Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Yay, a chance to post something. Painting a Maggoth Lord right now, recently moved, sapped all my will to paint for the last three months, hopefully I'm back on track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
I have these (same style at least). Had them for years. Served me well for finer clipping needs. Although I didn't pay close to $20 for them.

http://www.micromark.com/tweezer-sprue-cutter-despruing-tweezer,8012.html

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Bachtere, how did you get that mossy rock effect for that boar mini? I've got a few minis set up for that it I didn't know how to go about it.

The actual technique for the basing is layered cork for height, something called Sculptamold for the generic texture of the ground, and super-glued flock on top of that. I snapped this picture of the Maggoth Lord I'm working on, same idea. I like Sculptamold a lot, I want my bases to be very organic, it does that naturally. Same stuff I used for the entirety of the griffon/cockatrice diorama base.

As for the painting, a lot of washes, and I wasn't too concerned with getting the green of the moss on the non-flocked portion of the base. I went back to the original picture and cropped out the base, and only resized it a little so you could look at the painting in detail.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Hey, I finished a thing! This year no less!

I believe I started this back in February. Finished the main body, some of the horns, then abandoned it while I binge watched TV shows and read a lot. Finished the vomit, rider, base, and touch ups over the last two days. Hopefully this gets me back on track, I have a lot of Mierce, other random stuff I need to get started on.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Bachtere, do you have a album somewhere I can download? You always have amazing stuff I'd like to learn from.

I've been using the same photobucket account since I've been on the forums. Everything is in there, though it is a pain to navigate. I need to look at getting everything up and available somewhere else. I have over 1200 cropped and named "good" pictures of my miniatures.

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/bachtere/library/?sort=3&page=1

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Some Reaper figs. The angel has been primed for about a quarter of my life, finally got around to painting it yesterday. The other three are Bones figures, painted them all today. I 100% recommend Army Painter primer for Bones, I painted some last year with just a base layer of regular paint down and no primer and paint would rub off non-stop while handling them. Army Painter solved that problem.

NWS: Reaper naked succubus

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Skarsnik posted:

Roboute Guilliman Incoming

Proper pleased with how he turned out, and it was a lot more enjoyable to paint than I originally thought it was going to be

That's great all around. Love the metallics though, especially the sword.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Griminn, a bird man from the first Mierce Kickstarter.

Next up is the Belech demon, also from Mierce.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Finished up the Troll from the first Stonehaven Kickstarter. I fgured I hadn't painted enough orange pieces:

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Last thing I (mostly) finished painting back in September 2015. Painted everything but the base, it has been sitting around since.

First thing I painted after 2 years off:

Four of Reaper's Halloween chibi figures I've painted in the past few weeks to shake the rust off (posted in painting order):

And a group shot with the other chibis I painted three years ago:

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Reaper Indy mousling painted last week, Dwarf Engineer from Avatars of War painted yesterday. Getting through the old back log of stuff I primed three years ago one tiny figure at a time:

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Finished pieces from the last two weeks:

Scibor's Snowman Slayer

Reaper's Logan, Dwarf Warlord

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
After 5 years off, I finally painted some miniatures recently. I had moved into a house from my tiny apartment, living with another pserson, have pets, just lost my motivation. I feel like my photo taking skills suffered as much as my painting, I can't get anything in focus to save my life.

This guy was actually my first mini after the layoff. I kept on meaning to get going with an entry into Reaper's quarterly painting contest on their Facebook group, after not doing that for over a year, I finally dug in with this one. I felt the rust big time painting this, but the chibi Halloween figures when a little better.

Hopefully this will get me going to keep painting this and that every month.

Bachtere fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 31, 2020

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Alrighty, I am selling the bulk of my miniature collection, and I wanted to make sure as many eyes saw the auctions on eBay as possible, because there are some bargains to be had and I want them to find a good home (that is not my home).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?item=126021084786&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562&_ssn=bachtere

I started painting back in 2000 when I was in high school. Even back then, I loved the idea of just collecting miniatures almost as much as painting them. They are small and cool and you can tuck them away in a closet quite easily. I always told myself, “one of these days”, as the collection grew and grew, even as I was actively painting quite a bit. The last ten years or so, my painting has dropped off to almost nothing. It was great to do solo in a one bedroom apartment, not so much in a house with a girlfriend and cats and dogs. But I would still buy new figures; Kickstarters were great for growing the collection. Over the years I was able to override that urge to horde and have sold this and that, easier to sell items like new in box GW plastic and Confrontation metals. Which still left me with a poo poo ton of models.

And a poo poo ton of models are currently up on eBay. I have roughly 85 auctions ongoing, ending this Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and next Tuesday. Sadly, a lot of this collection is niche and won't draw much interest. All started at roughly 75% off of retail, these are probably once in a lifetime prices for some of these models. If you just want something to paint, no need to pay 2023 gaming prices, prices are partying like its 1995 in my lots. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out of eBay or here, happy to help get them answered.

Reaper metal – 30 lots of 9 figures each, these end next Tuesday
Mierce resin, a massive amount of figures from their Kickstarters over the years. Super detailed resin figs, all shapes and sizes, races, monsters
GW plastic, no new in box, though some complete unassembled sprues, odd this’s and that’s
Avatars of War metal, GW rip off heroes and villains
Confrontation metal Orcs, the last of my Confrontation figs
Dust Tactics plastic walkers
Eden metal, Japanese inspired robots
Enigma metal, dark fantasy
Gamezone metal, GW army copycats but with their own style
Dystopian Wars, resin fleet battle
Uncharted Seas and Firestorm Armada, older resin fleet battles
Greebo metal, huge lot from their Kickstarters
Helldorado metal, both new and assembled/based
Imbrian Arts metal and resin, Confrontation-esque, cool models
Kensei metal, enormous lot of Japanese mythological creatures
Kingdom Death, no cheesecake, just some cool knights
Raging Heroes resin, another enormous lot from Kickstarters
Red Box Games resin and metal, great barbarians
Relic Knights plastic
Ron and Bones metal, pirates
Scibor resin, huge lots, both Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Smog and Mauser Earth resin, 1:35 scale alternate earth
Stonehaven metal and resin – Hundreds of metal figures from multiple Kickstarters, 24 troll/giant figures
Warmachine/Hordes – Cryx/Menoth/Minions lot

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Thanks for the reminder, hopefully that will help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Beffer posted:

Bachtere i remember when you used to post your painted minis. I always loved your paint style. Glowing colours and very deliberate painterly marks. I haven’t seen any of your work in years. Can you post some of the stuff you’ve been doing lately?

Thanks! To make everyone who remembers those Bretonnians feel old, that was over 13 years ago. My Instagram handle is bachtere as well if anyone wants to hop on and take a trip down memory lane of all of my good stuff over the years.

Here are some of my more recent* minis:

*3-5 years ago