Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I've started painting again after maybe more than a decade away from warhammer (I'm only kind of ashamed) Last time I used citadel paints they were still in screw lid pots, are these new ones any good or do they dry the gently caress out like always?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I will defo look into droppers, I work in a tattoo place so I'll see about maybe grabbing some off our supplier wholesale :v:

(Also inkpots and alcohol which has already proven very handy)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
At home and my brother mentioned there was a load of models still in the attic so we had a look. Found an old toolbox full of bits. Things hadn't weathered so well in it and old bits of poly cement had yellowed, but I did manage to snag this guy:

Check out that 1999 paint job. There's also a fully painted Ghazkul Thraka that someone found at a Carboot sale and gave to me. Nice job on it. I'll see if I can get the paint off Aenur here.

Other box we found was from way later, like 2011 when I could paint a bit better and had some pots in! Some purple which I'm delighted to find because my GW order still hasn't shipped. I managed to get 10 pots of various ages that were still liquid. 3 that were borderline that I managed to stir back into shape and a bunch that were wither empty or just solid acrylic. Most surprising was a pot of whatever they called the tan pink flesh tone in 1996, which is when I got that pot along with a bottle of orange wash from that era that. tbh I don't know what I'm ever going to do with..

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh man Corax White is my current source of white paint. I bought the hobby starter kit and while the pliers are actually better than my gunpla ones some of these colours are kinda gross. What happened to throwing in some snakebite leather or blood red?

I'll be bookmarking this page for undercoat advice :)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Makin progress 😊

Hell yeah Votanns, I'm so enamoured with these models since I got mine last week. If my current colour scheme looks like rear end Trans Hyperion is my fall back plan.

Also my paint bottles showed up today, I managed to fill 10 with uh... medium mess. I thought they'd come with pippetes and instead came with funnels and some of this paint is thick as poo poo!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Trying out my paints on a guy I found

I uh, maybe went over his legs too much

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Eej posted:

If it bugs you just go over it with dark grey or black and now he's got pants

I think they are supposed to be tights but I just had to get some ork thighs out. I kept getting drops of other colours on and had to go over it again and again and I think it looks over done now..

On the other hand I think I finally got the hang of watering this paint down with the purple it's nice and smooth.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Lol I popped into grab a nice grey to undercoat with and some wash and ended up grabbing like 4 other paints. I have to be careful about this...

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Lamuella posted:

I love the fake names for these knockoffs. Weprintminiatures do a wide range of Arnold Schwarzeneggers from different movies and they're all called Barry Mcguffin.

https://weprintminiatures.com/products/barry-mcguffin-future-war-scifi-miniatures

Welp now I have some more mens to paint..

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The designer of that miniature, Papsikels, they do a lot of pop culture stuff. Aliens, Terminator, and a lot of Predator. They even have some bizzaro pin-up predator lady models.

I got Cloud, Tifa, what I think is a Boomer from Bubblegum Panic? and 3 of their fake NCPD patrol men.

Not for any real reason, I just wanna paint em all

I'm not sure if it's the same sculptor but I did notice on that site there's female versions of hero quest models, dame poses and all and while female versions of classic models are cool they could probably do with wearing more clothes.

That said I was this close to grabbing a legally distinct He-man so I could practice painting bare skin so can I really say anything?

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 12, 2023

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cthulu Carl posted:

Have you tried Sprue Goo?

Take a like, I guess a half-empty bottle of Tamiya or the thin plastic cement of your choice, throw in chopped up bits of sprue until you get.. Well, a goo.

I'm sorry, the stupid harmful poo poo I did with glue as a 10 year old is actually a viable modelling technique now?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Having fun with this guy, but I do kinda feel like I'm failing to get the point between paint applying smoothly or as a watery mess and it kinda piled up on the model?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So far I've been doing base coats of citadel (Russ Grey) like back in the day and I'm wondering if things would look better primed properly. I'm not really in a situation where I can gently caress about with spray paint so I'll probably get some to brush on? Only thing I'm wondering is if that's something safe to do and let dry indoors?

If not I'll stick with my paints. Not having access to a garage or a garden is a bit limiting..

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Thanks, got some on the way

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Still practicing on random minis I found in the attic. This HeroQuest Chaos wizard was missing a hand but I had an old zombie hand to repair him.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
She just plasma'd that guy to death :hellyeah:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Thanks for the advice about black brush on primer the other day, it showed up today and I primed a few HeroQuests that I rescued (the previous owner used airfix enamel paint on them). I was a bit worried with how sticky it seemed to get but now that it's had a few hours it looks smooth.

Currently painting up someone from one of the expansions that.. I'm pretty sure he's just Gandalf. They just sculpted a Gandalf

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Finished up this guy today.

