Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You really need some photos of models in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Fyrbrand posted:

Cool I'll be the guy to immediately follow a bunch of amazing models with my own weak sauce

Maelok the Dreadbound:

I like this scheme way better than the stock one; I'll be sure to save it for when I paint mine (est. never).

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I guess I should have put up or shutted up.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Simple green won't melt plastic at any concentration. It barely eats paint.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

What scale is Captain Bond? 72mm?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

So 1/6th scale like a GI Joe? It doesn't seem as impressive then. It almost feels like it should be in a different competition.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

That's the best Mashaaf yet. Makes me wish I had one.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Converted a set of deathmarks from an old set of Warriors, and used it as a tester for my eventual Black Legion scheme. Kinda wish that I started with black Necrons to start with; I quite like it.

I'm still not happy with how my bases look. I just can't seem to get it right.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Paint it red?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I would never spray a chemical through my airbrush!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I won something like this at Nova 2012:

It came with a bunch of Series 7's. It's pretty useful and you should be able to find one at an art store.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Paint the big rocks a dark grey with a light grey drybrush, they'll stick out less. Dead dude is fine to me.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I think this is my best airbrush gradient to date:

The staff of light head is a little too harsh, and I think cleaning it up with a green filter and an edge highlight of white will do the trick. Maybe I'll try out the green ghost tint?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I would probably only airbrush one color and do brushwork with the other. Check out BuyPainted's Youtube channel as it features lots of airbrushing multiple colors.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Shachi posted:

Will do. What do you think? Prioritize the white since it would be hard to paint over the burgundy without a shitton of layers? I've watched a lot of what ScnusserfaceMinis has done with his stuff but mainly airbrushes and masks. I feel like it might not be worth the effort to do all that masking and still end up with overspray on such a small fig. Also at my current ability airbrushing takes longer anyways.

I would probably do the white on both the white and purple sections, and use the shading as a base for the purple.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Wire cutters should work. Strong rods will ruin your side cutters.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I really regret not going when I was in London in 2013 now.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I think reports say the artificer one is a rebranded S7.

The texture chisel is for spreading the overpriced basing material. If it's cheap I might get it to spread my liquitex texture around.

Edit: 8 dollars is way too much.

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 3, 2015

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

You should be proud of that streak free and perfect metallic coat.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Had to replace the nozzle on my airbrush for the first time. Poor thing was all beat up, I'll have to take better care of the new one. It brushes so beautifully now.

After like 5 years of airbrushing I finally splurged and got a quick disconnect. It's neat, but how do I get air out of the tank when I'm done for the day? Do you just leave the air in there, or flush it out of the moisture trap?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Deanut Pancer posted:

Be very careful about unscrewing those valves whilst there's any pressure in the system. They will fly out like a bullet and embedded in a floor/desk/wall/arm/face.

Is there not a pressure release valve somewhere on the tank? Looks something like this:

If you pull the pin via the ring, it opens the valve enough to start de-pressurising it. It will also automatically open if for any reason the pressure in the tank exceeds a safe value, preventing the tank from exploding.

Badger didn't think of their demographic when they designed this. There's no way my hand can reach that thing comfortably. Also wow these things get dusty after like 4 years.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Drone posted:

So I got my DV box set yesterday after hemming and hawing for a couple years about whether or not I want to get into this hobby. I finally bit the bullet and just did it, and so far I'm having fun putting the models together and painting a couple test Marines. Right now the only paints I have are the ones that came in the GW Starter Paintset (which apparently doesn't exist anymore on their webstore?). This includes: Ushabti Bone, Mournfang Brown, Imperial Primer, Mephiston Red, Agrax Earthshade, Caliban Green, Leadbelcher, and Ulthuan Grey. Like half of these have already started to dry out.. the Mephiston Red in particular, it has a huge dried-up ball of goo floating in the middle of the pot.

Since GW paints are generally a ripoff, how do Vallejo Game Color and Army Painter Warpaints stack up against each other for painting 40k stuff? I'm looking at intro sets for both of them on Amazon. For my DV models, I'll be sticking to the Dark Angels/Crimson Slaughter color schemes.

For content, here's a test marine I painted up using those intro GW paints that I already have. Nothing great, but for one of my first models I think it's fine, and it would be perfectly acceptable on a tabletop:

Looks a lot better than my first Ork. That box isn't available anymore because they're in the process of replacing their brush line, and that had the old ones in it. Call GW and get those paints replaced though, that's inexcusable and not standard.

Someone actually posted a step by step Dark Angels tutorial today, and it's pretty good. Uses a lot of paints you don't have yet though:

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2015/06/tutorial-how-to-paint-dark-angel.html

Also, don't buy the Dark Angels codex until July.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Which extenders did you get?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah you're a crazy man.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

That Thunderhawk cannot be stable on that crappy camera mount. Nothing is ever stable on those.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

That's the black goblin.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Just buy a big rear end jar of Black Lava from an art store and be set for years.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Yes. It's really nice through an airbrush. You'll have to clean the bejesus out of it afterwads though so you don't get rust.

I would have a dedicated airbrush for spraying it. A single drop of water will ruin it. Just get one of the cheap chinese ones.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah, super easy. I think I had one set rub off after a single use.

You can see the faintest bit left on the yellow bottle:

Model Color and Game Color use a stronger ink. No idea why.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

It smells like cancer and death.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Seriously, what are those bases made out of?

Smooth off the rim and paint it black, that will frame the base and make it look less weird. I'd also go for a less saturated brown.

You also need to paint the stones. They'll look less like nuts on chocolate.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Moola posted:

How do I stop PVA glue from warping things like cardboard when it dries???

Put PVA glue on the other side and hopefully the warps cancel each other out. Not joking.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

What's a good source for Silflor Grass Tufts in the US?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

$11 flat rate shipping!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

It dried before hitting the model, the only way to fix it is to strip it, unfortunately.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Hasslefree might have something. I know there's a dude matching that description in the Mars Attacks game but he's holding a raygun.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I Am The Scum posted:

Can that black lava stuff be used straight as asphalt?

Yeah, I use it as asphault on my Deadzone duders:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

If you're looking to reinvest in paints, this store is selling the Vallejo Model Color/Model Air 72 paint sets for $150, which is a fairly good deal for those sets.

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/weekly_email_specials.asp

Put the code DL15 in at the top of the page and it'll reflect when you go to checkout.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

Right, but I'm more concerned with making sure that the model has consistent colors all over, since I like painting way more than I like playing (but I also want to varnish so that I can play).

I've been playing with unvarnished metal models for 5 years now and nothing is chipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Indolent Bastard posted:

The blue wash helps, and why do your look white while theirs still looks grey?

SRM's photos have worse white balance than the expensive studio images. Your mind is filling in what you think it should look like.