active on my palette quite alot longer than any of my Citadel or Vallejo paints, which is something I quite like

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 11, 2017

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I have never gotten real-actual primer off with Simple Green. It only takes off paint.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Yeast posted:

Not even kidding, I've ordered a tiny paint shaker for $40, and some actuators.

They also take super well to glaze mediums, and retain their matte finish, if you like glazing, or want to get into it, it's a great range for it.

Today I finished my first mini painted entirely with Scale, I'll post some pics up later.

I am indeed doing some glazing these days. Which medium do you like to use? I've had the same pot of Lahmian for a long time but it's almost out so I can switch

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Assuming it wasn't over-primed and that you make sure to really clean all the stripper off of it, would the primer still be okay to use?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The main difference is their original paint line is normal colors, and now they have a Fantasy line where they are doing some more unusual colors with heavier pigment but mostly just have more goofball names.

Is the Fantasy range still ultra-matte? I didn't see any labels claiming it was, so I didn't buy any :saddowns:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I guess I should probably learn to properly matte-varnish stuff if I'm gonna use this fancy-rear end paint. I haven't painted a full model with it yet as my colors are still limited, but it is indeed the bees knees

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I got some more Scale 75 paint and wanted to see if I could demonstrate the extra-matte effect

The green colors from left to right
Vallejo Heavy Black Green
Citadel Kabalite Green
Scale 75 Boreal Tree Green

You can see the effect a bit better here:

The dirt is Scale 75, the leaves and stones are done with a mix of Citadel and Vallejo. They look like stickers they are so much more glossy

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I'm moving away from washes personally, except for specific, targeted applications. I love them for doing things quickly, but there's a (relatively high) ceiling on the quality they can give. The brown/black washes desaturate where they settle.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

dmnz posted:

Finished the last troll and based the unit.
I'm not sold on the vomit, it came out more orange than I was aiming for.
I'll leave it a bit tho and probably decide I like it in time.

This completes an oath from about a year ago or something absurd like that.

Front rank:

Rear rank:

Squad goals:

Awesome!

I have my first Scale 75 complaint. The color indicators on the box sets are, at best, wild guesses of what the actual color is.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

drat son

I probably won't finish this model, but I really enjoy my new scale 75 paints. I should've just ordered the full set because I've probably bought 75% of the range by now..

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

gilljoy posted:

Which range are you using? The regular or the fantasy range?

Its the regular range.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Chill la Chill posted:

Last night, I found a nice sunset orange mix. I will probably make a bunch of ships in this color to go with the purple. Will probably have to redo the boots to neon green as this ended up much more saturated than I was planning.

I've been trying to get this rough cel shaded look and it's tough. Have you done this style with larger minis before? I'm thinking of doing it with a 40k tau crisis suit, but it's a fine line between cel shaded and new painter who doesn't know how to do thin edge highlights.

Its a new look I'm experimenting with, never done anything large with it. Seems to work best with nice clean flat colors. So multiple thin layers to full coverage and NO WASHES

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
So my personal experience is that they are awesome. The colors are rich and the extra-matte looks great and makes taking photographs easier, so if you like that aspect of mini painting, I think they're worth it. They also take longer to set so they are easier to blend/mix.

These are the cons:
- you gotta shake this poo poo like you wouldn't believe (it stays mostly shook for a few days after tho)
- Color range isn't as wide as Citadel/Vallejo
- I've never seen them in a store, so you'll have to order them
- Cost more than Vallejo (but still less than Citadel)
- The color indicators on the box sets are totally inaccurate, you'll have look at the bottles themselves
- No "Extra Opaque" options, but you can use other paints for that since you're painting over it anyway

I'm trying out some yellows now. Bizarrely, the bright yellow seems to get better coverage than the brown yellow

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I get it from Noble Knight Games on Ebay because they ship it so quickly. There are other sellers that sell it for a bit less

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
One last thing: I haven't actually tried to game with any minis painted with Scale 75. It MIGHT need a varnish to protect it. Maybe someone else can weigh in on that? (one of the things I like about Citadel paints is that they seem virtually indestructible on plastic models)

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
finally finished a goddamn tiny mans

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
15mm Copplestone Dwarf. Needs some snow..

First pic captures the color pretty good, not sure why the others are washed out

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

berzerkmonkey posted:

The second two are washed out because of overexposure to the white background. The penny is offering a contrasting color that the camera is picking up on and adjusting to - similar to the gray card photographers use.

