Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Nice work!

..I just bought 10 second-hand genestealer hybrid torsos for the same reason.

Oooh cool, what are you pairing them with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm currently using a mix of their grey and black to prime, though mainly because I was being thick and figured grey would mean some kind of mid way point between white and black and not just basically white.

I really have to shake the poo poo out of Vallejo though.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I wasn't going to touch these cultists until my spare heads showed up for the and then I realised between the Jackals and Neophytes I had two opposite arms holding TNT

I took the opportunity to try a different colour for the harness and I think I like this one way more.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I finished another cultist! My heads got delayed by British Air traffic control dying and I was going nuts.

These guys really have a grip on me, I'm like halfway through the Wolfquad already

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I use 91% isopropyl alcohol (available in the pharmacy section of just about any big box retail store) all the time with pretty good results. Just be careful if you have any resin minis you need to strip, as IPA will either melt them or turn them into Gumby. It's perfectly fine for regular hard plastic minis, though.

Yeah I'd second this, my main source of Isopropyl was a bottle of it for fixing joycon drift but I've since bought a load of it in my local chemist.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Finished (or finished enough) my wolf quad tonight. I had a lot of fun with him, I got to learn weathering for parts, I've a load of different metals all over the vehicle, some building site yellow on the servo arm, some details on the suspension and stuff that no one will ever look at, but I know it's there.

Only real complaint I have is that the feckin bendy bit that holds the bumper on snapped under the tension caused by my pliers cutting the sprue, I gotta be more careful about that. I also ended up having to cut off the nub for the handle bars and pin it myself because my primer clogged up the join..

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Redid my test cultist from the other week with the newer harness colour and new head

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I just like painting little mens

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Got a cool mini off etsy pretty cheap, gonna use him as a Magus for the Cult.

He was feckin hard to paint with all those pipes goin everywhere!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It's really hard to paint when any temperature over 21 degrees gives me the shakes. We've had the wettest summer on record and the hottest September aughh

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

hooman posted:

Where did you get those heads from?

Anvil Industries
https://anvilindustry.co.uk/plague-doctor-masks-7

I also got a bunch of their hooded and masked cultist heads. They're pretty good.

I actually ended up ripping this lad's arms off and regluing them. I'm having the worst time getting the arms to align on a lot of my models atm..

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

!amicable posted:

huh, whats the inspo for the colour scheme?

I love videogame cultists, like from Blood and the Las Plaga from RE4. But Satanic cultists especially so that's were the black, red and purple come from. I've decided to like work backwards from that and say the red is for workers and the purple is for genestealers.

The blue/grey harness I had a weird shade of brown/peach, trying to make it look kind of plastic, but I tried again with this colour and liked it way more. It ended up working out for the wolf quad I did too

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Finished up another Cultist tonight

Arms, gun and head from Anvil Industries again.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

Anvil Industries
https://anvilindustry.co.uk/plague-doctor-masks-7

I also got a bunch of their hooded and masked cultist heads. They're pretty good.

I actually ended up ripping this lad's arms off and regluing them. I'm having the worst time getting the arms to align on a lot of my models atm..

Yeah.. it was the wrong arm... I have to stop building these guys when I'm really tired after work

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Springfield Fatts posted:

Finished a Leto II as a gift for a friend.

This is so yonic, I never realised the original illustration made him a fat hog with a clit at the top.

Also nice work!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I finished a model, had it glossed varnished to protect it while I assembled it and ended up dumping a huge glob of superglue all over its shoulders :negative:
It immediately crusted and crystallised.

I've it fully stripped, all the glue off and it's got all the base colours on again now, so it's not a total loss. But man I had to get up from my desk and take a little walk after that

E: forgot I took a photo of it. I think I'd done a real good job on her too!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 18, 2023

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Finished up that model I spilled glue on

I also took a nicer pic of my wolf quad

My wife got me a goliath truck and a Ridgerunner and then I managed to nab a and army in a box and a saboteur and I guess I'm all in on this cult

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cthulu Carl posted:

If anyone needs some modern minis, Anvil Industry just announced that they're going to be doing a Payday-themed set on Kickstarter

Looks like it's just for STLs, but wouldn't be surprised if they release physical models in their store like they do for the Digital Forge sets.

They just added the Stalker and Mandolorian sets on an on demand basis, so I'd be hopeful. (I also really want a print of their pickup truck)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Southern Heel posted:

Lol however did countless generations of artists and modellers survive without their vortex mixers? It is a secret lost to time…

Tumble dryers

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I kind of made a mistake last week and tried to batch paint these Jackals

I tried to make these guys a lot brighter and I think it was successful, I got their packs, heads and weapons to finish off and I'm sure I'll find some shite I forgot to paint because of ADHD

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I got my Jackals finished!

