Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
probably because it's a pretty big target for what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

xthetenth posted:

And by that we mean something with destroyer grade firepower, no torps, and a citadel larger than most destroyers' hull and no weird destroyer magic.

joy of discovery. i didn't think i'd be able to tell boat silhouettes apart after a single day but nope here's this xbox sized xp pinata that also has 2/3 of it is sticking out of the water

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

ok so I read the OP regarding using AP vs HE but the pinned guide on the boats forums has a guy saying almost always fire AP provided you aim and hit the citadel or magazines, so the question is, how good do you have to be to make it worth it? It looks like you can drop people really really quickly with some good ap shots but HE offers constant output and module damage + fires. Not knowing penetration values or how/where the armour layouts of the ships doesn't make it easy either.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

grrarg posted:

Link which guide you are talking about please. Depending on when it was written/updated, it may be outdated. The value of AP vs HE has changed a few times over the course of beta. AP was godly and HE barely did damage in March-April, then HE and fires were godly while AP bounced all the time in 0.3.1. Now I think Wargaming has struck a pretty good balance between the two so that deciding which to use depends on the situation. I'm not sure which guide you were talking about so cannot say whether it is accurate or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBWlimlFPiQ

the video coincidentally dates back to march.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

Vatek posted:

Getting caught in the open sea in a low-tier BB against a good minekaze skipper is terrifying. WHERE ARE ALL THESE TORPEDOS COMING FROM :psyduck:

I think trying to face them down with your prow and keep them inside the range of your secondary guns is the best method of dealing with them. Imo a minekaze has a much much stricter margin of error than you do in your carolina or kawachi. Of course after like a day of playing I don't know how good of a minekaze I've seen yet

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

this is a fun game we can play

Vatek posted:

Upgraded minekaze has a 4km buffer zone between detection range and maximum torpedo range. Against a lone battleship that doesn't have a scout plane it's basically invisible death.

ah.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

It's the Warspite.

Edit: I haven't actually played the Warspite yet, but it's clearly the best. It's the loving Warspite.

the only thing stopping me from dropping money on the warspite is my opinion that its existence is a kind of a scummy move on WG's part because they've more or less said the RN is going to be the fifth fleet into the game behind the mostly paper trees the russians and germans are going to have. so they're flipping off people who want to play as brits with one had but exploiting full advantage of that want on the other. Lest we forget it took four loving years before a tree containing the firefly was added to tanks.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh, okay. The XP difference doesn't sound that huge (wasn't it 192k for an IS-7 from the IS-4?) but that's a lot of credits.

a ship is like, a lot of tanks put together that float

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there any way to see your gun's pen? Or the armor of a ship? I'm kind of guessing when I can pen with AP right now.

always use AP in battleships, most ap will pen japanese cruisers, same or higher tier US cruisers are a crapshoot destroyers are probably all autopen with HE anyway. If you're very far away aim high to land on decks, if you're close go for the waterline directly under smokestacks or turrets. If you're in a miyogi just click wherever because your aim has no influence on the outcome whatsoever

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

on that note, what tier is the sweet spot for credit grinding?

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Tier 3 is sort of the Tier 5 in this game because there are a lot of good ships at T3 - the St. Louis, Kuma, South Carolina...

I mean more in terms of credit scaling v repair costs

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

R. Mute posted:

I hope they'll add damage counts for the other players on the result screen. I want my team to know I did 90k damage in my Wyoming in that game we lost. I want them to know

If it's not in right now I'm pretty sure it was a conscious decision not to let players pick apart each others' performance

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

the advice to get closer with the Myogi is spot on, even if it's gun placement is terrible. shooting out to 20k because you can now after the kawachi is a bit of a trap.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

R. Mute posted:

A bad decision, imo.

same reason you only get 3 reports. they don't give a poo poo and this time around they want to give you as little means to complain as possible

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

at least with carriers unlike you can do fighter loadouts that let you cut off your nose to spite other peoples' faces without being part of the problem :dukedog:

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

PirateBob posted:

Lol, got it.

