Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Preshading will do lighter, more subtle shadows than postshading as you describe, and is more forgiving. Neither are better than the other, just what you're going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I don't think I've ever seen anyone paint her snake before.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Don't clearcoat, it's not really necessary when you don't have metal models anymore.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I never have and don't notice chipping.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

P3 Coal Black would be where I'd start the midtones on that. Mix in brighter turquoise for the highlights.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I use the GW air metals with a brush because the normal ones are too thick.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic1YLkpl1Do

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Stephenls posted:

...wait, is Scale75 really a division of Vallejo, or is that just something Spikey Bits made up?

They're both Spanish, so they must be the same! Who can tell them apart?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Aniodia posted:

...Tell me that's printed out. PLEASE tell me that's a printout, or a decal, or something that's not someone actually painting that whole scene at that level.

Slimnoid posted:

It's entirely possible the person printed it out on that scale and then painted directly over it. That's how I'd do it, certainly (and who would know otherwise?)

He posted plenty of wip photos, it's freehand.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

PantsOptional posted:

Looking for input here on some Hive Tyrant wings. I've been doing the skin as Seraphim Sepia over plain white, and the carapace as Emperor's Children/Carroburg Crimson/Fulgrim Pink, with the soft flesh areas such as the elbow joints and exposed muscles in Screamer Pink/Druchii Violet. I thought I would do the basic skin on the wings and maybe darken them up a little to set them apart from the "arm" of the wing, but with such a large and flat surface I've run into problems with pooling and tide marks as seen below. I slapped a single layer of base paints on to do some comparison shopping.

Do I go with:
A) Screamer Pink, to match the other soft membranes and exposed muscles;
B) Cadian Fleshtone, which gives a smoother color but is also a color not seen anywhere else in the army color scheme;
C) Attempt to somehow fix the pooling/tide mark problem and darken them up a little;
D) Something else altogether?

Watch the Duncan painting video on Mortarion, they cover how to wash areas like wings there. Might give you some ideas on how to extend your colors on the tyrant wings.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Micron pen if they're tiny.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

You'll be fine boxing them up, it's just acrylic paint. Maybe throw them in zip lock bags if you're worried about them somehow popping.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah, you'd be fine mailing those if the movers are putting your stuff on a plane. They get shipped all the time.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

LifeLynx posted:

Far be it from me to question Duncan himself, but why doesn't he use a wet palette? At least in his videos. Is it simply because GW doesn't make a wet palette like Privateer Press does, therefore he's not allowed to use it? I know he uses the Citadel dry palette pads, but every video I can see wasted dry paint on the palette.

He might use one privately, but they're not going to use anything in the videos that they don't make. There's no way he uses those palette pads in real life.

He did recommend Microsol and Set at Nova, but made sure no one from marketing was around first.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

Did some terrain today.

What's the process you used for the crates and barrels? I've got a set I need to get around to painting.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Cut off and clean up as many sprue joins as possible before it just falls off the sprue. Leave any that are going to be hidden after assembly.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

At Nova last year I took a class where we had to paint our models with Walmart size 8 brushes. Was surprisingly fun.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Duct Tape posted:

Any advice on where to go with this style of base?

I wanted to break things up a bit, so I added slate chips. But they just look out of place.

Tried drybrushing the slate to match the ground, thinking it would let it blend in more, and it just looks ... odd.

Any ideas? I've got about a thousand wooden disks to try stuff out on with no consequence, so I'm free to shoot from the hips on ideas.

It looks odd because naturally, the dust would settle on the deep parts of the slate, not the edges exclusively. Try drybrushing but avoid the edges.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

I've decided I'ma have my Marines all painted and go to Nova '19. :toxx:

I've not played a game since '08 and have been working on my boys off and on since 06

That's a good plan. What kind of marines?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Did you use hot water to clean out the brush?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

I never notice most mold lines until I'm painting, which makes me very mad but I'm too lazy to strip, scrape, and start over.

If you didn't do airbrush or blending over the mould line, you can usually just scrape it without stripping the model. Not priming that one small line isn't really going to hurt.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people say Vallejo primer goes on like a dream with a brush but that wasn't really my experience with it at all. Unless you're living in a shack in the everglades or something I'd give rattlecan primers a shot. Krylon ultraflat grey primer goes on great and should be cheap and easy to find in the US.

I live like 5 mintutes from the Everglades, you're fine with a rattlecan here.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah, the red looks so much better. Great job.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I think that you should be good to just start painting it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The fallout hobbies ones are also semi transparent. Not ideal.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Dan strip all of your Raven Guard and paint them dark gray instead

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

a7m2 posted:

What's the best way to achieve this look? I heard gray often looks boring on models so I want to avoid that while still using this really nice looking scheme.

Color modulation. There's not a single flat gray color on it, it's blended with the shadows pretty seamlessly. Along with sharp edge highlights the gray looks very crisp. I wouldn't try this on a model that size without an airbrush.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I've had bad luck layering cloaks, maybe I'll give drybrushing a chance.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Loomer posted:

I wonder if brush-on vantablack will ever be commercially viable in mini pots. If it does, I might start collecting Raven Guard.

Vantablack already looks like something's wrong at full size. On a scale model it'd be way off and just look bad.

It would be cool if it could be somehow put into a pin wash for the ultimate cell shade panel liner, but I don't think the chemistry would work for that.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Gaussian posted:

Hello, new to the hobby and of course bit off more than I can chew with Saint Celestine from Warhammer 40k. I've followed Duncan's video on how to paint her, but am underwhelmed by the paint job on her sword. I then saw this fantastic piece of art and would like to replicate (if possible) the effect on her sword and halo on her model (she's the one with wings in the upper left). I've played around with a few combinations, but can't seem to get anything satisfactory. Any ideas? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

Post what you currently have!

Painting something radiant like that is pretty difficult, as the model itself isn't going to be giving off any light. You can try blending from yellow-orange to cream to white, but that's a pretty advanced technique. You'd also want to paint some light scattering onto the model itself, to simulate the glow. This is called Object Source Lighting, and it is rather tricky to pull off convincingly.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

You can upload from the app?

Hey it works!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Asmodai_00 posted:

There's a painting discord?

The 40k discord has a channel.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

How do you do it? Paint on the Typhus, let it dry and then drybrush the rust?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Do you have a bigger version of that image? The Instagram version is postage stamp sized.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Fair enough, your description made it sound like you were picking up the paint from the pot with the brush

It still seems unnecessary though, why not just thin once instead of having to do it with every new paint load on the brush?

How do you do it?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

everythingWasBees posted:

Are any of the affordable (300 or less. Pref a lot less) pre-built spray booths fireproof? Sticking only to non-flammable paints seems rather limiting.

That really only limits you from using rattlecans. You really don't want to be spraying those indoors anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Also did some Hellblasters.

This is way too teeny