These HeroQuest models are kind of great

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Looks like someone at We Print Miniatures hosed up when sending my models and reported 211 euros worth of stuff in there and now I owe about 55 quid in VAT :negative:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Z the IVth posted:

A skullse now

Hell yeah

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Jonny Nox posted:

apparently the new magic amazon search term is "Souffle Cups" but "portion cups" should work well too

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07TL61SC3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(CW: Canadian pricing.)

I've been using ink cups from a local tattoo stockist that are pretty cheap by the 100.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Still waiting for paints to show up so I did another Hero Quest wizard. I had a lot of red sitting around in the bottom of bottles, so he's VERY RED
Still cant for the life of me light this guy well enough to get my phone to focus right :sweatdrop:

Edit: Wait I got it to focus!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 31, 2023

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I really like Averland Sunset, it's such a nice muted yellow over something off white and it's golden enough over white.

That said I really hate using yellow in my own art...

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh can I ask, for those here that have done industrial safety chevrons on models, what a good approach is to it? First time I tried freehanding black over the yellow, and it was ok, I had better luck with a fineline pen, but I'm thinking next time to try some tape, all I have is electrical tape atm but I'm a bit concerned about stripping paint off the model when I remove it

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So I keep noticing I've been stripping paint (but not my primer) off the edges of models when I pick them up. Am I not throwing enough paint on there? Am I too rough maybe or do I got oily hands that strips acrylic off?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oooh thanks for the quick replies. He hasn't been varnished yet because he's still I'm progress but I'll look into it after. I keep flipping him and taking him out of my holder to paint details on his feet and that's when I seem to do it.

Here's a wip btw

He's still Blutak only atm. I'm looking forward to trying the safety stripes on his shoulders next

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh the op mentioned popping a layer of gloss over areas you wanna save. So say for example these warning stripes I want to do on the shoulders? I'd coat them in varnish, let them dry, and if I gently caress it up I can wipe it down with isopropyl without stripping anything beneath the varnish? Am I interpreting that right?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh yeah I have a heap of those really long lids for deodorant that I have a heap of guys blutaked to. I also have some regular coke lids that I have fitted into a grip. And then a heap of sprue sticking up with arms dangling off.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Z the IVth posted:

Regarding your paint question, what primer are you using? It's actually quite unusual to have paint rub off plastic minis in that way. It's usually a problem with metal as paint to metal doesn't adhere very well. Paint to plastic is usually a very strong bond and won't abrade unless your layers are really thin - and your paint application is on the thicker side.

Vallejo black and Grey. Done it with both so far, with Citadel paint

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 8, 2023

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So I just stripped my test Hearthkin again and repainted him quickly now that I know what I wanted, finished him up and then when I went to glue him together finally realised that this isn't like the old 3E spacemarines where all the arms fit together with each other. Oops.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I believe I have located the correct opposite arm at least! I'm excited to get it painted up so I can varnish this sucker and show him off.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I'm willing to say he's done! I'm pretty happy with this colour scheme, so now I just have to paint twenty more of these guys!!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Use your arms and shake really really hard

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I dunno GW are doing pretty great with THE FANG (also a nice shade of gunmetal imho)

Here's a wip from my Sunday

I wish I had access to the rest of the minis from the Doom boardgame but alas. This guy had been so much fun to paint

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I finished up my Cacodemon today. I'm so happy with how he turned out!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Ok I was dumb and I ordered some 3d printed stuff, which so far I've had ok luck with but this stuff that came is some kind of polymer that poly cement wont stick, tbh I could barely get primer on it. I've tried Gorilla glue but the way it expanded both coated the model in crud and actually pushed parts apart as it expanded. Is superglue a way to go or am I stuck with Polymer or greenstuff. Mixing Polymer seems daunting

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Geisladisk posted:

Poly cement works by melting together plastic and doesn't work on anything except the very specific plastic it is designed for. I dunno what gorilla glue is, but superglue is the way to go for gluing 3d printed stuff, yeah.

I've never had any issues with primer not sticking to 3d printed models. Have they been cleaned and cured properly? Does the model have a glossy sheen and is slightly sticky to the touch? If so, the seller didn't do their job properly. Stick the model in some alcohol and then leave it by a open window on a sunny day for half a hour and it should be good.

Yeah it has a very noticable sheen to it and is very hard and white, compared to the other 3d printed stuff I got in that kind of slightly translucent blue/grey. I'll give it a rinse and try dig out some superglue in the house

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Winklebottom posted:

It's the world's second-favorite monkey-tailed protagonist, Zidane!

Oooh that flesh shading is so nice.

Also yeah lemme tell ya chipping expanded gorilla glue off a mini isn't difficult but it's not fun either.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The one above the Trans one is the Non-Binary flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I keep buying units because I like their armor a lot...

I grabbed a squad of Cultists and Atalans and managed to snag some Orlock Quad bikers to go along with em and now I'm thinking of converting an ork trukk or something... And then I spent.. an amount of money on hooded cultist heads..

I also got a hand drill and it's already helped me paint so much