Is there any point in firing 152mm AP at BBs though, ever?

i got a citadel on a myogi with a tenryu the other day :iiam:

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

huh. I had a chance to rush down a st louis in a south carolina earlier and I was disgusted at the result. I couldn't get a single citadel on him even inside 3km and my secondaries did jack poo poo on top of that. I only came out on top because he was focused on someone else for half the fight.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

the other thing to take into account is WG's intentional paradigm where past a certain tier, repair and consumable costs will outpace what most people make in an average game. The better a player you are the higher you can reach without this being an issue. In tanks it's tier 8 for most people, dunno what it is in boats but the jump from tier 4 to tier 5 battleships from 5 ish to 17.5k is very noticable without a similar increase in profitability.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

JacksLibido posted:

Get it, the Phoenix is awesome. Fully upgraded it's on par with the St. Louis for me, just stay waaaaay back then do charges at people firing drat near full broadsides (the guns have a great traverse arc), then when you get too close burn a turn and do the same thing running away. The trick is to always be going almost directly at, or directly away from people. Don't get baited into turning broadsides, you have almost no armor. If you're going directly at or away though it's amazing how much you can dodge while still pouring on the fire. It's seriously one of my most fun ships so far.

just be mindful that unlike the st. louis you're extremely easy to citadel in a phoenix.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

I really wish they'd gently caress off with the sky in flames mission. I've effectively two mission slots because of it.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

Night10194 posted:

All three of my mission slots are Sky in Flames. All three.

:shepicide:

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

How do people survive until the loving Kongo then?

in the kawachi you point your bow toward the nearest enemy ship and hold down left click. in the myogi you point your bow toward the nearest ship and when they fire back, point your stern at them and hold left click

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

it's cool that WG's response to a widely hated mechanic in tanks that involved massive indirect damage barely moderated by too much RNG in tanks was to replace it's function in boats with a system that is the same, but removes the RNG

yaay fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 18, 2015

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

Night10194 posted:

The RNG is still there. It's called 'Did the matchmaker put me in a game where I'm outnumbered by my opposite or outtiered and can do nothing this game or do I get to feast'

oh that too. Nobody cares about arty disparity but lol if you end up in a 2v1 carrier match.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

Tank Boy Ken posted:

btw: South Carolina will stomp the St. Louis. (use AP).

only at exactly 7km, and this involves relying on tier 3 bb accuracy. NTR has bad opinions on everything else but the st louis is a broken, stupid ship. being slow in no way balances having a 10-gun broadside AND being citadel immune from same tier ships for all practical purposes.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

Poil posted:

Wait, what? You can do THAT? :negative:

even better, there's a toggle in the options interface that holds down alt for you.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

Poil posted:

What is it called? For the love of Poseidon don't leave that part out!

'alternative battle interface' under controls

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

cheese posted:

I stopped doing the "lets trade volleys at 18km" thing in my BB's a while back. Now I get in up close and personal - its the way to go.

:agreed:

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

so, ramming. The Kongo goes 30 knots so why not? I plough into a Wyoming that has 15k health, I have full. It sinks, I come away with 53 health, the first flooding tick kills me. I overextend and get shredded in another game so I suicide and T-bone a tenryu dumb enough to get caught. I have 13k health, he has 3k, we both die instantly. gently caress sake. The first one is kind of ok because ramming between battleships would be too powerful if it wasn't mutually painful, but when I stick my battlecruiser up an overgrown destroyer's rear end I expect to split it in twain and keep sailing like nothing happened.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

Krogort posted:

Premium ships don't make much more money than regular ships and the exp you make is useless unless you pay even more RL money to convert it to free XP.

my favourite moneymacking dick move from WG so far is the removal of converting exp on elite tanks to crew xp, so in a years' time, almost everybody's keeper ships will have several hundred thousand exp sitting on them doing nothing

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

WG's been flirting with adding a 'marketplace' for *years* now...I can't believe it hasn't occurred to them that signal/bonus flags could be a loving magnificent way to motivate people to play more and test the system. Sell excess flags for silver to help pay for new boats, modules, and upgrades.

a couple top clans buy out the entire market, triple prices, fygm like in every auction house mmo ever.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

OSad posted:

I understand that having fun is important, especially in a game that gets a little old the more you play it. And I do have fun playing and making money in my Kongou for instance.