Huh. poo poo is complicated. Maybe I should try a non-white background

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I made a friend for my dorf man. Also played around with some crushed glass snow effect, that was fun

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
More 15mm

The wizard is a repaint, which I think was a mistake. Some of the detail was so fine I couldn't get the previous paint out and it made it hard repaint without making mistakes

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Zuul the Cat posted:

Yep! Chaos black undercoat, because I hate myself.

I actually totally get why people airbrush. Painting yellow over black with a brush is a Sisyphean effort. I just cannot get the paint to look smooth no matter how many thin layers I paint.

Use Vallejo Heavy Gold Brown for all your yellow on black base coat needs!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Zuul the Cat posted:

How should I highlight a black cloak that's been painted Abaddon Black? i know grey works, but it's a bit too much of a contrast for my taste. I was thinking Incubi Darkness, then a fine highlight of Dark Reaper. Any suggestions?

Blue, Brown, Green or Gray will all work, but you're going to have mix your colors to keep the lighting subtle. You want to start with a highlight that's a mix of Incubi Darkness and black first, then move on to pure Incubi Darkness, then edge with something else lighter

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Moar 15mm!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Fish and Chimps posted:

I just wanted to say I love your 15mm dudes.

Thanks! Its a very underappreciated scale I think.

There's some interesting stuff coming out of shapeways:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZUKP49X6B/skeletons-fantasy-miniatures-set?optionId=60786352

I've got a set of these arriving in the mail this weekend:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Its for Frostgrave

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

berzerkmonkey posted:

How big is your board when playing with 15mm? What are you using for terrain?

I plan to use the standard size board. Actual Terrain is TBD

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

dmnz posted:

The metals on this guy is blowing my mind.

I could try and make a tutorial or something. It took me forever to find a way to make a copper I like

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Xaerael posted:

X-Posting from the Infinity thread...

Couldn't help dicking around with UV reactive paint on my Speculo, since her weapon is clearly a loving lightsaber... (poo poo phone photos because I had to set up a micro-studio on the display shelf under my blacklight)

Unlit

Blacklight + House light

Just Blacklight :rock:

That's cool as hell!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Finished 3 more dwarfs. I'm gonna take a short break from painting and then see if I can replicate my copper from earlier and post the process

warband so far:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I am assembling some minis to paint and I see people are talking about my bases. So I thought I'd take some pics and talk about bases.

Fact #1: I loving hate bases. I have spent years trying to make bases I didn't hate. No matter what I did, the base and the mini always felt like separate projects with a shot gun wedding.

Anyway, if you want to make my rock bases, they're pretty easy to do. These are 15mm but it will work for larger.

Get yourself a cutting tool and file and just worry at the edges a bit. You can run the edge of the file into the base to make straight fissures, and use the knife blade to "sculpt" angular rock shapes. You get something like this:

Fact #2: I loving hate rocks. Don't get rocks from outside, it looks WAAAY too organic next to a sculpted mini. Miniatures are cartoons. GW miniatures are all angular and poo poo. Instead, make some rocks using bits of sprue:

Cut yourself a square and then pare it down into an irregular angular shape. It should look like this:

Fact #3: I loving hate sand. Unfortunately, alot of my 15mm models are cast on textured bases so I'm stuck using basing sand to blend with it. If you get some sand, make sure its really fine grain.

Fact #4: I REALLY loving hate static grass. Just toss that poo poo and get some actual tufts. I'm using tufts from Army Painter. They're pretty large for 15mm and probably for alot of 28mm, so get a small pair of scissors and trim your bush

Once this model is painted, I'll cut one of these down to size and add it. Interesting thing I've heard but never tried: you can paint tufts like these!

I also apologize for my gross rear end cutting mat. Who knows what those stains are!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

A guy at my FLGS just shouted, who wants a ghetto demon prince? And this is what he gave me:

:pwn:

Can I save this? How hard is it to clean up green stuff?

Toss that in the unspiration thread!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Finally got around to painting a bit more. 15mm Barbarian and some treasure tokens

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Doesn't take that long at that size. That's why I like 15mm!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Tried my hand at some of my Armada junk laying around. Still working on the bases, but thought I'd share a pic before I try to varnish them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Arthil posted:

Kind of realizing I have no idea what size of a base to get for this Frost Giant King.

Going by the comparison mini being probably on a 25mm base, what might I need to shoot for? My best guess was an 100mm base but that might be shooting too big.

Stick a 25mm under each foot