The amount of detail on these models are nuts, Like I was mostly ok with the bikes and the riders, but then suddenly it's like here's 8 saddlebags all with wildly different equipment strapped to it. Go nuts. I'm really happy with how they turned out :3:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Just finished up my Saboteur. She has one of my Jackal's heads instead of her regular one, her blast goggles are in place for a detonation. Lot happier with my Hybrid skintone this time and got to practice some Chitin too. She's a cool model but then again so are like 99% of the rest of the cult.

I have a Kelermorph cleaned and ready to prime but I'm actually going to build a vehicle next because these boxes are loving big

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Tonight I decided to relax with some skin practice.

First guy is Bugmans glow with some purple ink and highlights redone in Bugmans again. Simple and effective(?)

Uhh this guy is a load of vallejo flesh tones that I eventually ended up mixing lilac with my ink and giving up trying to do base->layer-> highlight and just started mixing purples... Which looks good but there's no way my adhd rear end is gonna remember what I mixed

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I actually regret salvaging some of my old Citadel paints because I discovered I love how Liche Purple blends as a midtone over deep purple and every alternate colour I can find for it is off slightly and my brain hates it

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I really gotta stop trying to light these guys. It's just not going to happen with how little these lamps spit out. Maybe I should just go outside or something

Another Genestealer hybrid done!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
OK I think my maximum amount of minis I can focus on at once is two.. And I actually paint them about as fast as I do a single one! Thanks ADHD! I also painted these guys slightly brighter than even my last guys and I think finally took the kind of photos I've wanted to!

Heavy flamer guy got a classic flamer paintjob. He's got a cool Cawdor head I got off a bits site

She's a shotgunner. I made her skin waaay too deeply purple again by mistake. She's the wrong arms too I think which make her look a little mutated.. Head's from Anvil Industries.

These were fun. I've got a messed up looking guy with a heavy stubber and the squad leader to do and I've finally finished this box of Hybrids!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 19, 2023

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I tried my first power weapon today. I tried a gradient so subtle, my camera won't pick it up!

Also I dunno how people manage to do all these hairline highlights, but this is a goos start imo

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
poo poo I've none of those!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I finished another Neophyte. I've got another like 90% finished asides from his shotgun. 2 at a time is definitely a good pace for me. I really took my time with them and I'm really happy with him :v:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'd love to collect and paint some Shatterpoint, but man, I dunno if it's just Ireland or what but those prices are out of my range. And I'm already paying GW's premium on plastic mens.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I threw a card behind this guy and suddenly all my colours looked OK to my tired eyes. One more Squaddie left and I've... uh finished my first squad ever, asides from my Jackals.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm finally finished the sqaud!

I had a very relaxing day with this guy

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

grassy gnoll posted:

This fuckin' thing.

I really like his fur!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

I finished another cultist! My heads got delayed by British Air traffic control dying and I was going nuts.

These guys really have a grip on me, I'm like halfway through the Wolfquad already

I varnished this way back and it dried really weird and lumpy. So he tool a dip in some isopropyl (except for his head which would melt) and I repainted him.

For his head I did some washes and it managed to cover the bad varnish thankfully

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

mllaneza posted:

The wait for that head was 100% worth it. Name and fame the maker.

That hooded head and the gas mask someone commented on last week are both from Puppetswar

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Slyphic posted:

I found where your buddy got them from. https://www.amazon.com/Figures-Designs-Hex-Sized-Compatible-Pathfinder/dp/B07P72V66B

You've actually done a better job painting them than the pre-"painted" version they sell.

I can't stop laughing at the video. The sheer balls to put those words next to that picture.

I see, these are meant to represent Kobolds on a more symbolic, abstract level

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Left or right?

Oh I didnt know Robert was out here literally wearing a laurel wreath. I'd go with the helmet, you did a great job of it

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
X posting from the Wh40k thread:

Shoehead posted:

I've been posting my progress with a Genestealer Cult over in the painting thread but I dunno where to put this so I figure here is a safe bet.

I built a Sanctus out of spare parts today. This is probably what's going to get me to buy greenstuff. There's a few gaps I should fill..

I finished this guy today, I ended up getting a way better head in the Hive Scum box so now he gets to have NVGs

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I think I might have figured out how to do Trans Hyperion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

He's not finished but I think I'm pretty happy finally settling on Trans Hyperion. I still didn't like GWs official guide and I ended up slapping some honest to god like 29 year old orange wash on him and it was the last little bit to get the orange looking like high viz gear