But I don't enjoy playing a boat that I'm essentially done with, just to get credits with her. To me, it feels like a terrible waste of time: I'd rather just play another ship of the same tier that I'm not done with, and make credits and meaningful progress down a line with that way. It's a real destructive behavior in this game since that's just not viable past tier 8, but I just can't bring myself to play a ship for the sake of playing a ship and nothing else. It feels like I'm making zero progress.

Ironically I burned out in world of tanks for this exact reason, I have a bunch of tier 9 tanks researched but no credits whatsoever, and I don't want to play tanks I'm done with just to get credits. I'm ready to admit this is some stupid behavior on my part but my pragmatism speaks higher than fun in most cases.

this sounds more like the MMO type of videogame nerd who's wired their brain to grind for the sake of grinding than pragmatism. If you're sticking with the game all you can really do is dump money on some premium ships to fuel your habit

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

PirateBob posted:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/40321-04x-prehistorics-dirty-no-chat-mod-wows-edition/

:doh: Just like in WOT, it has started in WOWS as well. Pubbies making themselves more deaf, dumb and blind than they already were.

the official forums are tanks circa 2011 before the 45% always shoot HE Play4Fun brigade got shot down by wotlabs type posters. It looks like they bought into the ships beta en masse so they could make a save haven for their bad opinions and now they're lamenting how terrible the game is now that other people who might possibly care about playing well and winning can take part.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

ijyt posted:

Welp, apparently for hanging back and defending the cap with my battleship instead of charging straight forward into the open one-by-one like the DDs and dying makes me a bad player.

it does

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

Wade Wilson posted:

I've been sending my Erie out on waypoint runs with the Map and somehow or other having some pretty fun rail-riding games.

Set a path that goes to the cap or the first domination point, then have the remaining 4 points doubling back on a line inside the cap/going to each domination point in turn. Shoot at any enemies spotted. Die and/or have a glorious match in the confusion. Re-set the waypoints if I survive long enough/the match lasts long enough to need it.

Granted, this is Tier 1 where everyone is dumb, but it's still good for practicing leading targets while the ship is going through a turn and shooting over the tops of islands at enemies within range.

ditto about the bad habits. Get to tier 3 and start flailing around there, chikumas and chesters is its own little microcosm. If it's like tanks it's ok to be poo poo for 5000 battles or so

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

do the secondary battery modifications have a significant enough effect to make them worthwhile on any battleships at bullying smaller ships, or are there any battleships that innately have accurate secondaries as a gimmick? I managed to ram a destroyer in my Kongo last night and the satisfaction of doing that has led me to want to make a boats career out of going full retard

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

The Japanese ships with secondaries that can push out to 10km can also reduce a destroyer from full hp to dead in one attempted torpedo run with some above average dice rolls, and I've seen them either citadel or extremely high damage roll cruisers

Magni posted:

The IJN line in general has better secondaries than the american BBs. Outstanding ones are the Nagato, Izumo and Yamato. Nagato with the upgrade and a captain has 7km range on her secondary battery and a load of guns firing about 45° off her forward axis to both sides while Izumo and Yamato can push theirs up to almost 10km - Yamato has a secondary broadside of 12x5in and 6x6in that can do pretty nasty things to cruisers and destroyers.

:getin:

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

alright trip report. Replaced the main battery accuracy with the secondary range+accuracy one on the Kongo. Throwing away 500k hurts when you're not running premium. First two games were meh and it made no difference in a close range brawl with a New York and Wyoming but on the one after that the secondaries took down a DD and Kuma trying to torp me practically by themselves. A++ would mount again

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Well it's not a premium Bismarck. But a real toy Bismarck + some premium stuff http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/Italeri-Bismarck/

you know I bet it took a lot of fighting within WG to go against marketing and not have the launch nations be RU/GER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

As far as I can tell though, the Russian tree would have to be tiny as all hell.

A couple decent cruisers (Kirov/Maxim Gorky) maybe but otherwise weren't their few battleships during WW2 obsolete early dreadnoughts and they had literally zero aircraft carriers until like 1975?

donut shiiip